You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: We're Not Alone in this House

Real Ghost Stories

We're Not Alone in this House

 

In 1991 my parents decided to move our family across the country to a small Northern Michigan town. My dad claims he found the perfect house for us to live in. It was an early 1900's Victorian home. The previous owners did a little remodeling to the home, an addition to the back of the house that held the new kitchen and the green house, a five stall garage was also added to the home.

With the U-haul and our station wagon packed, we headed from California to Michigan. The drive was long and being 7 years old with 3 other siblings in the car, we drove my mother crazy. We turned onto our road and noticed that all the houses seemed old. There were enormous Oak trees lining the road. Our house was the biggest one on the street, and looked the most haunted. The house was a pale yellow with white shutters. The house had a huge wraparound porch, bay windows, and it was huge. The price was steep, but it was the perfect size for our family of six.

My older brother bolted from the car first, running up the front steps, and yelling for someone to get the key to open the door. I grabbed the keys from my dad, and ran for the house. When the front door opened, we entered the foyer, which was a two story room that overlooked the massive wooden staircase leading up to the second floor. The four of us kids darted up the stairs to claim the best bedroom. After we chose our rooms, the moving crew started taking our things to our rooms. The first week, we unpacked our belongings. The house was starting to look more like ours with our furniture in it.

After everything was unpacked is when I started hearing noises. My parents passed them off as the old house settling. Our house in California was newer, so there weren't the usual old house noises. The third week there, I was woken up to a loud thud coming from the hallway outside of my bedroom. I got out of bed to see what it was, only to find nothing. I asked my brothers the next day if they had heard anything, the hadn't. The following night, I was awaken out of a dead sleep after my blankets were ripped from my bed. I yelled for my parents, who came rushing in, and passed it off as a bad dream. Again, my brother's (ages 5, 9, and 13) did not hear anything.

A month had passed without any unusual experiences. Then at breakfast, my 13 year old brother claims that he saw a woman wearing a red blazer and glasses was sitting in his room during the night. He flipped on the lamp, and she vanished. My parents told him to stop watching T.V. at night. A week later, I experienced the same thing, the same woman was sitting on the edge of my bed, humming a lullaby.

My parents did not believe any of this, and claimed that we were making things up because we missed our friends, and we wanted attention. My mother finally believed us when she walked out of the laundry room, and bumped into a man in the hallway. These things became normal for us through the next couple of years.

When I was 12, we had a birthday party for my brother. Their friends all refused to come over due to the haunted house. After I witnessed a man walk through a door, and things started to get out of hand, my mother wanted clues. My older brother who was now 18 and had moved out of the house to go to College, and his girlfriend came to visit over a break. His girlfriend went to use the bathroom, and when we heard a loud scream, we knew something had happened. She came out and said that someone had slapped her across the face, a woman in a red blazer, she didn't know who it was, but she was in the bathroom when she went in there.

After doing research, we found that the family who built the house had 4 boys. The parents and the children were in some sort of accident, and all 4 boys were killed. Later on, the father died in a tragic accident, and the mother, after losing everyone, took her own life.

We have come to believe that the reason why the woman is always in us kids' rooms, humming lullaby's or watching over us, is do to the fact that she is watching out for her "boys..."

The ghosts in our home have come to be a part of us, they are normal, and knowing their names, anytime we see them, which is often, we call them by name. They never respond, and they never harm us. We do hold the best Halloween parties though!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jason McGrath, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
Great story. Whenever I try finding the history on the house I live in I can never find any. How'd you find yours?
jasonmcgrath (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
Hey everyone. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to everone. To make things a little more clear, I am not saying that I do not get startled or scared when I see something, or someone, in our house. I am saying that it's become a natural thing, and when it does happen, we just go about our business. I mean, who wouldn't get startled, or a little bit scared when you're walking and see someone standing there out of the corner of your eye? Yes, my heart does race when this happens, but I don't let it get to me anymore. And also, about the Halloween parties, I only meant that because everyone has the haunted house image implanted into their heads, so the spookyness was all the better around that time, that's all. And yes, this is all very true, nothing made up.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hi whitebuffalo. Thanks for replying to me. First I should say that I wasn't making any kind of statement about Jason's story, it's just the way the comments headed. I was kind of wondering, since I'm not scared by the things that happen to me, maybe people thought I was full of it. (If I was full of it though, I'd go for it in a big way, not the boring little events I have submitted. I own every Stephen King and Dean Koontz book ever written (even the old pen names!) I've read and re-read anything in the horror genre and my library is overflowing with other titles like 'Evil Intent' and '666', and I watch and re-watch every scary movie I can get my eyeballs on, so I could probably toss off a pretty scary tale) Everyone seemed to be saying that if you weren't scared by your experiences then you didn't really know what you were talking about. The things that happen to me are pretty ho-hum, yawn and I'm so used to them that there's no way I could be afraid. I didn't want everyone to think my stories are not true. Now some people have experiences that would curl my toes, ahem, like yourself. Anyway, thank you for making me feel better about it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Nope, Belle, I would not say you were disagreeing. You said it yourself that things still scare the bejeezes out of you.
See, we at times have lots of activity too. Sometimes not so much. But I am still STARTLED when I have an experience. YEARS after living with these unexplained things, I still am not completely comfortable with them.
The story may be completely true and Jason is just at a higher level than most of us are here in the understanding of these entities and therefore no longer feels anything but comfort. As for me, though, I am still scared at times.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Jason. Hi Everyone. I'm not sure that I'm actually disagreeing with all of the replies because I have things happen all the time in my house and I'm not afraid at all. The reason I'm not sure if I'm actually disagreeing is because of the level of activity. The things that happen here are shadows out of the corner of my eye, sounds of someone walking (main floor and upstairs when no one else is home), I saw a small ball(?) of light moving in a small figure 8 shape beside my foot and for a while there I had pennies and other small shiny-type objects showing up all over the place, my pets have stared at a single spot and you can't get their attention and my dog has flipped out barking a couple of times while staring up the stairs at nothing. My kids see shadows and hear footsteps and the odd bump or doorknob turning and every now and then my hubby sees a shadow or hears the footsteps too. One time there was a tremendous crack that seemed to come from the front wall of my house, inside or out, I'm not sure but I couldn't find any explanation for that and THAT scared the living bejeezus out of me. I had one single experience when I was an early teen that scared me really badly. When we first moved into this house I swore it was my just deceased brother-in-law (I have several "Uncle Rocky" stories on here) and I never felt frightened (except the loud crack). We used to say things like 'Rocky, give it up' or 'cut it out'. I've had a couple of experiences with a couple of my clocks as well. Now I figure it's not all Rocky but I still feel okay with things. I would really, really like to know what you guys think about this so please feel free to let me know. I've wondered at a few stories where things happen frequently and the person is scared, I don't understand why they are scared if it's something that is harmless, nonthreatening and a pretty regular occurrence. I realize this is very long, sorry Jason, but I have relayed my experiences in my stories to the best of my ability and I really don't feel scared or threatened by the things that happen here. It's just the way it is and I accept these things. Please, please tell me honestly what you think of that, I really want to know. Oh, I should say that if things were flying around and there was moaning and groaning, scary figures at my bedside and ghosts staring at me with evil faces and red eyes I would be terrified! Don't get me wrong there, I'm not a fool. You know when you're watching a movie and the young chick is just getting ready to go back into the house right after Leatherface or Jason or whoever has just finished slaughtering all of her friends? And everyone is yelling don't go in the house? Well, I wouldn't go in the house, I'd run like hell!
AllieRN (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Jason.
I have to agree with the others. It is a good story, but, I know from experience that encountering anything paranormal is absolutely freaky as heck! I have had many encounters in my own home and although I can't say I have felt usafe or threatened, I have been totally unnerved by these occurances.
AllieRN
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
i know that when I go ghost hunting with my partner, we are always a little unnerved by what we see, but you must not let the spirits know you are scared of them otherwise thaey may take advantage of this. My first encounter with the paranormal was a feeling of shear terror. I agree with everyone, you can't get used to the fact that there are spirits in your own home.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
I know when my children and I lived in a Haunted Trailer, we knew something was there with us. And yes we did get frighten when anything happen. So I agree with Frawin and Whitebufflo. We can learn to live with what ever is in our place. But it to be a norm thing that happens. Well I like to think nothing is normal in a house like this.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
What?! Too harsh? Let me read through that again. La-La-La, hmmm, hmmm, nope, still got the same reading there. Honesty may seem harsh to some, but I would rather that than someone trying to take credit for something seen on the SciFi channel.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
...I was too, harsh. Maybe you guys are cut from sturdier stock and this is credible. Hope to hear more detailed accounts soon.

Thanks for sharing, Jason. 😁
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Time to beat the dead horse:
One is never "used to" being addressed by unseen forces. Period. You just don't--it's unnatural and startling. In fact, it's often absolutely terrifying and the MOST frightening occurences usually result in occupants moving out, which is no small feat.

In my family's home, we had a few spirits that seemed non-aggressive, in a few cases, even nurturing. Nonetheless, their arrival and actions were ALWAYS scary, usually petrifying.

I'm not sure how Halloween parties factor into this. Too convenient, if you ask me.

Enjoyed the well-written tale, anyway.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
I too live in a very old (1886) victorian house that use to be a convent. I don't know if we have spirits but if we do they are not letting us know their presence. Being that nuns once lived here I'm sure there are none still hanging around here. Well that's not entirely true. Once I thought I saw a figure in black and white garb with a hand on the stairway bannister as if ascending the stairs. It happened so fast I'm still not sure I just didn't imagine it. There has also been a few other events but nothing concrete. I think these old houses hold some form of residual haunting and if the conditions are right we get a glimpse.
How tragic for someone to lose their whole family and then end up taking their lives. I can't imagine surviving that kind of heartache intact. It's not a wonder that poor woman took her life. They say we are never given more than we can bear but there are asylums and graves filled with people that just couldn't cope.
Glad to see you all took it in stride. I don't know if I could be so accepting. Great story though and well told.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
I am afraid I must agree with the others on this story. When these 'occurances' become common place, well... It is simply not within our nature as human beings to accept the unknown, unsee, and unexplained. Hmmmm...

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hi Jason,
I do hope that you did not mean that your mother literally bumped into a man in the hallway.
Boy, I tell you, though. I am with FRAWIN on the thought that even though we live with these experiences almost daily, we have not yet learned to get used to it. Something new and different always puts a twist on something that we thought we had a handle on. And ghosties get quite creative, so we know chills are just around the corner and something we have never encountered previously awaits us there.
When I read the description of the house I immediately thought of the Casper movie. I would bet there really are great Halloween parties there.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
The only doubts I have with this story is the participants reactions. Having grown up in a haunted(I prefer to call it a spirit filled)house,I can tell you that you never "get use to it" nor treat it like a normal happening. It startles and scares the hell out of you each time something happens, leastwise it did us.
I did enjoy the story, thanks for sharing with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: