You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: I Mentally Called Out this Entity

Real Ghost Stories

I Mentally Called Out this Entity

 

So I was lying in bed the other night at about midnight. All my windows were closed and my door was shut. There are no drafts in my apartment. So when I heard the fluttering of papers on my desk and in the area of my cork board, my ears perked up a little bit. For some reason, this faint paper-shuffling sound sounded less organic than wind on a desk. The hairs on my left arm stood up a little and I felt a slight charge about my skin. I quickly assumed that there was something in my room with me moving about.

I was feeling a little brave and, due to a few past experiences, was beginning to think there might be something going on in this apartment. So, I mentally "called out" this supposed entity. In my head, I said, "enough is enough, if you're so tough, then why don't you show yourself somehow? I'm sick of you flitting about. Either you're here or not, so why don't you..." And just then I heard a deliberate tap on my doors. The doors to my room are French doors and each panel has a frosted glass piece in it. What I heard was a tap on this large piece of glass. Whenever my roommate knocks on my door, she taps the glass with her finger instead of rapping on wood like a normal door. This is exactly the sound I heard in the midst of telepathically challenging whatever I perceived to be in my room.

Because I heard what I believed to be a pretty obvious response to my challenge, I quickly back tracked and subjugated myself to the entity. In my head again, I apologized for questioning its presence and asked if it would please retreat and just let me sleep in peace. I experienced no further "encounters" that night.

So, my question is, do you guys think there was something there? Or was the fluttering of paper just coincidence? Was the tap on the glass in my door just the joint popping? Was it all in my head? What say ye?

Other hauntings by Ohiowatha

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ohiowatha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
hahaha bet you were terrified when you heard it tap in reply. I too talk to stuff in my mind when my voice fails it probly wanted you to know its there.
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hey Ohio... I can't begin to describe my emotions right now. I had a very traumatic experience last night. And it seems you have gone through almost the exact same thing. I just finished writing my story about an hour and a half ago. I was lookin around and saw some of your comments. I decided to read some of your stories. This just happened to be at the top of the list. I read it and it sent chills down my spine. You will only be able to really understand after you read my story.
I forgot to mention this other part though. After all that happened in my story that I hope you read, I heard tapping on my window. I had the blinds closed, and sometiems hear things tap on my window, so I thought nothing of it, but then it kept happening. There are no trees or anything near my windo, so it was very odd. But the way you "mentally" asked the spirit to communicate and then you regretted your decision was the exact same way I felt. And you said your skin was charged. I too felt this tingling sensation ALL over my body. Along with the other things. You will definately have to read my story. There are very many similarities. I feel as if I mimicked your experience. That is truly amazing to me in itself. Thank you SO much for sharing.

Trent
Axl_the_Hunter (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
It may have been a spirt but retreated, I never actually tried to call out a spirt just by thinking, I usally yell at them.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Definite possibilities, one and all. It's an old brownstone that was once a single-family home. Now, the four floors are divided as one unit occupying the first two floors, a unit on the third, and my unit on the fourth floor, which is the top floor. There's always the chance that I heard the sounds of an "old house," of course. But this tap seemed deliberate and was impeccably timed with my "challenge" for something to show itself. Based on those two elements, I had to consider it might be supernatural.

And, yes, my friends live on the ground floor unit and I was down there playing the game.

Only one other person in the building has experienced anything. I friend of mine who was living on the third floor right below mine, came upstairs one night and asked if we had just knocked on his door loudly. Of course, we had not, but he was positive someone had. I told him about my suspicions and he seemed to concur. He has since moved out (not due to this experience) and the new renter has not noticed anything out of the ordinary.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Hello Ohiowatha,
Let's see...
The game night experience, and your bedroom experience occurred in separate places and floors. Did I get that right?
The windows were shut, no central air. How about ceiling fans? Are the french doors flush with the ceiling and the floor? Have you ever noticed movement of the french doors when a separate door within the apartment or on that floor open or close?
How close together are your desk and the cork board? I am more than positive that you checked this out, but, what are the chances that something (due to gravity) fell from the cork board to the desk creating the disturbance that ruffled the papers?
I have no doubts that you have thoroughly checked this out. Especially after receiving a deliberate tap on the door. I am just curious as to the "suction" of the apartment building as I had a barracks room that offered strange sounds when someone would do something in their room (a variety of actions would create the most eerie sounds), or when the wind came through the "port holes" in the stairwell.
Thank you for taxing our brains. 😊
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Ohiowatha, your description of last night's gaming session struck a chord with me. I am sure it is different for each of us, but most of my experiences have occured either when I am completely relaxed or intensely concentrating on something. Are you often mentally engrossed when you have your experiences? Also, do you have any idea if your brownstone was orginially constructed as apartments or was it converted from a single townhouse?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Good thoughts, Shelby, I like the cut of your jib! But, no, my buildling is a Brooklyn brownstone from 1879 and has no central anything. But, again, I like where you're coming from.

And ljsco, yeah, I pretty much froze when I heard the "tap..." My eyes were already open, but I definitely held my breath and my mind raced for a second. "What did I just do?" and then immediately, I started apologizing in my head.

Just last night, I was on the first floor of the buildling in my friends' place. They were all out at a Yankees game, but I just felt like staying in. One of them had just purchased a new video game that's supposed to be off the hook, so I was playing that alone for a few hours when, very suddenly, I just got very uncomfortable and felt like something was in the area behind me. I had been focusing on the game, so it's not like I saw a commercial for Ghost Hunters or something that took my mind there. I was totally absorbed in the game when this sense jerked me from my video-revery. This feeling of unease lasted only for a few seconds and was then gone.

I went back to playing the game, but am curious if it was just me or if something popped down to check on me for a second.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Hello Ohiowatha. Do you have central heat and air? Just thinking, which I'm sure you already thought of this, but did you have the air or heat running? Of course these things could be explained. We all know that our minds, especially when tired or scared, can run away with us. However, both the papers and the glass door, I doubt it. It sounds like you more than likely did have yourself a visitor.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
haleybug (10 stories) (89 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Hello Ohio,
sounds to me like you have something there, I highly doubt you could imagine rapping on glass right after you "called the entity out 😁.
haleybug
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
i like the fact that your skeptical, too many people would just take any strange happaning as an entity. Although, due to the timing and recession of encounters I would say it was a real entity.
ljsco (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
PS - I'd have loved to have seen your expression when you heard the return tap.
ljsco (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
A close psychic friend of mine (now passed over) used to say never test spirit unless you really need to. If it's real they will let you know. And it sounds as if that's exactly what's happened.
I agree with your policy of not accepting as fact anything you're not positive of. However, having read many of your posts, you are pretty much sensitive to the spirit world.
Regards Bill
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
Ohiowatha, I greatly appreciate your stringent standards of evidence and forthrightness. As FRAWIN pointed out, your reputation is not one for fanciful flights of imagaination, so I think quite a few of us are intrigued by your experience. Remain observant and please update us about any developments.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
Hmm, not really sure what I believe. Nothing really substantial has happened in this apartment ever. The only experiences were as paltry and shallow as this one. I just thought it was interesting that as soon as I challenged "it," I definitely heard a tap on the glass.

Whatever, no worries. I'll just keep alert as usual. In my opinion, because there's just not enough to go on here, empirically, I will have to give this account no merit. Unless I'm positive something has gone down, it must be recounted.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
Greetings Ohiowatha. This is a type of experience that sits astraddle of the paranormal fence, it could go either way. On one hand it is easily explained away as "being in your head" seeing how you were tired, in bed, hearing night sounds and mentally talking to yourself. But on the other hand you could have had a actual visitation and here's why. First and foremost is your reputation -you are not known for a wild imagination. Second is you said there were no drafts in your apartment so what shuffled the papers-papers don't shuffle by themselves. Third a peck or rap on glass sounds nothing like a knock on wood or joints popping-I've heard all three. With all this said I believe you had an experience but the most important question is:What do you believe?
Take care my friend 😊.

FRAWIN 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
It would be far too simple to discard this as being just your fear since I know you to be a skeptic as well as someone who's had a taste of the other world. In short, I think there was something there responding to your challenge. I also don't think that asking it to "step back" would have made whatever was there follow the instructions; if it meant harm, it would have done so. I just don't think you should be too alarmed but, just to be on the safe side, make sure you don't send out any more invitations.

I would like to ask you a question not that you're obliged to answer if you don't wish. Has anything else happened lately to alarm you more; I sense some change of tone in you. Then again, I might be wrong-it won't be the first 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
Hi Ohiowatha. Tghanks for sharring another interesting story with us. I understand that there was something ther. This could be explained but honestly I think some spirit just drpped in for awhile. It probably wanted to show its presence like you said and went on. Has there anything else happened lately? If not then there is nothing you should be worried about. Let us know if anything is going on. Glad to hear from you again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
Sounds like there was something there but sometimes in our minds we can imagine there is more to something than there is and because you wanted (maybe subconsciusly) for the entity to respond you interpretated the sound to be a response.
Great story though and I'd definately be researching the building.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: