You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Strange Man In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Man In The Woods

 

My name is Glady Mir, 23 years old. I'm Born and grew up in the Philippines. But now, I lived in Canada with my parents.

This is a story when I was 6 years old. I was in the Philippines and is taking vacation at my grandparents house in province called Aklan. Me and my parents usually live in City called Manila. But if there's no school or I'm on vacation, I will visit my grandparents' home and stay there until school starts. My grandparents' house is on the top of a mountain. So literally, you can't see anything but trees around it. The main road is 15-20 minutes walk from their house. Cars can't go in because of little space of the road due to trees. Motorbikes can go in but only half way through because it will be hard for it to drive up to their house.

My grandfather on my mother side is still alive at that time. Back then, when he was still alive, he usually takes me outside to take a stroll or sightseeing. I was his 1st grandchild so he always pampered me.

One day, it was in the afternoon, my grandfather and I were taking a stroll on the mountain. He was holding a big knife (usually for cutting weeds and branches in the woods that was in the way so that I can easily go walk on it) and a big sack. He said that we will try to find a fruit or vegetables that we can take home to grandma. I remember when we were walking in the woods, we came across this big mango tree. It's a big Indian mango tree that you can't even reach a branch of it. Usually most mango tree are short enough for people to reach its fruit to harvest, but this tree is not. And it has a lot of green mangos on it. You could say that it looks like it's the right time to harvest. So, after seeing that, my grandfather said that he will try to poke the mango from the tree using a stick that he found laying around, and that he will try to make it fall into the ground. And while he was doing that, he ask me that if a mango falls to the ground, it's my job to put the mango on the big sack that he brought.

So I was doing that when suddenly, an unknown man came to me. He was wearing a white dress and a blue jeans but, he's not wearing any shoes. He said to come with him and that he will show me something.

As a 6 years old back then, I didn't really know the words "don't talk to stranger". He's like in mid 20s, skin tanned, well you could say he's a little bit handsome too so, I go with him.

I don't know what happened but as I was following him in woods, we came across this huge house. Well you could say it's not a house it's a Mansion! And on top of that is a gold mansion. A gold Mansion! I remember when the door automatically opened like it's a censored or something. And when we got inside, man, even now I didn't believe what I saw but all equipment, all interior, the floor, the ceilings, table, chair, carpet, you name it. It's all gold. I mean literally gold! Like a gold jewelry. Well even the bookshelves and books are gold.

So when we were inside the house, there's a big staircase in front of the door where we came in. The staircase is like in the movies, it's wide enough for two cars to go in. So we went up, and after we got to the top I saw this long table.

The table is like what you saw in movies or in royalty mansion, with lots of chairs in it maybe 10 or something. I didn't really count it. But it's a long table with lot of chairs. There's different type of foods. Delicious food. It's like the food you served when there's any festive event happening like new year, Christmas, or anything. At the end of the table there's a open chair and an empty plate with utensils at the side and an empty glass.

The strange man ask me to sit on the chair. So I sit on the chair. Pretty much obedient little girl. After that he reach a plate on the table with lots of food and place it in front of me. On this plate, is a white rice. Well it looks like a white rice, like a white little grain but it's not. Why? Because it's moving! It's like a white tiny little worms moving on a plate. He offered it to me and ask me to eat it. And of course, as a child, what do you expect? I rejected it. I don't what to eat it because I saw it moving and I think it as a worm.

After rejecting his offer, he didn't say anything. He just said okay, and that he will bring me back. So I followed him, we went downstairs, and through the door. After I went through or outside the door, I don't know what happened but it suddenly went white, I mean there's a light that is so bright you can't see in front of you and you had to close your eyes. The next thing happened is when I heard my grandfather shouting my name.

And guess where I am? I was on top of the big Mango tree! And my grandfather whose shouting my name was under the tree looking around for me. After that, I called my grandfather, he turned around, and saw me above the tree. I remember seeing my grandfather worried and confuse face of how did I end up on the tree? That even my grandfather, a grown man can't climb it up by himself without some help. Since my grandfather can't reach me. He ask me to just jump down the tree and that he will catch me when I jump. So, I jumped the tree, and my grandfather catches me. He then pick his knife laying on the ground that time, and went on running carrying me outside the woods, and back to our house.

After we went home and everything is settled, my grandparents ask me what happened. My grandfather told my grandmother what happened in the woods while we were picking some mangos. That I went missing, he couldn't find me, and that he saw me on top of the tree. I told them about what happen. About the strange man, the big mansion, the gold things, and even the food the man offered me.

My grandmother said that she was glad that I didn't eat the food this man offered. I ask why? She said that the man that I saw might be one of the guardian of the forest, or a fairy of what the others called. She said that there is a saying that if this man or this guardian offered you a food and eat it, you will not be able to go back to the present. You will stay there with them and will remain missing forever. She said that maybe the reason the man approaches me is because he had a strong urge of feeling to make me his. My grandmother said that he only did that because he like me and want me to be with him. So he didn't hurt me or anything.

Till this day, I will never forget that experience. Even now, when me and my grandmother are talking about it. We just laughed it out and remembered the hysterical worried faces of my grandfather that time.

Oh, I forgot to mention... My grandfather and his friends decided to comeback where that mango tree's are to investigate and look into it. But to strange, the big Indian mango tree is nothing to discover. It's like it's gone and it's not there in the 1st place.

Other hauntings by FNoblesse

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FNoblesse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

kuwentoPH (4 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-02)
Dear FNoblesse,

I enjoyed your story and I would like to seek your permission to read it on my channel. Thank you in advance.
😊
chaos2 (10 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-11)
Westerners aren't familiar with stories like these, but in Asia, it's quite common, does not happen all the time, but there are several stories.

In Japan, they have stories like these as well, called kamikakushi or spirited away.

Maybe, just maybe, that is what happened to some of the people that disappeared in national parks in the US, without any trace, that were never been found, they've been "spirited away".
fence_sitter (4 stories) (27 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-11)
Hi beingtrish,

Your account on the replacement of the cadaver of your high school classmate's cousin with a banana trunk is quite common here in the islands of Negros and Panay --- however, local folklore stories indicate that this only happen to enkantos or fairies who assume human forms and die while living with us mortals. Is it possible that your classmate cousin was possessed by an enkanto? Just my two cents worth. Peace.

Regards,

Fence_sitter
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Oh my! It's good you didn't eat the food the man offered you. Similar thing happened to my high school classmate's cousin in the province in Philippines (around summer of 2003-2004) but it did not end well. Families and friends of hers (the cousin) believed she was taken by an "engkanto". She went missing and later on found her lifeless body laying next to a big acacia tree close to their home. According to the pathologist that did an autopsy to her body, they did not find trauma or any indication of diseases that caused her death. Just like what Amor have said on her comment, it's like she was just sleeping when they found her body by the tree. Local people believed an engkanto took her. After few days the body was replaced by a banana trunk but they couldn't find the body in the coffin. It's so similar to Amor's story, that I, had to share mine too.
fence_sitter (4 stories) (27 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-27)
Hi FNoblesse --- stories like these are common also in Iloilo and Panay --- the same region where your story occurred. Sometime in the 1990's, I had the opportunity to work with someone who had the same experience as yours, he was from Iloilo. According to him, it all happened when he was still 6 or 7 years old. One day while playing alone in their backyard, he was approached by a tall, white mestizo (i.e., Filipino-Spanish hybrid) who was garbed in shining, white coat and long pants. This man invited him to accompany him to their house in the woods where a feast was being held. He recalled quite clearly that the man had no groove on his upper lip (I believe it's called a philtrum) and had some apparent hypnotic powers since he almost went with him despite the queerness of the situation. The apparent spell was broken when he heard his mother calling out for him. He turned around to call back to his mom and when he turned to face the stranger --- the creature was gone. Just my two cents. Peace.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-25)
Hi, FNoblesse.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify your description. His garment, "a long T-shirt" that reaches "below his knees," is too long to be a classified as a barong tagalog (as far as I know). If this individual seemed at ease, perhaps that is the way he usually dresses. I've put this story into my "favorites" list because it is so damn peculiar.

Best,
Biblio.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-24)
Bibliothecarius,

Sorry for the confusion but by white dress, I mean literally white dress. It looks like a white T-shirt but a long T-shirt up to below his knees. I said that he also wear blue jeans because I also saw a blue jeans up to his feet.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-24)
Lady-glow,

About the sack, my grandfather didn't bring it with him. He only bring his knife with him and me when we go home. And when my grandfather and his friends go back to where the mango tree is, I don't remember him saying or mentioning about the sack. Maybe it get's missing or they forgot about it.

Till this day, I don't know if anyone saw that tree again. There's no one mentioning it so I guess no. I also don't have any news that there is someone missing there.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
Greetings, FNoblesse.

As I was reading your account, I presumed that by "White Dress" you meant a traditional men's "Barong Tagalog" of the Philippines. It is an embroidered formal dress shirt for Filipino men, which may have confused some readers about your choice of the word "dress." Sometimes, it is difficult to be precise in a foreign language because each word has shades of meaning; I know that the Philippines have 10 indigenous language groups (primary dialects, grammatical differences, etc.), in addition to English and Spanish.

Twilight's point about faeries "allowing us to see them when they want us to see them" is accurate, but there's another, related point: *how* they want us to see them. Faerie legends deal with a wide range of cultures, and in each set of lore there is a component of faeries shaping their appearances to their advantage, or just confusing the vision of people who see them.

It occurred to me while I read was that a golden building my look beautiful, opulent, or gaudy (depending upon context), but gold is a *really* awful construction material for houses. It's incredibly heavy, it is a soft metal, and one good lightning strike would fry anyone and anything contained in the building. I would not be surprised if the appearance of the location, like the physical appearance of the entity, was an entirely fictional construct.

That, in addition to everything Augusta wrote, is my reaction; if these events occurred as you say they did, then it was most likely a faerie spirit who wanted to keep you. Not eating the food was the right choice. There's a good chance that everything you saw, in addition to the Indian Mango tree your grandfather *also* saw, was an illusion designed to disorient you and to take you away from your family.

Interesting narrative.

Best,
Biblio.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
This actually really does have much in common with fairy stories from the British Isles. Traditionally, most fairies aren't particularly good nor strictly evil - rather somewhat mercurial, unscrupulous and lacking in a human sense of ethics. As they are in a sense ageless, you will often see stories where a fairy described as physically giving the appearance of someone in their prime (20s-30s) paying court to a human that in the mortal world would be criminally too young for them - but there never seems to be an intentionally pedophilic theme to the encounter. Perhaps that is because these traditions evolved at a time when dramatically May-December nuptial arrangements were fairly common amongst the elite particularly where alliances etc were in question. Presumably, a pairing between a fairy and a human would be viewed in the same light.

The theme of prohibition of the consumption of fairy food and drink may have its roots in even more ancient stories of characters like Persephone who defied all warnings and ate three pomegranate seeds while held captive in the underworld thus dooming herself to spend half of each year in Hades.

Give the cultural traditions of fairy stories from various locations around the globe that all seem to share certain threads on common... This story dies not strike me as entirely unreasonable.
unknownymous05 (12 stories) (16 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
Hi FNoblese,

Too long story but anyway thanks for sharing. I'm a Filipino too and I have a similar story like your story but this was happened to my aunt who already passed away. The entity didn't gave her food but a thing that she could use to help other. In the Philippines there are entities that are good and bad. I know stories in our province that entities made a good deed and bad things to other. Well I'm not going to tell here because I'm going to post it soon.

Thanks,
Unknownymous05
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
FNoblesse - I'm glad you have decided to participate in the discussion.

I know some Filipino people and have heard stories similar to yours but, I was told, the 'engkanto' always goes after a young woman. I mean, a man in his 20's is ways too old and there has to be something wrong with him if he's courting a 6 year old...that's just not right!

I'm curious about your following statement:

" it's my job to put the mango on the big sack that he brought... So I was doing that when suddenly..."

What happened to the sack? Did your Grandfather take it along when you two left the woods or did he leave it behind to retrieve it later? Were the mangoes you had put into it still there?

Do you know if anyone ever saw that tree again and/or had an experience similar to yours in that forest? Are you aware of any little girl or young woman going missing there?

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't get hurt and that your Grandfather was able to catch you without loosing his footing under your weight.

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
Twilight1011,

Yes, about what your saying "allowing us to see them when they want us to see them" I guess it's true. Because even though I'm with my grandfather that time, he said that he didn't see any man nor heard any conversation I had with the man when he ask me to follow him. My grandmother said that my grandfather didn't see the strange man because the man doesn't want to be seen by him.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
Cuddlebear,

I don't really know about the old legends of it. I don't really read any article about this experience I had. I only know that if you ask any older people in the Phillipines, particullarly the people who lives in the provinces, they will all say it's true. I don't know why they would say that but they believe it. I guess either they experience it or someone they know experience it or anything. It's just one thing I know... It happened to me.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
The concept of not eating food from Faeries is, I believe, an ancient concept. I associate it most with Celtic mythology but I believe it wide spread.

Whether or not that bit of information makes this tale more or less believable I can't say, but the tale is not new. Is there truth in the old legends?
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
FNoblesse, I'm so glad to see that you decided to comment 😊 I'm sorry for my very lengthy comment lol as I suck at making what all I want to say, short and simple. Honestly now I'm at a lost on what I wanted to ask lol, as it's still early here, and my brain isn't wanting to wake up yet. But I do think the theory of what happened, possibly having to do with something like a fairy etc, could very well be possible. From what I've read about them, it seems they have some other type of dimension they live in, allowing us to see them when they want us to see them. I know saying this out loud sounds crazy, but with what all I've seen on them, I really do believe it's a possible theory. As far as it being a good or bad one, that could have caused any harm if you were to do what it asked of you, I don't know. I know that even they have good and evil among them as well. I'm not familiar with the beliefs in the Philippines, so there could be other theories to what it could have been, but that's mine. I couldn't imagine having an experience like yours, and honestly I don't think I'd really like to have had that experience. Despite what it's intentions were with you, at least you were sent back unharmed. Thank you for sharing your experience with us 😊
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-19)
Hi FNoblesse,

There are stories in South-East Asia (Indochina) including Indonesia and Malaysia which have similar characteristics. Generally these entities are know as "Orang Bunian" in these parts (Bahasa Malayu / Indonesia), I'm not sure about in the Philippines. As with other "spirits" and "entities", I believe that they are demonic entities and that contact with them should not be sought nor continued.

I'm glad that your experience didn't end in any injury. Do visit my profile page if you want to know what I think of these entities in more detail.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Armor,

Well yes, it doesn't really look believable unless it happened to you. But, most older people in my country (Philippines) believes that this so called 'friends' of your cousin or 'the strange man' in my experience, are called "engkanto" or "fairy" in english. And that they're usually live in the forest they said.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Melda,

No, I didn't dream it. Because if I really dreamed it, maybe my grandfather wouldn't have freak out while telling the story to my grandma. And until this day, my grandma still telling that story to my cousins... Her other grandchildren.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Twilight1011,

That's... A long encouraging message. But, thank you. Really appreciate it. I put the "I won't participate in discussion" because I'm not really a talkative person, so I kind of pick the "I won't participate" option. I didn't really think too much to it. But if you have questions about the story, you can ask me and I will answered it honestly as best as I can. Thanks.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Well after reading about this OP experience, I hoped to be able to at least have a discussion about what they told us, as I wasn't automatically assuming that this is just a made up story. But when you read something like this, and than see that they choose to not participate in the comments, one can't help but think that it's because the OP knows what they're saying, is too far fetched, and others won't believe it, or that they have nothing else to say, as they made it all up. Which I hate if they are telling the truth, that they allow it to appear that what I said is true. Like I said, reading this experience, I did not assume that this was made up, and if the OP choose to actually be apart of the discussion, and answer others questions so that there's no misunderstandings, as well as giving people more information on what all happened, it would give more creditability of their experience. The way I look at is, with this site being a place to share with people about your paranormal experiences, it's not like they're not going to sound hard to believe, as it is paranormal, and pretty much hard to explain how what happened was actually possible, when there's no way to logically explain it. But commenting back to people, and giving more details etc, is what helps others believe that what they read, actually did happen to them. Basically I'm just saying, if this OP account is true, I hope that you'll change your mind on discussing it more with us, and not think that we're automatically going to say this didn't really happen. There's always going to be someone that's skeptical, but you can't let them be the reason why you don't at least try to help others understand what you said. I just hope that in the case of this being true, you'll at least consider what I've said. Otherwise if this isn't true, you could always join a site where you're able to send in your fiction stories, and you won't have to worry about being claimed a liar. I don't mean that to be disrespectful, only encouraging 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
lady-glow - I didn't notice that the OP wasn't prepared to participate. Why am I not surprised? The beautiful golden mansion but the worms in the rice, oh the worms 😲 I'm not allowed to vote for you by the way.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
"FNoblesse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion." 🙄

Still, I have to say it:

"He was wearing a white dress and a blue jeans but, he's not wearing any shoes."

Even with all that gold and glitter, he had no style nor shame, and he was a pedophile. 😨
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
FNoblesse - I realise that we are from completely different cultures so you must please forgive me when I say that I find your story a wee bit over the top.

I would love to escape to a mango tree, which hopefully won't disappear during my occupation of it, eat the fruit and hang out for a day or so, escaping the realities of the stressful lives which we all endure.

Maybe you dreamed this?

Regards, Melda
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Wow. I heard a similar story before! I always wonder about the veracity of it. My relatives in the province was talking about this distant cousin. She had similar experience! She was constantly invited over by strange friends who lived in a golden mansion. But she refused to eat any food on the table, especially a plate of black rice, which she was being offered with. She called the people her 'friends.' But one day, she disappeared. And the weird thing about it, she was said to have been found seemingly asleep in the forest. But she's lifeless. Ceremony was done and she was buried. But her mother was grieving and asked to dig her back up and check if she was still alive. They only found a huge cut down banana trunk inside her coffin. Weird. I always wondered if it's true. I was a child when I heard about it. But the similarity is uncanny. 😱😱😱

Good thing you didn't eat the food. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: