You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis Or Something Else Maybe?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis Or Something Else Maybe?

 

The title speaks for itself. My first story was about my girlfriend and her white spirit stalker. This one is about me and my bouts with what I believe to be sleep paralysis, and I'd like to have a second opinion.

This all began one sunny weekend afternoon. I was feeling sleepy, so I took a nap in my bedroom. My bedroom at that time had three doors, two walls with windows, three desks, a drawer, a closet, and a bunk bed. The bed was against a window, with all three doors facing me. The doors to the living room and the bathroom were open to let the air circulate, while the third door was closed and locked. It was a very warm day.

The dream:

I only remember a little of what happened towards the end of it: I was chased by a black dog with yellow eyes through a tunnel. I remember looking at it as it barked at me and then I woke up; or at least I thought I did, because I remember everything looking very foggy. I closed my eyes, because I still felt sleepy, and found myself in a new nightmare: something (looked like a gray, leathery, segmented worm with stiff tentacles attached to its mouth) had my entire left arm in its mouth and was swallowing it whole despite my efforts to shake it off. That scared me enough to wake me up; or so I thought, because everything still looked foggy.

The freaky bit:

I remember lying on the bed, out of breath, and staring at the bathroom. The girls' room connects to the bathroom, and it was pitch black, something that only strikes me as odd now for some reason; probably because what got my attention was a black mass on my drawer, staring at me with yellow eyes (it felt like a cat). I decided to roll over to my other side, except I felt my body move but my vision didn't. Right now, I was more "WTF?" than scared, so I rolled left some more and felt my knee go through the bed. I snapped back to my initial position and that's when I realized that I wasn't breathing.

I didn't have enough time to get scared by that, though, because something (felt like something) latched onto my left side and started pulling - my vision began going black on my left side, like I was being pulled through a door. I remember fighting to get back in my body, and after what seemed like forever, I snapped back in and woke up for real. I felt so weak, I was tempted to fall back asleep, but I stopped myself there and got up.

That one dream seemed to kick off an entire series of dreams that led to me waking up in a body that felt more like a sarcophagus, with me screaming and squirming to get moving and breathe. It eventually got so bad, my subconscious somehow developed a switch to wake me up if ever it felt like I was going to get sleep paralysis, and I've never had it again. That much I'm thankful for.

Now, why the "Something Else"? I've noticed that in those dreams that led to my sleep paralysis, I would start out running, then gliding, and then floating. Almost always in that pattern; the floating became my trigger to wake up, as a matter of fact.

Recently, I had another dream that felt like I was out looking for something. I remember returning through the warehouse next to our house, then following what looked like a vividly feathered dromaeosaurid towards the room where we all sleep in, going up the stairs, and heading to my bed. I woke up and felt like I had just come back from a long run.

Any thoughts? I'm more curious than scared, because I don't know if what I had was sleep paralysis, an out of body experience, or really crude astral projection.

Other hauntings by Mazzmarach

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mazzmarach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Spirit:

Thanks for reading. Astral Projection and OBE are theories I'm willing to accept; but since I don't want to go a-wandering without supervision, I've never had a chance to actually practice it consciously to see if the feeling's the same.

Oddly, whenever I had dreams that led to sleep paralysis, it starts out as a textbook lucid dream (the people are all in memory). Eventually, it starts getting trippy: walking through shipyards, flying by exotic locales... A big mishmash of movie scenes I'm suddenly living through... And then I'm in a vacant place on a road, preparing to run. I run, then glide, then float... And keep floating until I wake up.

Recently, I've been having dreams where I was being chased again; but the minute I realize I'm in a dream, I stop running and start going after what was scaring me. After a couple of those, I've had dreams where I'm walking with girls in some city I don't recognize. The only flag I can see is that the girls I walk with are real girls I find attractive, and we're too friendly with each other.

I always invoke my guardian angel before I sleep, though going on a trip through my head later might not be a bad idea. I'm quite sure there's something there that I need to dredge up. Thanks for the suggestion. 😊

Mazz
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Mazzmarach,

From what you have written here, you could very well be experiencing what we call "Astral Projection, or OBE (out of body experience).

When you wrote, You felt like you had come back from a long run.
That to me has OBE written all over it.

The dreams could be you experiencing spirits as you travel around.

I say it's a good thing you have found a way to wake yourself up, when you have unpleasant travels,dreams,visitations,or what ever you want to call it.

Before you decide to fall asleep try to meditate a little. It helps to relax the mind and body, thus may help to keep those scary dreams at bay.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Roy:

I've had dreams like that, and they sort of scare me sometimes. Sort of, because so far they are very coincidental. I agree that some dreams are caused by stress, though I'm not normally that stressed out - I believe I manage my stress well. As for anything remarkable happening after dreams involving my waking up in my skin like that, no; nothing remarkable ever happened, though I did see the old hag once.

Mazz
roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Very interesting!
I want to know if anything remarkable had happened after your dreams.
Why I asked is that? Sometimes dreams could be just a form of stress that you brain made or if not yes, paranormal stuff perhaps? Most such stories that I had heard of usually links to something in real life like for example my father once had a very strange dream of walking in a shallow river with my grandma, my grandma in his dream told him not to follow her anymore and had gone far away. The next day the phone rang and we know that grandma was gone. You know, such things (not always sad ones) do happen.

Love from SĂŁo Paulo

E.Lynx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: