You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Carriage House

Real Ghost Stories

The Carriage House

 

If you've read my accounts before, you'll know that I lived in a house built in 1920. It's on a huge plot of land with the original carriage house behind it. When we bought it, my sister and brother in law wanted a little house of their own here in Texas, so they renovated the carriage house completely. They took it down to the studs, new wiring, heat/ac, insulation and put up an eight foot privacy fence toward the alley. These old neighborhoods still have an alley bisecting each block. The carriage house is charming; two decks and two sets of stairs lead down to the carriage area and we fitted it out with a washer/dryer and storage areas.

They decided not to use it, so I bought it from them and use it as a rental property. Now, I know it has it's own little quirky things going on. My back porch faces it so that I can see the second floor where the living quarters are. Sometimes, I can feel someone looking back at me or when I walk in I'll have a sense that I've interrupted a conversation. When the renovation was happening, we'd turn everything off, go downstairs, have lunch and go back up to find a radio blaring, the towels in the bathroom on the floor or the doors that we'd left open were shut. Nothing major, just enough to get our attention.

Our new tenant is an old friend. She's cut my husband's hair for 35 years and I've known her for 17 years. She's level headed and logical. She's been there since Hurricane Harvey. She lost her house, unfortunately and she's going through some personal things. She's just a lovely person who is lavishing the place with love. She has it looking beautiful and homey.

So, we were very surprised last night when she called and hysterically described being in bed and hearing a conversation in her living room. It was two men and she heard them moving from the kitchen to the living room. She was so scared that she locked the bedroom door and didn't dare go out until it was quiet. She was behind the door with pepper spray and I got a frantic message on Facebook that Jeff (hubby) needed to come up there. She could hear two of them right outside the bedroom and they opened the bathroom door and slammed it and the last she heard was someone going out the front door and closing and locking it. She said she was trying to pretend to herself that we had gone up there for some reason and hadn't told her.

Well, he grabbed shoes, flashlight and gun and ran up the stairs to her apartment. He checked all of the doors, windows (second floor it's an 18 foot drop to the ground) and the fence gates. They're all locked with very sturdy padlocks. Someone would have had to jump an eight foot fence. He went through everything and there was no sign of anyone. Our dogs are also great if anyone is in the alley we know about it. This being Texas, all of our neighbors are onto anyone not belonging hanging around. They're also the type to go out with a gun and confront anyone messing with property. They didn't hear a thing, the dogs never barked and this was fairly early at night - probably 9pm at the latest.

We got her calmed down, but I just got another message from her. She was blow drying her hair this morning and her blow dryer sparked and threw the breaker. She had to throw the blow dryer out and every time she goes into the bathroom, the breaker trips. With all new wiring, I don't see how this is possible, but we'll take the logical approach and replace it and we have electricians coming out today. How we're going to calm her down again, I have no idea.

Not a very interesting story, but it is puzzling. I might have to go up there and have a little talk with the place and ask them to stop scaring her. My sister and brother in law spent one night there and my sister was very sick at the time... Someone rubbed her shoulder as if to say 'it will be okay'. She said it was comforting.

Will let you know how this develops...

Thanks,

Emma

Other hauntings by EmmalineTexas

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EmmalineTexas, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Melda - Being a troll is the last refuge of those too ignorant to add anything intelligent to a conversation. Don't let the trolls get you down. They have a short attention span and people give them a giant heave like Uncle Phil did on Fresh Prince. Yeah, that visual. And karma is a biatch. ❤
Emma
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Emmaline - As stated in my previous comment on Gh0sthunter's story, I would like to respond to you individually.

It isn't about my down votes in general, it's about the troll who goes around doing that. I deserved some of my down votes on Maggie's story but a number of others didn't deserve them on other story threads where they weren't being confrontational at all.

I'm not going to close my YGS account, perhaps just hibernate for a while. Then again - I've been known to change my mind in a flash and I'm a Virgo? Blast those star signs, mine doesn't suit my purposes😁

Regards, Melda
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Jetson - I'm so sorry to hear the your family's vacation home was destroyed by Irma and even sorrier to hear that your friend lost his livelihood. How heartbreaking for him. Irma wasn't treated like the tragedy that it really was. It will be years before rebuilding is even close to complete. Your friend will be in my thoughts and dare I say, my prayers. I'm very glad that you avoided Irma by a day. It was awful. ❤
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Rex-T, I apologize. I meant to answer your question yesterday and I lost track. The electricians didn't find anything wrong but we had the circuit breaker replaced in case it was faulty. The bathroom seems to be working fine for Patty. I hope it stays that way.
Thank you,
Emma
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Emma,

Pardon me for being pushy but did the Electricians find any problems in the wiring or circuit breaker? Has the bathroom been behaving itself for Patty?

I hope the silence is continuing to be deafening for Patty and you.

Rex-T
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Hello Emma... I know all about Hurricanes unfortuantely as our family vacation property in St. Maarten was destroyed along with the livelihood of our close family friend by Hurrican Irma. Recently after several months we were able to evacuate him off the island to the Dominican Republic and then later were were able to get him the money to be able to fly to Columbus Ohio where he has work/shelter. Unfortunately for how long we really do not know and our heart goes out to him as really he has lost everything. It is a terrible and devasting moment to go through. We left St. Maarten a day before the Hurrican hit. Everything we know of or had known on the island is destroyed.

As for the carriage house... It sounds beautiful but perhaps as many have mentioned in renovation you perhaps stirred up unwanted feelings. My heart goes out to your tenant.
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Hey Babygoatpuller ❤
My sister has been ill for 5 years. She and her husband were working for a trucking company and they were exposed to benzene and other chemicals. She was also dealing with the death of our mother and if affected her mentally. They spent one night there before it was finished. I still can't wrap my head around it. I don't think it was the house. She was clearly showing signs of problems long before this. Sorry, long answer but she did go to the hospital here and they found nothing wrong with her after admitting her for 7 days. She became convinced that she was environmentally allergic to everything including the house and limited herself to 3 or 4 foods.

I believe that Patty is Catholic and ghosties are a no no? She doesn't want anything spooky around her. No sir.

Love to hear from you,
Emma
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
So Emma, if you've had "dead silence" (pardon your pun 😜) for 4 days now, maybe it's working.

I'm just curious... Why did your sister and brother-in-law decide not to use the place? Did they stay there at all?

Do you know why Patty is so afraid to talk about the paranormal? Is it religion, something that happened in her past, or just generally was "taught" to be afraid of it?

My hubby was terrified by something when he was a child and wouldn't even tolerate the mention of anything paranormal when we first met. He's still "ooky" about it but he now, can't deny it. After witnessing a few things around here for himself, he tells me about it and when I try to question him, his only comment is "I don't know" 🙄 My long drawn out point is, he's accepted it.

Can't wait to hear what happens and I hope your talk helped!
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Apologies Emma at a slow response (been feeling a bit old over the last few days) with RCRuskin getting in with the logical things first. Jubeele with 'Disturbing the Possums' and your part 2 of what IrishGuy believes are paranormal experiences.

I wonder if Patty would be more comfortable with - your paranormal free loaders or a roof full of Possums or Raccoons.

If those Electricians come back and tell you there's nothing wrong with the wiring, ask then to check the circuit breaker as well. If Patty is there why not get her to go into the bathroom and see what happens.

Very interesting story Emma and you'd better have a talk to Emmaline about pretending to be asleep.

Looking forward to further correspondence,
Rex-T
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Hi Emma, the Hungry Ghost Festival actually commemorates filial piety. The legend goes that Mulian or Maudgalyayana, a disciple of Buddha tried to ease his mother's suffering in hell by making food offerings to the ghosts. This was so they would stop stealing her food. Another story has him making the offerings so that her soul will be released from hell. Because of his filial devotion, the King of Hell decided to allow lost souls a month's freedom once a year.

My Mum has numerous taboos during the festival month. She also attends Sunday church services; somehow, she manages to live in harmony with the church and her traditional beliefs. She believes in respect for all the Ways. She has never sprouted "my religion is superior to yours" dogma to the neighbours (that would be the height of bad manners). We've always shared in celebrating each other's festivals.

I really like how you dealt with the situation for Patty. Hopefully, that will serve to keep the peace. Now, if only you could somehow get these "tenants" to pay rent as RC pointed out!
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Jubeele, Hungry Ghost month has always made me a little bit uneasy. All of those unhappy souls wandering. I would talk to my house too. I'm glad it's always worked for you. I did find out a little bit more about my property. The land was used by the Air Force and was bought out sometime after 1915. Patty seems okay for right now, thank goodness. If anything else happens I'll definitely take more steps to try to move anything along that might be bothering her. Disturbed the possums! LOL I love it. Sounds silly, but I actually told my house that I would make it pretty again - it was used as a rental and was in tough shape.

Melda, Nothing had happened before the two men talking. We did get electricians out and they didn't find anything wrong. Just in case, we had them replace the breaker. Patty doesn't like the idea of anything supernatural at all so I've asked her to let me know if anything else happens.

Thank you both ❤
Emma
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
EmmalineTexas - There must have been a lot of human activity on the property especially with the house having been built in 1920, so hardly surprising that a few former inhabitants have chosen to prolong their stay.

Is Patty normally open to the supernatural? Were these the only events which she experienced in the carriage house?

I also tend to do a lot of talking in my house (and elsewhere when I feel something a bit "off") and I think it helps.

Keep us updated about the electricity - the electricians will possibly be able to explain it away.

Just carry on keeping your friend calm, I'm sure with some help the souls hanging around can be encouraged to move on. If they intended to harm her in any way they would have shown aggressive tendencies by now.

Regards, Melda
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Irish Guy, Jubeele and RCRuskin thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. My poor tenant Patty, was terrified. I went up there and had a little chat. To quote: "I know that you like it here and must have lived here in the past. Now, you see Patty is a sweetheart and she's making this a very loved place. If you have to hang out and talk, please do it only if she's not here. It's not nice at all to frighten her. Do it again and she may move out. She lost her house and we love her. So STOP IT!". Dead silence for 4 days now. We'll see.
Thank you again

Emma
IrishGuy (30 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
I definetley think there is something paranormal going on in that house. Its possible the entities do not want the tenants living there and are trying to frighten them to leave. Maybe you could consider useing Rooks cleansing as well as having a chat with them and that just might help. Keep safe!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Emma, you can't leave us dangling like this... I want to know what happened next!

It's very likely that your renovations must have "disturbed the possums". Someone wanted to welcome you to the neighbourhood. Wonder if they liked your redecorating? There seems to be a caring presence there who reached out to your sister. I had a similar experience when I took ill staying at the inn in Hartley Vale, Sydney. Startling at the time, but comforting.

That poor lady - how unnerving for her, living with all that uncanny weirdness. Not my cup of tea either. I'm all for peace and quiet. I occasionally do address the "empty air" and say firmly, "There'll be no nonsense in this place". I usually find myself doing that during the Chinese Hungry Ghost month. Not sure whom I'm talking to as we've never had anything noteworthy happen in over 16 years - must work (haha). It would be good if your "talk" bears good results for your friend.

Have you learnt anything more about the history of the carriage house or what was on the land itself in the past?

I really enjoyed reading your account. More please?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Good idea, checking the logical things first. In addition:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155 has a cleansing ritual.

I'd also suggest contacting a priest, minister, rabbi, imam, shaman, or other spiritual expert as appropriate for your faith.

And keep notes, please, of all these goings on, and anything going on in your life and your tenant's life, without getting too unnecessarily intimate, if you understand my meaning.

If there is no previous events, usual suspects of murders, suicides, etc., on your property, and logical explanations don't reveal any issues, then something going on has attracted unwanted tenants who don't pay rent like they should, and violate so many bits of landlord/tenant law.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: