You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Friendly Silhouette

Real Ghost Stories

The Friendly Silhouette

 

This is the first story I have ever posted, as I am new to the site. I hope that you like it, as I certainly found it intriguing, at the time!

This particular incident took place, when I was ten years old. I had been ill and had, therefore, been sent to bed early, by my parents. The illness was nothing major, just a virus that I had picked up, from school.

Time progressed and I had not been able to fall asleep and so I had been laying, in the dark, for what seemed to be quite a while, although it was not late, as the rest of my family were still downstairs.

At this point, I'd like to describe the lay out of my bedroom, so that you have a clearer understanding of my story. The head of my bed was positioned against my bedroom window, which was situated at the rear of the house. The view from it was of our back garden and of those belonging to the houses, behind us. Opposite my bed, at its foot, was my wardrobe, which was tall and wooden, with a thin, three foot mirror attached to its panel, to the left of the wardrobe door.

It was autumn or winter, I can't remember which and so the evenings drew in early and it had been dark for some time. I was suffering from the typical sore throat and fever and as I mentioned already, was trying to settle to sleep but to no avail. At the time, I was in preference to having my bedroom door shut and curtains open. That night was no exception and I lay on my back, in the darkness, facing my wardrobe.

Without warning, a bright, white light, similar to a security light, was projected on to my wardrobe door, bringing along with it a perfect, black silhouette of a person, from a side profile. I was not sure if it was male or female, which sounds strange, but it was petite, with short, curly hair. You could clearly see the shape of the person's nose and lips and they were stood in that position for several seconds, possibly even a minute, in total.

There was no feeling of threat, there. In fact, there was just mild puzzlement, on my part. Sitting up in bed, I at first, assumed that the silhouette belonged to one of our neighbours, who had switched on a light, in their back garden, before venturing out. I turned around and studied first my neighbours' back gardens and then my own. In all instances, there was no light and nobody, at all, outside.

Baffled, I turned back to the silhouette. It was still there, the only difference was that its head had tilted downwards, slightly. Determined to find a logical explanation, to the person's presence, I turned to look out of the window, again. Perhaps the light was bright moonlight and I had failed to see the person, outside, first time around.

Kneeling right at the head of my bed, I had one more look but again, there was nothing and nobody there. The moonlight, that I had suspected, as an explanation, for the illumination, behind the silhouette, was not there, either. There was no moon and it was a cloudy night. I was baffled.

Turning to face the silhouette, one more time, I studied it, still intrigued by it and keen for an answer as to why it was there. It remained in front of me for several more seconds, before vanishing, taking the light with it, as though it had been switched off.

I still think about this experience, from time to time. What strikes me about it is, not only the bold, blatant appearance of the light and silhouette but the fact that the incident, itself, seemed totally natural, albeit, the lack of logic that its appearance produced.

I've been wondering if the silhouette was somebody who was there for me, looking after me and they wanted me to know as much. What does everybody else think?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SuperPugLady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KenS80 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-16)
Hey'a, not sure if you're still about. I share similar apparitions. Not recently, but similar. Hope you've found a cure.
ヽ ('‿') ノ
SuperPugLady (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-27)
Thank you, Jubeele. Your discovery sounds very interesting. I hope you get to discover as much as possible.
Thanks, also, for your link. I've used it and have started to research both lay lines and what may have resided, in the area, before the house was built. No luck, yet but I'll keep searching...😀 🙄
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-26)
Hi SuperPugLady, have a look at this:
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

I've also Googled and found mention of supposed maps of leylines in the UK. Beware of scammers happy to help you part with your $terling though.

Wouldn't it be interesting if your childhood home sat on an intersection? I've found out recently that mine was built over some Chinese cemeteries in the 1960s <happy chills>...
SuperPugLady (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Hi, Jubeele and Babygoatpuller,

Your theories are fascinating and have given me much to research and discover! The idea of a veil, being pulled back, to reveal another realm is definitely food for thought, as are the lay lines, which I'll definitely look into.

Babygoatpuller, WOW! The arabic writing, that you describe sounded like an intriguing and incredible experience. Like you, I wish I knew what the message meant. It must have been sent, to you, from the spirit world and hopefully with love.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with me. I look forward to hearing more of them! Keep them coming, everyone.😃😄
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-21)
SuperPugLady,
I really admire how you kept your cool during the experience. Hmm, could you have somehow come across a temporary portal, like a veil between worlds that was lifted for a brief moment. Could it be a glimpse of another time/place and your illness somehow made you more open to the experience, by lowering any usual barriers? Is there is a way to check if a place rests on leylines and thus be more open to otherworld activity under the right (or wrong) circumstances? Ok, maybe I watch too many sci-fi/fantasy movies. Thanks for sharing - enjoyed reading it.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
SuperPugLady-

This reminds me of when I had a light appear on my wall. It was about 24"x 20" and wasn't a silhouette but had writing on it. I'm pretty sure it was Arabic. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a picture of it but my curiosity blocked all common sense and I didn't. My husband is Egyptian and he would have been able to decipher it for me. 😠

There was no outside source for it and after a few minutes, it just disappeared.

Manafort's right. We're just lucky to have seen something like this. If you come up with any info, let us know and thanks for sharing!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-11)
Hi SuperPugLady--Thanks for the added information about the house. Just wanted to add that a person doesn't need to have died in a house to appear in it or "haunt" it. Apparitions commonly appear in places that had some importance to them during their lifetime. So it's very possible you witnessed the apparition of a former resident that died elsewhere. That house was probably a special place to a deceased former resident.
SuperPugLady (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-11)
Hi, guys. Thanks for your comments and advice. Manafon 1, the revelation that this kind of apparition has been documented is fascinating. It'll give me something to research and get my teeth into!
As for the history of my childhood house, it was built in the 1930's and my parents are aware of all of its previous occupants, before them. They are adamant that nobody has died there, although, with the experiences that I and one of my friends have had, I beg to differ. I'll have to do a little digging, to uncover the the history of it, in more detail, perhaps, even, what was there before the house was built and find out the truth. I'll do my best to discover if there's anything that's been missed and if and when I do, I'll keep you all posted!😃
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-10)
What an intriguing story. I actually got chills when you said the head had slightly tilted downward. Also very interesting that Manafon1 mentioned that this kind of thing had been reported before. It's really baffling, and the only thing I can think to ask is if there was a possibility a sibling was playing a prank. Though it really sounds unlikely from what you describe.

In any case, I think the fact that you said it seemed normal... And didn't apparently cause you any fear... Would imply that whatever/whoever it might have been was benign.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-10)
SuperPugLady--Thanks for sharing your very compelling account. It might make you feel a bit better knowing that what you experienced is very similar to other well documented apparitional encounters. The bright light that you saw and that the apparition only appeared as a silhouette are two often reported features that pop up in psychical literature case study books.

Whether the apparition was someone looking out for you and wanting you to know it is impossible to ascertain based on what you witnessed. I read one case quite similar to yours where a much loved family patriarch suddenly appeared as a silhouette on a wardrobe. He was witnessed by several family members and a servant who recognized his distinct features in profile. Like the apparition you saw he moved and appeared as a well defined shadow would.

However, there are other similar cases in which the silhouette doesn't seem to have any connection to the person witnessing it whatsoever. It appears and just happens to be observed by a lucky person like yourself. I have to say that your composure and curiosity while seeing the apparition are commendable. That you tried to first find rational explanations is great.

Do you know the history of the house? It could have been a former resident just stopping in to visit his/her one time bedroom. Did you get a feeling from the silhouette that it wanted you to see it and that it was there for you? If the answer is yes, then it very well could have been there specifically for you. What you felt during the encounter could reveal a lot about a possible intent on the spirit's part.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: