You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Pinned Down in Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Pinned Down in Bed

 

For the past three nights I have been experiencing this pinning down and it is really starting to scare me. The first time it happened was Friday morning at about 6.15am, just before I was about to get up.

My dog had woken me, at about 5.30am, barking to be let out of the kitchen so that she could come upstairs (which she does from time to time, but hadn't done for a while) I went back to bed and was laying on my back, all of a sudden I felt as though someone was laying on top of me or the duvet was being stretched down evenly over me, I couldn't move or speak. I managed to cough quietly and the pressure lifted, almost instantly. I laid there too scared to move for about ten minutes, then reached for my mobile phone to see what the time was and it felt as though someone kicked the end of my bed. I leapt from bed and put the light on and ran downstairs.

The next night I had the same feeling of the pressure about 4 separate times, but couldn't be sure whether I was dreaming it or not, so didn't get too worried.

Last night however I woke at about 4.48am and put my light on rolled over, turned the light back off and went back to sleep. At 5.19am I woke to this pressure again (it was just on the top half of my back this time, I was laying on my front) and I was fighting for my breath as I woke. I managed to switch my bed side lamp on (I had gone to sleep with the switch in my hand) seconds after the light went on the pressure lifted.

I laid there for a few minutes, with the light on, but started to feel really un-easy. I went downstairs to sleep in the living room with our dog for a couple of hours, with no interference, then decided to go back to bed (with the curtains open as daylight was breaking). I was woken at about 8.00am by the pressure again which seemed to keep varying in strength from the strongest I had felt to barely anything, then it got stronger, then weaker, stronger again and then lifted all together.

I'm feeling really apprehensive about going to bed tonight and would appreciate any advice.

Also I took a photo in my room last night and could see two very feint circles of light, I don't know if there is any connection here.

We have lived in this house all of my life, I am 24. There hasn't really been anything like this before, although my sister did think she saw a dark shadow watching over her one night, but she only experienced this once about two years ago.

I have had the occasional nightmare in the past and woken all sweaty and breathing heavily, but always assumed that was pretty normal.

I'm really into rock and metal music and I do like horror films. I had been to a gig of a gothic metal band two nights before the first experience. Does anyone think there could be any connection to this perhaps? Have I somehow attracted whatever is causing these experiences with the music I listen to?

I do get scared that 'it' may win, so to speak, it is getting quite persistent.

My mum has had strange experiences when she was around the age I am now, but not the same sort of thing.

Please help if you can.

P.S. My parents never got around to getting me christened as I was the fourth child, my older siblings were all christened.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, woodlandsend, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

PestedForFun (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
😕
No updates since 08? Bummer.
As this is the random experience for me, I guess you won't respond... Did you use lavender incense?
givemeaname (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
kinda scary I'm glad I haven't experienced anything like that but if it really is bothering you maybe see if there is someway to get this 'presence' to leave
WaterxBlessings (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-17)
Everyone has the same story, so I'll just explain with a paste of what I said before.
If you want to know more, o feel like alking about this some more, send me an E-mail to Mrs.Lovett2336 [at] yahoo.com (because I just started this to explain what everyone is missing.)
Hey, I really hope you read this. I'm not very old, but have read many things on ghosts. I'm still confuzed of my own ghosts meanings, but yours may not be a ghost. It very well could be a state of Luicid dreaming. It seems unliklet because you don;t recall falling asleep, but that's a reason why it's posable. I had the same problem, thinking it was a ghost then cam across nothing, but about Lucid dreaming and others making the same mistake. The reason you can't move or speak is because you are about to fall asleep and your brain doesn't really reach your body. The muffled moans are for the same reason. The first tie it happened to me I freaked, and tried to scream for help. I thought it was pinning me down gripping my wrists. Freaking out is a very bad thing, since your going to a dream state, your mind can create what's not really there. For a very long time my brother had fallen for the same trick and a dark ghost girl fiqure appeared at his beds end. I saw an arm crawling across the floor. My brotherwould pray in his mind, beleving this would free him, it managed to work.
You can take advantage of your state by closing your eyes and (my brothers way, you may find it easier differently) imaging pictures, pull youself into one. Now you will be Lucid dreaming (aware of dreaming) and can contral everything around you (as long as you believe so 100%, this explains why I saw things and felt something touching my wrists).
This is most likely what occuring, but the chances of a ghost doing it as well are still possable.
Adventure_Ms_Aqua (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Try sleeping on your side. There would be a less of a chance...

Also, relax before bed, and don't go to bed angry. Try meditating. Hint: It helps to imagine relaxation flowing through your body; starting from your head, to your toes.

Yes, and like everyone else said, it's sleep paralysis.

~Peace!
Nightgoddess (14 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-16)
What ever people say, its not because of the music. Trust me, I would be gone if that were true. I wish I could help more
Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Your experience seems interesting, maybe you should do what the others are commenting. But have you tried to sleep somewhere else just too check? Maybe sleep with your head on the other side of the bed? I don't know, maybe you should ask someone for tips and such.
I hope it stops and that you'll get a good nights sleep.

- Raymon
woodlandsend (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Have had a few more of these experiences since my last post and just put them down to sleep paralysis.

This morning however I had another at about 6.20 am. I had woken up at about 4.30am and didn't get back to sleep properly just kept dozing off and waking back up almost straight away.

I was laying on my side this time and it was one of the strongest forces (if not the strongest) I have experienced.

Since my first experience I have slept with the chord of my bedside lamp tucked under my pillow so I pulled the switch into my hand and switched the light on, but the pressure didn't seem to lift until I shook my head a couple of times.

Could this still be sleep paralysis? Cosidering I was laying on my side.

Also on Christmas morning I woke up with just my head feeling like it was being held down against the pillow. I was laying on my back that time.
woodlandsend (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
Thank you all for your comments. I hope you are all correct. I haven't had another experience like this yet, so maybe I won't again, with a bit of luck, as either way it is not a pleasant experience.

Thanks again

All the best

Richard
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-19)
Hi Woodlandsend. I, too, would have to agree that it sounds like Sleep Paralysis. It would, however, be a good idea to burn the lavender incense in your bedroom before you go to sleep. Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
I agree with all of the posts, woodlandsend. Personally I try to burn a lavender incense every night just before bedtime, or while I am getting ready for sleep. I find that it not only calms the stresses of the day, but it is a pleasing scent too. Thank you for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
I would tend to agree with Shane and Frawin. Even if it is sleep paralysis,however, burning the lavender incense if very relaxing, it helps you to create a restful peace within yourself.

God Bless!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
I would tend to agree with Shane and Frawin. Even if it is sleep paralysis,however, burning the lavender incense if very relaxing, it helps you to create a restful peace within yourself.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
I would also agree with Frawin. It does sound a lot like sleep paralysis. If you continue to have the problem try burning lavander incense before going to sleep and see if this helps. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-18)
Hi woodlandsend. I agree with FRAWIN. Since nothing has happened before (your sister saw a shadow but only the one time, it's hard to say about that), I wonder if you're going through some type of unusual stress, something out of the ordinary. Thanks for sharing your story.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-17)
Hi Woodlandsend, personally I don`t think you have anything to worry about, it sounds like Sleep Paralysis to me. I used to have them all the time, up until I was in my late thirties. I noticed with me they always happened when I slept on my back, try sleeping on your side. I have been sleeping on my side since I was about fourty and I`ve not had one since.

FRAWIN 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: