You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Daddy's Chirpies

Real Ghost Stories

Daddy's Chirpies

 

I had planned on submitting the experience of how my Yoda's whispers from the other side was instrumental in me adopting my new fur kid, Pirate, but I decided to give the trees a break from the tissue issues LOL. This narrative is my most recent experience. Though the setting is a religious one, it is by no means an attempt to force my beliefs on you, the reader.

15 July 2018

In honour of her deceased parents, my good friend and neighbour (let's call her E) had decided to hold a prayer meeting (of supplication for mercy and forgiveness). A local group of ladies would visit and lead us through the prayers. They occupied the one downstairs bedroom (cleared out for the occasion) and the attendees could choose between the bedroom and the lounge/dining room area.

It's customary to serve food and refreshments, and E had asked me to oversee the kitchen as her family (certain cousins) have the nasty habit of carting off the food long before those whom it was intended for even got a sniff of it. So there I was, with the assistance of another of our friends (let's call her S), apron on, doing the necessary preparations.

I had placed a tray of mini pies in the oven, S was frying the samoosas (a small triangular-shaped pastry case filled with a spicy mixture of vegetable, meat or poultry), and I was attending to the boeber (traditional warm Cape Malay milk drink made with vermicelli and sago, flavoured with cardamom, stick cinnamon and rose water). The prayers had since started and the boeber needed only occasional stirring, and the pies needed to bake for about 20 more minutes (no timer on the oven), I got caught up in the prayers. I'd been reciting along the entire time, but I really gave myself over to it then.

Through the melody of the prayers I heard someone say, 'The pies!'. I didn't respond immediately. A few seconds later there was an urgent tug at my apron, 'The pies, Choccie!'. I answered, 'Ok S, thanks.' To which she responded, highly confused, 'What are you thanking me for, Apo?' I turned around and looked at her even more confused: 'For reminding me to check the pies.' Now S was giving me that, 'you're messing with me look and I don't like it' and told me she hadn't said anything to me. 'Oh ok, sorry, it must have been E.' Now I was getting the 'you're flippen certifiable look' as she told me we'd been in the kitchen by ourselves the entire time. I shrugged it off as those pies needed to get out of the oven, and S did not attempt to unravel my 'crazy' moment.

During the prayer session, the ladies are seated on the floor, usually padded with blankets, covered with a white sheet, their shoes removed. Chairs are provided for the elderly and infirm. In the final supplication, anyone seated rises as special emphasis is made upon supplicating on behalf of the deceased.

There is a strong believe that it is during this time that the dead are more active amongst us, and I experienced it that day, though it didn't occur to me immediately. When I reflected on the day that evening, I realised the voice had been male and had called me Choccie, my nickname from my daddy, on account that I was not as fair as my siblings.

'Thanks daddy. Still looking out for me, I see.'

Other hauntings by Aporetic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aporetic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-09)
Apo, something that gets said a lot on here is 'as in life, so in the afterlife'. So I'm sure your Daddy was behaving just the same as he always would. That really does make it that much extra special, I agree.
Feel free to email me that recipe, and many thanks! Can't wait to try it. 😊
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-08)
Greetings BeautInside & Tweed, thank you for reading my account and your lovely comments.

Beaut:I was more disappointed than anything that I didn't immediately click it was my daddy. Perhaps I wasn't meant to, or I'd have been focusing on trying to hear his voice again instead of the purpose of the gathering.

Tweed: Had it not been for the pies, I'm sure daddy would have remained 'unseen'. He wasn't much of a talker when he was alive, I doubt his passing would have changed that. He was a thinker and voracious reader. I'd wondered how deep he had to dig for him to use his voice that day. That makes it even more special. As for the feast: boy, we know how to feed the masses lol If you like, I could email you the boeber recipe. Imagine your family's surprise and delight!

Regards
Apo
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-08)
Apo, somehow I managed to miss this in the list before, how odd.

This is so sweet and touching, thanks for sharing. I'm a big believer in the living's actions being able to open ways for the other side to communicate easier. So your prayer group made perfect sense to me.
Isn't it amazing that he told you about the pies. Something as every day and normal as that just means the world. I really loved reading this. ❤

Boy, what a feast you guys prepared. Samoosas remind me of my childhood, my Mum loves spicy food. That boeber milk sounds nothing short of incredible too.

Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming account.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-07)
Hi there Apo,

I love when these experiences cause this type of reaction! Just like you think somebody called your name and somebody really did, but that wasn't a living person 😁 You are so certain it came from somebody there with you that when you are proven it wasn't, you just have to accept it in a forceful kind of funny way. And somehow you have to swallow your theory. 😉

Your dad definitely knew what he was doing, otherwise no pies for anybody!

Thank you for sharing. ❤
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-05)
Greetings lady-glow

LOL That and he knew I'd NEVER serve something I wouldn't eat myself and he loved a good meat pie.

The E's and our family moved into the neighbourhood around the same time. They were not the house- visiting friends type. More the 'Hello, how's it going. How's the family' type, though when needed, they'd help each other (as did everyone, and still do as neighbours). The husband passed away close on 11 years and my daddy 5 years last month.

'Just imagine if, unknown to the people gathered there, a group of spirits were there too, perhaps praying for their living relatives.' I LOVE THIS PERSPECTIVE! I'm sharing it my E; she will appreciate it.

I'll submit Pirate's adoption experience as soon as I can set aside a block of time to type it up. Thanks for reading and your lovely comments.

Regards
Apo
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-05)
Aporetic - I guess your Dad didn't want you to serve overdone or burnt pies!
Was he, in his life, good friends with E's parents? Just imagine if, unknown to the people gathered there, a group of spirits were there too, perhaps praying for their living relatives.

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience, looking forward to read the story about Pirate's adoption.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: