You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: It All Started With A Possessed Table

Real Ghost Stories

It All Started With A Possessed Table

 

When I was in 6th grade (so like 12 years old), I was invited by one of the popular girls to her slumber party for her birthday, and I was very excited to go because it was my first year at a private Catholic school and I was still trying to make friends. Everyone was looking forward to one girl coming in particular (she'd switched schools so I'd never met her before) because she was bringing her special table to the party. They said this table could answer your questions, but I've always been skeptical by nature and so I was doubtful but I just rolled with it.

The night of the party, this girl we'll call April arrived with her table. It wasn't anything spectacular, just an old fold up square card table that had belonged to her grandma. It had a vinyl covering on the top that had a wood grain pattern, with a large diamond shape in a different pattern of wood grain, and yet another wood grain pattern inside of that. After the usual eating of pizza and watching of movies, we went upstairs to the birthday girl's room where April set up her table. Everyone gathered around it and they explained to me that you had to close your eyes and concentrate, while lightly resting 2 fingers on top of the table and repeating with everyone in unison "rise table, rise table, rise..." over and over. Obviously I didn't take it seriously and giggled through it while everyone else was serious. And then? THE TABLE ROSE UP ON 2 LEGS AND JUST HOVERED THERE. The 2 legs had to be at least 12" off the ground. I was obviously stunned when I opened my eyes and looked for any possible explanation as to how this was possible, but there was none. As long as we kept our index & middle fingers lightly on top, it stayed like that.

The girls started to ask the table random questions, and if the answer was a "yes", it would lower the side that was raised up and almost touch the ground, and go back up and wait until the next question. If the answer was a "no", it wouldn't lower and would just stay raised up. Of course we asked stupid questions but the thing that really struck me was when they tried to guess which boy I liked (okay stupid, but I was 12!) and I can tell you that NOBODY knew who I liked as I was the new girl and kept it to myself, and as they guessed different boys - this table did not indicate a "yes" answer until they finally got around to asking if I liked the boy I actually had a crush on! How did it know? No one knew and trust me, I was discreet about it.

Things turned darker after a while, and we tried to ascertain the origin of whatever was actually communicating with us. It felt like it was sucking us in deeper and deeper. We were tired and tried to say goodbye to it, but it wouldn't let us and seemed to get angry because it started to move up and down violently when answering a "yes" to our questions. The girl, April, had told us the one rule was that you couldn't just take your hands off of the table - You had to say goodbye properly and release it. Through asking yes or no questions, it said that it was a young child who still slept in a crib (red flag! How could a child that young understand any of our questions really?) who was smothered in aforesaid crib in the 1800s in England, and it wanted us to travel there to find its bones and bury it properly. Somebody asked it eventually if it knew who Jesus was, and it gave an answer of "no", and then when someone took a Precious Moments crucifix off of the wall and set it on the table it shook violently to knock it onto the floor. And that was pretty much enough for me at that point. Of course I couldn't sleep later (while everyone else slept soundly) and I was still scared even when I went home the next day.

As an adult in my 30s now, firmly rooted in logic and reason, when I look back I have more questions than answers. All I can say for certain is that this DID happen just as I've written above. It was no illusion, and nothing that the 10 of us collectively imagined that we were experiencing. I believe it was something very sinister that tried to suck in a bunch of little girls by pretending it was a child. Who knows what it wanted (nothing good!). More than anything for me, this first experience opened a door for me to have many other ones, including things like my talking candle, which perhaps I'll write about some other time on here. What do you think it was? Have you ever heard of or seen anything similar?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Starr347, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-15)
Hi All,
The table tipping, in a crude way, works in the same manner as a Ouija Board. You can decide where that energy comes from. 😁 There is some information that would suggest this is a Quantum Mechanical effect; though, it doesn't reduce the mystery of what happened. In any case, an interesting account and as the OP said, the information was accurate. I remember an account in a book, forgot the title, where a group of people made up a fictional ghost and got a table to react.
Best,
Rob
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-24)
My friends and I used to do table tapping when we were pre-teen and teenagers. It worked, but nothing as dramatic as what you experienced.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-05-23)
Starr347 ~ Greetings and welcome!

Table Tipping (or turning or tapping or...) is a very old device used by mediums who have largely been debunked. Many scientists believe that this can be caused by involuntary muscular movements by the participants. Many magicians have demonstrated a variety of ways that this can be faked. And it has been fooling people for a long time, at least two hundred years.

Granted I wasn't there so I can't say for certain, but if an illusionist can create the effect, I tend to believe this was not a supernatural event. Also given that there seems to be lingering effect.
Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-05-23)
There are stories of spirits attaching themselves to objects - possibly what's happened here.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-05-23)
Table-tipping goes back a long time and has recently lost its popularity among the paranormal research community. All I can say is anything that reacts violently to the presence or contact with a religious item or artifact cannot possibly be benign.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-22)
Hi Starr347, I don't know what you were dealing with but I did experience something similar a few years back. As far as I was told it is aptly and simply called table tipping.
Here is a link to my encounter with the phenomenon, on this site, https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24149

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: