You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Wee Ones At The Window

Real Ghost Stories

Wee Ones At The Window

 

Sometime in either late July or early August 2015, husband and I woke in the middle of the night. Which is something neither of us normally do. What woke us, I guess, was an awareness.

From my perspective I was cosy in bed fast asleep. Both of us facing the window. Then, very groggy, I awoke, opening my eyes to the window. I seemed to be already 'looking' toward the window or, to be more precise, the crack in the curtains. Even though I was just asleep. So now I'm barely awake, looking at the crack in the curtain to outside the window where a group of small warm coloured lights were floating around in a small cluster gathered at the crack in the curtain. I wasn't bothered or even startled by them and remained barely awake. Mustered up the energy to look around at my husband, who was also barely awake and watching them with a groggy smile. I looked back to the window where they were still floating around. For the next few moments I tried hard to fight sleep and watch whatever they might do next. I went back to sleep again while they were still at the window.

From my husband's perspective, he woke to the sound of something like dirt or tiny pebbles lightly brushing down the length of the windowpane. He thinks he heard this sound a few successive times in his sleep and that it stopped when he opened his eyes. Once awake he found the window was illuminated with a soft orange or golden glow. The glow was there when he woke, he didn't see it happen. Seconds after at least two small warm lights floated in front of the thin curtain and slowly floated to where both curtains (thick and thin) were opened a crack. They remained at the crack, seemingly peering through the window. Then a few more joined them, following from the same direction, making maybe five or so small lights. This is about when I woke up. He managed to stay awake a bit longer than me and saw a few dart quickly upwards toward the roof, then hover down to the window again. He fell asleep shortly after, while they were still at the window. Apart from something brushing against the window, he also heard a high pitched chattering sound, like you might expect from small rodents. He's not sure if he heard this sound the entire duration, or in intermittent bursts.

Although I didn't hear these sounds that night, I've heard them at other times, we both have, it always seems to happen at night. We put it down to rodents scurrying around. We have mice in the area so those noises could well have been mice.

I think that's pretty much all there is to it, pretty short submission from me for a change! I looked online for news of fireflies in the area, thinking maybe some had escaped from a zoo or something. But no such luck. I did find some people talking on a nature forum about seeing something similar to what we saw but no one had any answers for them either. Except that it was an unconfirmed firefly finding. The discussion is dated 2012. It begins with a question about glowing midges and then fireflies are discussed. It's interesting because fireflies aren't supposed to be here. You can read it here:

Http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/902/t/85084.aspx

We still don't know what was at our window that night, but it sure was cool!

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
They sound like maybe the Marfa Texas (USA) lights, or those ones that are in Australia I don't remember the name for.

No one knows what they are, the Native Americans in Texas assumed they were spirits (they have been there since always) the traveling European pioneers couldn't make heads or tails of them, current residence say they're car lights, UFO's, or mirage. But they were there before cars were invented. And no, those are defiantly not fireflies.

Is there someone buried under your house? Or in the yard?! I was just reading some poor lady in Brazil was doing home renovations and bones started being unearthed by the truckloads. Turns out, they had built her entire subdivision on top of a 300 year old gravesite where Africans coming off the slave ships were disposed who were too sick and died before being sold. It was pretty gruesome. 2,000 a year was the estimate. And it came as a complete surprise to her, obviously.

If your house is old enough, the land could have been a family graveyard or something.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Correction:

Spockie's and Augusta's information! (Must take morning meds *before* typing, in future!)

-Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Greetings, Tweed.

For the second time in a couple of days, I'm agreeing with Spockie's information. However, I shall elaborate on one detail, because...well, like Tyrion, "It's what I do. I drink and I know things." Fireflies are all over the New England region; I've only seen them generate a phosphorescent-yellow-green color. (Just did the math, and I've lived here for almost 3 decades!)

--Just double-checked; apparently there are red & reddish-orange fireflies, too. Now I feel like I've somehow been cheated out of seeing them.--

Your description of the events doesn't sound like the behavior of fireflies, though. They're relatively sturdy beetles, not ephemeral will o' the wisps.

Best,
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
Augusta and BGP, I'm glad I submitted this because I'd more or less resigned myself to it being fireflies and was expecting people to more or less confirm this. So it's weird/cool having everyone say the opposite.
I never thought of these as being UFO related. It reminded me of stuff I'd read on here. Of people seeing lights float into tree trunks and what have you. Most people think these are fireflies too, maybe they are. I never really cared while reading because to imagine it was still magical either way. 😊 It's also never struck me as weird that we never went to the window, until I read you say it. You'd think we'd be up like a Jack in the box, but nup lol. It was a serine moment, all warm and fuzzy like.
I'll tell Mum about that website, she's into some website but I don't know what it's called. You can tell I don't pay much attention to the old UFO reports. Not that I don't believe, just never been enthused lol.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
This is so cool Tweed. I think it's odd that you were both so groggy that you couldn't get up to check them out further, yet awake enough to get so much detail on them.

I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with you and your mom's "ET" lights. Have you told her anything about this? Maybe compared the sounds or appearance of the lights?

I'm a full on believer in the UFO phenom. I've seen a handful of them and my twin brother had a terrifying experience when he was 5 years old.

Your mom might be interested in the NUFORC website if she hasn't checked it out already. It's a UFO reporting site and while most of the reports are probably something of this world, quite a few make ya go hmmmmm...
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
I was thinking rogue fireflies too until the bit about their moving up to the roof and back - fireflies don't tend to move quickly and they don't typically fly much higher than about six feet off the ground (it makes sense since they are lighting up to find a mate on the ground - fly too high and they won't be seen by a mate but a hungry bat). So I am going with paranormal too. Sounds eerily like willowisps to me or faeries. Either way, a really lovely experience! ❤
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Spockie, once again you've given me much to think about, thanks! Bit surprised to hear it doesn't sound like fireflies. That's freaky and cool, huh bit shocked if I'm honest. 😕
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Fireflies, at least the ones we have around my area, are very small and shine for a second or two, then turn off, then shine again while the bugs are flying. The color of the light is yellow or white. What you saw doesn't sound at all like fireflies or lightning bugs. Sounds more like something paranormal.
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Melda, to this day I keep expecting a news headline about fireflies being found here. I've never seen fireflies in person, only on telly. But these things looked very similar. In my mind there's a 50/50 chance they were as yet undiscovered fireflies. Fairies, fireflies, whichever they are they were very cool. 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Tweed - What an amazing experience.

I don't really know why I'm commenting, I really have no idea what that could have been. Possibly fairies, or something elemental? 😕 You know a lot more about that subject than I do!

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: