You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man By The Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Man By The Door

 

This is my first ghostly encounter that I have only let a few people know about. Although, I have tons more to tell that I have experienced myself throughout the years.

It was a Friday night, I think, and me, my sister, Amber, and my cousin, Mary didn't have school so, we decided to spend the weekend at my dads. He lived in a double wide trailer on the hill where I lived all my life and while I was growing up. My whole family has lived up here, but in different places and different houses. Also, a lot of my family members have died here and many of them I didn't know of. I was to little to know anything about them or who they were. Farther on this hill there is also and Indian burial ground. I go up there and look and read on them all the time. The years on them go all the way back to the 1800's.

Anyway, on this Friday night, all three of us were heading to bed just after we watched and movie and had a little bit of popcorn.

It was very hard to sleep considering we had to sleep on a twin size bed. That's hard to do with three people, even though we were small. It was very dark and quite, so we all managed to fall asleep.

It was about 2 or 3am I suppose and scarcely I was awaken but someone lightly saying my name, over and over again. It was Mary, and she asked me, "Do you see that?" I looked over at the door where there was a tiny light shining from the hallway. The light was coming from the bathroom beside the room we were sleeping in, so I could see outside of the room. The bedroom door was open all the way. Leaning against the doorway was, by my look, a 7 or 8ft tall broad man. It was all black and I could only see the outline of him. He was wearing a black rounded hat, a long black trench coat, and what sounded like cowboy boots. He was tapping his heel and had his arms crossed like he was watching us sleep. Amber wasn't awake at the time we saw this, so she didn't know about it at all. We were both so scared, so we just slowly turned back around and went to sleep. I don't know what he was, who he was, or why he was there. What or who we saw has never been answered and probably never will be. I am glad that whatever it was didn't do any harm.

Thank you for reading and tell me what you think.

Other hauntings by babysmooch

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, babysmooch, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Julie_W696 (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
I've been reading a lot of the stories here. There have been many that described a demon / shadowman that matches your description, EXCEPT it apparently has red eyes. This thing does just watch you sleep (at first - for nights, maybe months). However, if there were no red eyes, it might be something else.

I've seen a shadowman, but it was very different: no visible clothes or hair, very thin, gangly, and not interested in me at all until it/he noticed I was watching him.
babysmooch (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-17)
Yes. I was very scared of the fact that the man was standing there had not knowing who he was or why he was there. Honestly, in my head, it's blurry to me but I remember it like it was yesterday.

But the way I explained it, is the way that I remember experiencing it. I'm not making it sound like it was some kind of ghost, evil spirit or an entity of some kind.
To me, I just want to know if anyone has maybe seen or experienced something like this before, it was a little scary to me as a child and still scares me when I think about it.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-31)
I'm with Biblio - granted, I'd have been terribly frightened had I been in your position, no question but as I sit here calmly reading your story in my quiet bright safe living room, I don't get the feeling that he really meant you harm or even to scare you... I too get the feeling that he may have just been checking in on the kids during the night making sure all was well. Or perhaps he was a relative that passed that you didn't know of but he had known of you and wanted to see you.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-30)
Greetings, babysmooch, and welcome.

I know that you were scared, but I have a question to make sure that I've understood your fear correctly. Were you and your cousin frightened by the fact that the tall, dark entity was there, or did the entity seem to project a feeling of fear?

There's nothing wrong with fear, as it is a normal survival response to being surprised; however, if the presence seemed to be a source of terror, anger, panic, or hate, you'd describe it as an evil presence. You were both scared, but you both went back to sleep; I don't think you'd have done that if the entity was terrifying you on purpose.

What you saw may have been a guardian entity (even a protective deceased relative); it may simply have been passing through your home, rested there for a while, and decided to watch over you while you slept. If the entity had malicious or deviant intentions toward three girls in one small room, it would not have remained leaning against the doorpost of the bathroom. As for "why he was there," you may get 100 different responses (I've suggested four potential reasons, by my count) and they'd all be guesswork. My intuition is suggesting that he was just passing through, and was -perhaps- nostalgic for a time when he was a father of young girls, but I've got absolutely no evidence to support this line of thought; it's just the impression I get from the events as you've described them.

Best,
Biblio.
Dommy321 (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
I've seen shadows before it's really pretty scary. About three or four times it's happened now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: