You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Obon Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

The Obon Visitor

 

My grandmother has been dead for about a year and she was born and raised in Japan. During the time before the Obon, legend says that your ancestors are around you and they return at the end of the dancing festivities. I never believed in all of that but during last years Obon, my grandmother was being honored and I was attending.

I was helping take care of my aunt who didn't speak any english and was bedridden. My 3 year old son came in the room one day and he said to me, "Mommy, there is a lady in the bedroom..." He was talking about my grandmother's old room. I was caught off guard and I began to ask him questions to describe her, I asked if she was nice or mean. He said she was nice, then I asked if she looked like me or like my elderly aunt. And he said she looked like my aunt, and promptly left the room. I got up and walked toward the other bedroom and I heard my son talking to an older woman.

The room was dark but I saw him sitting on the bed swinging his legs as he talked. I heard both voices, and it was my grandmother's voice. I couldn't hear what they were talking about because my aunt called me, but when I got back in the room with her, she stopped me from scooping up more food. She held my hand, told me that my grandmother would take great care of him and not to worry. She always had a connection with my grandmother and there were times that I heard her talking to what seemed like herself. It lasted for about 30 minutes and I would hear my son and the woman laughing and playing, I didn't know how I could explain it but I knew that it made my son feel safe so I accepted it.

My son seemed to be the only one that could see her, but during the trip a blanket appeared when I woke up in the morning that I hadn't put there. Also she protected him when my father and I had a big fight and he didn't hear all of the yelling and slept like an angel through it. I like to think that she was there to protect my Aunt but she was able to get to play with my son as a bonus. Ever since then I have wanted to know all that I can about her, and it warms my heart to know that she was there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Alayna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-04)
it is said that children are able to see,hear,or feel presences that others don't and only certain adults and other stuff can hear,see,or feel those presences
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-03)
Thanks Alayna, for sharing your story. I enjoyed it. It is a lovely thing that your Grandmother was around your family and communicating with your son. Good luck in your quest in finding out all about your Grandmother, I bet you'll learn a lot from your Aunt!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
As others have commented, often times children are far more aware to the paranormal. There are many theories as to why, but I believe it to be because children are not jaded to the world and their 'imagination' until older.

What a beautiful story!
I am glad that your granmother was able to communicatte with your son and you hold comfort in that.

God Bless!
Dan07 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Not sounding weird or anything but you should try to contact your grandmother... My grandmother died almost to years ago 3-1-06 she died... Very tragic... I'm only 14 but then was 13 and it hit me big time... I got interested into ghost when my mother went to a medium and I had a weird experience... But I would love to meet or see my grandmother as I loved her dearly, I still have a teddy that was in her room... And for two years I can still smell her on it... Ill talk bout that in a story... God bless and I still hope your son stays protected.
GlendaSC (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-30)
Thanks for sharing this. I think family ties are especially strong. Probably your family has some history of being open, or sensitive to that otherworld. Have you had other things happen?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Thank you Alayna for sharing your story with us I truly enjoyed it. It would be wonderful if we all had the ability to "see" like small children do. I believe we were all born with that "magic" but society has suppressed it in most people. Consider yourselves blessed.

FRAWIN ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Hello Alayna.
The best part of this story, I think is where your aunt seems to tell you to quit eavesdropping on your Grandmother and son's visit. To me, that is what made this story stand out. That gives it the ring of truth, you know what I mean?
I think you should consider your self blessed that your grandmother wanted to spend this extra time with your son. The bonds that we make in our life times are very precious, and to have told him that no one was there and that he was imagining, I think would have not been good for him. Of course, maybe if you had not heard her voice things would have been different, but I believe she wanted you to hear so that you would have accepted the situation as what it was. I think your son needed to know this loving, protective spirit that just happens to have been your grandmother.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-29)
Just curious, is your father the son of this grandmother? Kids can sleep through a lot of noise so I don't know if that was the reason he didn't hear any fighting but sure does sound like your grandmother wanted to make contact and your son was receptive. Also if you heard more than one voice you were able to pick her up audibly which may mean you are sensitive as well. This sounds like a visitation and not a haunting.It's nice to know you have someone from the other side looking out for your boy. Peace.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-28)
Usually children are very sensitive to Spirits. Your Grandmother is looking out for your son. Good story!
Good luck, thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: