You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Nurse

Real Ghost Stories

The Nurse

 

This story takes place, in NC on January 15th 2010, (the day after the birth of my youngest son) and to this day I am not really sure what I saw/experienced,

Let me start with saying this... The hospital where I gave birth at is considered to be haunted, and have had many reports of strange occurrences and happenings.

I was laying in the hospital bed watching random things on tv, I was alone in my room considering my husband had to work and would be back later that night.

As I layer there flipping through the channels I kept glancing towards the bathroom door, I'm not sure why but it gave me the creeps, I never truly felt alone in the room, and I could swear there was someone or something in that bathroom, as the time passed I started to get an uneasy feeling! I started feel dizzy and cold, and as if I could barely move.

As I rationalized with myself that the fever I had that morning had returned and I was also probably tired and needed to rest, I was just about to hit the call button and ask for more blankets (by this time I was shivering) when I heard The door opening, thinking it was the nurse coming for the thousandth time to check my vitals.

As I looked towards the open door, I saw a nurse just standing in the door way, she didn't come in she just stood there smiling at me right off I felt put off by how silently she just stood there smiling, she never uttered a word, she just stood there...smiling.

Now a few things about her got to me:

1. She wasn't dressed in modern-day scrubs like the other nurses/doctors, she had on a white nurses dress, white shoes, and white hat, sort of like you would see in the 40's or so.

2. She appeared to African american, and the nurse I had earlier was white,

3.she never spoke, and never took her eyes of me,

4. She never stopped smiling at me

As I stood there staring back at her, I couldn't move, and begin to get even more colder, and I'm not sure why but I just couldn't take my eyes off her.

As I laid there looking back at her the normal hospital hallway behind her begun to change (now mind you I was on the 7th floor) I begin to see trees and tombstones in what to appeared to be a grave yard, and then I begin To hear what sounded like People singing, and as the singing got closer she kind of turned to the side (all the while her eyes never left me and she never stopped smiling) and then I begin to see about 6 men (dressed in old fashioned dress suits) carrying a casket and singing (couldn't make out exactly what they were singing... Some kind of African american hymnal) they all entered the room walking right past her (looking straight ahead) and walked straight into the bathroom (the door was closed might I add) and as the last one went into the bathroom the room door closed.

Slowly but surely I didn't feel cold anymore, but I was still frozen with fear (I was beyond creeped out) I just prayed and prayed, and not 5 minutes later there was a knock at the door and the nurse that I had earlier walks in, she takes my vitals, give me my next dose of pain meds and then informs me that the shifts were about to change and that she was leaving for the the night and the nurse for the night would be in shortly and then she left.

About 10 minutes later I hear another knock on the door by this time (the meds have already started to kick in, so I had started to snooze,) the nurse comes in and introduces herself (can't remember her name to save my life) the majority of the time I'm talking to her with my eyes closed, she then asked me if I'm ok and do I need anything (trying not to appear as rude or anything) I turn to look at her before I speak again as I open my eyes and look up... I swear I was looking at the same African American nurse that stood in the doorway earlier, (except she was wearing modern-day scrubs) and she didn't seem as eerie but I just froze, not knowing what to say or do. She asked me again was I ok, and I just nodded my head and muttered a quick yes (never taking my eyes off her) she told me if I needed anything to push the button and let her know, she then smiled at me and walked out of the room.

Sleep quickly took me over, and the next thing I remember is waking up to her taking my vitals here and there throughout that night, but I couldn't stay awake for very long (due to the pain meds) I just remember that whenever I was woken up by her she was always staring down at me with this knowing look as if she knew what I had seen and she was always smiling! And when I woke up the next day she had already left and I ended up with another nurse that night and I was discharged the next day... So I never did see her again, it's been 7 years and I can still remember that experience as if it was yesterday it still gives me chills!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, purplegodess85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bastet (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-11)
Thank you for sharing - I must say, this is one of my fav stories here so far!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
RANDYM - I just have to tell you that I love your comment about the "new bundle of love and snot!" I'm still laughing 😆

Regards, Melda
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
Purplegodess

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing such an awesome story

For what it's worth here is my take.

When we, the living, have a ghostly experience, our default setting is that it's scary and the ghost must be up to no good and out to get us. I think this is something in each of us we have to work to change
Unless the intent to harm is obvious. Most people are loving and will not harm their fellow man.
Family members and friends love each other and won't harm each other. Dying doesn't change them
If people wouldn't hurt each other when alive they won't do it after they cross over

Ok. Now that my speech is done let me say this

First the medicine,
Perhaps the medicine relaxed you enough to allow you lower your guards enough to have the experience

Second
All Mothers worry about the health and wellbeing of their new bundle of love and snot. Perhaps all of this checking and smiling was a way of reassuring you that your new baby was fine and being well cared for and looked after by those on both sides of the veil.

As for the funeral. I could only guess that was perhaps your own internal fear that all parents have and that's the way it played out in a vision

I could be wrong about some or all of this but
Perhaps it can help give you another angle to consider besides fear

I really did enjoy reading your experience and dropped it in my Favorites

Have a great day and a better tomorrow
Randy 😕
aisyah1987 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
Av -

It is a real deal to be witnessing ghosts or spirits of any kind.
These things aren't even entertaining at all cuz you either have to deal with it or deny it.

I feel that you don't respect what this writer has went through and immaturely typed down whatever has crossed your mind.

Please don't do it again next time.

What might seem funny to you, might not be the same for others.

Thank you.

With Love,
Aisyah
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
Av: there are many interesting things you can do now that school is off but, if you have decided to spend your time reading the stories in this forum, it would be a good idea first to read the "Comments Guidelines" of the site.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/comments-guidelines.php

There's no need for you to look like a fool posting immature comments. 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
purplegodess: this is a very interesting experience.
Do you know the history/use of the land before the hospital was built?

As establish, the hospital is considered to be haunted, as many hospitals are. Would it be possible for the nurse to be a sensitive/psychic with the ability of astral projecting and that she was aware of your fear at witnessing what was going on in that moment and 'went' to your room to help?
For some reason I 'find' her smile to be more reassuring than creepy but understand your fear at witnessing such a weird show.

I guess it is impossible to say for sure what exactly happened in that hospital room, but experiences like yours are a proof that there are more things in the world than those that can be measured, controlled and studied in a predictable way.

Thanks for sharing.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
Av,
I am not a moderator but this is getting a bit tired. It is not the purpose of this forum to encourage folks who like to sit about cooking up ghost tales for entertainment. The intention is for individuals to share their actual experiences and in many cases seek help and council for issues that have left them stumped or distressed. Please, a little respect would be greatly appreciated.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
Perhaps she was showing you her funeral. Maybe she was showing you what she felt was the most difficult part of her job - death. Or... Maybe she wasn't so nice - there have been instances where medical professionals have been accused and convicted of intentionally making people sick and even killing them. That would explain the maniacal grin... Maybe look up old newspapers in your area scanning for the hospital name - bearing in mind that hospitals can move while maintaining the same name and can also change names while remaining in the same spot. She may even be attached to a piece of equipment they bought from another hospital - or even a staff member (we have discussed many times before here the notion that people can be haunted...what's to stop someone else from seeing the spirit that is attached to another person). So you could potentially cast your research net fairly wide.

You don't seem to have felt directly threatened by her but she certainly did not put you at ease... And coupling that with the doom and gloom vision and the maniacal grin... My vote goes for her having been a not overly nice spirit.

Ugh, as if hospitals didn't already give me the creeps! Lol
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
purplegoddess,
Well, that blew my theory to heck, didn't it? 😛 I don't think Tylenol would cause any hallucinations either...🙄
Nursing uniforms and the white caps began giving way to scrubs in the mid-70s, so that still fits. But the procession you saw? I've got nothing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
av - Perhaps it's time for you to see a ghost and post. That just might relieve you of your boredom. Perhaps we have a language barrier thing going here, I don't know.

Regards, Melda
av (4 posts)
-4
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
Jokes apart, this is the best experience I read until date. Thankyou for sharing with us. ❤

This comment from av is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

purplegodess85 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
Correction: I was on the 4rd floor of the women and children's hospital
purplegodess85 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
Well I wouldn't say I was heavily medicated... I have a very low tolerance for pain meds, (even my prescription migraine meds), and the day in question as I did take the pain meds as prescribed I also threw them back up with minutes of taken them, so I was given regular tylenol instead, I had a natural birth no c section, I know that the hospital was built in the late 1960's and opened in the early 1970's as for the portion I was in, it wasn't built/ added on until late 2008 and early 2009 (women and children's part of the hospital) as the hospital has been redesigned, and expanded and over the course of 30-40 years so I am not sure of anything else history wise with the hospital! I didn't see the nurse prior to seeing her stand in the doorway
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
Purplegoddess,
Interesting account. Do you know anything about the hospital's history? Like when it was built or what may have been there prior to having been built? Would I be correct in assuming that it was built prior to the 1940s?
I suppose that the funeral procession you saw may have been a very real dream/hallucination brought on by fatigue and the pain meds. (Once on demurral and morphine I had some dillies!) I only say this because you were on the 7th floor. However, I do wonder if perhaps you saw a bit of a history lesson. It wasn't all that long ago even hospitals were segregated. Some hospitals were segregated within the same building, including the service elevators. I can't help but to wonder if perhaps at come point in time that was your bathroom's original purpose. (A bit of a stretch there, but who knows?) Or if old enough, the back way down to the morgue (hidden hallway). I do believe that you believe what you saw though.
As for the nurse, you wouldn't be the first to see a spectral nurse, nor will you be the last. Her smile may have been meant to be comforting. Healthcare seems to run in families, so maybe you saw the grandmother of your night nurse!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
purplegodess85 - I have to think about this one. Did you perhaps have a C-section and were you on heavy pain meds?

Perhaps you had seen the "phantom nurse" earlier in the day and she was somehow in your mind? I don't know what the procession could have been about. Perhaps hallucination or sleep paralysis? You also mentioned a fever.

As I said, I'll have to think about it, seems a bit off the chart to me although I am not trashing your experience, please don't think that I am.

I'll wait and see what other comments come up here, might bring some clarity.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: