You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Comforting Nurse

Real Ghost Stories

A Comforting Nurse

 

When I was about twenty years old my grandpa became very sick. He had a lung disease and it was taking its toll very quickly.

He was at home when suddenly he passed out. His breathing was raspy and short so my grandma called an ambulance. He was taken to the closest hospital, only to be sent to a hospital in Atlanta, Georgia called Erlanger. They said that his lungs were filling with fluid and they were going to put in a tube to try and drain it but that, essentially, he would not be making it much longer. Two days go by and still no improvement.

As soon as I got the call, I booked it to Atlanta to be with him and my family. My grandpa and I have always been super close. He had always understood me and been there for me in ways that most people could only wish for. Nothing was keeping me from being there for him.

After about a three hour drive I made it, but they were already telling us there was no real hope and to call anybody who wanted to say goodbye. I sat with my grandpa for hours, talking to him like I always did.

Even though he was tubed and in a medicated coma, I knew him well enough to know he wouldn't want me to treat him differently, so I told him about my crazy drive there and about some funny customers I had on my latest shift. I described the beautiful sunset I could see from his window and encouraged him to open his eyes and see for himself but, of course, I knew he wouldn't.

Mostly I told him how much I loved him, and reminisced about our backyard camping trips, how he always came to my chorus concerts when I was in school and promised him that I would always remember his biggest lesson: "Never let your fears stop you from chasing your dreams."

An announcement came over the intercom saying all visitors had to leave for the night. So I kissed him on the cheek and hugged my grandma, letting her know that if she needed anything to call me, that I wasn't leaving Atlanta in case things got worse.

After grabbing a quick bite with my Mom and brother before they left for home, I drove around looking for a cheap but decent hotel in the area but there was nothing that I could really afford. So I drove back to the hospital and decided to just sleep in my car in the parking lot. Not exactly the safest or greatest idea I ever had but I didn't want to leave seeing that I lived so far away and didn't want to be far.

I made sure all my doors and windows were locked, curled up under my jacket best I could in the backseat and just cried. I didn't want to lose him but I knew there was nothing I could do.

Physically and mentally drained, I started to drift into a restless sleep when I felt long fingers run through my hair. I sat straight up but saw no one.

The smell of cheap perfume filled my car and I heard the voice of a woman say "Hush, he will pass peacefully. I will see to it. Sleep. I will watch over you." In that moment complete peace swept over me and I drifted back to sleep.

An hour or so later my phone rang it was my grandma letting me know that he was getting worse and that I needed to call my family and tell them that they were turning all the machines off that morning. I told her I loved her and that I would.

After everyone arrived we all stood around his bedside in prayer, hoping for a miracle, when I once again smelled the cheap perfume and felt a hand between my shoulder blades. I knew it was the mystery woman from that night because the only thing behind me was his IV pole.

I quickly turned my head and momentarily saw a woman that looked to be in her late thirties in dark grey scrubs with brown wavy hair smiling at me. As soon as they removed the tubes and turned off the machine, I watched her walk over to my grandpa laying a single hand on his chest. Within minutes he was gone and as soon as the heart monitor screeched letting us know he was gone, she vanished. Personally, I think that she is a nurse that used to work there.

I never asked anyone because I thought it would be rude but all in all, it was a strange but comforting experience.

Other hauntings by Lilwolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lilwolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Sherm784, Thank you I appreciate that. It was defintley a moving moment. 😊
sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
A very moving and touching story, thanks for sharing! Well told too.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-23)
AugustaM, Thank you so am I. I was thinking about that myself last night. If She is so loving and comforting now. She must have had a heart of gold while She was alive.

And of all the people that were sick and suffering in the hospital which is huge she picked to come be with us. Which in itself its heartmelting. I honestly feel honored.

Lilwolf
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-23)
I am so glad she was there for you and your grandfather. Loss creates such emotional chaos - a presence like that is an amazing gift. She must have been a truly wonderful person in life and I am happy that such a spirit has been able to carry on even in death.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Jubeele,Thank You so much, it is interesting what can happen in such a dark hour. I will certainly check out that story. A nurse showing up as a nun 🤔 never really heard of something like that. It must have been a really old hospital or interesting history attached to it.

Hospitals are defintley full of all sorts of energy. I always try to keep myself well guarded almost emotionally numb when I have to go into one because the energy is so overwhelming.

I'm glad your Dad and Your mother-in-law were able to pass in peace.

Wishing You the best
Lil-Wolf

Sushantkar,Wow that is amazing I have never heard of something quite like that and I am glad She recovered. Thank you for reading this and for sharing your exsperience.

LilWolf
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Babygoatpuller, It really is, I'm hoping that I was the comfort he needed along with the ghost nurse that was there.

Thank you for reading it and adding it to your favorites. ❤

LilWolf
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Hello Lilwolf, quite a experience you have shared with us. My maternal uncle's daughter once shared similar experience when her mother was admitted in a hospital due to accident. She was in coma. It was a full moon night and she was preparing food for his father when she saw a nun (or looked like a nun) sanding in the balcony. At first she was scared and she closed the window but after few minutes, she checked the balcony and there was no one. Later that night when she reached the hospital, she was informed by her father that her mother has gane full consciousness.
My condolences for your loss. May her soul rest in peace. Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming experience.
Regards
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Oh Lilwolf, my heart is full from reading your account. I've had that same bedside virgil for my Dad and then my mother-in-law. BGP is right - it's so bittersweet. That wrenching loss in our lives. But yet sweet relief; it brought blessed peace for them and an end to their suffering.

I was reminded of an account from Val when she was in hospital and received care from a nurse dressed like a nun:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24817

Hospitals are full of intense energies from the living and departed. I've no doubt that some of the caregivers continue watching over people even after they've gone from the mortal realm. I'm glad you've received comfort in your time of need. Peace. ❤
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-20)
Lilwolf-

This is just so bittersweet. I'm sure, as you sat talking to your grandpa that you were just as comforting to him as this woman was to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope it helps to know he wasn't alone as he went. ❤

Thank you for sharing. Going to favs.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-20)
Curious Dee, Thank You my grandpa was an amazing man. Death is a very strange thing and never seems to play out the same way.

*hugs*

LilWolf
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-20)
Lilwolf,

I absolutely believe your experience. I've been present with a few family members as they crossed over, there is always more than meets the eye. Sorry to hear about your grandpa, hugs sent your way ❤

-Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: