You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Reasonable Explanations Or Is Something Amiss?

Real Ghost Stories

Reasonable Explanations Or Is Something Amiss?

 

We moved into our current home four years ago. It's a four-bedroom colonial in a little family-oriented subdivision that was built in the sixties. There are a handful of original owners left but it's mostly people with young children or families with older kids or empty nesters. We bought our house from the children of a recently deceased original owner, who paid $33K for their brand-new house in 1966 and raised three kids here. I secretly hoped it would be haunted before we moved in and while I can't say for sure that it is, there have been a number of incidents that have given me pause.

The day I showed up to meet the inspector is when the first incident happened. We were standing in the kitchen; he was entering some info into his laptop which he had set on the counter and I was standing on the other side of peninsula looking at my phone. Suddenly I heard what I thought was a door slamming hard behind me and I jumped about a mile and whipped around to see what it was. I didn't know if either of the two doors I could see had been open in the first place, and they are both that hollow kind of door it's impossible to properly slam (believe me, I've tried!) anyway, and by this time I had hopped around the peninsula to be closer to the inspector, whom I asked, "What was that!?" He looked up from his laptop, which was now closed, and said, "What was what?" I said, "You didn't hear that door slam?" He said no and offered "Maybe it we me closing my laptop?" I suppose it is possible that in the empty house the sound of a laptop closing could have echoed and seemed much louder and also to be coming from another direction, but I was very skeptical of his suggestion at the time.

A couple of eventless years later a bunch of things happened all within a couple of months. The first was the time I was showering and my then four-year-old boy was playing in my room just outside the bathroom. I had left the bathroom door wide open so I could hear him and planned to be in and out quickly. I heard him enter the bathroom and peeked out and asked him what was going on. He said nothing and ran out and I heard his door close. I got out and dried off and went in and he was sitting on the floor, so I asked what he was doing. He was not one to play in his own room ever or close the door unless he was mad. He told me he had been playing in my room and he heard a lady say on the other side of my door "Boo!" I said, what? A lady? My husband and I casually questioned him about this event for about a week and he never changed his story. He was playing, a lady right on the other side of the door said Boo! And he got scared, ran into the bathroom, then went into his room. My husband didn't know what to make of it and neither did I.

Shortly thereafter, I was in the kitchen doing the dishes one afternoon. My son was outside playing. Over the running water, I realized I was hearing another sound, a motorized noise. I turned off the water and listened and determined it was coming from the garage. I opened the door from the laundry to the garage and saw the garage door up. Obviously I thought that was weird so I pushed the button and closed it and returned to the dishes. A minute later I heard the noise again and sure enough, the door was open. This went on for about 15 minutes. I'd close it, and a few minutes later it would open. Finally it stopped and it never happened again and the garage door has functioned totally normally since. I should mention that I cook and do dishes A LOT and I frequently think I see something to my left, toward the doors that I checked when I heard the slam, and find myself constantly looking, thinking there's someone there.

Next weird thing, and this one I could not explain at all. Again, was doing the dishes. Kid outside. Window in front of me open, nice mild day. Suddenly a WHOOSH! Of wind seemed to come at me simultaneously from behind and above my head and below, from the sink up into my face. I first ducked, then whirled around and looked up, thinking the ceiling fan had come on or something. It was off. It was the oddest thing, the strong suddenly wind coming from the back and front at the same time.

Sometime after that I was in the living room reading or something, I'm sure my son was outside again and my husband was in the basement with his bandmates recording a song. Suddenly I heard the sound of glass breaking, so I got up to investigate. I looked first in the kitchen, found nothing. I went from room to room and couldn't find anything, no broken window, no glass on the floor, nothing. I kind of forgot about it and went back to my business. Later on that evening I was in the dining room setting the table and I spotted a little brass & glass lamp upside-down on the floor. It is a small, maybe six or eight inch high brass hummingbird figure extended from a brass arm to appear to be circling the tulip-shaped ochre-tinted shade, which has a small bulb inside. It sits on a short bookshelf that I keep cookbooks in in the dining room, but now it was upside down about a foot from the bookshelf, a crack at the base, splintering the shade in two. It was so far from the bookshelf I could not figure out what had happened, or how it had flipped upside down. It seemed that since it was so bottom-heavy, if it were to fall naturally for some reason, it would not turn over like that. I am not a physics expert so if this is the most likely way for an object like this land, then okay. But still, why did it fall, and why so far? I asked my husband if he thought the drumming downstairs could have created enough vibration, because that's the only thing I could think of, but he doubted it. Nothing else has ever fallen or moved and we have a lot of band practice over here.

Some time after that event I was preparing to make some bread and needed my dough hook to attach to my mixer. I opened the drawer I keep all my measuring cups and mixer attachments in and could not find it. I looked and looked and looked again and it just wasn't in there. I thought maybe my husband had emptied the dishwasher and put it in the wrong drawer as he sometimes does because my kitchen-utensil organization system is alien to him. So I looked in the drawer I keep stuff like corkscrews and garlic presses in. No dice. I looked in the large-tool utensil drawer where I keep the hand mixer and citrus juicer. Not in there either. I looked in the cupboard beneath the drawer it was supposed to be in, thinking maybe it somehow fell out and landed down there. I looked in the muffin and cake pan cupboard. After about ten or fifteen minutes I was going bonkers. I stopped looking for a minute and just tried to gather my thoughts and figure out where in the hell this thing was, and then I saw it, sitting on the counter right in front of me.

This final event is also the most recent. My husband was sleeping in the guest room at the end of the hall one night and in the morning came in and woke me up and asked if I had needed something from him in the night. I said no, why? He told me he had been lying on the bed with the door closed using his laptop when the doorknob turned several times. He said he heard it turning and looked up and it continued to make the sound that our old squeaky doorknobs make and then stopped. He couldn't see anything because it was too dark over by the door. I said that it might have been the wind because sometimes the windows make a rattle in that room but he insisted it was the door knob, and he pooh-poohed just about every event I described to you above as being nothing. This time he was unable to explain what he had heard and seemed a little spooked.

That was about a year ago and I haven't had any other experiences. I'll write about the place I lived two houses ago next time!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GreekToMe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
GreekToMe, I hope you'll keep us updated. Your story is particularly fascinating to me, because you seem very level-headed and logical. These strange events have me completely stumped. And also have me on the edge of my seat!
GreekToMe (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments. I will try to address the questions.

All I know about the previous owner is that it was a family who raised three kids here when the sub was built. The kids moved out, the father died, and the mother lived here for a while alone until she had to be moved into a nursing home where she lived for less than a year, maybe only a few months. She evidently had a fall here in the house and was undiscovered for a couple of days, lying on the floor, which precipitated the move to the nursing home. The other elderly neighbors who knew this family recall that she, the mother, was "a little strange," but they would not elaborate because I'm sure they don't want to speak ill of her. I gather she might have been a little nutty and opinionated which is funny because I think I have that rep around here too.

I think that ALL of these events can be logically explained, frankly, just as I think most (not all) of the tales on this site can be logically explained. I just can't explain them. The garage door--yes, for sure; anything electrical I think can usually be declared non-paranormal. It just kept happening that day while I was doing the dishes and never happened before or again. The clicker was in my purse sitting on the bench in the hallway... I suppose it could have misfired, or perhaps an animal was in the garage and tripped something?

My son was in my my room with the door cracked a few inches and he said the "Boo!" came from just outside my bedroom door. I asked him over the course of a week or two about this, very casually, not trying to lead him or even make him think I thought it was weird or scary. He was scared by it, but not because of my reaction. He never changed one bit of the story the way kids tend to do when they're making stuff up. He didn't see anything. He just said it was a lady's voice.

The mixer: Yes, I thought too that maybe I took it out and then for some reason kept looking. Maybe I just got into "SEARCH" mode and spaced out. I spent SUCH a long time tearing the kitchen apart that when I saw it there on the counter I practically fainted.

The little lamp---this one bugged me because I love this little lamp so much and it felt like a personal insult; the upside down landing and the cracked glass shade really felt like a big F U and the distance from the shelf it sits on was more than weird. We have band practice here A LOT and always have and the pictures haven't even tilted. Apart from the vibration of the drumming I can't think of any other explanation for the lamp falling. Like I said, I was alone on this floor of the house and the lamp itself is pretty heavy.

The door slam: Yeah, I told the inspector I really doubted his laptop closing was the noise I heard. No windows were open because it was early March and very cold outside. There was some furniture in the house but I didn't notice anything with a part that could open or shut. I just have to with the laptop explanation on that one, I guess. I didn't even find a door that had been open previously and was later shut. And they are those hollow, unsatisfying kind of doors.

Honestly, the thing that freaked me out the most was the wind out of nowhere while I was doing the dishes. I mean, I DUCKED!

Hope I addressed all the questions!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-24)
GreektoMe,

Thank you for sharing. Most of the events you have shared are 'on the edge', they could be either something natural OR something Paranormal.

For instance:

While speaking with the inspector...

The 'plastic click' of a closing laptop does not a slamming door make. Even a 'hollow core door' has more of a 'wood on wood' sound. Now this may have been due to a draft with-in the home... Question concerning this... Were any windows open and/or was there any furniture in the home a the time this event occurred?

Your son and the Lady saying 'Boo':

Which door did he hear her voice at? The Bathroom OR the entrance to your bedroom? Or was the voice behind your closet door? Did he only 'hear' a voice OR did he also 'see' the woman who said 'Boo'? If so did he ever describe her?

The nick-knack with the humming bird:

Sounds like you and your husband did a good job debunking this as not being 'natural causes' so the question now is 'if it was a spirit what were they trying to draw your attention to? (Unless they were trying to make a point about the band being to loud? 😲)

The mixer part and the garage door opening:

A 'Short' or someone having the same frequency for a remote MAY have caused your garage door to 'act' the way it did. Whomever had the remote that caused it changed it out because whatever equipment it went with was not working while your garage door responded to it.

As for the mixer part... Is there a chance you pulled it out but did not realize you had already done so and went looking for it? I have done this a few times only to take a deep breath, collected my thoughts and found what I was looking for 'right in plain sight'. You get so focused on 'looking' for it in other places it becomes 'invisible' until you take a moment.

Did you happen to keep a Journal of 'all' of the unusual events that have taken place? I mean you did state this...

"I secretly hoped it would be haunted before we moved in and while I can't say for sure that it is, there have been a number of incidents that have given me pause."

...and a Journal could help preserve details that could help determine if there is actually spirit activity in your home.

Again, Thanks for sharing. Here's hoping you will answer the questions.

Rook
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-24)
GreekToMe

Hello and thank you for sharing

I really love encounters like these and really enjoyed reading about yours
To me, these are always the best and most believable

I think one reason you may go so long between events is that a place doesn't have to be haunted all of the time. I think a lot of people may not realize this, It's not a "all or nothing" situation. Ghost can come and go much like we the living go to a place and visit then leave. We may return there or we may not. It sounds like whoever is there is rather mild mannered from what you have told us. I have a childhood friend who lives in a house that was built pre Civil War era and has mild events such as those you describe. When he first moved in the activity was very heavy but has toned down over the years. He told them early that he could only tolerate so much but if they could be considerate of each other they could co-exist in the house together. This seemed to work and all has been good over 15 years now.

Please continue to share if anything else happens as I so love these types of encounters

Have a great day and a better tomorrow
Randy
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-23)
GreektoMe, I'm no expert on paranormal things, but it sure sounds like something strange is going on in your home. The one thing that especially gave me the chills is the way the attachment to your mixer suddenly showed up on the counter. Do you have any information on the late owner of the house? I was just wondering if there was any way to find out from her children what her personality was like. For example, if she was a practical joker, or if her children had also had unexplained occurrences since she passed.

Thank you for sharing that very intriguing story.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-23)
GreekToMe - It seems to me that you do have an invisible, uninvited guest in your home.

Firstly, your young son's reaction to the lady saying "boo", causing him to rush off to his room and close the door, must have been a scary event for him. It's highly unlikely that he would have fantasized that. He obviously realised, somewhere in his little mind, that this lady did not belong in the house!

The other experiences which you describe would have set the alarm bells off for me as well. It doesn't sound like a malevolent spirit but nevertheless I can understand that it would make you extremely uncomfortable.

As far as your garage door is concerned: We have an electric gate at the driveway to our property and it also tends to play up, opening and closing seemingly at will. The button to control the gate is in the kitchen but we also have remote controls for access to and from the property. This has been proved to be an electrical glitch. For months the gate will be fine and then for a week or two it starts its nonsense again. I'm not saying that this is the case with your garage door but it is a distinct possibility.

Perhaps a blessing of your home (according to your religion) or a home cleansing would not go amiss. There is a very good cleansing ritual on Rookdygin's profile page, or you could google alternative methods for what suits you, if you are interested.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: