You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Aimless Drive

Real Ghost Stories

Aimless Drive

 

My friends and I made a plan to go out to Possum Kingdom Lake State Park recently. It's a state park that is two hours away. It was a fun drive out but the place wasn't all that great. In fact, it was fairly boring and buggy. Instead of trying to make it work there, we decided to go driving. We visited Breckenridge, Vernon, Burkburnett, Waurika, and Ardmore. Basically, we went west, then north, hit Oklahoma for a couple hours, and went home.

On the drive out to Possum Kingdom, we listened to songs that we could get off the internet. At a certain point, we lost service and had to switch to the actual radio. We listened to the radio stations we already knew most of the day, but when we were heading north, we had to find new ones.

We eventually settled on this station called The Bear. It was playing 80s and 90s music, mostly 90s. Occasionally the DJ would tell us the weather. We were being followed by the bad weather all day and we thought it was pretty funny. We liked the station though. The guy had an awesome voice, we thought his way of speaking was interesting (and kind of funny), and we knew we would continue to have it for a while, because it seemed like they were based on the border of Texas and Oklahoma.

We settled into the station and the music while we were talking, joking, and all but swooning over anything remotely cute or pretty. The station had become part of the car's atmosphere. We had just been listening to it for that long.

At one point, we all quieted as we were looking over some prairie land, drawing ever closer to the border of Texas. The skyway behind us was dark but it hadn't yet started to flash with lightning. We were just admiring the view and enjoying the fact that we were out in the middle of nowhere. That's when the radio crackled out and a female voice said either, "You don't have to lock the doors" or "You never have to lock the doors".

We all caught it, confirmed it with each other. It was weird, primarily because The Bear was in mid-sentence, this other voice came out, and it was right back to The Bear. We were willing to write it off as the station cutting out though. I thought we would have to change it soon, but we didn't. We stayed on course for a long time. The radio didn't crackle again until we were much closer to Ardmore.

We have used a ghost box before and the voice seemed a lot like that. It was crackled and swift. The lady spoke clearly but she didn't sound like she was acting. It didn't sound like a commercial. I don't know why anything would tell us we didn't have to lock the door but I can't shake the feeling that it was abnormal.

Also, at the end of our trip, my best friend and I went into a restroom together. She said her neck was hurting and asked me to look at it. She had a really jagged and large scratch down her neck. She told me she had no idea where she could have gotten it from. We were in the car pretty much all day.

Whether the scratch and the voice were related or not. It seemed pretty odd. We all heard it. We've played with a ghost box before and it seemed a bit like that. It had the same sound and that's the first time I've ever heard a radio break like that in all my years of road trips. I know it's a small experience but for some reason, it feels significant.

Other hauntings by ulvenNixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ulvenNixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-22)
Hey ulvenNixie,

I think after I made sure the doors were locked (never trust unsolicited advice from a disembodied radio voice 😆) I would have hauled it out of there! I think there is probably a logical explanation for what happened but what an odd sentence to hear.

I'm glad you shared. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Calamity
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-22)
Hello Everyone!
Thank you to elfstone810 for finding the radio station! It's awesome that you found it! I will share that with the friends that were on that trip with me. My best friend's fiance really liked it. That DJ's voice is so interesting.

Loneybone - What did the woman's voice say through your amp?
Possum Kingdom is nice, small though... If you go, Breckenridge is close by and it's super cute.

RCRuskin - ^.^ I haven't re-read what I wrote, but I feel like I mentioned that I thought it could have been interference. I've been on long distance trips before though, longer ones than I was on for that trip. I've also gone on trips that were a big circle, like the last one. I know what the radio sounds like when we're moving in range of a different station or out of range of the station we're listening to. The fact that we were headed in a set direction when it happened and the radio didn't do anything else for a while made me think that it could be something more.
Of course it could be something else because there is no way for me to be able to go through every possible scenario in little car, driving through the countryside. I just know that it was an odd sentence with an interesting voice, it was a full sentence, and the fact that nothing else happened with the radio for at least an hour allowed me an opening to "It's possible".

It is possible it wasn't something otherworldly, but it's possible that it was. I thought it was interesting enough to share:D
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Ah, I learned something else today 😆 Thanks, RCRuskin, I did not know that.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Miracles, I've found that if you drive within a certain distance of an FM tower, regardless of what station you're listening to, the radio often jumps to that station.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
elfstone - lol I had Googled also and found The Bear is an FM station. I think I understand RC's reason for asking. In my area it seems AM has a lot more static or other radio stations bleed through.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
http://m.1025thebear.iheart.com

I think, if I were you, I would have immediately made sure the doors were locked.

That said, it's possible it was some sort of interference. All sorts of things operate in the radio frequencies, including cell phones, cb radios, and police band radios. If it *felt* paranormal, though, that has weight.

By the way, I think I found your radio station. You can listen to it online if you want to.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Interesting story, but one important question:

Was it an AM or FM radio station?
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hello ulvenNixie,

Sometimes, it seems that things happen that are quite strange that don't always stand out to other people or they just brush it off. It doesn't have to be a full on apparition or a dead body!

As you said, sometimes things are significant. But you miss them if you're not paying attention...

Good read. 😉
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Wow nice story I like it. I live in Texas but I've never been up there since I live near Huston. Yeah and that is pretty weird actually. Something similar happened to me actually, I was outside and I was using my guitar and amp out there so my mom wouldn't hear all the noise inside. Well all of a sudden I take a brake and I can hear a woman's voice coming through the amp it just shocked me because I didn't expect it. I mean the amp is nothing like a radio and there's no way for that even to happen. But the way I saw it was that maybe it interfered with a radio tower or something. And yeah thanks for sharing I liked this story a lot and now I want to visit possum kingdom:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: