You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Alone With A Poltergeist

Real Ghost Stories

Alone With A Poltergeist

 

This experience[s] happened to me when I was at home by myself. My parents and siblings had gone out of town for the day to visit family and to check on our second property that's about 2 hours away from our home. They wouldn't be back until about 11:00 that night. I was 16, home alone on a Friday night. My mom had bought me snacks, soda and left money for pizza, I had a new video game AND Monday was a holiday! Yeah, life was good!

At around 7:00 I had just ordered my pizza and was in the kitchen pouring a glass of that wonderful Mtn Dew Code Red. I poured my drink and closed the fridge. As I was walking back to the living room I heard the sink in the bathroom that is right next to our kitchen turn on. I froze.

When I turned to look, I saw that the bathroom light was also on and against my better judgement I went to inspect. Upon walking in, I saw both of the faucets (hot and cold) were turned fully on, water pouring into the sink. I wasn't as much scared as I was just...confused. Shaking it off, I turned the water and light off and went to the living room to wait for pizza.

About 8:30, I was sitting in the living room watching Tv and hating my life because I'd eaten my entire large pizza in about 11 minutes, when I heard a crashing sound come from our computer room. I jump up, heart racing and run to look. It turned out that some boxes that were stacked in a corner had fallen and were now strewn across the room.

Naturally, I just assumed that they weren't stacked properly and just fell, so I re-stacked them and went back to watching Tv.

About 3 minutes later I hear another crashing sound come once more from our computer room. Those damn boxes... So I thought. I go back only to find that a stack of CDs that I had sitting at the BACK of a shelf had been thrown across the room. I guess that ghost didn't much care for Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold and Seether. But seriously, this time I got really creeped out.

I decided to shut myself in my room with the lights on and wait for my family to get home. But that ghost wasn't done with me yet.

For context, my older sister's room was next to mine, so we shared a wall. We've always been close, so it was common for her to knock on the wall with three sharp raps to tell me to come see her for something. You may see where this is going.

I was laying in my bed playing my PSP (PlayStation Portable) when suddenly I hear three sharp raps on my wall. Not really thinking, I naturally get up to go see what my sister wanted. As I open my door it hit me she wasn't there. But I knew what I heard. It all made sense to me now! She hadn't gone with our parents, she'd stayed home and was messing with me. Her door was shut so I flung it open to get on to her for messing with me. She wasn't there.

Logically, I'd assumed that she'd just left her room and shut the door. The thing is her door had always had a problem sticking and as such made a loud noise when opened.

If she was there I would have heard the door open and even close because it's one of those doors that even when you're trying to quietly shut will make loud noises.

Regardless, I decided to check the entire house. The house is only a 3 bed 2 bath and was built in 1918. So pretty small by today's standards. I checked every room and closet. Even comically looked in the cabinets and washing machine. Finding nothing, I go back to my room until I hear my family coming in.

First thing my mom asks me was "how was it being home alone for so long?"

I say, "creepy".

Of course she thinks it was because it was so quiet and I had no one to talk to.

I tell her "No, I mean like weird stuff happening"

Her: "What kind of stuff?"

Me: "Well, the bathroom light and sink turned on by themselves. "

It shocked me when she got upset and told me to shut up.

Her exact words were "Don't even! Don't even say that! It was years ago that stuff was happening and I sure as hell don't need it to start again!"

This was one of the most profound experiences I've had in that house. But there are plenty more.

Other hauntings by ScareTale

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ScareTale, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ryanlesner111 (9 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-09-23)
As someone who has been invited to many haunted homes in order to get my opinion of the events.
I have encountered a sexually interactive ghost, a banging sound ghost
And a stealing keys ghost.
All of these ghost were linked to objects.
The sex ghost was linked to crystal.
The banging on the wall ghost was linked to a rug.
The stealing ghost was linked to a murder weapon.
So if you can't remember where something came from ask about it.
That family handed down blanket may have been through the washing
machine after spite full angry great grandma was covered up with
when she died in her sleep. Any object in your home or hidden in
A wall could be linked to a ghost. If the ghost is linked to the
Home itself because a floor board is soaked with blood
And concealed with thick carpet.
You can use a simple to obtain technology against a ghost.
Ghost are made of a decaying electromagnetic energy.
Lasers generate electromagnetic radiation.
So yes you can use green lasers against ghost.
It is pretty much like a punch to the face for a ghost.
Alenasiouxlee (4 posts)
-2
3 years ago (2021-07-03)
Hello ScareTale,
I enjoyed reading your story; however, I'm unsure which was more frightening, the poltergeist activity or your mom getting upset by the experience. At any rate your experience should have been met with concern not anger. I'm sorry she treated you that way but from my experience evil spirits are attracted to emotions of the varying kind within homes.
ScareTale (8 stories) (14 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-14)
LFrogs1386 and lady-glow,

I do believe there is a portal of some kind. I'm not sure if this is a natural phenomenon or what, but we have a field right through the woods that has always had a cold spot. I first discovered it years ago during mid-summer. The spot is approximately 3 feet in diameter and is so cold you can see your breath when standing in it. If anyone knows any thing natural that may cause this please let me know.
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-06-12)
It sure does sound like some kind of a portal was opened in your home if you're seeing different spirits come through and then never to be seen again.

That is a fascinating subject to me. What are these portals for? Just for the Dead to pass on to another life? Or heaven or whatever religion dictates the afterlife should be? And why are there portals in some places and not others?

I am very much looking forward to your next story!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-11)
Just my two cents.
Would it be possible that there's a portal somewhere in your house and the disturbances are the transient spirits passing by?
ScareTale (8 stories) (14 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-11)
Hey Valkricry and Arose,
I agree with both of you, I believe that spirits don't have to confine themselves to just the location they died. I only brought up that no one had died in the house in response to Rajine's wandering about all the people that could've passed on in the house through out its long history.
That said, as I mentioned to Rajine my great grandfather fought in World War 1 and we still have the jacket of his uniform that still has blood stains from fallen soldiers on it. I'm not entirely sure but a part of me believes that maybe that could be a reason for some (definitely not all) of the the happenings in the home.
I've been of the opinion for years that the home may be a kind of way station of sorts for departing spirits because we constantly have new apparitions appear only to never see them again, and that's been going on for years.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-11)
I'm with Aros on this. I don't believe that a spirit must have perished in a particular place to haunt/visit it. There are many stories that deal with people who died on foreign soil 'coming home',
As well as others who died elsewhere other than the house.
I also think that sometimes a passing spirit just gets 'curious' and stops in from time to time.
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-10)
Hi there ScareTale,

My first instinct was "Hmmm, 16-year-old home alone." That's a nice recipe for poltergeist activity as I have come to learn teenagers make fine manifestations for that type of activity without realizing they are the cause.

But then you mentioned how old the house was and while nobody died there, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that a family member is trying to get your attention. I don't think a spirit has to pass in the house they grew up in to still have an attachment to the home. Anyhow, food for thought and thank you for sharing!
ScareTale (8 stories) (14 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-09)
Hey [at] Rajine
The house is full of spirits. My great grandfather actually built it by hand after he returned home from the first world war. My grand father, his brother and sister were all born in that house. Only 3 families have lived in it. First my great grandfather, then he rented it to a couple for 4 years before my dad moved in back in the 70s. No [human] deaths have occurred in the home. I actually just submitted a story my mom told me I could tell, in it I do leave a little history of the land it's built on. Hopefully it gets published.
Also in regards to my voice story, I've talked to my dad about it and he said the voice I described soundS like his grandfathers (my great grandfathers) voice
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-09)
Hi again ScareTale

This was creepier than your previous story that I read also gives me a bit more clarity since you say that your house was built in 1918, over a century ago, imagine how many people lived and passed on there, surely it could be an accumulation of spirits.

Again your mums response really intrigues me, because usually disbelieving people would just brush it off as an active imagination, whereas your mum seems like she definitely believes you but whatever she experienced has really disturbed her to the point where she won't talk about it or even acknowledge it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: