You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Treasured Memories

Real Ghost Stories

Treasured Memories

 

I was so pleased to discover the YGS website, and after reading several stories I felt encouraged and safe to share mine. Safe, because from the comments, I saw a community of people who wouldn't think me crazy when I told them about my experiences (as has been the case when I shared with friends and family).

"You're imagining things."

"Your distraught mind is making you see things that aren't there."

"Shame, my dear, you'll get over the loss in time."

"A good story is one thing. Looking for attention with tall tales is just sad."

These are some of the comments I've had to endure, so I've stopped telling my 'tall tales' - until now.

Thank you so much for this platform.

My submissions are in no particular order, but I will try to date them as best as my memory serves me.

This account involves my first furry beauty, my cat, Yoda. Named so because when he flattened his ears, his resemblance to the Star Wars Jedi Master, Yoda, was remarkable. He turned out to be quite smart too. He could high five and low five LOL. My mom said if she hadn't seen it for herself, she'd think I was messing with her.

Yoda was very attached to me. When I went out of the house, I had to do so without him seeing me or he'd fuss - meouwing and scratching at the door for hours (my mom told me so and would scold me). When I returned home, I'd had to make sure I could scramble from my car as fast as possible to unlock the door or he'd kick up such a racket, waking up the entire household. His favourite sleeping spot was on my chest.

In 2007 I'd had to put Yoda down due to urinary tract complications that led to him struggling to pee and eventually passing blood. I could see he was in pain and felt it too. When he lay on my chest I'd feel his body spasm. The vet suggested an operation that could help but I didn't have the funds. After all these years I still remember the day so clearly and tears are pouring down my face as I write this.

I cried for days after saying my goodbyes to Yoda at the vet's surgery. In fact, I was bawling my eyes out as I left the surgery and sat in my car for quite some time crying. I didn't want another cat after that. It hurt too much!

For days after I'd still find myself looking for him and calling him, and when realisation hit me he was gone, I'd break down sobbing.

About two weeks after, I was woken by a wet feeling against my cheek. I woke thinking I'd been crying in my sleep...again, but when I reached to wipe away the tears my cheeks were dry. I decided I'd probably been having a vivid dream, and closed my eyes again. No sooner had they closed and I felt it again. A nuzzling moistness against my cheek. Hot damn, that was no dream. I'm awake. I opened my eyes expecting to find I'd somehow tipped over the glass of water on my bedside table, but it was still there - saucer on top.

I closed my eyes trying to wrap my head around what was happening when something soft caressed my cheek and the penny dropped.

Yoda did not like a using a litter tray. When he needed to do his business and I was lying down, he would stroke my cheek to let me know he wanted to be let out. If I was sleeping and the stroking didn't wake me, he would nuzzle his moist nose against my cheek. I remember calling out his name in disbelief. I'd actually pinched myself to be sure I was really awake!

Other hauntings by Aporetic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aporetic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-03)
lady-glow - Thanks for your kind remark 😊 I'll get down to submitting my experiences re some of my animals soon.

I read your two links quite a while back but enjoyed reading them again. Perhaps "enjoyed" isn't the correct word - I found them rather heart-rending 😭

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-03)
Aporetic - I really enjoyed reading all the short stories and updates to previous pet visitations shared by the posters commenting on this thread and, knowing Melda's magical pen (keyboard), I hope to read her experience/s soon.

I, too, came across this site while trying to understand my cat's visits after his death almost seven years ago, as described in my stories linked below:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=14419
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=18348

After all those years, Tom still comes to visit in my dreams, specially around his death's anniversary in August 20th.
I'm looking forward to this date!
tace (37 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-02)
reading about your loss had me in tears too. I had a dog I lost and he would visit me. When I came home I could hear his toe nails tapping on the wooden floor as he came to greet me. So very hard to loss our furbabies. That is my only ghost experience was Poquita coming to see me. This went on for weeks. Miss him still.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-02)
I shall consider myself duly spanked 😳 And I am so very glad you have a new fur baby to love! Life just isn't the same without them!❤
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-01)
Apo,

Aww shucks! Thank you so much! I try to submit when I have the time. 😜

❤ Dee
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-01)
CuriousDee, you are Deefnitely being added to my favourites. I'm looking forward to reading your other stories.

Go well
Apo
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
Aporetic,

Thank you for reading my story too. 😊 I look forward to your next submission ❤

Dee
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
CuriousDee

Thank you. I am off to read your experience as soon as I'm done here (and given AugustaM a spanking for making me cry!). And while I'm still plenty tearful and still miss my Yoda, I'm doing really well, thank you, and have another bundle of fur joy to cuddle with. Never forgetting Yoda who brought him to me. (Look out for another pet submission sometime in the near future).

Greetings AugustaM

The name Aporetic is sort of retrospective and a personal validation in terms of how far I've come since losing Yoda.

I'm so sorry to read about your Peanut and while I did not have nightmares I can relate to how you felt about wanting to rush to the vet. While I sat in my car crying I wanted to rush back to stop them from putting Yoda down, but I knew that would be so selfish of me - I'd just be prolonging the inevitable and his agony.

I had, thanks to Yoda, been able to open myself up sooner than I thought possible (a story for another day).

Consider yourself spanked for making me cry. I'm off to read your and Dee's stories now.

~Big thankful, grateful, teary hugs~

Thank you reading and your comment.

PS I'd learnt earlier today what the green and red arrow means. Time to mark your comments LOL
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
Augusta,

Darn it, your comment should have come with a tissue warning too! 😢 ❤
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
Aporetic,

No worries. If you're interested, I shared a story about a visit from my little buddy, Scrappy, a little while ago.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25598

I hope you are doing well ❤

- Dee
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
Hi Aporetic - great name choice though it seems to me like you are more open minded ❤

I know how it feels to lose a creature that means absolutely everything to you. Last year I had to have my baby, Peanut, put to sleep after massive seizures led us to discover that on top of her preexisting conditions she likely had a brain tumor. I needn't go into the details as they are all in my post that I wrote about losing her and my experiences thereafter (http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24502).

What I did not include in that account was the nightmares I had after that last trip to the vet of her waking up in the cold dark freezer where they had put her after confirming all her vitals had stopped. I woke up screaming in tears over and over - that first night my husband had stop me from getting in the car and driving to the vet's office to check, I was so upset!

A little part of me went with her when she passed away and I'm learning to live with that. I am tearing up now just thinking of her.

Animals are wonderful amazing beings and the love they give is worth the pain when at length we lose them. I hope you have been able to find the strength to start again - it is a fearsome thing to open yourself up to that hurt once again but until you do you are missing out on all the love and joy that comes with it. ❤

*hug*
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
CuriiousDee, please accept my apologies. My confusion is as a result of those comments not being about Yoda alone. I'm so sorry.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Aporetic,

Now I'm confused? In your story you stated:

"I saw a community of people who wouldn't think me crazy when I told them about my experiences (as has been the case when I shared with friends and family)." Followed by your examples of comments you've gotten - "You're imagining things.", etc.

In my comment, I said that I'm sorry your family (and friends) weren't open minded to afterlife visits from Yoda. Meaning - I'm sorry they didn't believe you were visited by Yoda.

Not sure why my comment didn't make sense? I meant no offense.
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Greetings CuriousDee

HUH? "I'm sorry your family wasn't open minded to afterlife visits from Yoda.". I'm so baffled by this comment that I find myself unable to say anything else for fear of sparking an argument as two nights ago I had a huge and ugly argument with my sister-in-law over a misunderstanding. No offense intended, however, I have now read my story over twice and I can't connect your comment to anything I'd written. I'm sorry.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Hi there Aporetic,

Welcome to YGS! I'm sorry your family wasn't open minded to afterlife visits from Yoda. It's a shame really, I think they and so many others are missing out on 'visits' too. I'm always happy to read or hear accounts of our fur kids proving they are still with us.

I think our pets teach us an important lesson: unconditional love. No matter what, they are there for us, never judging or asking for much, just our love in return. I was lucky to also have my little buddy 'stop by'. 😊

Thank you for sharing a beautiful experience ❤
- Dee
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Greetings BeautInside and Melda

Melda: Thank you for reading about my Yoda. I have more experiences to share (of the non-fury kind), however, because of the deep connection I had with Yoda I felt compelled (and so honoured and privileged that he came to check up on me) that I had to share it first. Please do share yours too. I'd love to read how the experience was for you.

BeautInside: My deepest apologies for the missing tissue warning. It was quite an emotional experience for me to write about Yoda, nevertheless, I simply had to honour and validate him. I'm sure he'd high five me for it LOL.

I'm so terribly sad to read that despite your best efforts, you were unable to save Yuri. I'd like to think our fur-kids know we always have their best interests at heart. It's so difficult saying goodbye to someone who brought so much unconditional love, pleasure and fun times into our lives.

Thank you for reading and your kind words.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Aporetic,

There should had been a Tissue warning at the begining of your experience 😉

It's always good when our fury friends come to visit, yes I believe they too have that ability.

We had a pet dog named Yuri that died from complications on the urinary tract, very similar situation. We could afford the surgery, so the vet did it... Unfortunatly, Yuri passed away 2 days later. Honestly I think we made him endure more suffering with that surgery. Maybe you not being able to afford the surgery was for the best. You did the best that you could.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience. ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
Aporetic - We seem to have quite a surge of animal experiences on this site lately! It makes me want to submit mine as well.

Those are such beautiful moments when your pets return just for a few seconds. You were fortunate to have experienced this. 😐

Regards, Melda
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
Greetings RCRuskin

Thank you for reading, and sorry about the tissue deficit.

I hope Smetana visits you for at least one last belly rub. Yoda's visit covered me in a blanket of peace and I think without it, I would have always wondered whether he was ok. I think he was more worried whether I was ok. If not for a follow-up visit from him, I would not have my new fur-kid, Pirate. I'll share that experience soon.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
And I am out of tissues right now.

When my last pet, a golden retriever we named Smetana because that was her favorite food, died, she sadly did not visit me. We had to put her down due to cancer and I remember standing in the vet's office, getting the news. It would have been less painful for someone to kick me in the belly with golf cleats on. (Smetana is Russian for sour cream.)

Remember the Rainbow Bridge. We'll see our friends again, soon enough.
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
Greetings lady-glow

Thanks so much for reading, and your kind words. I knew he was in a better place, but it was so hard letting go. I was so grateful for his visit and my tears are now for the privilege I had to have had in my life, though I still miss him fiercely.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
TISSUE WARNING!

Aporetic - welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing such a beautiful and bittersweet experience.

It is so reassuring to know that the love we feel for our fur-kids is reciprocated after they pass away.
I'm sure Yoda didn't only came to let you know he's fine, but, that his kidneys are well again.

Looking forward to read more of your submissions.❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: