You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mysterious Hauntings On Summit Drive

Real Ghost Stories

Mysterious Hauntings On Summit Drive

 

Apologies in advance for the length of this post. I figured it would be best to get my whole story out there. Some of what I will say will seem outlandish, but when I say my house would give Amityville a run for it's money, I wish I was kidding.

As I write this, I'm currently in my 20s, but this story has been developing for close to seven decades now. When I was younger, the events I'm about to share used to scare me, but now that I'm older, it's something I just kind of live with. These are the first-hand accounts from myself, my friends and family regarding the house I currently reside.

Based on the age of neighboring homes, we estimate our house was built sometime in the late-1940s with a Cape Cod-esque design. The housing development we live in sits on top of an old shale mine, and was the former property of a coke/iron ore company, both dating back to the late-1800s; which, of course, isn't a surprise, as coke ovens dotted the ridges everywhere here in Western Pennsylvania for well over a century. With so much history on the property, perhaps it is no surprise that there is at least some activity. However, most of the hauntings we have encountered seem to go far beyond the history of the land.

My father bought the property in the early-1980s. A single father to my three step-siblings, he moved his business from Fayette County up to Greensburg, hoping that a change of scenery would do them well. As my father's business began to thrive, my brother and two sisters were all working for the company between going to college classes. Most of the time, the three of them were in the house for most of the day, as my dad had opened up a room in the house to be used as a sort of "satellite office." From the beginning, though, there was a sense of discomfort with living there. Perhaps the emotional stress of the recent divorce of my dad and his wife had a good deal to do with it, but there was something else; a feeling that cannot be described in the physical realm.

As ominous as that sounds, perhaps the realtor who sold my dad the house had really given a forewarning. He said that the house had been owned by multiple families, most especially in the last few years leading up to that day. When my father asked why there had been so many different owners, he was supposedly told "they couldn't take the constant hauntings." In fact, he continued, the house had not only been blessed by priests, but an exorcism was performed at the request of the last owner. Of course, my dad, a few years removed from the military (and toughened as a result), said he wasn't concerned about "ghosts that didn't exist." As it stands today, he couldn't have been more wrong.

It's hard to know where to start, but I'll try to recall the events in a semi-chronological order:

My brother and two sisters roomed in the adjoining upstairs bedroom across the hall from my dad's room. The first few months, they would hear tapping noises and voices coming from the attic/cubby-hole (which, in Cape Cod-styled houses, is level with the second floor). While it seemed strange, my siblings usually ignored it, being implored to do so by my dad. However, things began to get strange after about a year in the house. They would occasionally see shadows move from room-to-room, but usually brushed it off as "seeing things." Doors opened and closed on their own, but those were also usually cast-off as "drafts of air in an old, drafty house."

Yet the occurrences began to escalate further. Their house cats would stare intently at a random point in an empty room, hiss and then run frantically around the house, as if being chased by something purely mean and aggressive. The TV in the living room began shutting itself off and on, increasing volume to full blast on its own, and flipping the channel to "dead air" (fuzzy or black screen with white noise). Sounds of glassware clanging in the kitchen would be heard, only to be left unexplained when explored by my dad and siblings. Even more bizarrely, cold glasses of ice water would turn up all over the house, even while no one was home for days prior. And these were just the COMMON occurrences. The unique stories still give me chills.

My brother Todd was taking a shower between classes, in the middle of the day, when he heard the front door open and close (it has bells attached to it, so it makes a distinct sound). Both of my sisters were away, so he assumed it was our father. While he found it odd that my dad would have come home from work so early, he brushed it off. A few minutes later, he heard the bathroom door open. "Hey, dad," he said. Moments of silence passed. "Dad?" he questioned. Figuring dad was pulling a fast one, he ripped open the curtain, just to see that, not only was he the only one in there, but the door was still closed. Perplexed but unfazed, he closed the curtain and continued showering. When he finished, he went to pull open the curtain again. This time, however, he felt something solid on the other side... Freaked, he yanked the curtain open again and, of course, he is the only person in the bathroom. Shocked beyond belief, he darted out of the bathroom, ran down the steps to the front door at the bottom: seeing it was locked, he yelled for my dad. Not only did he not get a response of any kind, but my dad was still at work. No one was there. A few weeks later, he left the house, swearing to never return as a result of his encounter. To this day, he hasn't.

Yet most of my siblings' encounters with the paranormal revolved around my sister, Lisa, mostly after my other two siblings had already moved out. On multiple occasions, she would see a tall dark mass travel through rooms/walls late at night, but that was the least of her worries. The experiences began to get physical. One night in particular, she was awakened by a little girl's laughter. Assuming she was dreaming, she had to blink a few times to make sure she was awake. As she went to roll over on her side to look around the room, she discovered she was "paralyzed" from the neck down. It wasn't paralysis in the typical sense, however, as she could slightly move her limbs: rather, it was as if something was pinning her down, as she also claimed to have been very short of breath. Much to her dismay, when she looked out of the corner of her eye, she saw a child dancing in a circle in the middle of her room. She tried to scream for help but, again, she was very short of breath. She finally mustered up enough energy and breath to let out a very loud scream, yet my dad, who was and still is a very light sleeper, didn't hear her in the room next door. All she could do was close her eyes and hope it would go away. It didn't. After a half hour of agony, she finally let out yet another scream. This time, my parents did hear her. They rushed into the room and found Lisa in a cold sweat, still unable to move. She was rushed to the ER, where doctors had no idea what would have caused such a physical anomaly. What shocked them even more, though, was when she snapped out of her paralysis completely, without medical explanation. What happened a few weeks later, however, would not only scare her more than that night, but would drive her out of the house for good, much like my brother.

Lisa was getting ready for class when she heard the TV turn on in the living room. She figured someone had come home, not really thinking anything of it. After a few minutes, however, it got a lot louder. Curious, she went downstairs to check on things. She looked all over the house: she was alone. A little spooked, she shut the TV off and headed back upstairs. She reached the top step when the TV turned on again. Now really freaked, she raced downstairs to shut off the TV. This time, it wouldn't shut off. At the same time, the kitchen cupboard doors started slamming, the garage door started slamming, and, even more alarmingly, papers and other objects began flying down the steps. Unable to go anywhere due to being surrounded by this paranormal activity, she frantically called my dad. Hearing the commotion in the background, combined with Lisa being hysterical, he immediately rushed home to find the house in complete shambles, and Lisa pale white. She left the house a few days later, and has only entered the house three other times in the 30+ years since.

The spooky occurrences never really stopped after that, but seemed to subside slightly after one night in particular, when my parents had friends over to the house for a party. One woman who attended was skeptical that such an unassuming house would have so much activity and, in general, was a skeptic of the paranormal. She mocked the spirits, saying "if you really exist, come home with me." A few days later, she called my parents, telling them something was in her house that she couldn't explain. It's hard to tell what came of the woman, or if the spirits still reside at her residence. What became clear, though, is some of the spirits may have indeed left my house, because the activity decreased significantly.

That is far from where the story ends, however. In many regards, things would get worse.

After my father was elected to the PA State Senate in 1988, my parents spent most of their time on the road, mostly in Harrisburg. While the "reports" of activity obviously decreased (since they were rarely around), they would still occasionally come home to find objects disheveled and misplaced. At the turn of the decade, though, the events would become more and more common, starting with my birth in 1992.

We traveled home from Harrisburg just after the Blizzard of '92 had run its course. I was obviously too young to remember much of anything, but my parents were presented with a bit of a surprise when we got home. Sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor was a tub of ice cream. It was overturned, and, much like the ice water found around the house in the years prior, completely un-melted. What was even more bizarre was the fact the freezer door was closed. This started a string of strange occurrences over the next few months, such as the "self-aware" TV again, rattling shutters on the windows, etc. Overall, though, the majority of major hauntings had seemed to cease. Problem was, they actually hadn't.

Because that's around the time when experiences involving me began to occur. My parents didn't always bring me with them on the road. In fact, many times, I was put in the care of my mom's friend, Tina, would usually house-sit our place while looking after me. She would always complain about strange noises, cold-spots and the like, but she was never really truly affected by it. One night in the mid-90s, however, she was sleeping in a bed next to mine, when she awoke suddenly from a deep sleep. She sat up, looked around and saw a figure standing by the door. Thinking it was me, she called out to me and received no response. She said, "Come back to bed," but immediately got chills when she glanced over and saw I was still in my bed. When she turned back around, the figure was directly at the foot of her bed. It was a translucent figure of a young boy in colonial clothing, with pale skin and, disturbingly, no eyes. Obviously, she freaked out. By the time she ran over and grabbed me, the figure had disappeared. She brought me downstairs, and we stayed there until morning... With the lights on. What adds to the credence of her account is that it took place in Lisa's old room, where she spotted the little girl dancing around the room years before. Tina vowed never to return, and has followed through on that promise.

Meanwhile, that would remain my room until I was about 15 years old. At first, I was never bothered about being in the room but, as most kids are growing up, I wanted my night-light on all the time. Nothing significant really occurred to me directly until I was about 11 or 12, when I would have a series of experiences I will never forget.

The first time I had a direct run-in with the paranormal, I woke up from a deep sleep and saw a large dark mass hanging over the side of my bed. I couldn't move, and it felt as if I was lifted up off the bed. Before I could scream, something... The best way I can describe it was a serpent-looking figure... Lurched out from the black mass and dug right into my side. My back arched, and I could feel my energy and breath being drained out of me. I was trying to scream, but nothing was coming out. The mass then dropped me back down onto the bed and crept back in the direction of the attic door. I repeatedly tried to scream for my parents, but I was so out-of-breath it was if I was whispering. After about 10 minutes, I finally got enough strength to scream for help. Right at that moment, something I hadn't noticed that was off during the whole ordeal came back on: the fan next to my bed. My mom came running in asking what was wrong, and I couldn't even describe to her what had just occurred. For the next few days, I was fatigued, and my ribs were incredibly sore, so I know for sure that what I saw wasn't a dream.

A few weeks later, I woke up mid-morning (it was a weekend) and felt very strange, as if I was being pushed down. When I tried to move, just like my sister years before, I was paralyzed, but, again, not in the typical way. I could move my limbs slightly, but I was completely pinned down. I tried to scream out for help, but there was nothing coming out. Terrified and struggling for at least an hour, I forced myself to go back to sleep. I woke up a half hour later (in my estimation) extremely sore, but able to move. When I told my mom, she tried to explain it away, but the look on her face told me she knew something wasn't right.

Shortly thereafter, I began getting severe fevers every other month, and with these illnesses came horrifying hallucinations, where my heart-rate accelerated to such a high level my mom thought I was having a heart attack or severe seizure. These hallucinations were shockingly realistic, and each one involved death. Many of them were repeated night after night, the most common one being me free-falling to earth above my house (I could see my neighborhood on the way down). As I approached the ground, a dark red hole with a black ring around it would open up where my house was, and the closer I got to it, the more I would feel as if I was on fire. After I entered the burning hole, I would find myself being sucked into a huge iron furnace, and as I reached the inside, my eyes would shoot open. I would see my mom kneeling next to me trying to calm me down, as I would apparently be in cold sweats with screaming tantrums for 20+ minutes before I would come-to. Even more disturbingly, she would always come in and find me in a different corner of my room during these hallucinations.

A few months later, I woke up with three scratch marks on my back (in the pattern of the mocking of the trinity, which I still have a small scar from). Shortly thereafter, a change overcame me, seemingly overnight. To summarize, I don't remember much of my age 12 and 13 years. When I checked out our old camcorder years later, I found self-recordings of me rambling gibberish for long periods of time in my room. Completely incoherent talk. And do I remember any of it? Not in the least. Shocked, I erased the recordings immediately thereafter, not wanting to experience a side of me I had never personally seen, and certainly couldn't explain. I wound up going on a church camp trip in February of 2006, and the best way I can describe it is, whatever was possessing me was driven out during a very spiritually-charged church service (where I actually felt something leave me and then fainted).

After that, I was compelled to finally move my room downstairs, and we turned my old room into a storage room. While this ended many of our experiences, things still happen. Once, while talking about the hauntings with a friend, a potato in a cellophane bag next to our countertop popped out of the upright bag and rolled to the middle of the kitchen floor, stopping on a dime. An automatic toothbrush in the upstairs bathroom has turned on inexplicably multiple times. A wire was somehow cut in the light switch box next to the front door, shutting off power to the entire house in the process. The sound of doors opening and closing still happen. Glassware from the top shelf of the pantry gets lined up neatly and upright on the floor on occasion. A bird kept ramming itself into a window for weeks (an omen of death in folklore): the window location? My old room. My friend from Boston, who mocked there being spirits in the house, was scratched while he slept. Items have flown off the walls of my room into the middle of the floor. Objects disappear, then reappear in the same spot days later. Our stereo will turn on by itself and switch to white noise. Male voices are still heard from the attic, and I refuse to go to certain parts of the house, especially at night, because of an overwhelming feeling of being watched. I have even had out-of-body experiences and nightmares of the demon children while in my current room.

It's obvious my house still has activity, but it is much less frequent (and, in my opinion, a little less sinister). I feel as if the crucifixes we have lining the house have helped, as well as much stronger personal emotional and spiritual state we are all in as a family. But that doesn't change the past of a property which has seen more than its fair share of hauntings.

It is up to you whether you take our experiences as truth or not, but after 30+ years of hauntings involving numerous people, I don't think we've been imagining things.

Comments and discussion are welcome. I have plenty of other stories from other locations, but considering I live in a haunted house, I figured I'd give my accounts from here first.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kingofstrings92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PARANORMALWITNESSTV (10 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-08)
Thanks for sharing this extraordinary story. I am a producer on the Syfy Channel's hit series: Paranormal Witness and I wanted to get in touch to find out if you would be interested in sharing your story. If so please drop me a line at: olive.king [at] raw.co.uk
Many Thanks,
Ladyhawk84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-09)
I know the ex-owner of the house allready did an exorcism, but seems its still continue the things... Anyway looks like you have a lot of poltergeist in your house, and I doubt are just bad ghosts, I think are involved some demons, I think its good to make another exorcism, and you need a blessing for you and your family, from a priest, and try to use salt in the corners of the house, or around your bed, try to burn some sage and basil, and use some holy water by spraying in all the house... I hope all this will help you, and try to say some prayers yourself, I really hope and wish to find your rest, and if you are religious maybe its good to have a small cross all the time with you and God bless you and your family!
TheCrone (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
I am assuming the house was in Westmoreland County? I have heard plenty of stories like your from that county.
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Wow, that was a terrifying as all hell read. Man. I can't even imagine living in a house like that. My ex has told me about having a similar issue with a similar type of child spirit, which I myself even had an encounter with (albeit briefly) so I know how freaky things like that could be on a level.

But seriously, it sounds like whatever is in there has quieted down at least. But considering all this, seriously, sell the story and you have the next The Conjuring or Amittyville!:) I only jest, obviously.

Anyways, really disturbing and thoroughly interesting read, I am glad that the haunting has at least simmered down for you guys.
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Nectarvore - Very interesting. I actually found your story and read it. I'm in agreement with you, there were a few things about our paralysis that leads me to believe that it was something other than sleep paralysis. I had just agreed with elnoraemily below that it was a possible explanation, but I'm not totally sold that science has an answer for those experiences.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
The specific parallels... In summery? My mother, father and I heard a gunshot by our back door that didn't set our kelpies off. The dogs did not respond to the noise... Like the sound was encapsulated specifically to include us but exclude the dogs. Secondly, the odd behaviour of animals acting as if under threat... When there was no rational reason. Thirdly, the activity centring around one room and one child... In our case, my brother... I think it was as simple as he was unknowingly given the most haunted bedroom. Poor little bloke. Haha. There's a few other specifics but I'm taking up space on this thread:)
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Yes, Kings of String, mines called Old House In The Forest. Forewarned though, it's not a patch on your story haha:) ... The silent force field bit was the part that intrigued me... About five years ago, I had a night paralysis episode... And as sinister as the experience was, I know night paralysis can be explained rationally. The part that can't was me screaming my ex lads name... After I could move again, as Loud as I could, three times. I was too afraid to move. Screaming was all I was game for. In the very next room, he couldn't hear me. It's just impossible. A few sharers of stories on this site describe similar experiences. Where they made sound, but weren't heard. There's something in that.
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Oh, to revisist elnoraemily's comment real quick about the faulty wiring: I guess I sorta read-over your sentence of the wiring causing the garage door to go crazy. I should probably mention my garage door is not electric. It's a heavy, manual-open garage door with a lock. Something out-of-this-world (or realm, whichever you'd prefer) was causing that activity that day.
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Nectarvore - Have you posted a story about your house? I'd be interested in knowing some of the parallels.

As always, I appreciate each of your interests in my story. It's nice to have intelligent discussion about these events. Most of my friends have heard the story and are too scared to talk about it further or explore it in any way, so this is a nice change-of-pace.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
There are so many parallels between this house and my childhood home... Except that my story isn't nearly as intense as this... That takes a considerable amount of energy for a spirit to manifest in physical form re the shower curtain... I am astounded that your father didn't sell the place outright... I really do wonder about the likelihood of places of such concentrated energy being completely cleared. The house of Amityville Horror fame was deemed too haunted to be cleared... I was reading about it some time ago... Re whether certain places can ever be reclaimed from a haunting so intensely rooted to a place... There are places here in Australia that I leave well alone, places of Indigenous massacre and decimation that will be haunted, I sense, for many years to come... Beyond the intuitive respect I give to the dead, especially the ones who have not crossed over... I just quietly bless, ask permission to pass and don't hang around... I wonder if your house was built upon compromised ground. It would seem that some places also attract intensely concentrated phenomenon... I wonder if it's ley lines in the earth crossing nearby... My other suggestion was high EMF... But that's already been covered... This story was intriguing from beginning to end and well told. Thank you for sharing it.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
It's possible to exorcise not only a person or a house, but an object as well... It's definitely debatable whether a possessed object is better off stored away (perhaps given to priest as opposed to kept in your space...) as opposed to exorcised... Or destroyed ie burning, thrown into running water etc... The priest in that movie, The Conjuring, equates this to a genie being safer in a bottle. I bring this up in response to the comment further down this thread re exorcism of the house... This is often a subject regarding ouija boards... What exactly is safe disposal of a cursed or possessed object...?
21914 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Your story could be a movie haha:D I enjoyed it a lot and I hope everything worked out alright.
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
[at] Unexplained - As far as the information provided by the realtor who sold my dad the house was concerned, the first family who lived here built the house by themselves in the 40s. Before that, this neighborhood was literally nothing but slate mines and coke ovens for the steel mill which used to be at the bottom of my hill.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
Do you have any substantial history on the property? Was the place ever used as a public house? A bar or something?
kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
Hey, everyone. Sorry for the tardy response... I didn't know this would post so quickly.

In response to elnoraemily, yes, an exorcism was tried. I'm not sure how that all works, either, but I have to believe the source. About the sleep paralysis, I kind of figured this was the case. Just rather bizarre that both myself and my sister would have such similar hallucinations. Also, the fact that the sleep paralysis has never returned to either of us outside that room gets me wondering sometimes... But you are likely right.

About the electromagnetic field... It's certainly possible that some weird things happened via the field. We have an old house which has never been re-wired, though, and most of those events would happen regularly (you would think, anyway) if electromagnetism was the cause, you know?

And yes, many of the hallucinations were likely caused by fever, though (and I didn't make this clear in the story) some of them occurred outside me having a fever, yet were repeats of when I had them while having a fever, if that makes sense. Though those can probably be chalked up as night terrors, so it's likely those probably aren't all that paranormal, either. The figure next to my bed, though? That I know wasn't a dream. Haha. Thanks for the input!

MelLundquist - Precisely so. I believe there are multiple different spirits here, the sinister ones upstairs in my old room and the attic. The rest of them seem pretty "chill."

Miracles 51031 - My dad is absolutely a believer now. He still casts off a lot of things, but I think it's mainly because he's grown accustomed to things happening here, so it doesn't bother him.

Thanks for the feedback! I welcome any and all questions.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
kingofstrings92 - honestly, your story kept me interested from beginning to end. I have questions/comments, but only one that I truly would like to know the answer to now.

Is your dad still a non-believer?
MelLundquist (8 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
I seems as though you have ghosts, demons and or polgists in your home.
elnoraemily (guest)
-2
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
You can exorcise a house? I didn't even know that was possible. I love new information. I though that only people were subject to exorcisms.

No to sound offensive in anyway, but the paralysis has a very common cause called sleep paralysis. It is essentially caused by the body waking and the brain staying in a dream state. It's terrifying, but it's not paranormal in nature. You can have visions caused by the brain's dream state and have auditory hallucinations during this.

Out of curiosity, has the house ever been rewired? You mentioned the problems with the TV and that makes me wonder about if you had an abnormally high electric field level- it can cause intense fear, panic, anxiety and typically low level hallucinations involving sounds and shadows. Faulty wiring can also cause the garage doors hissy fit and the TV's attitude problems. Those things can quite possibly have very, very earthly origins.

Several of your hallucinations were caused by your high fevers and I am sorry that they were that bad. I have experienced fever induced hallucinations as a child and they were incredibly uncomfortable to experience.

Obviously, it doesn't explain everything that you experienced and I don't mean to belittle you and your families experience at all. I am just offering some suggestions to explain some of the simpler things that happened in this rather fantastical account.

Hopefully, your family and you are happier now and I wish you the very best.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: