You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Else Lives Here?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Else Lives Here?

 

My husband and I purchased and moved into a brand new apartment in a very urban area. For the first few months we were settling in and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. After about four months of living here I started noticing a few odd things happening. Occasionally I would see something out of the corner of my eye that looked person shaped. The most frequent occurrence was that the water in the kitchen would turn itself off and on. I would also find the lights on when I was sure I had turned them off, I would find household items out of place. Then the light in our bedroom started turning itself off and on when we were right there in the room.

I started to think that the place was haunted. My husband tried to write it all off as water pressure changes or construction defects. He did have a point. The faucet that was turning off and on was one that could easily be influenced by odd pressure changes that do happen in new high rise buildings. The light that was turning off and on was one that was on a timer and could have been being triggered by stray signals from someone's remote. The one thing that made me wonder if this was all happening by design was that often the lights going off and on or the water going off and on would happen when we were talking about the possibility of a ghost. Almost like some intelligence was making a point.

Knowing that some of this could be easily explainable I started talking to the ghost. I said that the things that were happening were all really relatively easy to explain away and if someone was trying to communicate with me or get my attention they would have to work a little harder. Things changed after that. The lights that were turning off and on now were lights on a switch and not on a timer. We started finding the bathroom faucet on at times (a different type of faucet that is harder to turn off and on). The toilet seat started to be left in the up position which we never do (we have cats that like playing in there). The things that had first caught our attention stopped and these more difficult to explain away things started happening instead.

Our cats react to what is going on. I have seen my older cat get up on his hind legs and dance across the room like he is trying to grab onto something that is just out of his reach. Our younger cat (who is a lot more skittish) often gets freaked out and runs away from something while the older cat goes toward the area they were looking at and acts like he is greeting a friend. When we adopted our youngest cat we were keeping her segregated in our bathroom and the light went on by itself. She freaked out. I got mad and yelled at the "ghost" that they were scaring the baby and I would not have that. For about 4 weeks everything was very quiet and nothing happened but then slowly things resumed.

One day I was in the bedroom with both cats and it sounded like our front door opened. I was so convinced that it did that I called out to my husband asking him what he was doing home so early. Both cats ran toward the front door as they usually do to say "Hi" to my husband when he gets home from work. I heard the sound of footsteps coming down the hall but when they passed the bedroom door no one was there. The younger cat freaked out, ran to me, and jumped in my arms. The older cat followed the sound of the footsteps into the kitchen where they just stopped.

Sometimes I think the ghost has a bit of a sense of humor. I was watching a DVD of the show Ghost Hunters and there was a crash in the kitchen and pans were thrown off the stove. Both cats were laying on me at the time which eliminated the most obvious cause. It scared the heck out of me since I was watching a tense episode! Then, after I settled in again the water in the bathroom started turning itself off and on.

Probably the weirdest thing that has happened is hearing someone say "Hello. Hello" when no one else was around. I was packing to go on a trip and had dragged my suitcase into our entry way. The youngest cat was riding on the suitcase. I turned towards our living room where I distinctly heard a voice say "Hello. Hello..." It sounded like a male voice. The voice had an odd, flat quality to it. Every hair on my body stood on end. The cat also heard it because every hair on her body also stood on end and she jumped into my arms and tried to crawl into my shirt. I said "Hello" back and asked if there is anything I could do to help them get to the other side and asked if they were here to tell me something but there was no response.

I could go on and on about the little things that have convinced me that someone else is here. I have had a few other things happen in my adult life that were odd, mostly in connection with my Mom's death but for some reason I don't feel this is my Mom. I don't feel scared at all and do not feel that this ghost or spirit is malicious in any way. I have come to believe that they want to communicate with me for a reason other than to let me know they are here. I just don't know what or why but when the time comes I hope I am paying attention.

Other hauntings by BabyBoo

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BabyBoo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Haunted_cleaner (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-27)
Awesome Stories,
I can really relate. I will enjoy hearing more.
Kurotorachan (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
it seems to me you had a friendly spirit that just didn't feel like moving on or couldn't and was making the best of it. You seem a bit lucky, I think, since my spiritual encounters are usually warnings or... Scoldings. Its rather sad to be lectored by a spirit. 😁
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I had a similar thing happen in a new construction home in Atlanta in 1992, when I was 8-months pregnant with my first child. My husband had been called away on a family emergency (his grandfather was dying), and I was watching a show on ghosts. I won't go into detail about the experience, but had some questions. Does anyone believe that it is possible that these shows are creating portals? If so, is it possible that the internet does, as well?
Lisa 😨
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-09)
Thanks for the update, BabyBoo. I am wondering if the reason for your almost being afraid to do another recording is because you have become comfortable with your roommate. Honestly, that is ok. There are plenty of people who share a "living space" with beings without disruption or any real problems. I have heard of people "making deals" so to speak with their guest (Uh, like, I will not banish you from my home if you do not scare my children or any other guest in my home) and of the two families that I know of, this works out perfectly for them. Just do whatever you feel is right. If you are uncomfortable with something, then it is not the correct path for you. Thanks again.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-09)
The recordings started a couple of days worth of activity and now nothing. Things have been completely and totally quiet.

Thought I should also mention that we've taken multiple photographs in the condo but we've never had a single stray orb or questionable image.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-07)
I just recently tried to do the recordings. After I posted my story things seemed very active** so it seemed like a good time to try. A friend helped me. Unfortunately we only had a micro cassette recorder and not a digital recorder but we did have unused tape. We asked a series of questions:

Is someone here?
Who are you?
Is there something I can do for you?
Do you live here?
How old are you?

The first time we asked the questions we got no results at all. We decided we were not leaving enough time between the questions so we asked them again. This time when we asked the questions there was sort of a build up of static when we asked "who are you" and "do you live here..." It is hard to describe but the static started out softly, built in intensity, and then ended. After repeatedly listening we can't make anything out of it. There is no voice or anything that seems like a intelligible response to the questions.

We were encouraged by the static, though. We figured that it might take some time and that it probably takes a lot of energy if someone WAS trying to communicate so we waited about 30 minutes and then tried again. Disappointingly there was no response at all, not even static.

The next few days were very active with the toilet seats going up and the lights being turned on and then it calmed down.

It may be a while before I get a chance to try again. I may see if I can get my hands on a digital voice recorder and that may help eliminate the question if the static was anything other than noise on the tape.

Funny, I am almost afraid to try again. As I have said I feel in no way threatened by my unseen roommate and even though things seemed very active after my first try it hasn't been anything malicious or even very scary but I feel reluctant to try again and I don't really know why.

BabyBoo

**Probably the best example of escalated activity right after I posted my story: We're a couple of night owls and went to bed about 2 AM. The last thing we always do before going to bed is to check that the cats are not locked in our closet and then shut the closet door so they cannot get in there overnight. I distinctly remember doing this and that the closet was in good shape with no clothes on the floor. The next morning my husband got up and opened the closet door to get something to wear. I heard him say "Huh?" in an alarmed manner. When I went to see what the problem was I was shocked to find that some plastic containers that had been in the closet had been overturned and emptied of their contents. On closer inspection I saw that some shoe boxes that had been on a shelf had also been knocked off and the contents scattered around the closet. My first thought would have been to blame the cats but the door and been shut tightly all night and it would have been impossible for them to get in. They were not in the closet when my husband opened the door which means they were not in the closet overnight. The door was firmly closed when my husband went to get his clothes that morning. 😕
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Did you get to try the recordings? I am curious as to how that all came out. Post! Post! Post! Thanks for your story.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Prettiest Girl, I think the cats reacting differently is just their personalities. The older one is a veteran of a couple of moves, was raised by a dog, and very little worries him. The younger cat was from a feral Mom and lived her first 7 weeks under a porch in the middle of winter and actually fainted the first time she saw a garbage truck. She is getting more secure and less jumpy as she gets older but I think her motto will always be "run first, investigate later" unless it involves food.

Emma, your goat story had me laughing hysterically! Thanks! 😆
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
Something frightening also happened to me recently while watch a Ghost Hunters marathon. My senses were heightened from the start, thanks to the show. Sometime after the third or fourth episode, after 10 PM, I heard a noise outside my front deck. Thinking it could be just a neighborhood cat playing around, I dismissed it. But after a few moments, the noise because several noises and before I knew it, it sounded like there was a train crossing just outside my front door. It scared the hell outta me because I live out of the city limits and my property is completely fenced so if there was someone out there, it was definately trespassing and up to no good. I was too scared to open the front door to take a look. I decided to sneak into my son's bedroom and peak out of his window which gave me a good view of the front deck. To my surprise, my five goats had escaped their pen and made their way up my front deck and were horsing around when they should have been sleeping. Ha ha ha. Better goats than ghosts I always say!
Prettiest_Girl_in_the_Morgue (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
Great story! Its amazing that it doesn't really scare you... I'd be terrified... And I'd love to know why the cats react so differently... Though having had a cat myself I know their personalities differ as much as peoples do! Thanks for submitting! X
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
Hey BabyBoo, I guess you got your own credit for the title, but 'Ghostly Roommate' would have been pretty good (if I do say so myself!) but I'm glad you got that straightened out. It was a great story, I really enjoyed it. As for your asking it to move on, once again I say - more attention! They can be demanding of the spotlight! Thanks for responding to all of the comments, you've been really straightforward and that's always appreciated! 😊
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Sorry all for the confusion, I reverted the title back to its original "Who Else Lives Here?". There was a bug in the submission process and all I got was "Who else" so obviously I tried to change it for something more meaningful.

Move along, nothing to see here 😉
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Bellissima, I have encouraged the spirit to move on and all I got for it was a little increased activity like someone was saying "Not Yet!" I then said if there was something I needed to do to help them I wasn't understanding what I should do and I hoped they would have patience with my ignorance but I needed more help and that resulted in more activity and then about a week later the "hello, hello" episode.

Shelby, I have also heard that you should be careful letting them know that they're dead so I have been trying to be sensitive about how I say things. I'll keep that in mind if we "talk" via EVP.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi All,

You might notice that the title of my story has been changed from "Harmless Poltergeist" to "Ghostly Roommate..." When I had originally submitted the story I had titled the story "Who Else "Lives" Here" but somehow I must have deleted part of the title and it only was submitted as "Who Else" which isn't very descriptive. One of the nice editors renamed so it made more sense and when I asked about it explained why. He nicely agreed to change it to what I thought more accurately reflected my feelings about what was going on. Credit goes to Bellissima for the new title because she described my visitor as a roommate and that is exactly how it feels sometime!

BabyBoo
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
BabyBoo, we must have posted our comments at exactly the same time! I couldn't see why everyone assumed it was a poltergeist, it didn't seem like it to me and you didn't say anything about it in your story. Then I looked back and saw the title, 'Harmless Poltergeist'. Hmm... I wonder what happened there, with the title change, I mean? Thanks for posting your reply, you've done some investigating, I see. I think with all of that history on the land, it'll be pretty tough pinpointing your troublemaker. Through EVP's you might be able to find out what, if anything, you might be able to help with. (Might work!) Do you have any feelings that your spirit is confused, not accepting their situation? Maybe you just need to tell them to move on, it's time to go, unless your feeling of being needed for some other reason compels you to let it be until you do get some type of message. Whatever you decide to do, please keep us posted. 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Babyboo, that's a good idea, doing the EVP's in your home. I bet you would catch a lot of things on it. I've heard to be careful on telling the person (ghost)that it died because they may not know it and it could affect them greatly in a bad way. I could be wrong about this but that is, I believe, what I've heard. Please keep us updated! 😊 ~Shelby ❤
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Shelby, I forgot to add (as if I didn't say enough already!) that I have thought about a Medium and am still considering it. I have also thought about buying a digital voice recorder and seeing if I could "talk" to the ghost using EVP since the ghost has already tried to communicate verbally.

BabyBoo
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi, BabyBoo. That sounds like a really interesting place to live. I would be frightened by the taps turning on and off and the crashing pots. I'm not sure about it being a poltergeist, though. To me it sounds a little calm for that. I don't know a whole lot about that subject but the few physical things that have happened at my house seem like a call for a little extra attention every now and then. I find the 'hellos' interesting. Have you ever tried to record the voices of any spirit in your apartment? That could be enlightening and really interesting. If you give it a try, could you keep us updated? I like your attitude about the whole thing. I'd really like to hear some more about what is happening and what you may find out about your 'room-mate'. Thanks for sharing your story. I really enjoyed it.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hello KimSouthO and Mustang,

Actually, I never said it was a Poltergeist and whoever posts the stories changed my title and added "Harmless Poltergeist" as the title. I don't think it is a Poltergeist because I tend to think of this as more of an intelligent haunting while I think of poltergeists as a little less... Directed.

As for being calm... There are some times that I have felt my heart racing a little 😆 but for the most part everything that the ghost as done has been pretty harmless more like trying to get my attention and not trying to scare me.

I do know a great deal about the history of where my new place sits. I don't want to post too much about it since it would be easy to trace where it is with too many details (D.C. Is a small place) and I would like to remain anonymous (the few people I have broached the subject of a haunting with looked like I was crazy) but I do now that the land has been occupied since before the civil war and that for about 70 years it was a private home, then used as an industrial space before being cleared of all the buildings and the current building being built on it. So the land itself has seen its share of births, deaths, happiness, and despair although no part of the original structure remains.

One thing that I was trying to convey in my story was the sense that the ghost is trying to communicate with me. I get a very strong sense for no logical reason that it has a message for me and that when the time is right it will be very important to drop all my doubts and disbelief and listen and act. I just have a "feeling" about this and freely admit I have no basis for this. I sometimes think that all of this was to draw me in and bring me along so when the time comes I will readily accept whatever happens and not waste time on doubt. In some ways this feeling is more weird than having the water turn on by itself!

Have a wonderful day!

Baby Boo
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Hi BabyBoo! If it is a 'poltergeist' and not a ghost, then Kim is right and it will go away after awhile, lying dormant, only to return again when it feels like it. In some instances it does sound like a 'poltergeist', like the kitchen incident. However, the rest of the activity, harmless activity, sounds like a ghost. I don't believe Poltergeists say, "Hello"! Since this is a new apartment, I would research the property's history. It definitely sounds like you have yourself a ghost that is trying to communicate with you. The flat sound of this male's voice is because he is in another dimension so it doesn't come through to us like a normal sound of a person. It seems like this ghost may need your help. Maybe you should bring a Medium to your home to help this ghost communicate his needs. Thanks for sharing your story. It was very interesting to read. ~Shelby ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
You are absolutely right, is certainly sounds like poltergeist activity. You remain so calm through out your story, I am impressed.

I have heard a theory that poltergeist activity usually will wind itself down in a few months, almost as if they get bored.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: