You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Poltergeist That Hated Blondes

Real Ghost Stories

A Poltergeist That Hated Blondes

 

My story started in 1982. My Dad had been in the military for 32 years and then had worked for NASA before he retired. Because of his military service, he and my Mom were eligible to travel anywhere in the world by military transport if there was available room and pay a nominal fee for any meals while in flight. They had never been to Hong Kong and it had long been on their bucket list. They arranged for the trip which would be for about two weeks if I remember correctly. They were worried leaving their house empty for that long and asked me to house sit. There had been a string of burglaries in the area but they targeted houses that were up for sale or empty.

Now, the house I grew up in was not a very cozy or warm and fuzzy place. The rumor that I heard when we moved in was that a boy of 13 had killed himself with a shotgun a couple of years prior to us moving in. I had never been able to substantiate the rumor and it was definitely verboten in my house to ask about it. It was a standard ranch in the burbs built in probably 1968 or 1969 when California started booming and my parents got a suspiciously good deal on it. But, I digress.

This house just did NOT feel friendly. Even with all of the windows and doors open it felt dark. When you entered the front door you had the kitchen and family to your right, living room to the left and a long hallway leading back to 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. Classic L shape with the tile roofs of a pseudo hacienda. The energy made me nervous. Quite often at night you would hear footsteps going down the hall turning, and going to the kitchen. There was a built in desk there where they kept a phone/answering machine/fax machine. Without fail, we would hear the fax machine dialing and the phone's speaker would pick up ringing. No one ever answered, thank god. My Dad was an ex search and rescue man. He quickly shut down any discussion. If you grew up military, you understand that one look would wilt you in your seat.

They left for their trip and I nervously settled in. I had the instinct to keep myself near the front of the house. I chose the family room couch in order to stay as close to the front door as possible. Things have a habit of pretty much saying "I SEE YOU" and I have to say "I SEE YOU, TOO!" which can lead to pretty nasty stand off. The first night there I stayed up late and finally went to sleep about 2am. At 3 o'clock right on the dot (yes, I know the cliché) the little entity came walking down the hall. Step, shuffle, step... All the way into the kitchen. I waited for it to start dialing. Nope. It paused, and the footsteps came right up to where I was lying on the couch. I was feeling an energy surge but I didn't see anything. My impression was that it was agitated.

In my head I heard "Move". I was trying to wake up and pull myself together when it said again "MOVE". More urgent and I sat up and started putting my shoes on. There was a kitchen between me and the front door. I was flabbergasted that this thing I had been afraid of was more scared than I was. I was shaking and fumbling for my car keys. This thing was screaming in my head "MOVE PLEASE GO PLEASE GO NOW GO" and I bolted for the kitchen.

As I got to the edge of the dining room I heard what this ghost was afraid of. It sounded huge. Heavy footsteps boomed down the hall. Something growled and I heard the farthest bedroom door slam, then the next one, then the bathroom. Only one doorway left before it got to the kitchen. I grabbed the front door knob and frantically tried to get it open but it wouldn't budge. It was unlocked but there was so much pressure that I couldn't pull it open. The last door slammed and I prayed for help to get it open. It suddenly popped open so hard that I fell backward into the wall and scrambled outside onto my hands and knees. Behind me the front door slammed so hard that the wood in the frame splintered in an area about 3 inches across.

I sat in the car until dawn and I never again went into that house at night. I took a friend back with me to check it before dark every night. My parents sold it to my sister when they downsized but I never went over there again. Years later, I told this story to a friend of mine, Nick, who had spent time with me over there when we were in high school. His comment? "That poltergeist that hates blondes?" Yes, Nick had felt it too. We're both blondes. It had trapped him in the kitchen one day. I wondered why he had suddenly stopped coming over.

Other hauntings by EmmalineTexas

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EmmalineTexas, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-20)
Jennilou87 - Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you liked the story. Yes, I have one that might be listed soon. When my son was 5, he was being stalked by a very dark entity. Scared me so bad we left and moved as far away as possible. I think the name on the story is 'Biter'.
Jennilou87 (6 stories) (19 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-20)
Wow! What a terrifying story! I could literally feel my heart pounding in my chest as I read this!
Have you got anymore to share?
Awesome story

Jennilou
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-15)
Red - Thanks for your comment. I didn't know at the time that you can take control of the situation. That came a bit later in my life. At the time, I was just scared and wanted to get away from it. Thank you very much. I would love it if you posted a story about your daughter's experiences.

AugustaM - Thank you! You are probably right. At the time, we were all young and lacking understanding and probably empathy. Looking back now, I wish that I had tried to communicate with him and help him move on. I'm always grateful that he warned me. Your comment is very incisive and it's something I'll always remember. Thanks again.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-12)
I am very intrigued by the little warning spirit. No matter what they say that 13 year old was into before he tragically ended his life, he was still just a boy. Bear in mind too that rumor mills and local lore often tarnish the most heart wrenching characters in such events to make them easier to stomach. So, though it isn't fair or right, it is human nature and psychologically easier for society to say 'well, he shot himself because he was into Satan, case closed' than to puzzle over the horrific tragedy of an otherwise normal little boy ending his life in such a way indicting society to examine its own failings.

Maybe too, that dark energy/spirit played a hand in the boy's death. I don't mean to suggest that a spirit picked up the shot gun and fired it but that it got into his head, effected him emotionally, made him feel like there was no other escape from it. Another possibility that would point to the warning entity's identity being the boy.

Given the time period of Spanish missionary activity in the area, any possible lingering monk spirits would have no experience with telephones or any of the tech of the last hundred+ years. Monks could also be quite young depending on the circumstances in which they came to live at the monastery. So they too could be the warning spirit.

For some reason, I just get a strong hunch that the warning spirit was the boy. My gut just won't have it any other way.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-10)
Emmaline

It's too bad that nobody told you that you can make a spirit leave just by telling it that it must because you do not want it there and it is not welcome. You may have to do this several times but if you are firm and show no fear it should leave. I've done this myself and it does work.
My daughter has gone to a place that I need to write about and has brought home a spirit or two that I had to get rid of,

Red
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-09)
Jubeele - No, unfortunately my sister's marriage is one of those where they stay together but need to be apart. She's also been in ill health for a very long time.

The people who bought the house had it blessed before they moved in. I'm hoping that the little ghost just comes by now to play. I really believe that spirits can return to places that are familiar to them but be at peace. There's that sliders principle again! Time may overlap in a lot of cases.

You had me at custard tarts! I love those. You know, one of these days a group may get together. I quit smoking a long time ago and we had people from all over the world. We met up in England. The record for the longest trip went to my friend Ruth. She traveled from Kenya!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the little encounters I've submitted. I love your stories. They are so rich in details and atmosphere. Your narrative transports you into the scene.

Thanks,
Emma ❤
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-09)
Aww, Emma - thanks for your kind words too. 😳

I do hope your sister and her husband are doing better now that they're away from the house's negative influence. One more question though: did the new owners hear the footsteps and opening cupboard doors before or after their house blessing?

I've really enjoyed your fresh, lively narratives and have read each of them more than once. It would be really great if a group of us could get together in cosy surroundings, on Cups' beautifully upholstered sofa, wheel out a laden tea cart and just settle back for a good long chat. ❤
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-09)
Jubeele - Crowded is a good word for it! Yes, it had way too much negative energy. It spilled over to all of the relationships in the house. Including my sister's marriage after she and her husband lived there. I wish that they would have done something about it at the time.

The people who bought the house after my sister were Hindu and they wisely had a house blessing before they moved in. I hope that it helped the little spirit to move on. Thanks for your comment. I always love seeing your compassionate but logical take on events.
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Emmaline, this seriously creeped me out. I'm so glad you got out of there and no one was hurt.

Funny how some subjects are taboo - even when its common knowledge, but we're aren't supposed to talk about it. <*sigh> That house sounded crowded with activity. It probably needed a thorough cleansing and blessing (if your parents would've allowed it, that is). It seems like they're in full denial - but that's not going to make the problems disappear. Especially when it's all happening right before your eyes.

Hopefully, someone will help that little spirit safely pass on...
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Emmaline, that is terrifying! Cool experience, but yikes... I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation, or your sister's situation. I feel bad for the child spirit. It makes me think that the "evil" presence is holding him hostage somehow.

It would be really interesting to comb old newspapers at the library for any information on that property - sounds like it has quite the sordid past!

Don't ever apologize for the long explanations... I am the queen of yammering on!
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Cups - Thanks so much for your comment! I don't know if it was the 13 year old boy. The rumor mill had it that he was into Satanism and this little thing felt very innocent to me. It might have been much, much older. My sister eventually bought the house and one night she heard someone chanting (bizarre, I know) so she popped out of the master bedroom and started down the hall. Well, she got about halfway down the pitch dark hallway and realized that something was glowing. To hear her tell it, it slowly dawned on her that she was looking at a pair of feet. In sandals! She could see the bottom of a brown robe but it stopped at about mid-shin. She's very psychic and she decided on the spot to play dumb and backed up very slowly down the hall, slammed the bedroom door, locked it and waited until morning to come out.

It was an area that had a lot of Spanish missions. That would mean monks and the people who lived near the missions. Maybe it was a monk or a child? I'd tend toward a child. They didn't really know what a phone was or how to work it. What's funny is the people who bought the house called my sister a few months later. They kept hearing footsteps going down the hall, into the kitchen and then cupboards opening and closing. I wonder if that child was looking for the phone to play with.

Thanks so much for your insights and sorry for the long explanation.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
WOW! What an incredible story! I was almost nervous to read to the end... What a crazy experience. My first thought was the 13 year old boy was who warned you... Is that your impression also? 😨
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Hi Melda 😕 Thanks so much for your comment. I've learned something from you right there. You're absolutely right, the little ghost was more scared than I was but yet it came to warn me. I love that ❤

When we first moved in, we were choosing bedrooms and one of the back bedrooms gave me the heebee jeebies. I knew that something very dark was in there and it was one of those I see you moments I was talking about. I hadn't ever realized before that night though that it could come down the hallway. I thought that it was trapped in that bedroom.

I didn't tell my parents what happened. I paid someone to fix the door and told my parents that someone must have tried to break in while I was at work. My Dad didn't like talking about anything psychic. My gut tells me he was psychic too, along with my Mom. He passed anything she said off as her being unstable. She was very paranoid and prone to getting hysterical. It seemed safer to avoid an episode involving her. For his sake and mine. Sorry for that long explanation.

You're right, that house needed to be blessed in the worst way. A friend of mine a couple of years later made a mistake when it came to that house. We were telling ghost stories one night and he got it into his head to drive over there. We parked across the street and when we looked into the front window of the living room there was a very tall shadow standing facing us. He cursed it out and told it to take him on. He had it following him around and harassing him. I had to ask someone to bless him and remove the attachment. Nasty stuff.

I'm lucky that it only wanted to scare me out of there. I think that the land itself had some very bad energy.

Thanks so much Melda. I love your insights and comments.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
EmmalineTexas - What a lucky escape for you, thanks to the good little entity. I do believe that some of them are more afraid of us than we are of them. Fortunately for them they can remain invisible and we can't 😁

Was that the first experience you had in the house with the nasty entity? Scary stuff indeed! What was your parents' reaction when you told them or did you decide not to broach the subject with military dad?

Sounds as though that house could do with a good blessing and cleansing 😨

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: