You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: A Friend In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

A Friend In The Woods

 

I grew up in an old farm house in the country - off the highway and kind of in the middle of nowhere. It was the house my grandmother grew up in, and it stayed in the family since. I even had the same room she did. The house was surrounded by a big grassy yard, which was bordered by a wood - or small forest if you will - behind the house. The rest of the yard was surrounded by acres upon acres of fields which we didn't farm, so we rented them to the neighbors who grew crops in them. But to understand this story you're going to need a little background info about my Dad.

When my Dad was young he had an older brother named Danny. When Danny was young he had bright blonde hair - in fact he looked a lot like my brother did when he was younger. One day when Danny was 14 he went on a fishing trip to the Mississippi River with his dad (my Grandpa). My Dad didn't get to go with them so he was left at home with my Grandma. He was playing outside in front of the house when my Grandpa got home: shaken and crying and yelling for my Grandma. While on the river, Danny had fallen out of the boat, and when he didn't resurface my Grandpa had jumped in and tried to find him, but couldn't. Danny had gotten caught in a current and drowned. Since then no one talked about him much. As in: I didn't know my Dad had had a brother.

Flash forward to when I was around 4 or 5 - young enough to be considered a young child but old enough to be left alone to play outside - I would occupy my time by playing in the woods. I would spend hours and hours off in the wilderness, and come home when I heard one of my parents calling me back. After one such adventure my Mom asked me what I do in the woods for all that time. And I responded:

"I'm playing with the little blonde haired boy."

While she may have been a little suspicious, she let it go thinking it's completely normal for a child to have imaginary friends.

Then one day my Dad got out the film reel projector because my Grandma had brought over some photos of my Dad's childhood to show us. Photos of when he and Danny were both young. We started flipping through the slide show, and all of a sudden I ran up to the wall pointing to the photo and said:

"That's him! That's my friend from the woods!"

To the astonishment of both my parents, I was pointing to a young Danny. My parents tried to correct me - this is when I found out about Danny - saying that was just my Dad's older brother Danny. But I was adamant that the person in the photo was the same person I had come to know in the woods.

I don't know if I pointed at Danny simply because he looked like my "imaginary friend" or if it truly was him I was playing with in the woods. I don't remember playing in the woods - I suppose I may have been too young. But I do remember the slide show. All I know for sure is I used to have a lot of weird stuff happen at that house, and in my opinion, anything is possible.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, indiglo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

indiglo (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-10)
LuciaJacinta, thanks for commenting! When Danny died he was 14. I've recently had to ask and see how old he was in the picture and I've found he was around 7 or younger. I would assume that to be the same age as the "boy" I was playing with for me to be able to recognize him. So to directly answer your question, no I don't think they were the same age.
indiglo (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-10)
L_Mak and AugustaM, thank you both for your comments! I found it really interesting to read both of your opinions. I don't know if it was a ghost, spirit, or a Djinn, but I enjoy reading what other people think it was and speculating on - and discussing everyone's opinions!
indiglo (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-10)
Melda, Thank you for your comment! I don't remember exactly what age he was in the photo. He was probably around 7, maybe a little younger. As for recovering his body; unfortunately they were never able to find him.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-03)
Interesting. What age was Danny when he died? Was he the same age as the friend in the woods?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
It is interesting, Indiglo, that you remember identifying the child you played with and not the playing. But perhaps not so mysterious - as a child, playing with another kid passes into the normal, no more noteworthy as a memory than brushing your teeth or eating breakfast. But identifying your dead uncle as your playmate - I figure that would stand out! 😁

I hope the little guy has since managed to cross over or has at least found other kids to play with- I hate to think of him wandering about out there all by himself.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
L_Mak, simply stating that you aren't a troll doesn't mean much. Those may be your beliefs on the subject but they are simply that -beliefs. You need to be respectful of the contributors to the site. Not everyone believes as you do. Many believe just as firmly that ghosts do exist and their spirits do on occasion return to earth and sometimes even interact with the living. Given the lack of scientific input in this particular field, facts are few and far between therefore we must all rely on our own observations translated through our own beliefs and theories and stay clear of dressing up our theories and beliefs (no matter how sincere) as facts. Stating what you believe is fine but don't phrase it as fact - that's when you cross into troll country.
L_Mak (9 posts)
-3
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Trust me. I am not a troll on this site. It's not ghosts. It's called a Djinn which can shape-shift and take many forms - often those of your loved ones / people you're acquainted with so that it can either manipulate you (evil Djinn) or just want a companion (good Djinn). Either way, they shouldn't interact with humans. It gets too complicated. People don't die and come back. People die and their souls are in the grave between a world here and the next. They don't come back to haunt you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-24)
Indiglo - As you don't personally remember playing with the little blonde haired boy it would be unreasonable to ask whether this little boy appeared as a "little boy" or as the 14 year old he was when he drowned.

My interest in this has been sparked by another account I read about half an hour ago titled "Visitation". Perhaps you can remember the approximate age of the child you recognised in the slide show?

Do you know whether Danny's body was recovered? For the sake of his family I hope it was so that they could lay him to rest. It must be so difficult to accept and find closure when the body of a loved is never discovered. I hope this wasn't the case with Danny.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: