You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Will and Testament

Real Ghost Stories

Will and Testament

 

This story takes place in the autumn of 1995 in Columbus, Ohio. My grandmother's sister-in-law, Aunt Margie (also my grandmother's name, coincidentally), had been very sick for some time. She was suffering from a brain tumor that was killing her. I had known she was sick for months and my mother often asked me to visit her in the nursing home to which she had been committed the previous year. I watched her condition worsen for months. She went from struggling with her memory to improperly employing simple diction. "That's Lazarus (department store)," she'd exclaim as we drove past, "they have, um, hamburgers there, very good..." And, of course, I knew this was incorrect and evidence of her declining health. Eventually, she was totally bed-ridden and was often totally incomprehensible, sometimes babbling and eyes rolling about the room. It was clear she was near death.

My parents are divorced, but they lived near to each other and had joint-custody over my sister and I so that we rotated between houses together, living with each parent for two weeks at a time. One Friday night, I was sleeping at my father's house on the north side of town. In the morning, we transferred down to my mother's house. Upon walking in the front door that morning, I related to my mother a very short, vivid dream I had experienced the night before...

In the dream, I was sitting on the driver's side of a bench seat in an old, orange Buick. Aunt Margie was sitting next to me on the passenger's side. My right hand was resting on the middle portion of the bench between us. Her hand was clasped in mine, but it was wet, clammy and cold. I turned to look at her as she turned her head to look at me. She smiled faintly. That was the end of the dream. I awoke rattled because, though I'm an active dreamer, this one was particularly stark and unsettling because of its simplicity and the almost tactile aspect of her cold, wet hand on mine. It gave me the impression of having touched cold jelly and I can sense it to this day.

So after telling my mother about this dream, she said to me, "Oh, David, that is too weird because Aunt Margie died last night..." This in and of itself was not surprising as she had been sick for a long time and we all knew her time was limited. I chalked the dream up to conscious knowledge of the situation and this was just a way that my subconscious was dealing with it. It was coincidence, I thought, that this dream came to me that Friday night.

That is, until Sunday. On Sunday, the elders in the family convened to read her last will and testament. In it, she divided-up her belongs to various members of the family. To me, she left her car. My grandparents knew that she did indeed own a car, but had not driven it in years because she had become portly and was unable to drive herself around easily. For Thanksgiving, for example, I often drove up to her place to pick her up and deliver her to wherever we were having dinner that day. Most people had not seen her drive in years and I, if I ever had, had not seen the car since I was very, very, very young.

My mother came home and told me that Aunt Margie had left me her car in her will. Both my mother and I knew this was pretty uncanny based on the dream, but still didn't think too much of it until we entered her garage that afternoon. As the garage door lifted, I froze in my tracks as, there, almost in mothballs, was an old, dusty, orange Buick from the late '70s or early '80s. I instantly recognized it as the one from my dream. I said to Mom, "That's the exact car from my dream Friday night..." Mom said, "I was afraid you'd say that. Do you want to drive it home, or should I?" I was reticent to do so because nothing like this had ever happened to me before.

Finally, I saw no harm in it and tried the engine. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. Somehow, the car still worked. There was a little gas in it and I drove it home mulling over the circumstances in my head. When I pulled-up in front of our house, I sat in the car and thought about Aunt Margie. She wasn't even technically a blood relative of mine because she married my grandmother's brother. For some reason, before I got out, I put my left hand down under the driver's seat. There, I extracted a handful of Aunt Margie's hair that must have fallen out due to the chemotherapy she was undergoing. This chilled me and exited the vehicle with haste.

We had trouble starting the car after that and eventually sold it. I related the story to my grandmother who is known for possessing a "sixth sense" of sorts. She was convinced that I, too, had a similar gift. After that, my grandmother and I agreed that when she passed, she'd have to stop by and let me know in my dreams. My grandmother, with whom I was VERY close as we were both artists and always had a distinct connection, died unexpectedly about nine years later. Unfortunately, I did not see her in my sleep when she passed, though I dream about her often to this day. I sometimes awake crying, but always hope to dream about her. I miss her terribly and hope I can embrace her again in slumber.

Other hauntings by Ohiowatha

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ohiowatha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rosemary (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Sometimes our bad dreams are not bad dreams but premontions of accidents of death, and when our dreams come to us like this they are telling us to take action to prevent these things from happening.
I have had dreams of accidents involving my realtives and when I told them these things they were alert and when these situations confronted them they were able to take swift action and save themselves just by my early warning.
For example once I told a realtives I saw an accident that could bring death and when this happened while my sister was driving she took quick action.
She said she was driving along and another car hit a telephone pole and she thought do I stop or run for it.
She remembered my dream and ran for it and thank god she did because the pole fell where she would have been sitting.
Another time I had a dream of a fatal accident for my granddaugher who had hit a patch of water and became airborn and hit a tree which killed her.
Not long after that the accident happened and she said as she was flying through the air she remembered the Dream and decided to not hit the tree but drive directly between the pole and the tree and this saved her life.
That is what bad dreams are premonitions meant to save us.
Rosemary (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Your aunt appearing in a dream the day she died before you had heard about it was her appearing to you from the Spirit World to let you know indeed you had seen her and she was also letting you know she appreciated your driving her about and was showing you her appreciation by leaving you her vehicle.
If you dream about your grandmther that is the way she is communcicating with her and now its alright for you to send a mental thought to say thanks I saw you and I know you can reach me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Please pardon the interuption, Ohiowatha. Shelby, it is MY understanding that when a dream catcher begins letting the bad dreams through, it is time for a cleansing of that catcher. In theory it works kind of like a lint trap. Let's say that bad dreams are the lint and the trap is the catcher. When the dreams collect in the "screen" they pile up and coat the web. If there are too many bad dreams, as in a lint trap, they can slide through or even bypass the web. A dream catcher, in my experience, has NOTHING to do with ghosts, spirits or angels. If you need to know how to clean the catcher, I can tell you that too, but I just wanted to explain that to you, as I hadn't seen a response yet.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Ohiowatha, this was spine tinglingly real for me. Wow is all I can say. I am sorry for the loss of your loved ones, but it brought about a wonderful meeting in another realm, so to speak. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Hi, Ohiowatha! First I want to say I'm sorry for the losses of your loved ones, it's very sad. This is one for my faves! What a great story, thanks so much for sharing!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Excuse me Ohiowatha.
Hi evilblackwidow9. I have had quite a few bad to horrible dreams even with the dream catcher up though! I wonder if I didn't have it up, how many bad dreams would I have!? Thanks for the info. I talked to my husband about the whole 'Dream Catcher' thing, whether it is catching the dreams that I want or not. He said he wasn't sure. He said, come to think of it, he doesn't have many dreams since the 'Dream Catcher' has been up. I asked him if I should take it down and he said no. It was my idea to put it there in the first place. I'm not sure about it anymore! Thanks for commenting! 😊~Shelby ❤
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Mustang,
From my understanding, Dream Catchers are meant to catch bad dreams and not keep out dead loved ones.

Blessed Be Ye
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
This is an amazing story! It just shows how much of a connection we DO have to certain people whether blood related or not. It is all a matter of the relationship you shared with that person or in your case your Aunt Margie. How our minds and souls connect living and in passing to another realm. I could not even imagine having that dream, telling your mother about the dream and then finding out that at the time you had the dream Aunt Margie had passed. On top of that, Aunt Margie's car being left to you. The same car you had in your dream.
I'm sorry for the loss of your Aunt Margie and your Grandmother. And I'm also sorry that you haven't seen or dreamt of your Grandmother since her passing. I'm still waiting for my brother and my Dad to make that connection in my dreams or something else but there has been nothing as of yet. I have a dream catcher in my room hanging above my bed. I still dream but it seems like it's not much and half of the time I do not remember a lot of them. Do you or can anyone tell me if it is because of the dream catcher? Now, I've had dreams, scary ones too a few times since the dream catcher has been up but I am wondering would this keep my brother and Dad from coming to me in my dreams? My "14" year old daughter has dreamt of her Papa(my Dad) on a few occassions were he is talking to her, saying things like "he doesn't have much time so he has to hurry". My daughter has asked him(in the dream) will you come back and he'll say to her, "I don't know if I will be able to". I am not sure of what the reasons are of why he comes to her but not me. They say that some spirits find it easier to get through to the living to visit or pass a message through dreams. She, as well as my four year old has seen my Dad, their Papa, on a few occassions out of the dream world. I have not unfortunetly. It makes me wonder. Thanks for sharing this amazing story. ~Shelby ❤
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
I am sorry for the lost of your grandmother and maybe she felt it was best for you if she just went on to where she was headed then to stop and stay good-bye.

Blessed Be Ye
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
What a touching story, and very heart felt! Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Perhaps your grandmother was able to cross over to the other side much easier, without any delay because of her knowledge and 'sixth sense'. Although I understand how difficult it is to loose someone you love so much and are close to, she is at peace, let that at least, comfort you in your dreams. Remember your kin ship with her, all of the things you have in common, how much you cared for each other. Let this carry you through and keepyour memories and dreams pleasant. The memories are YOURS, yiou have them to keep with you always, that is your Grandmothers way to let you know she loves you for always.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: