You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dancing Heads

Real Ghost Stories

Dancing Heads

 

Before I begin, I would like to share something that happened while I was typing this up. I use Word to type out my experiences so that I can double check the spelling and whatnot as I go and before I submit it. I was in the middle of typing out this story, in fact I had just gotten to a part in which I mentioned that I wish I had never experienced this at all, when my computer restarted itself. It wasn't really a full restart because the screen went black and it let me sign back in again. Happily, Word auto-saved some of my progress, but it didn't save anything after I explained who was in the house with me. The computer didn't update. It never warned me that it was going to restart (which is what it's always done in the past). It just did a quick restart while I was typing. Weird, right? In any case.

Dancing Heads:

The weirdest experience I've ever had was at my Grandparent's house. My Grandparents (on my mother's side) lived in a small town in Iowa. Their house was a light gray, one story rental that was definitely on the small side. The kitchen table across from the sink and the stove was next to the entryway to the living room. The house only had one bedroom but the bathroom looked like a bedroom that had been converted by putting a bathtub, toilet and sink on one side and putting a washer and dryer in the closet. It was cozy and my mom and I visited every chance we got.

Much to my delight, my cousins and aunt also visited as frequently as they could. My cousin Tyler is 11 months my junior and my cousin Samuel is closer to 5 years younger than him. This experience happened when all of us were at the house together. My aunt, Tyler and Samuel had gotten there very late but seeing Tyler made me giddy. He was basically my brother. I have brothers, but they're all much older than me. Tyler and I were two peas in a pod, so to speak. We were so close, people mistook us for siblings constantly. I hadn't seen him in awhile and I was absolutely jazzed that he was finally there.

To my horror, everyone else was not as energetic as I was. In fact, everyone was exhausted. We made up beds in the living room and my grandparents' room. I can't remember if this was before or after my grandfather had passed away, to be honest, but I do remember it was a full house. My mom stayed in her parents' room, my aunt laid down on the couch, Samuel laid two mattress cushions on the ground and called it a bed, while Tyler and I shared the pull-out mattress.

Like I said, everyone else was tired and so they quickly became frustrated with me being so hyper. I wanted to talk and goof around. I was quickly put in my place but I was still fairly happy over all. I remember laying there, wide awake, long after everyone else seemed to be asleep. I was daydreaming about going to the park and rough housing. Eventually it occurred to me that if I went to sleep, I would get to do those things much faster.

I tossed and turned a few times and ended up laying on my back, looking out into the kitchen. The space between the kitchen and the living room was very open. The only wall that was there was actually for a coat closet next to the front door. The rest of it was unimpeded, like it was all one big room. The kitchen was pretty dark that night and I was definitely afraid of the dark. I stopped daydreaming and just looked out into it. While it made me nervous, I had so much family around me that I wasn't officially afraid.

I am not sure what changed but as I looked out there, I could feel a sense of dread creeping over me. I wanted to look away. I definitely should have, but I didn't know that then. Instead, I got an eyeful of the wildest thing I've ever seen in my life.

One moment I was looking out into my grandparents' kitchen. I could see the white table with its silver legs. I could see the sink and the refrigerator. I could sort of make out the open doorway to the bathroom between the sink and the nearby stove. It was as it should, but when I blinked there was something new.

In that instant there were at least five hanging heads in the entry way to the living room. They were hanging from the white ceiling by braided black hair around where their necks should be. Their cheeks were full and their eyes were wide. Their most distinguishing feature was that they were all colorful. If I remember correctly, there was a blue face, a green, a purple, a red, and a yellow too. Other than the vibrant colors and the fact that they seemed a little on the small size, they looked like human heads. Some had wrinkles, one had deep set eyes. They looked at me for a moment and they just started laughing. I couldn't hear them laughing, but I could see it. They bounced and swayed with the effort. They would swivel and look at each other while they laughed at me, all without any attached bodies.

They were only there for a few seconds. When I first saw them, I froze with my mouth gaping. I wasn't sure what was looking at but the hair-nooses really freaked me out. Their colors really reminded me of dreams I had when I was much younger. I used to dream of dogs and the like in odd colors, just like they were, but I hadn't done that in years and I knew I was wide awake. I felt my body start to shake and I let out this short-lived scream. The noise escaped me a moment but it just choked off in my throat.

Just like that, they were gone. My aunt yelled at me for waking her up. Tyler whispered to me through his exhaustion to ask me if I was all right. I tried to tell him what happened but I got shushed again. I didn't want to get in trouble but I was scared. I considered running to my mom but I didn't want to jump off the bed. I scooted closer to Tyler and buried my face in my pillow. I forced myself to fall asleep so I wouldn't essentially be alone with the heads anymore.

I have had scarier experiences but this is the one that's hard for me to tell people. The colors of the heads always throws people off. I wish I could explain it. I don't know why they were odd colors or almost shrunken in appearance. They were smaller than normal heads, that's for sure, but it wasn't like they looked like real shrunken heads. I don't know what was going on and I wish it hadn't happened because it's just so weird. I know I was awake though and I can't forget it.

Other hauntings by ulvenNixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ulvenNixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-02)
Wish-Not - I'm sorry you could relate to how I feel about this experience. I see you have stories posted and I imagine the reason why you can relate is in at least one of those. I will definitely check out what you've written and keep an eye out for more from you as well.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-02)
cloudy - That's what they reminded me of for a long time. When I was younger, I used to wonder if they had anything to do with actual shrunken heads, but I realized that it was extremely unlikely considering I was in a tiny town in Iowa.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-02)
BloodEman - I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Life has been a little chaotic. To answer your question, I was definitely awake. I have had dreams where I thought everything happening in them was happening in real life, until I woke up. The difference is, I always woke up eventually. There wasn't a point when I woke up and went, "Well that was pretty wild". I was wide awake, barely able to contain my excitement about being surrounded by my family. What scared me the most about it was that it happened with all my family right there and I was still the only one that witnessed it. It took away my sense of security in the moment.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-17)
Nixie- Holy Cow! That must have been something else to bare on your on. I really, really had a great visual on the different heads. Creepy!

I understand "I wish it hadn't happened",...that's my User Name in a nutshell.

Certainly glad I backed up and read the rest of your stories. It's easy to miss some. I'll be looking for yours.
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-14)
That's scary and freaky, made me think of shrunken heads, like head hunter trophies 😲 it's rather disgusting, something like these
Http://www.head-hunter.com/art_implosion.html
BloodEman (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-13)
really creepy...
I got some questions.

Are you sure you were awake that time.?
This is the first time I heard this kind of a story.
Really creepy. But if I was there I won't be afraid. Because there was a whole family around you... 😊
However if you have time please respond.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
Zeromaru - Thank you for commenting. Funny enough, I would have to feel like I was going to explode to get up the nerve to go to the bathroom at my grandparents' house, even if there was a lot of people there,... I was like that before that experience and that experience definitely didn't help with that.
Zeromaru (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
Hi! Thanks for sharing!
It is surely odd!
If it was me I will have trouble going to the toilet alone at night... Scary 😭
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
Hello again gelflingfay!

I've never considered that it could have been that connected. That is certainly something to mull over.

My multi-colored dog dreams were all very similar. I was a dog in those dreams too. I was often an animal in dreams as a kid so that wasn't abnormal. What was weird about the multi-colored dreams, other than the fact that the animals around me (usually dogs) were odd, vibrant colors) was that there was always someone trying to kill me in those dreams. The one I remember the most vividly was that I was a part of a family of strangely colored dogs. I was a puppy. I had a puppy brother and sister. There was a mom and dad. We were living in a box in an alley way when all of the sudden, the father dog decided that he was going to eat the puppies, myself included.
I've never thought that it could have been an outside force effecting my dreams. When I was little, I just thought it was weird and as I got older (and more into reading psychological studies) I figured it was my young psyche working through various stresses in life using some very scary imagery.

I can't say it wasn't an outside source though. The coloration was very close.
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
It sounds like what ever it was was what caused your dreams were you were younger and came back to give you a scare and confuse you.

It/they are pranksters. You saw multiple colorful dogs you say in dreams. It seems like whatever is is also perhaps tested new waters and since you could not sleep, perhaps visited you when you would normally be asleep and decided to get you anyway.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with you being awake or asleep at all but a visit happening at night. Like a schedule. Like,"Hey we haven't seen this kid in awhile want to give him wierd dreams again?", "Sure!", "Well hell the kid is awake now what?", "Let's scare him anyway!" You know something like that. It is possible.
The fact is that we know so little about what is going on. We may know or think we know but as the rules do not seem well defined on what goes on or for sure who is causing it or what we can only speculate. Sometimes we get solid feeling and solid answers but sometime I have to wonder how solid that footing really is. You know. Anyway it just seems to enjoy screwing with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: