You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Unknown Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

My Unknown Visitor

 

I don't know if this would qualify as a true ghost story, but it certainly gave me pause. I lost my daughter back in 2004. Understandably it was unexpected and put me into a state of shell shock. I took to going to the cemetery and would just sit by her gravesite, sometimes crying uncontrollably. I was so distraught that my husband on more than one occasion found me lying on top of her grave. I'm sure he thought I was losing my mind which I felt like I was.

One day I was there and as usual, was kneeling over her grave crying to the point that my body was shaking. I felt something lay a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a man standing there. He was rather short and meticulously dressed. I had no idea who he was or what he was doing there. He talked to me and told me that I needed to get ahold of myself, my daughter was fine, and my family at home needed me. He said all this in a slightly disciplinary voice. I'll admit it was a bit scary the way he was talking and looking at me.

I remember that I looked straight ahead away from him for a moment before I turned back to ask him who he was. I was peeved at my perception of the way he had spoken to me. But when I turned around he had disappeared. I looked in every direction but he was nowhere to be found. There was no time for him to walk off, he simply disappeared. It scared me so bad I went to my car and left immediately, all the time checking to see if this person would show up in the cemetery or worse my car. I never saw him again.

The deal is though I was so wrapped up in my grief that I was neglecting my still-living child. I had no clue on how to honor the memory of one child without losing site of the other. How did this man know all that? Anyway it opened my eyes to how I had been treating my other daughter. It took my unknown visitor to show me what I was doing to my living child and how much I was hurting her.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dowdyfamily1917, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

amon (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-11)
So sorry for your loss but I'm glad you were able to "receive" the unspoken message that was given and could move on the best you could for your other daughter.

Like others have said, I would think this was some sort of spirit guide.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-05)
Hi dowdyfamily1917

It's never easy getting over the loss of a loved one, especially a child, no matter how much time passes that void of emptyness cannot be filled, but somehow we learn to face each day. I'm sorry for your loss.

I do believe that the person you saw was a guardian angel or a guide.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (73 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2022-11-27)
So glad you posted! I think yours is a classic story of either a spirit or an angel, and it makes me wonder if it might've been an ancestor of yours also. I do believe we have these watchers and they can change our lives. So sorry about your loss, but know that so many of us share your experience. Know that your daughter is proud of you & that you will see her again!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
1 year ago (2022-11-25)
Welcome to YGS.

Dowdyfamily1917.

I'm very sorry for your loss. One is not supposed to outlive their own children and the pain after losing one is beyond description.

In my opinion, the man could have been some sort of angel or spirit guide trying to make you see how beautiful life still was after the loss of your daughter, or a spirit "living" in the cemetery who had seen you grieving and decided to talk to you as a way to say that death is not the end, and everything is fine at the other side of the veil.

Thanks for sharing such a sad and bittersweet experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: