You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Visit From Something Evil

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit From Something Evil

 

Growing up, I lived in a house I'm sure was haunted by at least one benevolent ghost. I know such things aren't the norm, and I can't explain them, but I do know hauntings are quite real. It was not uncommon for things to vanish one day only to turn up in an obvious location a few days later.

On one occasion, when I was 13, I came across my mother's wedding ring, which she had lost while going to yard sales when I was a toddler. It was laying under the edge of a TV on an old steamer trunk we used to store blankets during the summer. There was no way it had lain there all that time, in full view of anyone passing by.

On another occasion, I was under the weather and had stayed home from school. Around 3:30, my mother had gotten home from sub teaching. I remember laying there listening to her working on things in the kitchen, kind of in la-la land, when an unseen force pushed me down in the bed. I remember vividly feeling myself pushed, seeing my visual perspective change as my body moved downward slightly, and hearing the bed springs squeak. That brought me fully alert, laying there thinking, "What the *bleep* just happened?" The next thing I knew, the smoke alarm outside my bedroom door went off. I jumped up and went running out into the hall to find the upstairs of the house filled with smoke. I hurried downstairs, since that seemed to be where the smoke was coming from, only to find that my mother had burned something rather spectacularly while cooking. Still, something or someone was apparently trying to warn me of danger.

When I bought my house, where I currently reside, I thought that was all behind me. Not so, but in a much less pleasant way.

One night, back when I was a bachelor, I was happily snoozing away in my bedroom when I was suddenly awakened around 3 AM by a feeling of malevolence. I opened my eyes to see a pure black figure, human shaped, that reached from the floor to the ceiling nine feet up. The figure was strangely blocky, almost pixelated in appearance. (Pixelation is what you see when you zoom in too far on a digital picture.) I don't know how long it had been watching me, if that is even the right word, because there were no discernible eyes.

I'm a paramedic and a firefighter, and not the sort to scare easily. This time though, I had an instinctual, primal terror. My only thought was "OH SHIT! DEFEND YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!" What they use to call a "Katie bar the door" reaction.

At the time, I kept a loaded 9mm Beretta pistol on my nightstand. (Some of the nightlife around here ain't the greatest.) I instantly lunged for it. Before my hand had made it even halfway across my body, the figure departed at high speed through the outside wall of the house. The feeling was such that there is no doubt in my mind that, had the figure still been there when I brought the gun up, I would not have hesitated to open fire on it just as fast as I could sweep the safety and pull the trigger.

I have not seen the figure again. In the years since that day, I met my wife, the love of my life, and I now have two kids. The gun is now locked up in the gun cabinet, of course, and I have not seen the figure since. Maybe I scared it as much as it scared me?

Whatever the case may be, I can't get one thought out of my mind- Suppose I had actually fired on the figure. And suppose I fired, say, seven times... But only found five bullet holes in the wall?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mark101, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-24)
Mark 101,

Haha! Finally someone has accomplished possibly scaring a possible shadow being away!

Fascinating read, I enjoyed this quite a bit.
I have seen shadow beings on many occasions as have many others on this site, and I don't recall anyone stating a shadow being running for the hills!

On a serious note though, I agree with many posters. Your energy as strong as it most likely was, probably surprised it. And made it think twice about trying anything, ha wrong house wrong man.

Thank you so much for sharing, this put a smile on my face, and gave me a great feeling of hoorah.

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Greetings, Mark.

I'm with Seraphina on this one.

When you need to reach for an object, that takes a certain degree of focus on your body placement and the location of the object. (Research in the last decade indicates that 'body placement' is a sense, like sight, hearing, balance, etc. We're just accustomed to having bodies, and knowing where the limbs are, so we don't think about them on a conscious level most of the time.) Since the object in question was a Baretta 9mm, your body is working almost entirely on auto-pilot, so your primary focus is to maintain a mental lock on the target object with the intent to place the majority of your shots in a tight grouping on the center of mass, even if it begins to move. (As you've chosen to own a solidly-built pistol which has minimal recoil --originally designed for higher-caliber bullets, decades ago, if memory serves-- I'm going to guess you've had military training?) That level of confident motion and intense focus on the intended target will alarm anyone or anything who is expecting to be the scary individual in the confrontation. That sinking feeling from "I am terrifying" to "I am target practice" will remove the desire to linger.

Shadow entities often exhibit the tendency to elicit fear responses and to stay with/near to an individual who frightens easily because they seem to feed upon the fear; this is referred to as "attachment." Basically, they're like terrifying supernatural leeches. If your reaction to being frightened awake is to reach for a handgun which has a reputation for propelling bullets with accuracy, very few people, spirits, or entities will go to the trouble of surprising you twice...

I'm guessing that being startled awake meant your mind was not preoccupied with anything else, so all the entity got was a brief flash of fear and a tsunami of "I'm going to shoot it, then figure out what the hell it is." Your intent to harm it was probably the overwhelming sensation you generated: not what it wanted at all.

Fun story, clearly told. However, your speculation at the end does not really fit with the intense description of the action. This entity did leave via a wall, after all. Though no-one knows for certain exactly what causes these manifestations/entities, to the best of my knowledge, no one has shot one successfully with anything besides a camera.

Best,
Biblio.
Bonifaz (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-13)
Hello,

Seems like a shadow person to me. They are mostly harmless, but still evoke a lot of fear in humans.

And, why do you think that benevolent spirits are not the norm? There are a lot of them out there. They just don't seem to interact a lot with us.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-13)
I don't think it was scared away by your gun. I do think whatever it was perhaps read your energy and knew you were a fighter, so rather than try it, it knew to quit while it was ahead.

Just a thought. We humans do the same. That guy nobody will sit next to on the bus. That person you have just crossed the road to avoid even though you don't know them, the shortcut you avoid taking on your own, when the phone rings you know its not good news... We all have that instinctual self preservation read on things. Perhaps spirit does too.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
Hi, Mark101. What an intense story! Thank you for sharing it with us.
In thinking about the dark figure's reaction to your pointed gun, I started wondering whether the symbolic intent of your action helped you focus and project your own energy more effectively.
It's just a thought. I'm an amateur when it comes to the paranormal, but some of our experienced folks might post and either agree or set me right.
Blessings,
Seraphina
doomisforu (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
If it was one time your fine, if you had fired at with your gun it could angered the spirte and if it is not human it could have hurt and follow. Note: even human ghost can hurt you.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-10)
Ahoy, Mark.

That sounds like a textbook Shadow Person encounter. There're a lot of them on this site, though I've never seen one, and I don't want to see one. *knock on wood*

I'm glad to know your life is going well.

Smooth sailing,
Mazz
brenttan (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
The question is could the physical gun have any effect on a spirit that "passed through the outside wall"? Perhaps it was just scared as your feeling was a fight adrenaline mode, maybe it had thought you were going to reach for holy water or a crucifix, cross or blessed amulet/object? Kinda cowardly spirit it seems too, to be nine feet tall and yet so easily scared! Thanks for sharing your experience.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
Fascinating story.

It makes me wonder something. The Borg, from Star Trek: The Next Generation have an odd duality about them. Aggressive conquerors, yet also at times ignoring folks. Mostly switching between the two modes as the script requires. But perhaps some of the benign or neutral hauntings we experience are malevolent entities who are just not interested in us at a given moment?

As to the ring, I could tell you how I hid stuff from my dad for a year by putting it on the coffee table as a stand for the TV's remote control.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: