You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: 10 Years Old And New House

Real Ghost Stories

10 Years Old And New House

 

My small contribution, which has led to some continued interest in the paranormal.

We moved house when I was 10. Bigger house, two story, built in the late 40's IIRC. Early on I,at least, would hear my name called and it wasn't my mom. (Went and asked.) My younger brother complained of seeing faces on the wall at night. The biggie occurred one early evening as I went up stairs to the second floor, the stair way left the main floor and went up to a landing, turned right and went up another 7-8 steps. At the top there was a hall with entrances to the bath, and my room on the left, entrances to my folks room and younger sister's room on the right.

I was about half way up from the landing to 2nd floor level when something white and irregularly shaped came out of my folks room. It might have been an arm given the height but had no real shape aside from an irregular length. There was no one else from the family up stairs. I don't think my feet touched the steps on the way back down, I went through the house to the TV room in the back of the first floor. I stopped next to my mom and she said, "you are just white." I don't remember if she said any more and I blurted out that an arm had come out of their (mom & dad's) bedroom. To which my dad said,"Was it a man's or woman's arm?" I replied, "It was white!" I had never been so scared, never saw it again and when ever I went up stairs in the evening I had to screw up my courage and make sure the light in the up stairs hall was on. If the story ended here it probably wouldn't mean much.

Many times we, as a family, would leave the house in the evening and my dad would see and complain that the attic light was left on by somebody. The attic stairs were accessed through a door in their bedroom BTW. One evening, as we were all called down stairs to get in the car and go somewhere, I made a point to be the last down. I turned off the attic light, which had a wall mounted toggle switch that wasn't the least bit worn out, having a firm click. I joined the family and as we pulled in front of the house in the car, my dad complained that the light in the attic was on. It was, I looked for myself and reported to my dad that I had turned the light off before we left. The subject of ghosts came up, several times, but being a religious family, there was no further discussion. One of the times I was visiting town long after my folks had moved again I went by that house at night, the light was on.;)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, robmkivseries70, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-09)
LuciaJacinta,
Thanks for the reply, the town where this happened is a good 3 hours away from where I live now so it isn't real easy to go check out the house. As far as I know, no one else in my family saw anything. I do have family there but I am not so sure a request to drive by the old house would be accepted. It would be fun to visit with the current owners though. 😊
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-03)
I like your story. How often do you drive by? Is the light always on?

I also once just saw a part of an arm. In my case, I took it to be just a sign that the spirit was there. Like to bring attention to itself.

Did anyone other than you experience happenings or partial visualations?
robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-25)
Manafon1, thanks for the reply. Even now, 50 some years later just writing about it causes the hair on my neck to go up.;) There may have been some other things going on in the house but they weren't evident. I quizzed my siblings a couple of years ago, but they didn't remember anything. I just now discovered this was posted, cool!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-24)
Hi robmkivseries70 - Your account has had me thinking. I do believe that you saw part of an apparition and it brings up the various ways they appear to human eyes. The whiteness you describe reminds me of a full body apparition I saw at a customer's house about five months ago. I plan on writing about this experience as soon as I get a bit of free time. This apparition was all white and partially amorphous. She (as I perceived it to definitely be a woman) was walking quickly past an open bedroom door down a hallway but besides the head, a dress-like garment and the vague hint of an arm, appeared vague, washed out and oddly indistinct.

Now if I glanced up a second later I would have only caught part if the body. It appeared to me to be wearing a dress or long skirt but if I looked a second later the back of the dress and arm would have looked like a shapeless, irregular blob. Seems quite possible you saw a ghostly arm that was of an apparition just leaving or just entering the room.

Like the activity your family experienced of an attic light being regularly turned on in your childhood house, the house I was staying in also had lights that would turn on (and also off). Voices were heard in the middle of the night too at the house I was staying at suggesting that as incomplete as the apparition was (only white, slightly transparent) that it was to some degree cognizant as, like your childhood ghost turning on your attic light, it liked to make its presence known by clicking lights on and off to let it be known that it was there. In the final analysis, besides scaring you as a child, your ghost seemed benign. Quite capable of unwittingly scaring the hell out of you as a young kid but benign! Thanks for sharing your brush with the supernatural.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: