You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Interesting Visiting Nurse

Real Ghost Stories

Interesting Visiting Nurse

 

While in the Hospital, after a serious surgery, I had some strange encounters. What I am writing about today, had an impact on me.

I was given a private room at my request. I have had other events in the past, and you do not want to disturb the other person right next to you, when you see something they do not, I have learned.

The Hospital is the largest in Western/central MA area, they have taken over or closed most smaller Hospitals in this area. While it is a bit of a trip, the value of good medicine makes it worth it. It seems to be under construction most of the time, for improvements.

My visit was a long one, but I was healing slowly. Sitting there just watching the people pass, was one form of entertainment. They usually kept my big door to the hall open. The Doctors, nurses, hospital workers and visitors walked the hallway. I began to see a woman that didn't fit in. She had a white outfit, white stockings, and had a cap tucked into her short hair, she would glance at me and smile. I know the CTN (Certified Technical Nurse) wore an outfit of maroon. The Registered Nurses wore dark blue. Doctors would pass by but they wore white coats, over normal clothes.

The floor plan was a large oval with rooms on one side and a large nursing station and supplies in the middle. All had been redone a few years ago. For exercise the nurse assigned to me, would walk me around the oval. On one of these walks we met the odd nurse head on. She and my nurse blended in a very fast blur, then separated, walking on. My nurse was speaking at that moment, and showed no indication of what had just happened, and I closed my mouth quickly. As the odd nurse was walking much faster then we were, we met her again, and smiling she stepped in front and the nurses collided again. She had a full smile on and was looking at me, as they blended (again). Like look at me, I am a little brat! She was in need of entertainment, if her curse was to walk that circle for ever.

A night or two later there was a mix of raised voices coming from the nursing station. They were arguing about supplies not where they belong or missing. There is ALWAYS one or more RNs sitting at the station. Just then the white nurse puts her head around the door of my room, and she is silently laughing uncontrollably. I realized she seldom had an audience and was making the most of it. She had a hand it the missing supplies. Perhaps if only to make me laugh.

It worked and I did laugh! Poor thing, I wonder how long she will be stuck in that walkway. What could she have done to be rewarded that kind of punishment.

Other hauntings by msforgetmenott

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, msforgetmenott, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Well Jubeele,

I suspect the Good Doctor sold his horse. LOL

I do know there is a street between the big parking garage and a medical building that carries the name of the lady of the night.

Have a good holiday, and count your blessings.

Fondly,
Jan
Jubeele (26 stories) (888 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Hahaha. 🤣🤣🤣 Jan, you can't just stop the story there. You've got to find out what happened next to the Doctor, the Wife and Mrs Platte!
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Hi Jubeele! Happy Holidays!

Please read my note to Temelicious, it explains why research would be a bit of a problem.

I do not have the strength to run down rabbit holes. I have much more interest in knowing about the torn down homes, and the original residents.

For example in the mid 1800s, there was a Doctor living on such a street in the city. His wife helped him keep records. His wife became curious as to where he went, most evenings around 8:00. The doctor and his horse with buggy, night after night. His wife watching behind the lacy curtain.

Then came the evening the horse came back with no one in the buggy. His smart wife got into the buggy and the horse began trotting. Making known turns without stop.

The verbal story ends when the buggy stops in front of Mrs. Platte's home. (name change). The local lady of the night. Or it probably didn't end there but it is how I was told.

😊 😆 Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Hi Temilicious,

This Hospital blended with another in the 1960s. Needing more space, It began to take down whole streets. The neighborhood (inner-city) had been lovely with the best homes, but time had run them down and they became many apt. Dwellings. Slums in most cases. Medicine has power, and it became a teaching hospital, and still is.

The medical offices expanded, and continue to do so. Where there were mills and large places of employment, became separate buildings divided into one health type.

Then came the garages for patients, garages for staff, covering whole blocks. My energy level is too low, for impossible research.

It would be most unlikely to find one individual that worked there 60 years ago. She was young and probably quickly forgotten when gone.

My Best,
Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Hello RCR, Merry Christmas Eve to you,

Some are suggesting I do research, and as nurses come and go, finding her would be a needle in the hay stack.

I can say, that for many reasons, that nurse was the only staff, that gave me pleasure. I was grateful!

Have a wonderful Holiday,

Jan
Jubeele (26 stories) (888 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-24)
Hi Jan, you could also try getting in touch with the historian at the local library. There might be information in their archives about the history of the hospital, past nursing staff, the style of uniforms, past fatalities involving staff around her age group etc.

I was thinking about why the nurse still made her rounds. It could be some unfinished business for her and she isn't ready to let go, and move on. Maybe she still has this need to continue watching over the sick and to comfort them. She might not be under some penance because there was a certain playfulness to her interaction with you. She seemed rather light-hearted, playing little pranks and giving you her full smile. Nothing malicious, resentful or hostile. I think the nursing staff would invariably find the missing medicines, even if they ended up somewhere else. Just her way of making them notice her antics perhaps?

If you do find yourself in that vicinity again (hopefully under less serious circumstances, like a checkup), maybe you can say a prayer or simply a few words to wish her well and to find peace at last.

So glad to hear from you. May this season bring you much comfort and joy.

Warmest wishes

Jubeele & Rex-T 😘
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-23)
...oh, see that you're no longer there.

Can you still look into it?
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-23)
Oh Jan,

I remember the last post I read of yours you were concerned about the operation.

Am sure I speak for everyone when I say; we're glad it went well and you're alive and kicking. #Blessings.

Loved this encounter, it's definitely going into my favourites.

Please look into the nurse if you can, and see if you can't find anything about an RN from the era of her uniform. Maybe there might even be a staff photo. My gran is a RN and they used to take staff pictures annually at the one hospital that she worked in. Don't know if hospitals in the US do/did the same.

I find it interesting that she didn't try to communicate with you, but seemed to enjoy having someone to entertain. I wonder if you were to try and say something to her next time you see her, if she'd reply or just freak out like we freak out when they communicate with us. Lol. That would be funny.

Nothing else to add, other than am glad to here from you. I seldom come online anymore, so am happy I caught this one.

BLESSINGS TO EVERYONE THIS FESTIVE SEASON.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-23)
Merry Christmas, Jan. And a healthy and blessed New Year to you and all at YGS.

The nurses behavior reminded me of a very non-ghostly experience I had. It involved a Catholic school, a priest and a nun.

One of the priests at the school I attended sent me to detention as a joke, for skipping a study hall. I actually had a hall pass from one of the school nuns (not the one involved in this event) to practice a choral piece for an upcoming mass. Only myself and the other bass in the choir were called to detention that day. When we showed, the vice principal asked why we were there. I said, 'Father Durant', and the principal interrupted me and dismissed us.

Fast forward 20 years. I'm working in a library in a suburb of Syracuse NY and some nuns come in. When they went to check out books, I scanned the card and looked at the name. "Sister Durant? By any chance do you know Father Durant who taught at RCH?"

"Yes," she said. "He's my brother."

I related to her that experience. She grinned and said, "And now you know what I went through growing up."
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-12-22)
Season's Greetings Biblio,

I thing she must have done something terrible to be made to walk the oval around that floor. I was thinking it had to do with medications.
Makes you wonder if there is a punishment for what you have done in life... She was young.

She was in constant movement, but for when she was bent over laughing outside my door.

Sounds like your brother has a good sense of humor!

Merry Christmas!
Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-22)
Hi Valkricry,

Val, when think this through, I felt she was still trying to cheer up the one patient that could see her. Still making one feel better.

My oldest sister was an RN in the 60s, she dressed in that style uniform.

The mix up in the nurses station was her. There are security cameras that would have caught anyone normal. I was told it would happen every month or two. A mystery to them. Frustrating when each item is counted.

Merry Christmas, wishing you the best.

Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-22)
Hi Rex-T,

Glad to see you back with us. I hope you and Jubeele have a fine Holliday. Even if it is a quiet one.

I had been looking at legs and feet passing by when I first noticed something different. Her white leather tie-ups, were sinking down into the floor at each step. That floor had been covered with a new one on the last re-do improvements.

Great to see you back, we were worried about you.

Happy Christmas, and Joyful Season to you.

Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-22)
Hello Lady-glow.

When she mixed with the other nurse I felt a static, on the side where they blended. Later I looked at my arm and it was red.

Yes it was sad, but she seemed to find the one person tuned in. I do not think I was the first.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas also ❤ ❤
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-21)
Season's Greetings, Jan.

I'm just going to second Val's point. My brother tells me that nurses tend toward jokes & pranks, especially on the night shift, just to keep each other amused and alert.

My brother was partially responsible for a running gag with a posable "action figure" toy. Several of the nurses would move the toy around the nurses' station, so that it would appear to be thinking deeply about the latest bulletin from management, or using a straw to drink water from a flower arrangement, etc. The running gag became so elaborate that my brother took the toy *on his honeymoon* to post images on-line; when he & his wife got back, he printed small photos as if they were the toy's mementos from a vacation!

Nurses need to let off a little steam somehow; I fully believe that your nurse was glad that someone could see the funny side of her pranks.

Best,
Biblio.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+4
5 years ago (2018-12-21)
Merry Christmas, Jan!
I read your account with great interest and then drew upon my knowledge of hospital nurses (I wasn't one but the twins were both RNs). Typically nurses are assigned to a particular area (ward or floor) for x amount of time, then rotated off to another area. At least that was their experience back from the 60s-80s. I can't honestly say all hospitals work the same way, as I don't know. I'm just going off their experiences. However, if we use that as a given, then that oval may have been her ward, when she passed. Or perhaps, she went through the rotation she knew, it's generally well established, and the oval was her assignment while you were there. Meaning not anchored there.
Since she interacted with you, she was an intelligent spirit - aware of others. Apparently, she was also aware that most were not aware of her, thus her delight in showing off a bit, and playing pranks for your entertainment.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-21)
Hi Jan,

Soooo good to hear from you!

I agree with lady-glow. Destined to constantly walk the wards without any interaction from "the real people" would drive me bonkers. I'm sure she would have got a kick out of somebody noticing her and "played up" accordingly.

Jubeele and me wish you a peaceful and healthy festive season. Please stay in touch.

Rex-D
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-21)
Jan, first of all, it's great to hear from you.😊

What a fascinating and intriguing experience. I agree with your impression of the nurse enjoying an audience, it must be frustrating for her to be there without being noticed... Alone amongst a crowd, - that's sad.

I wonder if she causes mischief regularly or if she was only showing off for you, and I'm glad that she didn't get into your room.

Seeing both nurses colliding sounds creepy-interesting, I remember watching a movie where a ghost could hide by entering unsuspecting people's bodies, or something like that.

I'm sure that ghostly nurse was thankful for the attention you gave her and for the little change to her monotonous routine.

Thanks for sharing.

Have a Merry Christmas.❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: