You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Whispers In The Night (story 4)

Real Ghost Stories

Whispers In The Night (story 4)

 

I don't have an exact date for this next account. I do know it happened late 2008 or early 2009. When I sat down at my computer tonight (April 20, 2016) I had not planned to write this. I am not sure I ever planned to write it. This account lasted or recurred for several weeks.

Shortly after the dog attacked my daughter I started feeling as if someone was always next to me. Sort of just hanging around.

Someone I could not see. This feeling was not warm and caring but dark and mocking. It terrified me but I can't say exactly why. I can't remember it actually ever doing anything.

I had that uneasy feeling as if someone or something was about to grab me. My awareness was always heightened. I was always on guard. I refused to stay in the house alone. I refused to sleep with the bedroom door closed or the light off unless my husband was home in bed with me.

Almost instantly when I would lay my head on my pillow at night, I would hear what sounded like whispers. I would strain my ears as hard as I could but I couldn't make out any words. At first it was just a few but gradually each night there would be more. It sounded as if there was a lot of excitement behind the whispers. An urgency. It sounded as if there were hundreds of people in my bedroom all talking at one time, whispering. They went on for hours until I either fell to sleep or gave up on sleeping and got out of bed. For the next several weeks I was a nervous wreck, day and night.

A few nights I didn't hear the whispering. I think maybe those nights I was just so exhausted I didn't pay attention to them. The nights that I was able to quickly fall to sleep were a whole other story.

When I slept it wasn't unusual to get woken up by someone whispering in my ear. Just a soft whisper. I felt sure it was the whisper of a child. When I would open my eyes of course no one was there. However each time I would smell a lavender scent. A couple of nights I woke my husband up and he too could smell it.

Each day I was like a mad person searching my perfumes, air fresheners, cleaning supplies, everything in my house trying to find something, just one thing that contained lavender. I never found anything containing that scent. I seriously thought I was losing my mind.

My husband never heard the whispers but during this time he was having nightmares. The first one - he was walking near a lake when he suddenly heard a person screaming for help. He realized the person was in the water and they were in trouble. He pulled his shoes off and jumped in, swimming towards them. When he got close enough, he saw that it was me. He tried to save me from drowning but each time he got close enough to touch me, I disappeared under the water. Another nightmare, he being near some form of water with many people. A child was in the water. That's all he remembers of this one. The nightmares shook him up to the point of feeling depressed for days afterwards.

---------------

Forty-Five years earlier...

In 1963, early September, at the age of two and a half, I almost drowned. My family and I had gone for a ride in my father's newly acquired car. The roads were dirt so pretty soon the car was a mess. At one point he drove across the bridge of a small creek. My father, being the lovable lunatic he always was, had this fantastic idea of washing his car in the creek.

The creek was shallow with a rock bottom. So my mother allowed us children (3 of us) to play in it. She sat on the bank with our newborn baby sister. My brother had gotten a beach ball from the car and threw it in the water. He quickly forgot about the ball after discovering a crawfish coming out of its hole. The ball began to float farther out. I followed it. Suddenly I was under water. I could hear my brother behind me saying, "Stand up, Sissy." I remember hearing my mother scream, then my father was plucking me out of the water.

For years I thought this was a false memory. After all I was 2 and a half. And perhaps it could be that I've heard the accounts of that day from a family member. However what I can't shake and has nagged me for a good deal of my life, is what I saw under the water. This is the account I tried to tell my grandmother about when I was four. She told me I was evil and Godly people don't see things such as this.

When I was under the water I saw other kids. Kids just standing around (under the water). Was it a real paranormal experience or just a little kid's imagination? I don't know.

I've told you about the near drowning because I believe it had something to do with the whispers and my husband's nightmares.

---------------

2008/2009

After so many weeks of not getting much sleep I finally had enough. One night my husband was working later than usual. I was in bed alone. That night the whispers sounded more urgent as if they badly wanted my attention. I sat up in bed and screamed, "Go away! This is my house. You don't belong here." I remember feeling so hopeless. Shortly after that I cried myself to sleep. The next morning when I awoke I felt as if things had changed. But I wasn't sure until that night when I lay my head on my pillow and I didn't hear the whispers. Nothing woke me that night. The dark thing, I don't know when it left, I think maybe it followed the whisperers. Or maybe Hell finally had enough room for it.

----------------

April 22, 2016

When I quit writing this story two nights ago, I thought that was the end of it. But apparently writing all of this down jogged my memory.

My oldest daughter came to visit today. We had a lazy day just lying around (literally). I had a headache due to allergies the past few days so I lay on my bed while she sat on the other side. We talked about the story I had just finished writing. She's the first person I've ever told this story to in its entirety. We talked about some amazing photos she had taken. I drifted off to sleep.

I slept for about 20 minutes. I'm always saying, I do my best thinking while I'm asleep, yet again this has proved true. I woke up shaking barely able to speak. My daughter kept asking if I was ok. What came to me while I was asleep was that my grandmother had lived in this very house, my house, for a short time.

I know it sounds crazy that I would have never thought about it all these years and I can't even began to explain why I didn't. Maybe in some twisted way I wasn't suppose to until now.

Years ago I had a cousin who owned this house. She and her husband bought it around 1988. They only lived here for 3 years if that before they lost the house to foreclosure. Our grandmother lived with them for about 6 months.

---------------

And now about my grandmother. She was a cold person. And she could be down right mean. That's not to say I never saw her be sort of nice but mostly she was just mean. When I was 6, my mother delivered a stillborn baby boy. Grandmother came to take care of us kids while mother was in the hospital. She insisted on washing my hair. I was screaming, I was still terrified of water from the near drowning. She in her hatefulness decided to teach me a lesson, I guess. She filled the sink full of water and held my head under. My older sister who was 12 at that time, screamed for her to stop. She let go of my head and walked out of the bathroom.

Later that evening when our father came home we all wanted nothing more than to run to him and tell him what his mother had done. We didn't because when he walked into the door we could see something was wrong.

I remember hearing my grandmother ask him why he was so upset, then saying he had enough kids to feed already. It was years later before I understood what she had meant.

My grandmother died September 2, 1996. Fifteen days before my family and I moved into this house. I did not attend her funeral. As horribly as I hate to admit it I remember thinking, I hope she rots in hell.

---------------

I know it's going to take some time for me to sort all of this out, I've already got a pretty good idea but I welcome all thoughts and opinions.

I'm so thankful that I found this site. Without it I would have never sat down and wrote this story. I'm on the fence to whether submitting it to total strangers is a good idea; however, my daughter says she thinks it will finally bring closure.

Other hauntings by yomomma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, yomomma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-24)
I am reading this after your most recent 'ice cream truck' encounter to see if there is a continuing theme going on at your house. Not sure yet, now I'm sidetracked with this.

My thoughts regarding the bad dog and your experiences after - perhaps the dog took the brunt of the whispers, noises, strange touches and became a mean, nervous wreck because of the constant attention.

(Afterthought: Could it have been the blue eyed boy playing with an unwilling participant?)

Once the dog was put down, the whispers, etc refocused on you, causing your anxiety, frustration with the lavender, falling asleep only when you were completely exhausted and so on. Had you not been able to yell knock it off, you may have become as irritable as the dog before he was put down.

(Maybe someone was upset the dog was gone? You put the dog down.)

I agree with the comment regarding your husband's Freudian dream of saving you from drowning. There may be another layer there too, like an actual drowning, but it seems like your anxiety was fueling his and it emerged this way.

Maybe the events don't pick up because you are talking about them, but instead you're switching your denial lens to observing lens and noticing more. Same with the memory recall, the more you remember the more you remember. One memory tends to lead to more.

Seems like some spirits are passing through, like grandma the bad word stopping in to trigger some memories, while the other half seem stuck in the house, like the blue eyed boy or the man in the corner of the kitchen.

The trick is sorting out who is passing through and who is staying. Grandma was clearly passing through. The man in the kitchen corner seems to be staying and he seems to not like dogs. One went feral for whatever reason, the other are both terrified of their own shadows, and him.

Sorry to focus so much on the dogs - just seems like the situation was tolerable until the catalyst of the bite changed everything.

Back to thinking about the ice cream truck. Oh hey - what if the blue eyed boy was mad about the dog and the ice cream truck (which I find totally creepy) was designed to be intentionally upsetting because he was mad? Wake up the entire house with 'turkey in the hay,' a song from the 1800's which would fit with him - the era, the annoyance, the ice cream, etc. - and terrify everyone. Seems like reasonable 'revenge' of a 4 year old.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-20)
Hi C2C! I guess most of us have/had a person in our lives who teach us what not to be. On the flip side thankfully there are plenty of people such as your mother and my father. Thanks for the comment.
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-19)
I can only say thanks be to your great-grandmother who raised your father. At least, I presume she was OK as he turned out to be a wonderful father. Some people are ugly and it's useless to speculate why. I came to peace with my own father's memory by realizing if I hadn't experienced him, I wouldn't have known how not to be like him. Perhaps this explains your father. Though my mother was perceived by those outside the family as being cold and hard, she was very perceptive, loving and caring to her 4 daughters. She did have a no-nonsense, business-like, logical persona, so she wasn't the typical mother of the 50's and 60's. She wasn't like the mothers of any of my friends. While still young I thought I had the best of both worlds, a father who taught me how not to be who thankfully was out of my life, and a mother who taught me how. Genealogy research has provided me with perspective. While each of us is unique, suffering and trauma is not.

Bless you for sharing your stories! You come through as a loving and caring person and your writing style is really great!
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
Miracles51031, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly.

Just a observation, There is a fabulous site that can help abuse victims. The forum is very similar in that people can share their abuse stories. If you do need help, please have a look on: http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/
Sorry, I hope I am not doing anything unethical by sharing this site here.
notadaddysgirl (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Thank you I appreciate it and will probably take you up on the offer too x
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-14)
Hi notadaddysgirl- Thanks for reading my story. I'm still not a great fan of water however my children taught me to swim at the age of 35. Yay me!

My daughter (I have such smart kids) taught me to 'write it down' when something bothered me. It really helps. My email is on my profile if you ever want to 'write it down' I would gladly be your reader.
notadaddysgirl (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-14)
Yomomma,

Wow Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

There are so many things I think I could write about to help me overcome some traumers but as they are not paranormal I have not been able to share here.

Thank you though as your story touched me deeply. Your eveil nan sounds like my Mother. Although she is my mother and I love her she is the only one I have we have had some rough times. She is the reason I am afraid of water which is quite amusing in some respects as she has often told me of a story where she had swimming lessons as a kid and was pushed into the pool and nearly drowned. She never went swimming again after that and stays away from pools to this day.

Now with me I have not nearly drowned but I hate water on my face. In a shower or swimming pool when I get splashed or the water hits my face I panic.

When my mum used to wash my hair she would throw the water over my head and I could not breathe I think this is my reasoning. It was continuous and even when I was crying I would just be told to stop ebing a baby so I feel your pain here when you had your hair washed.

Back to the story again as always well written I felt like I was there.

Thank you for sharing and for trusting us here with your peronal tales. I am glad that you had such a good childhood and that you continue to have a good life. It is like a slap in the face to evil Nan. ❤
bspilker (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-30)
Yomamma you said you believe the spirit to be your grandmother. Do you remember if your grandmother wore lavender perfume or something? It could be a residual scent of your grandmother. Just a possibility.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
Hi again Tweed! Very interesting. I didn't know that about lavender. The nearest cemetery is about 3 miles outside of town. Haven't found any bottles maybe I should send my husband crawling under the house, haha. Thanks for the info.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
Yomomma, just a thought about the lavender scent. Do you live near a cemetery? Or have you ever found any small glass bottles?

This is a bit gross, but in the olden days morgues and grave digging weren't what it is today. Which meant 'the smell' would waft up from graves. Residents in the area would keep small bottles of lavender oil to counteract the smell.

If this applies to you, maybe what you smelled was either residual or an old resident dropping in. Maybe, being a that they're a ghost and all, they figure they really need to splash that lavender around haha.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
Hi Tweed! Thank you for reading my story and for the comments. The comment about my grandmother seething about my happy family, now THAT made my day. Thank you!

As far as finding out anything that I don't already know about her... Most of my family members refuse to talk about her. I suspect many of them are glad she's not here any more.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
Yomamma,

Firstly, I don't blame you for the way you feel about your grandmother, some people are just horrible, as others have said. I'm so sorry you experienced this.❤

The timing of working out the watchful presence may be your grandmother is probably in your favour. Think of it this way, you've had years of living in this house (assuming you love the place), knowing who this presence was from the beginning may have hampered your ability, and your family's ability to create this home, make it your own. So good stuff on the realisation delay.

Sometimes things can take years to work out, I'm notorious for this, and it seems a common theme for other members here too. When you're living a situation you often can't see the wood from the trees.

In reading your experiences I get the vibe you and your family are fun loving folk. For someone like 'evil gran', I shall call her, this would be maddening. I actually find it amusing to imagine her seething at you guys happily going about the day. This is probably what you could feel vibe wise from this presence.

My grandfather on my Mum's side was pure evil, he died before I was born thankfully. Everyone was glad, no one mourned him. Sounds extreme to most, but hey, why mince words. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who can relate to having an 'evil' family member, or simply knowing someone 'evil'.

I don't really know what to make of the whispering. Have you ever delved into your family history? The child may be linked to evil gran, someone she abused perhaps. I say that with great trepidation, not wishing to start any conspiracies. But figure it's an avenue worth pursuing, in the least to rule out.

Thank you for sharing. By the way, you wrote this so well, I know it can't have been easy. ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
yomomma - I understand what you meant when you said realizing it was your grandmother was worse than the actual event. For years, and I mean years, I was afraid of a person in my life. After this person died, I was even more afraid. It took a very long time for me to understand the hold this person had on me. It took even longer to heal (still working on that). I think, for me, the fear was worse after the death than before.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Miracles51031 - Lol webbed feet would have definitely been classified as demonic according to her. You're also right about pitying her. A few years before she died I visited her almost everyday, just to sit with her and listen to her raving because not one other family member would. I tried very hard to find a soft place in my heart for her but you know sometimes people are just "pure evil". 😉
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Hi Mazzmarach, thanks for reading my story. I know you're right about writing to strangers and most of the time I have no problem with it. However this occurrence really left me shaken. For the most part realizing it was my grandmother was worse than when the event was actually taking place.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Ahoy, Yomomma.
As someone with issues and secrets, I understand that you'd like to keep something as personal as this private; but if writing this down, putting these emotions onto paper (metaphorically) helps you unload the negativity, then go ahead. That's the beauty about a stranger; they can hear, listen, give advice, become your friend in that capacity - and all because you know next to nothing about them. There's no "screen" (family, schoolmate, that weird guy from work) in-between the both of you, so there's nothing blocking the exchange of ideas and thoughts. There's just two folks talking about this thing that they've got in common, and I find that that does wonders for your emotional health.

Enough with the self-help talk.

About your theory... If you think that that evil and mocking presence was your grandma tormenting you, then that may very well be a possibility. Maybe what you said was all she needed to hear, but I could be wrong.

Mazz
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
yomomma - I have an uncle who was born with 3 thumbs. One of my cousins (same family) has webbed feet. Your grandmother would have had a field day with my family LOL

After reading your story yesterday and the comments, I have to say, even though I think she was an evil woman, I feel pity for her. She had to have been a very miserable person and anyone who is that miserable and feels it necessary to try and make others that miserable need help. Unfortunately I've known a couple of those people in my lifetime. We probably all have.

This next part I'm saying with all the heartfelt sincerity I can. I'm glad your grandchildren don't/won't have to face her. And I'm glad you had a happy childhood, in spite of her 😊
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hi Manafon1 - I got what you were saying. It was just more me, questioning why then. But that does make sense. Thanks for the comment.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hi yomamma--It would make sense, since your husband knew of the near drowning you experienced as a child, for him to have a dream about you in a situation he couldn't help you with. It's because he loves you. He easily could have been thinking of you before going to sleep and, in the free association of dreams, remembered your near tragedy as a toddler. If he had been feeling concern for your then present situation it makes some sense that he would dream of you in peril.

Several of your experiences are certainly paranormal but I feel your husband's dream was one of concern and love for you. That's just my opinion though!
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Miracles51031, spiritwaiting and Manafon1, Thank you all for reading my story. And thanks for the comments. I want ya'll to know as horrible as my grand mother was I had an amazing childhood. My parents made sure of that.

Spiritwaiting: all I remember when I was under the water is seeing the children. Just staring at me. I don't remember feeling anything.

Miracles51031: I do believe the thing was my grandmother. I think it was her last ditch effort to make me change my ways.
She was a very superstitious woman. My father was born with 3 thumbs. She called it the mark of the devil. Something about cloven feet (I learned this a few years before my father's death). She left him with her mother, who raised him. I was born with a mark on my chest, under my right breast. My younger sister was born with a cleft palate. To my grandmother these things were proof of Satan. We were marked.

Manafon1: I never knew my biological grandfather. He was in his 50's when my father was born. My father barely knew him. However the man I knew as my grandfather was a quiet obedient man. I guess you could say he was beaten down by her. I can't ever remember hearing him raise his voice towards anyone and definitely not my grandmother.

My husband did know about the near drowning. If his dreams were in sympathy, why then? It's not something we talked about more than a few times (if that) when we first met.

As far as the whispers go... I spent most of my days home alone, I wasn't in crowded rooms with lots of people during the day. I'm not saying audial hallucinations were impossible I'm just saying I'm not sure if it adds up.

What felt like a child's whisper while I was sleeping...
Today I am more convinced than ever it was a child's whisper. I have twin 5 year old grand daughters. On several occasions when they have spent the night one or both of them will come whisper in my ear. Each time, for a split second I'm back there to the nights a child whispered in my ear and there wasn't one present.

The lavender scent: If my husband had not smelled it too, hypnagogic hallucinations could explain it away. He is absolutely positive he smelled lavender. He says it was very easy to identify it because he doesn't like the scent.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Hi yomamma--Your latest was, as usual, quite engrossing. I have to agree with Miracles, your grandmother sounds like she was a nasty piece of work. Her attitude and blunt opinions possibly suggest an unpleasant upbringing and, maybe, her continuing personal situation at the time. Was your grandfather a nice guy or was he part of the reason she acted the way she did? I'm just throwing some ideas out there. At the end of the day some people are just mean spirited. Sorry you have the memories of her that you do.

It seems possible that the dream your husband had of a child in the water was an example of retrocognition. That is if you never told him of your experience of almost drowning. If you had told him at some point it seems likely the dream was merely a sympathetic one.

The presence you felt that was dark and mocking could have been your grandmother. The revelation you had that she had lived in your house for six months suggests it is a possibility. As for the sound of multiple voices chattering away, well I had a similar experience once. I was at an annual event when I was in my late twenties. Let's just say this convention involved staying up for over twenty four hours partying. Lots of alcohol (and other things) and no sleep. When I finally tried to get some sleep in my hotel room I was assailed with the sound of what seemed like fifty people all talking at once. It was creepy and maddening. I believe my experience was an example of an audial hallucination brought on from lack of sleep and too much of everything else. Is it possible because of all the stress you were feeling that you were suffering fatigue that manifested as a similar type of audial hallucination? Your experience was very possibly paranormal but I thought I would suggest one possible alternative.

Thanks for sharing this latest installment.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Yomomma,

I'm thankful you have found enough strength to write this out, as I'm sure the memories and experiences alone are incredibly hard enough.

First: Thank you for sharing this with us.
For you to trust us enough to take in what you have gone through says COURAGE to me.

The loss of a baby is extremely hard, and I hope your parents were able to heal even a little, from the tragedy.

Your being scared of water is a legitimate one
Huge bodies of water, is terrifying to me, so I completely understand.

Hope you have been able to find some way to overcome that fear.

Your grandmother was a cold hearted * [at] %!*!
I know I shouldn't say that about someone I don't know, an elder and your grandmother.
But the way she handled things, the way she treated you, and your siblings, and the way she responded to your parents!
Ugh what waste of space!

This has saddened me and angered me all at the same time.

Now onto your experience under the water...
When you saw these children for the brief moments you were under water, did you feel they were trying to maybe tell you something?
Did you feel anything coming from them?
Do you think they were theyre to show you they were theyre from the possible drowning that could have occured with you? Letting you know if it did happen, thank goodness it didnt! That you wouldn't be alone?

Sorry I'm in my emotions, and that's what I feel they may have been doing just from the visual I got while reading.

And again Yomomma...
You can and will heal from all of this. It takes time, sometimes a long time.
I hope you find your way to heal and hope by writing this you have in some way.

Thank you again for sharing 😊 ❤

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
yomomma - I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, trying to compose a halfway sensible comment. Please forgive me if nothing even remotely close comes out.

My heart breaks for you as a child. There are evil people in this world. I'm fully convinced of that. And to me evil comes in so many different packages. There are those who have their own seats reserved in Hell and I fully believe your grandmother was one. I will never, in my life, never understand why adults (or anyone for that matter) will take advantage of a child's fear like this. It's bad enough to be terrified of something, but to have someone use that fear for whatever reason (to teach a lesson, or to "help" get over the fear) is abuse in my book.

And to be so blankety-blank-blank callous at the loss of a child! OMG! I don't care how many mouths a person has to feed, a baby is a baby! It is a gift! And to lose such a beautiful gift tears my heart out 😭 I cannot begin to imagine the despair and heartbreak your parents went through. They say time heals all wounds. They lie. It doesn't heal; the hurt is always there.

I hope whatever you felt, if it was your grandmother (which I suspect it may have been), that you banished her *ss forever.

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I hope getting it out brought you some peace ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: