You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Scratching Symbols At My Door, Possibly Demonic?

Real Ghost Stories

Scratching Symbols At My Door, Possibly Demonic?

 

This happened to my family about a year ago but I can remember it very clearly. It was the first of several paranormal things that after a time just went away but this one, the first, is the one that I remember the clearest.

Anyway, my brother and I were in our room when we heard scratching on our closed door. Our dog was in the room with us and nobody else was home, so it couldn't have been anyone else in our family. Not only that but we also heard no footfall in the hallway. If it was an earthly person we should have heard them.

To describe it, this was not mere scratching. It sounded as if a sharp fingernail was tracing out a symbol, perhaps one with a circle, I distinctly remember a circle, it was near the bottom of the door but it seemed very detailed because the scratching went on for a long time. I wonder now (especially because of what my family saw later) whether it was of the demonic nature. But it went on for a long time and then it just stopped. I didn't know if I should investigate what made that noise or not. But we both heard it clear as day.

My brother and I were almost paralyzed with fear because until then, we had both been skeptics. For some time after that, other things happened. My brother saw a tall, dark figure standing over me and watching me, like a shadow person. Then he saw it run past the top of the stairs. My dad saw it in the living room and in the basement my sister saw a woman in a long white dress. My dog sat in my room very still and stared at nothing into a very specific corner of my room. From that very corner one night I felt a presence that was very evil. There haven't been any weird things for a while now, but I am not a skeptic anymore. My brother and I refer to this entity as "our ghost", but we never found out what it truly was.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MetallicGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

funeralmass (1 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
MetallicGirl, as someone that works with demons (usually one of the nine demonic kings, primarily King Paimon and Belial), I can tell you that 1). "Demons" (for lack of a better word, they are not evil, demonic beings in the Biblical sense, i.e. "fallen angels" that were naughty, fell from heaven, and are now Earth bound. They are simply entities, many of whom were worshiped as gods by various ancient, pagan religions before Christianity forced people to convert or die, and perverted the names of their gods, telling them their gods were now evil, demonic beings) normally have to be called, they don't just show up. It is often very hard to get them to show up at all. 2). There are dark, and/or chaotic entities that can mess with you but, again, they are normally called or invited. Sometimes entities may be "passing through" or were subconsciously called by dwelling on them, or by someone that doesn't know what they are doing messing with the occult. With the right conditions, a door may be opened and, since the person or people doing the activity see nothing, hear nothing, etc... They assume it didn't work and do not properly close up the ritual or whatever work they were doing, thus leaving the door open to anything.
As far as the scratching noises, I doubt an entity would trace it's sigil (a "symbol" looking thing which is the entity's name written in it's own language), since that is normally done by the practitioner as something to focus on to contact the entity they want. Do you know anyone that practices the occult who may have sent an entity to someone in your family because they were angry with them? Has anyone in your family ever played with occult, even a little bit? Maybe someone that lived there before you did that?
With all that said, I'm not sure if the experience was paranormal. Natural electromagnetic fields within the Earth can sometimes cause hallucinations (both visual and auditory), anxiety/feelings of dread, cold spots, and other classic signs of a haunting. Then again, such electromagnetic fields can provide the energy such entities need to feed on. Strong emotions also provide energy and the dark/chaotic entity quickly learns that fear is the easiest to cause, so that's what they use. Just my thoughts. Take care and let us know if anything else happens.
Goggzy (2 stories) (62 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-29)
Metallicgirl

I think everyone will agree if this was something demonic it would be a lot more physical and when something demonic is affecting you or doing anything you will never be able to debate wether it's demonic or not as someone who is dealing with something demonic trust me it's worse than you can ever imagine.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
MetallicGirl,

I too have questions about this scratching. I doubt very much that it was demonic. I was picturing a mouse gnawing on the door as you got all worked up thinking a demon has nothing better to than to scratch things in your door.

Red
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hi MetallicGirl

Thanks for sharing your story - very interesting.

But I have the same question as Rook, were there actual marks on the door? Or did you hear it? I'd have guessed there were actual marks, because as some of the comments already suggest, "hearing" the shape that nails are scratching, would need a ear very sensitive to sound.

But if you're willing to share, I'd love to hear more of these experiences of yours that came later on.

Regards
Spookie1
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hi Metallicgirl

Thanks for sharing. Personally that scratching, by itself and not in the context of these other experiences, could have been anything. At that time had you and your brother been watching scary movies or something? I ask because those movies can put your mind into a particular state whereby normal everyday noises and events (such as scratching) can suddenly seem "paranormal".
And there are no limits to the human imagination.

I find the other events far more compelling. How old is your brother? Is he psychic? If he's seeing these spirits, is it a recent thing? And your sister claims to have seen a ghost too? What about your parents? Have they experienced anything along these lines, or just you children?

I do wonder whether there possibly an aspect of collective (mass) hysteria here, whereby one event or one individual triggers a state of fear and panic and then nearby sympathetic people also claim to have experienced the same kind of thing.

If you could elaborate on those ghost sightings in the detail that you described the "circular" scratching (I assumed the hint was a pentagram etc) that would help the reader better understand your experiences and therefore possibly empathise with you more.

Regards

Mack
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Rook, Ladyglow, and babygoatpuller, the only possible explanation I can think of is if MetallicGirl heard the sound move around on the door. Not an easy feat to hear it move around such a relatively small space, imo.
pokemon_trainer (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hi MetallicGirl,

I find your story very interesting. I imagine that it was very frightening for you to hear those noises without an explanation at the time.

I'd be interested to hear in more detail your experiences with seeing figures of spirits; will you be posting more of your experiences?

Best wishes,

Pokรฉmon_trainer
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
LOL at lady-glow! Thanks for doing that. I have way too much time on my hands and didn't want to waste a second of it doing that. ๐Ÿ˜†
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Rookdygin: good question. I have spent the last five minutes tracing different geometric shapes on my door with my fingernails and all of them sound the same... ๐Ÿ˜

Anyway, I have better things to do.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
"To describe it, this was not mere scratching. It sounded as if a sharp fingernail was tracing out a symbol, perhaps one with a circle, I distinctly remember a circle, it was near the bottom of the door but it seemed very detailed because the scratching went on for a long time."

Ah...Ummm... ๐Ÿ˜•

Do you mean you saw the mark after hearing the scratching or do you literally mean 'it sounded like a circle was being scratched into the bottom corner of the bedroom door'? If that's the case how were you able to tell what shape was being 'scratched' just by the sound you heard?

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: