You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Money Mysteriously Disappears

Real Ghost Stories

Money Mysteriously Disappears

 

For the last 2 years something has been happening to me that I can not seem to quite understand. I get scared every time it happens because I do not know why it has continuously happen to me. Lately my money has been disappearing so mysteriously and it is not someone taking it it's more of a something!

It all started on the day before my daughter's 2nd birthday party. I had just finished picking out our outfits and came to my parents house to talk about the party I remember settling my purse down at the table in the living room and going to kitchen, but when I was just about to get something out my bag it was gone I lost about $200 that day. I was angry hurt thinking how could my family steal from me the day before my daughters party.

2 months later I had went to a gas station to pump some gas I clearly remember having my wallet with me and on the way back home I thought about leaving my wallet in my car because of what happened with the incident before. I believed I could not trust my family, but when I went back to the car my wallet was gone. It was not under my seat where I had left it. I thought I forgot it at the gas station but the man had even said he saw me take it. I was devastated but blamed myself.

Later on I started to carry my wallet with me everywhere I went and settling it down without me in front of it but then money inside my wallet started disappearing. So much of my money has been disappearing almost every paycheck that even my family are starting to think I am forgetful and that I do not know how to take care of my money, but it is not that. Something is taking my money and I do not know why.

I've came to conclusion that it is not my family who is taking from me nor my friends because even when I am alone it is still GONE! I have direct deposit now but every time I pull out cash I would not be able too because this something keeps taking it away from me and I just want to understand why is it doing it to me!

I have lost my debit card recently and this year has been a rough year for me I had lost my debit card and cashed my check out. I put in a lot of hours and sacrifice a lot of my time. I counted my money and put the money in my wallet and hid it in the glove department, $750 was in my wallet. I must admit I was afraid to leave my wallet but did not want to think too much of it and just be positive; however, the next morning I woke up and got dressed to go to work I arrived and thought about grabbing a snack before I started my day I was so nervous about getting my wallet because I was afraid that it was going to happen again. I reach for the glove department grab my wallet and I noticed how light it was, I shed a tear and opened it to only find $15!

I keep thinking about what I have done for a spirit to keep doing this to me why the fact that it is only happening to me and why not anyone else that I know! Someone please help me I've encountered this way too many times that I want it to stop I don't know who to pray to or what to believe. Someone please give me some advice I cannot keep up with this any longer!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SweetEmma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Axy (1 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-29)
This is happening with me a lot... And Mt family is really stressed... Can someone please help
REDGREEN2029 (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-01)
Hi, SweetEmma. It seems that you're not the only one with this type of mysteriously distressing situation. My money has started to disappear from last year after I started my job as a waitress. This has suprised me at first yet I shrugged it off. Until this continued on and on, that I started to fear if I left my purse unattended, my money went missing. After all, I knew that everyone in my family would never have touched my purse or steal anything from it, not even my cousin would ever do such thing. Also, this can actually happen when I haven't even decide to spend my money yet. Sometimes, I tried talking to my cousin about this strange situation. Even though I told her the truth, she told me that I must've dropped my money elsewhere or I've spent it without thinking. This situation really bothers me every time I tried to think about it and this night is no execption. An hour ago, I was just minding my business (reading fanfictions and doing small sketches) while having my money in my hoodie pocket. While I was watching an anime episode, my hand slipped in the pocket and I felt that the money disappeared again. I quickly checked all my bags and my jeans pockets but there's no sign of my money anywhere. From then until now, I still can't figure out who or what's behind all this. Usually, my larger amount of money went missing slowly day by day until I'm left with smaller amounts at the near end of each month (Only the smaller amounts did not disappear, especially, in cent forms). I'm still fearing that after my next paycheck, this strange phenomeneon will still continue to haunt me. Can anyone please tell me what caused this mystery to start? Please let me know...
Vejune13 (1 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-30)
I never thought it happened to other people and we were going crazy with my family when this happened! Me and my family experiened money dissapearing after my sisters husband brought a doll he bought in some shop where they sell old stuff. My cat also started to behave weirdly, my family and even my friends who came by lost money, it all stopped when they took the doll out.
Anupriyag (5 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-16)
Hello,

I just wanted to share my experiences that happens often. Like I am watching TV and remote is in front of me and when I need remote, remote goes missing. Firstly I thought it is under the blanket or fell on the floor but after few minutes I find it just in front of me. I doubted on myself for not searching properly but it started happening very frequently like with wallet knife etc. Then I realized it is not normal and now I m used to it but never share it with my husband and family coz I know they won't believe me.
Regards
Prasad_R (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-16)
Hello SweetEmma! Was astounded to hear your story. Thanks for sharing.
My wife keeps complaining that her jewellery disappears and she cannot find anywhere, even after a thorough search. Days later, she finds it in a place she swears she never put there! Atleast, we are lucky it comes back!
In your case, losing money permanently is indeed very tough on you. Hope you receive some solution to the issue asap.
MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-14)
HI SweetEmma

Maybe try asking out loud for this to stop? It could be as simple as putting your request into the universe. If this is paranormal in nature, maybe the spirits simply do not know how important and stress inducing this is to/for you.

I can appreciate how frustrating your situation is.

Please let us know of any updates or if anything helped you.

Amanda
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-09)
Well, Brother Ruskin, I used to find five-cent pieces. In pockets when there wasn't anything before, my shoes, in drawers at work, on the footpath, on the bedroom floor or in the washing machine. It was odd. Rex-T would empty out his pocket change at the end of each day and put them in a brass bowl or a money box. I'd make sure all pockets are empty before washing.

A friend kept finding dimes in unlikely places. She figured out that some could have come from her own purse. She once kept a 'lucky' dime in her purse that had been coloured with a red pen. It went missing one day and reappeared in the cashier's drawer at the club where she worked.

Joss paper is another name for spirit or ghost money. I've seen devotees handle spirit money with care, saying prayers and reciting names of their family members as they burn their offerings. Not sure about the "fake money" aspect of it. I've heard stories from taxi drivers in Singapore about picking up a mysterious passenger and realising later they had been paid with spirit notes!

Maybe it's our earthly currency that seems like 'play' money to prankster spirits and that's why they fool around with it. Something to think about though.

Https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/Chinese_Customs/joss_paper.htm
Https://www.odditycentral.com/pics/ghost-money-currency-of-the-afterlife.html
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-09)
Mostly in reply to Jubelee: I had a jacket once, a nice blue and white windbreaker, that seemed to generate money. I'd start out the day with about $10, this was in the mid-80s, and get lunch, maybe dinner out, plus a snack. And when I returned home, empty out all my pockets, check receipts, and see that I had $14.53. Then a hole appeared in one of the pockets... I should have checked dates and other markings on the bills. Maybe I had quarters that had not yet been minted? 😁

I read somewhere, probably not in a reliable source, that the money and things offered to ancestors was called 'Joss'? If so, having some money just for them to use would be a good idea. So they take their money and leave ours alone.

But on the other hand, if it is fake money here, is it also fake money there?
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-08)
That's really upsetting to have your money mysteriously disappear. I'm not sure how or why that happens. But I've heard of people getting unexpected windfalls or have uncannily good luck with finding money. Could it be that's where the money's been going to?

When I was investigating ATM card disputes, I'd check for error codes that denote 'cash jam', do a reconciliation of the cash filled and cash withdrawn, and report any discrepancies to the bank. Sometimes, cardholders would be so adamant that the bank would simply reimburse them anyway. Haven, your experience has made me wonder if any of those could have been due to the money being 'spirited' away. 🤔

Augusta, your comment reminded me of seeing people in Singapore burn 'spirit money' in metal bins or making burnt offerings at a Buddhist temple. In the Chinese culture, it is part of 'ancestral worship', a way to show respect for deceased family members and to honour the memory of elder ancestors. Taoists and Buddhists celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival during the 7th lunar month, when they believe that ghosts or spirits are allowed to roam the earth. Among the rituals performed to placate wandering ghosts and ease their suffering is the burning of 'spirit money'. The burning is supposed to transmute the money and other offerings to become tangible to the spirits, enabling them to be used in the afterlife. If the spirits are appeased, hopefully it will protect people from bad luck and reward them with good fortune.
Https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/Chinese_Customs/taoism_ancestor_worship.htm

Emma - if you are thinking of burning spirit money, you might wish to tell whoever or whatever it is that this a gesture of goodwill, and firmly request to be left in peace. I hope you've gotten a few ideas that might help things improve for you.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-08)
Hi, SweetEmma - I've had money disappear too. I use to be really bad with money so every time I would notice that I was missing money I would always think that I must have spent it and just didn't keep track. Then, my financial situation changed and I needed to watch my spending very closely, that's when I was sure that I was not spending it. There were times where I had to talk to my children because I thought it was them taking it. They would be so genuinely upset and would swear that it wasn't them. They were at an age where they wouldn't be able to spend it on their own if they would have taken it. I went as far as searching their rooms when they were at school. I never found any of it. I also began to suspect my husband at the time but it didn't make any sense, it was technically "our" money, it affected both of us. What got me thinking there was something more to this was what happened one day when I was alone, the husband and kids were spending the day at the grandparents (his parents). I was in my bedroom working on our budget and had counted all the money I had and separated it and put it in different sections of my wallet. I had a $100 bill that I put in the nightstand drawer that was next to me, that was going straight back to the bank to cover other expenses. I never left the bedroom and stayed in bed folding clothes, that's how my kids and husband found me when they came home. I was talking to my husband and told him to stop by the bank the next day and make a deposit, I opened the drawer to pull out the money only it was not there. We turned that drawing inside out, looked under the bed, unfolded all the clothes that were still in the bed, we looked EVERYWHERE. That money never showed up.

A few months ago, I think around May 2018, I went to the ATM and took out $360. My friend was going to stop by later to pick up $300, I forgot for what, the other $60 was spending cash for me. So, I counted $300 put it aside and then counted the other $60 that I put in my wallet. When my friend got there, I took out the money and proceeded to count it in front of him. There was only $280, I thought I made a mistake and had put $80 in my wallet. I grabbed my wallet took out the money and there was only $40. I looked through my purse for a receipt and saw that the ATM transaction was for $360. So why was I missing $40? I didn't go anywhere after the ATM, I went straight home, plus I had counted the money and it was $360. I turned my wallet and purse inside out, ran to my car and looked everywhere. I called the bank and they confirmed I had taken out $360, they filed a dispute. A week later I got a letter saying that they were done with their "investigation" and that there was no mistake on their part. The bank had given me $360. So what the heck happened to the other $40?

If anybody knows how to get the money that goes missing mysteriously please let me know as well. I have lost so much money this way, I'm sure it's really added up.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-08)
Ok, this may be off the wall but bear with me. I knew that at some point, I had heard something about certain spirits needing monetary offerings. A little Google lead me to this article on spirit/ghost/ancestor/hell/heaven money.
Http://www.anthropology.uci.edu/~wmmaurer/courses/anthro_money_2004/GhostMoney.htm

It is a primarily Chinese tradition and you are in California, however, there has been a considerable amount of Chinese immigration over the years into that region - so the idea of potentially running across a spirit that holds to Chinese traditions in California doesn't seem impossible to me.

Perhaps, procuring some of this spirit money might be a good idea (I checked, both Amazon and Etsy have it - its less than $5/pack on Etsy). Maybe keep a bit of it in your wallet - perhaps the spirit will be inclined to take that instead. And maybe burn some of it as intended and say a prayer that whatever spirit is in play might be appeased and at rest. While you are at it, they do make prayer cards that can fit in one's wallet - I have seen them for a wide variety of religions and belief systems - one might provide a bit of protection. If you get creative, there are quite a few simple things that could be done in accordance with your own beliefs that might help and certainly couldn't hurt (i.e. Some view plants such as sweet grass, sage and rosemary to be protective- stick a bit in your wallet, some put their faith in saints medals or a spritz of Holy water or blessed oils etc). A personal cleansing/shielding according to your own beliefs may also be helpful. I say try a few things depending on what resonates the most with you.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-07)
SweetEmma - I understand your situation. The same thing has happened to me. I have never figured out the why part. Why would someone not living take my money? No flipping idea. If you want to read mine, just to help you realize you aren't the only one, here is the link https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24798
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-07)
SweetEmma ~

Just off the top of my head, since this is money missing, and not turning up elsewhere I tend to think there is some human agency at work.

In any event I have some suggestions:

Keep a log as to your money. A small notebook. When ever you get money record it, when you spend or loan it record it. Check your running total from time to time. More frequently was you begin this exercise, less frequently as the need evolves.

Limit the amount of cash you keep on hand if possible. Just obtain cash when you know you are going to need it. As ATM's are available 24/7 this shouldn't prove too much a hardship.

Just a question, do you only miss currency, or does change go away as well?

I wish you the best of luck with this very expensive pest and hope you can put an end to it, regardless of its origin.
Berggraf38 (3 stories) (23 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-07)
Wow, I hope you get it all back with interest some day!
Seriously though, there are a lot of similar stories on this site of money disappearing.
Maybe some people's spirits are still immature and materialistic after death and can't resist their new ability to steal so easily and without consequences?
I'd visit someone who can try to contact this spirit.
There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site to point you the right direction.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-06)
Hi, SweetEmma. Like many people, I can relate to the experience of money just vanishing, or seeming to. For some, it is carelessness. For others, something else is at work.

I'd prefer to rule out more mundane explanations before claiming that spirits are taking your money, but at the moment, I can't think of any reasonable test for such a thing.

Hopefully, who/whatever took the money will pay you back with interest.

As a P.S.: I don't like carrying cash around generally. If I lose it, I'm out the money entirely. If I lose my debit and/or credit cards, I can call the issuing bank to get them locked and replaced.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: