You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Our Thanksgiving Guest

Real Ghost Stories

Our Thanksgiving Guest

 

On Thanksgiving this year, we decided to celebrate at home. We lost my Father-in-Law earlier this month to lung cancer, so we were not yet ready for the free for all that most of our family gatherings seem to become. We decided that we would hold Dad's Celebration of Life on this day, and did not want all the extra noise and hassle that a multitude of people can create.

We invited only my husband's aunt and her son, whom I will here out call Don. My husbands aunt had to work, so we were down to one guest, but that was fine. It was time for us to start our own traditions, but were not yet comfortable with the idea, and he was our buffer. Don brought along his new digital camera and three brand new memory chips. We were going to christen this camera properly.

All day long our four year old son ran around with his imaginary friends. He entertained, set three extra places at his table, ate with them and played in his room with them while impatiently awaiting the time for the Celebration of Life ceremony.

We chose Thanksgiving Day as we DO have so much to be thankful for. Thankful that he is no longer struggling for breath. Thankful that a walk to the mailbox no longer will cause us alarm. Thankful that he now has the opportunity to rekindle old friendships and possible a few friendly wars too. Thankful, also, that the Great Spirit rode up on His magnificent white steed and led him into the Land of Many Summers.

Periodically throughout the day Don would snap off photos of our children. His son had spent the holiday with his ex-wife, so he was feeling lost without him and filled the down time with our children. The traditional after turkey nap was replaced with photo shoots all over the house and yard. The kids loved it. Well, at one point the fifteen year old would have enjoyed a nap, but Don was not going to let that happen.

When it was time for the Celebration of Life we all headed outside. As Dad loved a good campfire we built a huge bonfire in our fire pit. I won't go into the details of the ceremony as it turned rather lengthy and soon the sun was setting. As we were privately saying our personal farewells to this man who graced our presence for too short a time, I looked over to where my son was playing by the fire pit. All I could do was watch him.

We all heard him say "Please don't go yet..." I caught my breath. I had been waiting for a visit from my Father-in-Law since his passing and I was waiting to hear my son say papa. He never did. Instead he reached up his arms and simply said "Hugs". That is his way of asking for a hug when his emotions overwhelm him and he is on the verge of tears.

I am not going to lie. I did not see a thing. I looked. Don, however saw the opportunity of a snapshot to rival JFK Jr's final salute to his Dad and took some photos. What we got was interesting. Near the top left hand corner, in a direct line from my son's up reached arms is a faint orb.

He seemed so happy. I do not know that this was his Papa's spirit who had come to join us on Thanksgiving. I do not know WHOSE spirit it may have been, or even if it was one. What I do know is the pure joy on the face of my son as he lowered his arms, turned his face forward and waved goodbye.

We had a few more interesting photos that day also. In one, a wisp of something can be seen immediately behind my daughters head. In another there is a type of fog (on an otherwise very clear night) over the love seat that used to be Dad's favorite outside chair.

I'd like to say that Dad joined us in his Celebration of Life, but the truth is, I do not know. What do these photos show?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Kirie toeleosou iston eona taergatonhironsou mipatridis. Miegatalipisme Kirie.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Hello whitebuffalo. "Happy New Year" to you and your family! Thank you for your kind words. That was nice of you. ~Shelby โค ๐Ÿ˜Š
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
For those of you who do not celebrate our New Year, I wish the same for you, too.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Hello everybody out there who is in the process of celebrating (or recuperating from celebrating) New Years.
May I extend this wish to you all?
May last years trials and tribulations remain a thing of the past and may this year bring you all of the comfort, love and good will that the future holds for the most fortunate of all souls. May the Great Spirit smile upon you and give you the understanding that is needed in your life and may Mother Earth bring you a bountiful New Year full of all the necessities of life. Bless you all.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Sorry I seem to have been neglecting our site here (I hope it is alright that I claim some kind of ownership here, I feel so comfortable at times...) things have been rather busy around here.
Thank you GhostTalker13. I am glad you enjoyed your time on my page.
Athena! Thank you, your support of me warms my heart and helps me carry on sometimes when I feel this huge pressure on me and can not figure out which way to turn THIS time. I know I can count on you to "give it to me straight". Thanks again.
Hi Haleybug. Thank you for commenting. It DOES help me, especially around these "first holidays without" to remember that Dad is always around. Even if I can not see him, it looks as if my children can. I tell you, knowing he still has my back is an uplifting feeling.
Thank you all.
haleybug (10 stories) (89 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
hi whitbuffalo ๐Ÿ˜.
i loved this one it is always nice to know that our loved ones still look out for us even from beyond. โค
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
Hi White Buffalo! You are an awesome human being and writer, you gave him an awesome farewell, despite the snow! The picture of the 'fog' over your daughter gave me shivers!
GhostTalker13 (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-16)
very nice story, the pictures prove a lot.

p.s Martin...(srry white buffalo if I'm intrudding but I need to ask) can you please come back please, I have had a lot of new ghost expirences and need to ask.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
Thanks again, Anna12. We have to wonder if there was something extra special going on between my father-in-law and my son. There were too many similarities between the two of them in my son's short life. He has been blessed with a knowledge that surpasses his age and I am honestly afraid for his future as he senses so much. Well, maybe anxious is a better word. I have no way to teach him how to harvest his talent, or even just to live with it. That is why I am here. Both of my children need help that I can not provide on my own.
That is where you all come in! Thank you.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
Oh, and also thank you for your response to my question. Happy Holidays!
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
What a wonderful story! ๐Ÿ˜ณI will have to agree with jwhitfi, this story brang tears to my eyes! It really shows how much love you had for your father-in-law and how he will always be with you and your family (especially for the holidays!). Your son seems to have been extremely close to his grandfather. Cute too to recieve hugs from beyond. Very heart-warming! Best of luck! ๐Ÿ˜Š
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
Hello again, jwhitfi. Thank you for your kind words. It is still difficult for me to know Dad is gone. I still catch myself getting up in the middle of the night and going in to check on him. It is just stuck in my head that it needs to be done, I guess, and I automatically take that walk only to be disappointed in the end.
Keep reading, there may be a couple more of these soon! Thanks again.
jwhitfi (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
WB I always like your stories. Your sincerity shines through in them. This story brought tears to my eyes, a hard feat! How much you cared for your late father-in-law really shows, and all the things you are greatful for this year! I do believe that your father in law was there to celebrate with you, and I think it's great that your son could see him and get "hugs" from him again! I also agree with you that your son is Intuitive not imaginative! I can't wait to read more stories about your son and his experiences!
Joelle
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
Welcome, Missamyboo 0806. So good to see new names and people here. I am glad you could identify with this story. I am sorry for the loss of your sister, sounds like there were a lot of angels at her Celebration.
Thank you Babyboo, it is a comfort to know that the end of our lives is not THE End, and I am truly blessed to have a loving family who enjoys visiting (I hope it is them and that they are enjoying it at least ๐Ÿ˜Š).
You know, now that I look at it closer, miiish, it COULD be either a heart or a diamond, couldn't it? It does strongly resemble a heart.
Thank you all for your comments and hope to see you share many more!
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
Hey whitebuffalo
Wouldnt you think that the diamond looks more like a heart ? Notice the curve at the top left corner... Id say its a HEART, like an I LOVE YOU heart โค.So sorry for your loss.

Yup saw it again ! Its a HEART...
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-07)
I really felt uplifted by your story. It is so comforting to know that when we pass it isn't really the end and good bye doesn't have to be forever!

BabyBoo
Missamyboo0806 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
I love this story so sweet it is. We lost my sister on the 4th of july 4 years ago now. The first year after her death we also did a celebration of life with just family, which in my case is no small feat as there are six of us siblings and all married with children. Well we all released ballons after saying a quick I love and miss you to her. We snapped pictures quite a bit at this gathering. There is a picture of my mother and another one of my sisters after we had released the balloons. They are both looking up into the sky the ballons far gone at this time. Well the first picture taken is clear as a bell and then the next picture about 30 seconds later is flooded with lights and orbs surronding my mother and my sis. Mind you there was nothing going on at this time no fireworks no wind nothing as it was still daylight. Sorry to drag this out in a comment your story just reminded me so much of this. Oh yeah I'm new here so howdy everyone. ๐Ÿ˜Š
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-03)
Thank you Anna12, for your comment and question. If you put the second picture where the first picture is, add a shed and an ice house, then put the first picture where the second one is, leaving the third picture where it is, that is the layout of our back yard. The fire pit is approximately twenty foot away from the shed. Next in line is our ice house. Walk another fifteen to twenty feet and you hit the porch (the grill that can be seen in the first photo with the "little wisp" actually sits in the middle, but on the edge of the porch). This outdoor love seat is at the opposite end of the porch.
At the time of that photo, the bonfire was no longer even smoldering. Even in full blaze, we do not usually get the smoke to travel that far. The smell, yes. Of course, we did not take a photo of the fire pit at this time, as the fire was out, so I have no proof of that fact.
Anything is a possibility, though. That is why I asked for other person's opinions. Thank you for yours too!
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
On the third picture to the right, would the "fog" be smoke from your firepit? It's possible. Your other pictures prove the presence of a Spirit. Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ˜‰
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
Welcome, FUNNYLAUGH, don't think I've seen you around here. Hope you like our little site (not so little anymore, though.) Thank you for the comment on my story, if you think the little boy has a vivid imagination, you should check out "A Four Year Olds Tale". I'm leaning towards intuitive however, and not imaginative. ๐Ÿ˜Š
FUNNYLAUGH (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
its probably because your father-in-law wants to be there to see you one last time.
Hes only being friendly. This often happens when someone close dies. The little boy in your story has a very vivid imagination.
A secret will lay beyond the father and son.
the father will only want to see his son!
Dont go near the little boy when he is doing what he is doing. โค ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-30)
Thank you all for your comments. We ended up with about two inches of snow on Thanksgiving, but it was just about gone when morning arrived. I thought that was fitting also, as Dad enjoyed winter. In the photo that you can see the charcoal bag in... The big "wisp" (I'm sorry, I do not know what to call it) has a diamond like shape in what appears to be the center. Does anyone know if this is common in these types of photo's?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Hello whitebuffalo. Well you did have a Celebration of Life and it would have been very rude if the guest of honor didn`t show up. I believe he did. God bless you all.

Be Safe and God Bless ๐Ÿ˜Š
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
You seem to have evidence that your family member was in your presence at that time. The energy of you believing is great. And ('The innocent will see thru' ~ I'd say you understand that.) ๐Ÿ˜Š
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Whitebuffalo,
First, let me extend my sympathy to you and your family. How appropriatte, a Celebration of Life! That is wonderful!

Even if the pictures are explain (I doubt they are) I would say that your father-in-law was with all of you on this wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

God Bless! โค
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Hi whitebuffalo. I believe your father in law was with your family. My mistake. I am sure that he was with you. The photos were great and that shood be of some help. Being religous is a good thing. WE can see more and feel more. It gives life a meaning. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
whitebuffalo, hi. What a lovely Thanksgiving your family had. It looks like you had snow, I seem to see that in pics 1 and 3 but just the one orb in pic 2 makes me wonder... The photo of your daughter... Shane says possibly exhalation of breath but, if so, it's an awful lot of breath. That one is the most interesting to me. I like it a lot. Your family is very spiritual and I can't see why your Father-in-Law wouldn't try to make a special guest appearance! Thanks for sharing your story, pics and personal life with us.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
Whitebuffalo thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. Not to be a downer or anything, but wisp in this case could have been caused by the exhaling of breath. Not the only explaination, but a plausable one. I very much enjoyed your story and look forward to hearing more from you.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: