You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Periodic Experiences, What Is Going On?

Real Ghost Stories

Periodic Experiences, What Is Going On?

 

So, a bit of background. The house I currently live in, we moved into about 7 years ago now. I live with my parents and two brothers (I'm in my early 20s and my brothers are 18.) We live in a place called the Wirral, it's a little peninsula over the water from Liverpool.

Ever since we moved in there has been periodic episodes of strange activity. Like, things will happen quite frequently for a few weeks or months and then be quiet for up to a year. Some of the things I've experienced personally are the sound of light switches turning on and off or footsteps upstairs and wardrobes opening when nobody else is home. My dad and myself have also experienced the sound of footsteps running up the stairs and thought it was each other but it wasn't.

One of the more... "vivid" experiences was the smell of tobacco in our dining room. Like really strong pipe smoke, as if somebody was in the room smoking. This only ever happened once but it's stayed with me. It turns out that the previous owner of the house smoked a tobacco pipe. He, and his grandson who lived with him, both died while they were living at this address. So I'm thinking it may be them letting us know that this is their house and they are here to stay.

The activity seems to be more frequent during summer months (when the grandson died, playing cricket) and more sporadic and random during winter months. All of us have experienced something in this house, including the dog. She will quite often stare into space as if she's focusing on something intently. Luckily we have never felt threatened by the activity or by the sense of their presence in the house, it just feels like part of the house. We have never actually seen anything, I think I'd draw the line there, that would scare me.

Has anybody else experienced something similar in regards to the sporadic and fluctuating frequency of paranormal events? If so, why do you think that happens?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LewNicol95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

saxichan_2002 (5 stories) (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
We also get waves of activity. We did not experience anything in this home for several years and it's not a constant. Activity will "disappear" for a while then show up again or different things happen. It was this way in every place I've ever experienced paranormal events. I've even gone years where I experience nothing and then suddenly, activity. "Sporadic and fluctuating frequency" are very accurate for many of my paranormal experiences at any rate.
Dreyk (9 stories) (27 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-01)
I have some experience with unexplainable odors. There's something very real and disturbing about a smell that comes out of nowhere with no explanation. Most of the activity you're explaining may be a form a residual haunting. The imprint of a person, or an event, playing out over and over again as if it was set on repeat. That doesn't mean the "repeats" are regular. They can be triggered by many different things, people moving in or out, renovations, the weather, a particular time of year. I agree with Dangslow, create a journal and document what you experience by date. You might start to see a pattern. If it ends up being completely random it might be someone, or something, trying to get your attention.
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
I think you should document the activity. If you find out it usually happens at a certain time or day, it may be a better indication of what they may want.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-24)
LewNicol95 - I think most of us can relate to much of what you describe as far as footsteps, lights and apparitions are concerned.

I have a theory for the escalation of and, at times, absence of visitations. Only a theory, note, the only research that took place happened in my own mind!

Now if I were a ghost I can think of three places which I would feel an urge to visit. The first is the house I was raised in, the second is the city of Cape Town (where I spent much of my youth and where I still long to be) and the third is my present home. I have lived in this house for 30 years. Then I haven't even mentioned visiting my children and grandchildren 😁

So perhaps I would like to spend my summer months partially in Mossel Bay, beautiful seaside town in the Cape, where I was raised. The rest of the summer I would spend in Cape Town (often hanging out at Clifton 4th Beach wandering around in a bikini). Of course I would have to take on my youthful persona for those two vacations. Then, being the loyal and reliable person which I hope I am, I would have to return home for the rest of the time, home at present being Pretoria.

So LewNicol, perhaps your ghosts have an alternate "haunt"?

Does it make any sense or am I the only one with an overactive imagination?

Regards, Melda
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Well I think our time as we know it is not the same as " their time" for starters. I think there is another dimension once a spirit crosses over. Surely dates are significant because sometimes they act up on particular dates of significance like an anniversary etc... But I don't think they follow the same time rules as our world.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
The tobacco smoke bit resonated with me. My best friend smokes a pipe and is partial to a very particular and unusual brand of tobacco (lol not, in this case, a euphemism for products other than tobacco) - smell it once and you wouldn't easily confuse it for any other. Sadly, we live quite some distance away from each other - nearly 600 miles. Just the same, at times when I've been thinking very hard on some conversation we've had or quite upset over something and wishing my best friend could be closer, I will literally walk into a cloud of that scent. Its as though perhaps our minds connected somehow over the distance. Not a ghost in my case but I know how distinctive and evocative that scent can be!

I also get the waves of activity. In fact my neighbors and I were just discussing that very thing last night. We live in a smallish 1925 apartment building (30 units, I think) picturesquely nestled next to a mass grave dating to 1855. And it seems as though we collectively notice activity ramps up in the spring and dies off in other seasons with much smaller waves in the off times. Its curious. I wonder if the energy of the earth waking up for spring has ought to do with it. Whatever the cause, we've experienced it too 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: