You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Paranormal Or Hallucination?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Or Hallucination?

 

For starters, I feel that it's important that I give a small synopsis on me and my past life before recounting this experience. I am 20 years young and a recovering addict - and have now been clean for over 15 months. I started using young and used a wide variety of substances but preferred indulging in opiates/benzos/dissociatives.

However, this experience happened in November last year in my flat in Notting Hill, London. (needless to say I was sober). I have since questioned myself incessantly whether or not it was in fact a mere hallucination and hence due to past drug abuse. Nonetheless, I will share this story and hope I can get some clarity on the matter.

As I said, this was in my flat in Notting Hill (Powis square to be precise if anyone is familiar with the area) and I got into bed hoping to get a good nights rest. It wasn't too late - perhaps around 1 am - and i'd only been under the duvet for approx. 5-10mn. It usually takes me around 30mn to eventually fall asleep and I recall not being particularly tired enough to do so; I say this because some people (who I've told this story to) say that it was sleep paralysis or something of that nature. I can assure you that it wasn't because I've experienced sleep paralysis on a number of occasions in the past.

Anyhow, I suddenly felt this sensation in my body - sort of like a rush of euphoria - but it is extremely hard to describe so please forgive for being so vague. The sensation starts from my feet and moves to the top of my head where I end up feeling in somewhat of a trance, confused... This bodily experience only lasts a couple of seconds but it is not the fist time I'd experienced it. Nevertheless, this lead me to sitting up on my bed and I opened my eyes in confusion where I saw a lady-like figure sitting at the end of my bed. She was there for a second and vanished. My room was dark and the woman was sitting with her back facing me thus not being able to see a face; she looked old, due to the long (and what seemed to be) grey hair. She was wearing some sort of silk dressing gown. The room was dark and I could only perceive her at a mere glance.

After seeing her I was slightly freaked out simply because it felt so real. But after a few minutes I felt surprisingly calm and went to bed rather peacefully. I've always been a believer in the supernatural but am no expert. I was just hoping whether some of the more knowledgeable folk on here could please shed some light and offer their opinion.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bytheriver, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bytheriver (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
Was pondering on which drug the euphoria may imitate and I think that k-holing (ketamine) is more accurate. It really is rather difficult to describe it!
bytheriver (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
Hello all,

Sorry for the late reply but nevertheless thank you all dearly for the kind and intriguing responses.

With regards to the euphoria, I'm not quite sure which drug it might mimic. Potentially coming up on ecstasy? But I haven't actually done ecstasy in approx 3 years so may not be totally accurate. This feeling is pretty indescribable but quite surreal; Bastet summed it up nicely.

This experience happened within my first year of recovery hence not exactly in a state of emotional well-being as I felt pretty rough most of the time 😁. So to answer Melda, i'm pretty certain I wasn't in that state of mind!

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time and getting back to me

Regards,

Max
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-04)
Hello bytheriver. Congratulations on being clean for 15 months!

I think the apparition means no harm (as what melda defined euphoria). The lady was just happy that you're turning your life around.

But witnessing the lady appear and vanish for the first time would really spook anyone.

Thanks for sharing!
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
-4
7 years ago (2017-06-28)
I feel that you had a event of Sleep Paralysis. But, the Sleep Paralysis did produce an erotic effect, which in similar conditions, experienced by others have been referred as a "Succubus Visitation".

Or, if you didn't have any typical conditions of Sleep paralysis and were able to move around in your bed/room, then an "Actual" visitation by a succubus shouldn't be overruled.

I know that euphoric feeling. It is addictive.
I have experienced real Succubus visitations and I wanted more of it, every night fantasizing the same scenario in my ind while trying to sleep, but I was saved by an alert cousin who was deep into paranormal and like, in whom I had confided about my experience. He got our parish priest to come home and bless the house, especially my room and prayed a lot for me, especially.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-06-27)
bytheriver,

CONGRATS on the 15 Months clean and sober.

Everyone is right in what they have said however there is a small part of me, the realist, that makes me hesitate to say this was indeed spiritual in nature. There are certain drugs that once ingested MAY (notice the big MAY) cause flashbacks, a re-experiencing of the effects of the drug WITHOUT actually taking it. Some of these CAN occur Months or possibly even years later.

While it may not be what happened it is a Real World possibility. Personally I like the idea of a loved one confirming you can feel that good WITHOUT the drugs. 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Greetings Bytheriver

Thanks for sharing this experience. I find it refreshing to hear about positive spiritual encounters.

My opinion on what you've experienced is this:

A deceased loved one, or possibly a resident spirit who cares about you, demonstrated that it's possible to feel euphoric sensations without the use of drugs.

There may have been an element of healing occurring as well. I have heard from several sources as well as from my own personal experience that some drugs can open up "doors" to spirit and often they are not "nice" doors and these open doors can attract spirits who were hopeless addicts when they passed over, and still desire the effects of the drugs.

When people are using drugs and in the extreme cases of addiction, it's difficult for guides and loved ones in spirit to make contact as the user has surrounded themselves in an atmosphere of heaviness and ill health.

Obviously this is all guessing, but maybe since you were "clean" it was possible / more easy for a caring benevolent soul to make contact and give you some real love and healing?

Regards

Mack
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
bytheriver - As far as I am aware when one experiences "euphoria" it is a sense of extreme well-being, happiness and excitement. Is that what you felt at the time?

The lady sitting at the end of your bed might have lived in your flat before, or could simply have been passing through. She could also be a relative who passed years ago, just dropping in to say hi and checking on how you were managing your addiction 😊

I cannot really speculate as to who this apparition was but those are just some thoughts.

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Hi, bytheriver.

Bastet may have beaten me to my question, answering it before I asked. 😊 How would you compare the feeling of euphoria you describe relative to any of your 'highs'?

Also, congratulations on working to be sober, and prayers and positive thoughts towards you that you stay such. ❤
Bastet (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Dear Bytheriver, I loved your story! I think I get what you mean by the sudden euphoric feelings. I experienced something similar few times; It felt like heat inside (but more a spiritual heat, not a bodily temperature, if that makes sense), like your soul is expanding... It is not quite like any feeling you can get from all types of *highs*. I felt it in a very unlikely situation - in my office, while finishing work (and I was going through unpleasant life situation too at this time). I assumed this could be my Spirit Guides contacting (but there was no visuals). I also was doing some guided Spirit Guide meditations before bedtime few days before - but I didn't assume they worked, as I'm not good with meditations, visualizations and such. But Guides probably doesn't need your meditation to contact you 😁!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: