You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Cemetery

 

I have been a mortician for over 30 years and have seen and heard all sorts of things in funeral homes and cemeteries of a supernatural nature. One such event occurred when I was managing a funeral home in North Alabama in the late 1990's.

In that part of the state there are many country, as well as church cemeteries. One such cemetery in particular is Old Macedonia Church cemetery. The cemetery is rather small and surrounded by a 6' chain link fence with entrance gates on only one side, located about a football field length behind the church. Most of the markers are uprights and too small for anyone to hide behind.

Once I had a funeral there in the adjoining church with the committal to follow immediately afterward. Being late August and very hot, I had asked the family to return to the church while the grave was prepared. I watched as the last person turned to enter the church door, and then directed the cemetery and vault personnel to proceed. Within 5 minutes the casket had been lowered into the vault and the vault about to be lowered.

Looking toward the church I noticed an older lady approaching, about 25 feet from us. I was taken aback by how she had gotten so close to us so quickly without anyone noticing, and I asked the guys to wait just a minute. The lady was dressed in a turquoise colored Victorian style maxi dress trimmed in white lace, and as she walked I could not see her feet or tell if she was wearing any type of shoe. As she passed within one foot of me I asked her "How are you today?" She did not look at me or even acknowledge that we were there, nor was there a breeze or anything from her passing by. In fact the look on her face was one of determination, as if she was determined to go to a certain spot that she would not take her eyes off of.

I watched as she continued to walk by for a minute or so when one of the guys asked why I had asked them to wait. Looking back at them I stated "I wanted you to wait while that lady passed." They then asked "What lady?" I responded "That one..." To my amazement the lady was gone. I had looked away for just a second or two. There was no way she could have gotten out of the cemetery or hidden behind a marker. All the guys denied having seen her, and I never described her clothing.

Later at the funeral home I was telling one of the other funeral directors about the incident when one of the cemetery personnel stated "You mean the one in the turquoise dress?" It would seem he had seen her after all.

Other hauntings by MarvinScott

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MarvinScott, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-05)
MarvinScott Could you describe the lady's appearance? Also did she look semi-transparent or solid just as a regular person?

The fact that she came seemingly out of nowhere and that expression you saw on her face gave me the creeps.
MarvinScott (4 stories) (25 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-30)
Actually spiritwaiting, I now live in South Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact, and have numerous stories that have happened to me over the past 30 years. I never had the opportunity to return to that cemetery again, but I do look forward to posting more odd events that have happened to me over the years. Thank for reading.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-27)
Marvin,

With that job I'm sure you have many experiences to tell us! Please write more!

Have you seen the lady after that one incident?
Hmm sounds like a residual playing out.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-22)
Marvin Welcome to Y.G.S.
I would think that if any of these guys worked in that lne of work for any length of time they had to see *something* that they can't explain. Please send more,I'm sure some are funny.
Regards
Red
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
Hi Marvin, welcome to YGS.

Guess the guy who fessed up to seeing her later might have been a little scared at the time to admit anything odd was going on! What a vivid encounter you guys had.
Thanks for sharing.

I'd love to read any other experiences you've had in your line of work, if you'd be willing to share.
I spent a lot of time around cemeteries, funeral homes and morgues as a kid because of a family run florist business. However, in all those years I never encountered anything paranormal at any of these types of places. Not that I'm aware of at least. So it's always fascinating to me hearing from those who've had these kinds of experiences.
roylynx (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Wow!
Such things really would happen?
Funeral homes, they are always place of sorrow because it would be the last place where people would meet their loved once.

Talking about wondering spirits during funerals, many believe that the parted ones would not notice that they no longer belong to this world. Some would wait for a messenger to tell them or let them know what is happening and what to do.

Blessing from São Paulo

E.Lynx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: