You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Cat Who Jumps On My Bed At Night

Real Ghost Stories

The Cat Who Jumps On My Bed At Night

 

This is the first story I have submitted here. It takes place in three cities: Norman, Oklahoma; Lexington, Kentucky; and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It begins in the 1990s and continues to the present.

I had a cat named Moonshadow, a silver Persian who was just gorgeous. He was the most dog-like cat I've ever had - very sociable, laid-back and quite bonded with me. He wasn't afraid of coming into a room full of guests to my home. I used to joke that he would stroll in, sit down in the middle of the room and look around casually, as if he had been smoking a joint in the next room. Moonshadow would sleep on my bed, but mainly he would wait until I turned off the light. He would jump up lightly, and I would feel him walk on the bed and lie down.

I was living in Norman when I came home one day and found that Moonshadow was walking funny, as if his front legs and his hind legs weren't coordinated. I took him to the vet, who gave him a shot of steroids. The vet said if it was a disk problem, the steroids would help within two hours, but it probably was a tumor. The cat was more than 13 years old, and the vet said these purebred cats tend to get inbred and are susceptible to cancer.

By the next morning, Moonshadow couldn't walk at all. I took him to the vet, who X-rayed but couldn't find a tumor. The next option was exploratory surgery, but I said no, it's time to let him go. I wept as he was put to sleep, and I buried him on a relative's land in the country.

A few nights later, after turning off the light at bedtime, I felt that soft pounce onto the bed, and I felt a cat walk across the bed. I turned on the light and saw nothing moving on the bedspread. I'm just sure it was Moonshadow, keeping me company. These visits happened on a regular basis.

A few weeks after his death, I was lonesome and got another silver Persian, but he had a more independent mindset and never slept on my bed, and I continued to feel my ghostly cat jump onto the bed after I turned off the light.

I moved to Lexington then, a few months after that, I adopted a second cat, who was much more affectionate than the silver Persian. I quit feeling the cat pounce on the bed; I suspect it's because the second cat slept there.

Those two cats lived to be 12-14 years old and they passed away a few years ago... And Moonshadow is back. About once a month or so, I will turn off the light to go to sleep, and as soon as I am quiet, those soft paws jump on the bed.

Other hauntings by moonshadowsmom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, moonshadowsmom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-14)
This happened to me a few times after I had to get my cat Mishy put down.

When I had him put down I was so upset because he was very loved and he would sleep on my bed every night.

It would happen real late at night or early in the morning when I was half asleep and half awake and I could feel a cat like weight jump up onto the bed, swear I heard a meow like "I'm here love me now." felt a pressure on my face like a head butt that he used to do then a pressure plop down next to me laying half on me.

When it would happen because I was so sleepy I forgot that I had put him down and I would softly stroke a cats fur like there was one there. I could even feel the warmth of the phantom cat and the softness of its fur!

To this day I believe it was Mishy comforting me when I was so upset over him being gone, he was such a beloved cat and it took me a few years to stop feeling upset.
moonshadowsmom (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-25)
Maxine, I'm so sorry for your loss of Yoda. Sometimes a special creature crawls into our heart and changes us forever. I hope you get a visit from Yoda someday.
Serenflipppity (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Hi Moonshadowsmom,

I too am a great cat lover. After having to put my first furkid to sleep, I'd vowed to never have another cat again. It was too painful to say goodbye. Though he's been gone for well over ten years, the mere thought of him still brings tears to my eyes, even though I now have three furry lovelies.

You are indeed blessed to have Moonshadow visit. Perhaps my Yoda has come but I'm a deep sleeper because he was most attached to me. When I'd leave the house he'd wail for quite some time and when I got home, especially late at night, I had to be lightning fast or else he'd wake the entire household with his crying - which stopped only once he saw me.

All my cats have been abused pets of neighbours I've taken from them or a walk-in who just made themselves at home. My three lovelies are the children of one such walk-in and I see their mother in some of their actions. Sadly she passed away a few months ago from injuries sustained from an unknown cause - I suspect a car knocked her over. She had too free a spirit and love being outdoors.

I hope to also add my pet encounter someday soon. Until then, I'm so happy for (and a bit envious of) those who get to experience that last cuddle or continuing visits.

May the fur always be with us.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience.

All the best, Maxine
moonshadowsmom (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Thanks, everyone. CuriousDee, I will check out your story. AugustaM, it sounds as if my story was perfectly timed for your sad anniversary. How blessed we are to share our lives with these fur friends.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Yesterday marked a year since I lost my darling little cat, Peanut. She too was only 14. I have felt her get on the bed a few times and caught little glimpses out of the corner of my eye. I would give just about anything to hold her again. You never stop missing them.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-18)
Moonshadowsmom,

How strange, I just shared a story about my own dog that's passed on doing the same thing. 😊 I definitely believe our pets come to check in on us. Thanks for sharing ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-18)
Welcome to YGS.

MS'sM - what a lovely story! ❤

It's sad to say goodbye to a fur baby, but it is so nice when they stick around giving comfort and company to their two-legged relatives.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, you'll meet several cat-persons in the site, myself included.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: