You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Touch

Real Ghost Stories

The Touch

 

I've written before about how I believe my condo is haunted. The ghost likes to turn water on, turn off and on lights, and in general do things that are never really scary but seem to be a way to say "Hey, I'm here too..." There have been a couple of incidents lately that have been unusual that I thought I would share.

My husband was playing a video game on line with a friend and, as usual, they were up really late. I was reading in bed with the overhead bedroom light on - still up around 3 am. I got up to go to the bathroom and I turned on the hall light in our bedroom on my way in. When I got back in bed I noticed I had turned off the bathroom light but left the hall light on. I was displeased with myself but I was so comfy in bed reading my book and snuggling with the cats I couldn't really force myself to get up and turn it off. I justified leaving it on by commenting to the cats that my husband may appreciate having the light on if he came in to use the bathroom (I talk to the cats a lot).

About 5 minutes later the hall light turned off all by itself and our bedroom light which is on a dimmer dimmed to 50%. I actually heard the hall light switch click. This was unusual in that I was actually in the line of sight of the light switch and heard it click.

The ghost has started a new behavior. I now often find the doors to our foyer closet and the laundry room open. The first night it happened we came home from going out to dinner and found those doors open. Puzzled, since we were sure we left them closed, we just wrote it off as forgetfulness. Later that evening We were watching a video and stopped it about 1/2 way through to get some snacks and we found the doors open again. This time we knew that we had left them closed and we shrugged it off as the ghost and once again closed the doors. At the end of the video, when we were on our way to bed, we found the doors wide open again. When I say wide open I mean they were extended as far as they would go. I know none of us (including the cats) had left the living room after our snack break but to be sure I have done a series of experiments with the cats. Even to get something they really want that is inside the laundry room or the closet they cannot open either door by pawing under it. Now this game of opening the doors is happening a couple of times a week. It actually makes me laugh a little when I find them open which I think is just encouraging him/her but it just seems so "in your face" that I can't help it.

The most unusual incident is the one attempt at physical contact that occurred two weeks ago. My husband was on a business trip and he is in the habit of calling me every night just before he goes to bed. I was reading in bed, waiting for his call, and was laying on my side. I suddenly felt a cool, hair ruffling breeze near my head and a tap, tap on my shoulder. I immediately turned over to look behind me but there was no one there. This was a very solid feeling tap, tap. Not hard or hurtful but just the sort of thing you would do to get someone's attention. The hair all over my body stood up on end. My first impulse was to run out into the condo hallway and bang on a friend's door! I fought very hard with myself not to panic or be visibly scared. I finally said out loud: I know you're here and I am pretty sure that you didn't mean to scare me but you did. Please don't do anything like that unless you have an urgent reason to get my attention. So far nothing like this has happened again.

I continue to ask the ghost if it needs help in any way but do not get any direct reply. Every once in a while I swear I hear my name being called when I am the only one here but when I reply I hear nothing else. This lead to one amusing incident when my sister-in-law heard my name come out of a turned off radio. I heard it too but I am so used to hearing - or at least thinking I hear - my name called that I just ignored it and didn't comment on it. She was floored that I was hearing voices so often that I just ignored them coming out of turned off appliances :-)

I also continue to gently encourage the ghost to move on to the next step of its journey but so far it seems to be content to stick around.

Other hauntings by BabyBoo

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BabyBoo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

tapper123416 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
I read the one about the ghost touching you in bed and it gave me the creeps so much I got a bunch of blankets to cover my window 😊
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
Wow this is a very scary story, my Mom had the same thing happen to her. She told me that when she was in the kitchen cooking some tamales, she was all alone and had sent me and my Dad to the store. While we were gone she felt somthing run right behind her while she was behind the stove and her hairs went up and her arms had goosebumps. (This was in the day time also).
My mom is not a wimp either so I really believed her.
GhostFollowerKate (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
Your a rly nice person talking to the "ghost" like that. Are you sure when the ghost said your name through the radio, that it wasn't just static?

xx
megankay (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
Wow, that's really nice that you are so kind to the ghost. Most people freak out, so that's probably why the ghost likes to show you that is there. I've had a couple of the same experiences, and that's really good that its a nice ghost (obviously).
😉 ~~Megan Kay~~ 😉
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
You must be a very kind person. (1) You love cats; and (2) you treat your unseen-visitor with such gentleness and acceptance. If I were stuck on this plane, I'd want to hang out at your place, too! Maybe Whoever-It-Is can sense your gentle nature and stops by for "a cup of kindness" once in a while. Hope you'll keep us up-to-date if your invisi-buddy stops by again!
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
I have had a simalier experince I have had things tap on my sholder at night. ANd also one time I heard someone call my name at night so I asked what I thought it was just one of my sisters asken me something but no one answerd



~~ Amy ~~
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-22)
An update. If you'll pardon the pun things have been undead around here. 😆 There has been no activity whatsoever since I decided to try to record some of the ghostly antics.

We've had times in the past where it has felt like the ghost had left. You can almost feel the absence. I'm not sure if that is the case now. Maybe he is just shy?

It has been very unusual to have nothing happen for days on end yet still feel like there is someone else here.

Figures I would get the one ghost who is camera shy. 😕

Baby Boo ❤
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-21)
You have talented writing! Thanks for sharing! I have been touched by a ghost back in Sept/Aug of last year. It is Frightening, but, at the same time, you now have something that other's don't ~ A weird, strange happening! I do like the part of how you are trying to get it to move on. That's great!
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
Hmmmm... Amuzing. Ya' know, it may be a lil' kid. Most likely not. Cause a lil' kid can't tap your shoulder, unless there tall, LOL. Do some research on the house, see what come's up. It may also (possibly) be a guardian angel of some what... Since it hasn't done anything yet. But usually they don' try to make contact, like tapping you. Maybe get some help to figure out what it is... Don't do anything that may upset it tho. Like trying to get it to leave by using like... Holy water or sumtin. Cause that CAN possibly make it mad.

~Gejro
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Not many people can say they have a resident "good" ghost so you maybe luckier than most. I agree with flutter it may be just a visiting one. Not someone stuck there. I too have cats and I don't know if they are as good as dogs about reacting to spirits but if they didn't freak out than chances are it's nothing threatening. Would be great to catch some evp's. Maybe if you make contact you can help this soul move forward to the Light. I guess if they don't really want to go they won't. They apparently have no conception of time or you think they would be glad to move on. Great story. Hope you get some answers and please share them us. Thanks.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Babyboo,
thanks for the history. Although I am sure you are right, and very little ground has remained un-touched, there still could be 'someone' or 'something' attahed to the area. We do not always know the reasons, but if there were burials there from the civil war era, I am certain there were battles there with individauls frought with emotion losing their lives there or near there. Also, with the houses or structures that came later, there may have been an attachment formed to the area.

I will say a prayer for them to cross over to peace with the Lord/ My suggestions is for you to do the same.

God Bless!
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
whitebuffalo, we're thinking along the same lines. I've been thinking of setting up a video camera and seeing what I can get on tape.

I am also going to try the voice recorder again, Rhodes68.

It seems like from the time I first started noticing things happening (It has been almost 2 years now) until these latest occurrences that the activity of my ghostly friend has changed. It seems like he is stronger and doing more complex actions. It also seems like there will be lulls and the place seems emptier so I am wondering if he goes somewhere else for a time. Maybe he needs a vacation after living with us for a while? :-)

BabyBoo ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Yes, Whitebuffalo has a point here. The static is very likely a failed attempt to communicate with you. How frustrating!

Do what she suggests but also try to get hold of a digital recorder which will allow you to proccess the noise or voice better.

I'll be looking forward to read about anything new you've got.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
It seems like you have a pretty good handle on things there, BabyBoo.
You are doing recordings, as well as offering suggestions to the ghost in your home. How discouraging to not be able to know who he is.
May I offer another suggestion that I did not see anyone post for you yet? How about a video recorder? If you know that the doors will open, it might be a good idea to set up a video recorder to catch whatever it is that you can.
I would think that if ghosts need energy to materialize, and that sometimes they do not have enough to FULLY materialize and come as a shadow, then perhaps their VOICES also need energy to manifest. So perhaps, even though you could not make out any bit of words, maybe the static was him TRYING to get through.
Keep trying. I would say that your chances seem pretty good at obtaining some proof there. He listened when you explained that he had frightened you, and stopped. That is a really good sign.
Thank you.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Just a note on trying to catch something on a tape recorder. This is what happened when I tired it a few months ago:

I just recently tried to do the recordings. After I posted my story things seemed very active so it seemed like a good time to try. A friend helped me. Unfortunately we only had a micro cassette recorder and not a digital recorder but we did have unused tape. We asked a series of questions:

Is someone here?
Who are you?
Is there something I can do for you?
Do you live here?
How old are you?

The first time we asked the questions we got no results at all. We decided we were not leaving enough time between the questions so we asked them again. This time when we asked the questions there was sort of a build up of static when we asked "who are you" and "do you live here..." It is hard to describe but the static started out softly, built in intensity, and then ended. After repeatedly listening we can't make anything out of it. There is no voice or anything that seems like a intelligible response to the questions.

We were encouraged by the static, though. We figured that it might take some time and that it probably takes a lot of energy if someone WAS trying to communicate so we waited about 30 minutes and then tried again. Disappointingly there was no response at all, not even static.

The next few days were very active with the toilet seats going up and the lights being turned on and then it calmed down.

It may be a while before I get a chance to try again. I may see if I can get my hands on a digital voice recorder and that may help eliminate the question if the static was anything other than noise on the tape.

Funny, I am almost afraid to try again. As I have said I feel in no way threatened by my unseen roommate and even though things seemed very active after my first try it hasn't been anything malicious or even very scary but I feel reluctant to try again and I don't really know why.

:::

I think the reason I was reluctant to try again at that point is that hearing something on the tape would be 100% proof that someone else was here. At that point there was still a small chance in my mind that maybe this was all my imagination or a problem with the building. Since that time I have come to the full realization that there is not a rational explanation forwhat goes on here and I accept it fully. So now I think maybe it is time to try again.

Baby Boo ❤
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Chelleck, I only ever thought there was one spirit and for some reason I thought it was male but I don't really have anything to base that on.

KimSouthO, My building is new. No one died here during construction. I do know something about the site that my building now occupies. The land has had some kind of structure on it since before the American Civil War. For many years it was a home, after that it was an industrial site, and then my home. I did find out a few months ago that at one point there were civil war era grave sites on the land and that the graves were moved to consecrated ground and given a burial ceremony. This was done out of compassion and with the best intentions not out of greed to build on the land or anything. It has crossed my mind that someone was left behind or missed but there has been so little ground that remained undisturbed during the construction projects on this site over the last 100 years or so. I can't see how they would have remained undiscovered. This is a very urban area with little green space and if someone was left behind there is probably a building or structure on top of them now.

Baby Boo ❤
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
What an amusing story.

Do you know if you can tell if this is the same sprirt or if there are more than one?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Babyboo,
Thank you fir sharing your story.

I am certain you and the others commenting are correct, 'it' wants and needs to get your attention. As 'it' has become bolder by physicaly tapping you, maybe there is something that is needed for 'it' to cross over, but 'it' has not found out a way to let you know what that is as of yet.

I am not sure how you feel about this, please take it as only a suggestion to do with what you will.

You could try turning on a tape recorder, as questions and wait to see if you receive responses. You may not hear anything during your questions being asked, you may not hear anything until the play back.

Do you have ant history on the condo and/or the building.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Wow great story BAbyBoo. I think there is a spirit in your home but a good one. Sounds like the spirit wants to get your attention. I wonder if the spirit needs something from you? I found this to be a very interesting story and there fdor sure is going to be another part of it. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
I feel this entity is just visiting you from time to time. Not there all the time. Perhaps wanting companionship. I don't feel any harm to you from this entity however. Tell the entity to go to the light, may help it to stay over where it should be. Sometimes it don't help. But worth a try at least. Good story.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Thanks for commenting on my story.

Rhodes68, I agree this is a non threatening situation. In the comments section in my first story I told of how I sat down with a tape recorder one evening and asked the spirit what I could do to help but I didn't get a reply. I keep asking for some guidance from the spirit of what I could do to help but haven't hit on anything.

I think your comment about crossing over and back is an interesting observation. Sometimes we go for weeks with nothing happening and our place feels...emptier. So maybe this is what is going on. I have also commented many times that I feel like the spirit is here to tell ME something and I need to pay attention but that is just a feeling I get.

khd, about laughing at the antics of my ghost... It never has really tried to scare me or act harmful towards me in any way and opening the doors is just one of those things that seems almost like a joke!

Baby Boo ❤
khd (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
very good babyboo why would you laugh I wouldn't laugh becauce you have some else that live in you house with you but it was good 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
Hi Babyboo and thank you for sharing your experience.

I found your story quite interesting mainly because of the nature of this spirit. It seems to want your attention and goes to different extents in order to aquire it but, when you told it it was frightening you it stepped back. It's pretty obvious you're not in a threatening situation as it seems to be a kind spirit but I see that it continues to try and attract your attention by calling out your name which in my book shows it has a request. It needs your assistance or it just wants companionship. Whichever it is, you're doing the right thing to try to help it cross. And yet, it is also true that some times, a spirit knows how to go to the light but willingly crosses from one side to the other, either because it's attached to the place or because it just enjoys the company. If I were you, I would kindly ask it if it needs my help. I don't perceive the situation you're in as dangerous and besides, it has already proved that it cares enough to not want to frighten you. If you get nothing out of it, kindly tell it to stop doing the things that scare you as well as others as in the case of your friend.

All my best wishes. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: