You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: What Is Up With My New House?

Real Ghost Stories

What Is Up With My New House?

 

Let's get a few things out first off, I do not believe in ghosts exactly, although I do agree that the energy that leaves a person at death can't be destroyed and doesn't just disappear. I just don't know where it goes. I also would like to think myself as someone that does not get intimidated easily. I work at a maximum security prison, in the segregation unit and hold my own against unknown threats pretty well. That being said, I'm at a loss in my new home and I am willing to be open minded on how to peacefully exist here.

I moved into this gorgeous home that is recently partially renovated (I'm renting from a friend). By partially renovated I mean they put in new wiring and light fixtures. The hardwood floors, the cabinets in the kitchen, the wood molding even the interior doors are all original to the 115 year old house (and it is beyond beautiful).

The first night there was some odd creaking on the floors, but I blamed it on the foundation "settling" as it does need lifted still. After the 5th time a seemingly latching cabinet door in the kitchen swung open loud enough I heard it, I went to my sister's house and picked up my cat who wasn't moving in just yet originally.

A few days passed with the occasional odd noise, and the occasional cabinet door opening when it usually stays latched but nothing major other than my cat acting agitated out of nowhere (most likely due to the move when the house isn't set up yet). A family member came to visit for a few days about a week after I moved in, and commented about a sliding door that was recently installed on the living room archway constantly being open even after she closed it. I told her it was probably my cat but she insisted he was with her at least one of the times. I blew her off as either the cat or the fan was blowing it open, easily explained.

That night I was sitting on my couch watching TV with my cat on my lap sound asleep and purring. I suddenly heard heavy footsteps coming from the kitchen and walking towards the living room. I wear boots for work and it sounded like my boots do when I walk around, just really loud. I was trying to figure out why my guest was awake at 2am let alone wearing shoes as I called her name. The steps continued moving about the kitchen and I heard a snort from the bedroom. My guest was sound asleep in bed. Okay creepy, but maybe I'm imagining things or something.

That day around noon I'm again watching TV my guest is on the couch with me and the cat is in the kitchen using the litter box when a painting I had hung up abruptly "jumps" off the wall and smashes. I decided it was a faulty nail and picked up the glass and set it aside to be reframed but my guest decided it was time to leave then. 2 days later I get home from work at 0230 and find every single door in the house wide open when I went through and latched all of them on my way out for work. I ignored it figuring the home owner came to do some work on the house (the next day he stated he had not been over since I moved in as he has been planting his fields) and closed all of the doors again. As I was trying to sleep I kept hearing the squeak of the doors opening and figured I needed to turn the fans down, but when I woke up they were all wide open and my TV was on which I definitely did not turn on and the remote is kept in a drawer.

Weird things like this have been going on almost daily since. Doors opening, cabinets opening, floors sounding like someone is walking on them, things falling off the walls, and strangely enough my Google home will suddenly start asking me to repeat my command when I hadn't said a word in minutes.

Fed up, I finally looked to see if anyone ever died in this house but the records only go about 50 years back on location of death so there are 65 years unaccounted for.

I was staying happy with explaining it away until about 3 hours ago. I was asleep on my couch, my cat is asleep in his cat bed and my dogs are with my sister at her house. Suddenly my blanket gets ripped off of me and the door to my room (which is off the living room) slams shut hard (I would find out that it slammed shut hard enough it locked).

While I was trying to figure out WTF happened and was reaching for my bedroom door to open it I hear the creepiest noise coming from my room. It sounded like a mix between an old gas stove roaring to life and a dogs growl. I froze and suddenly felt extremely cold, got goosebumps and kind of panicked for a moment. I got myself together and spent about 30 minutes trying to unlock my door.

When I got the bedroom door open finally I found my closet door wide open and random items knocked over and my quilt on the floor. I was picking up the mess looking for a wild animal or something when I heard a creepy hiss that made me freeze up again. As soon as I could remember how to move I took my cat and locked the house and went for a late night fast food/comfort food run. I'm now home again refusing to be scared of my house but everything feels super uncomfortable and strange. It's almost like that feeling you get when there is free floating anxiety that you aren't addressing.

Anyone got any take on what's going on here? This house was built in year 1804 and saw this town grow up around it. I love this house and plan on buying it once my lease ends, but I don't know how to handle this situation. I can't explain tonight away, and I'm at a loss.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fralto, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-13)
I forgot to ask, what was the picture/painting of that flew off the wall? Where did it come from?

How are things lately?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-13)
It seems as though you have gotten some fantastic advice already so I have very little to add - my chief reason for commenting is just to say that you are wonderful for thinking to grab the cat on the way out when things started going sideways ❤ *hug*

Aside from that and addition to the tried and true cleansing methods already recommended, in general, the best way I know to combat evil is with good. Fill the house with items that make you feel happy and proud - a baseball glove from when you were a kid, pictures of a childhood hero, pictures of family, keepsakes, art that speaks to you etc - absolutely everywhere and anywhere you can work it in. Fill the home with light - open windows often as you can (within the bounds of what is safe for the cat, of course). Keep things orderly - as disorder can cause depression. Do things that bring you joy and give you to other people - if these things can be done in your home, even better. The more good you can flood into that house, the less appealing it will be to any baddie floating about.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-27)
I've spent the past 10 years fretting over air flow due to health reasons, and read much literature regarding how CO2 toxicity & low frequency sounds can induce panic attacks and feelings of being 'haunted'. My interpretation of these experiences is that, while it feels scary, perhaps, if there is a spirit, that spirit is trying to protect you from something. Perhaps your bedroom is not a safe place to sleep right now, due to air quality, vibrations, and/or sounds (esp considering that wiring is new and may not be entirely kosher with the original housing layout). Bear in mind that renovations often mean new fumes as well as some potential run-ins with uh, 'compatibility'. If it were me, I'd probably open up everything, and just slowly ease each door slightly closed bit by bit. Probably get some plants, open some windows, get some UV light in there. Old houses really need UV light to kill off mildew and mold and such. It seems a little odd to me that you feel the need to close every door. I close certain doors in my house because certain rooms need to off-gas a bit before I can really handle them flowing through my regular living space. What's going on in this house that you feel like you have to shut spaces off? Why does this spirit feel like that's the wrong thing to do? If I were a spirit, I'd be freaking the eff out someone wanted to obsessively latch everything closed. The new installations need to off-gas, even (especially) if they're walled in. Let some light in, get some plants, burn some (unscented) candles, open some windows, and play some nice music. Those are my suggestions. Just get a nice happy healthy vibe in there. 😊
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-18)
Fralto:

It's good to know that your house's activity has settled down after the cleansing. However, am I right in thinking that *only* the doors have stopped moving? If there are remaining footsteps, hisses, low-flying paintings, etc., there is a need for you to take care of more issues. Cleansings usually remove *negative* activity and spirits of evil intention; positive/harmless spirits are usually unaffected.

If there is still unpleasant activity or a negative atmosphere, you'll need to repeat the cleansing ritual. Like getting ketchup out of a white shirt, you sometimes need to give everything a second go-around. If the doors have stopped but the other activity has increased to compensate, then you'll be safest by going through a second time.

HOWEVER, if the doors & such have stopped and you don't have any *negative* experiences, then you may wish to try just talking to the spirit (s) present. I do NOT mean a ouija board; I mean that you can stand in the middle of the house, speak aloud about your plans to buy the house and to move in, and that you'd like to feel safe there. Good spirits may remain and --as long as they don't bother you or the cat-- you're willing to share the house with them.

Caution: you may feel stupid having the above conversation with an apparently-empty house, but don't let that stop you. If there are harmless residual or sentient spirits, they'd like the reassurance you don't intend to get them exorcized. People are usually nervous before a big change; harmless dead people are still people, so they need to be treated as such. Take care.

Best,
Biblio.
Fralto (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-18)
Biblio-

I apologize for the mistyped date the house was built in spring 1904 and is the oldest on my town. It is not divided into apartments but kept as a single family home which I rent alone.

I have had a friend come in to do a cleansing ritual on the house since this and the only difference was that the doors to the rooms stopped randomly opening.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-17)
Hi Fralto welcome to YGS.

I would like to tag on to LuciaJacinta's suggestion in the first post and say that you would do well to visit a Christian church if you're Christian (actually also even if you are not) and seek help from the pastor / priest there. I believe that options 1 and 3 that Biblio listed are both the possibilities here.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-17)
Gave you a plus, thumbs up Biblio but I had to giggle at your number 2 on the bigots, racists etc...haha. Yeah that could be. I think there are all sorts of once living people, bad ones, sad ones, regular ones, even good ones who just get lost or mad that they are dead and try to get attention for help or comfort... I guess I'll find out one day when I go to the other side who's behind the naughty stuff...

But that's an interesting fact about the oldest house there. Interesting. Maybe OP got some info mixed up.

I'm also wondering about the people in the shared house. Did they ever experience anything? Do they know anything more as to why? Is there place remodeled too?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-17)
Greeting, Fralto, and welcome to YGS.

Before I offer any guesses as to what is going on, would you mind confirming the age of the house? Presuming that your statement that it is a "115-year-old house" is correct, it was built in 1904. The *oldest* house in Nebraska was built in 1830.

The level of activity you describe is far beyond an "acceptable" quirk of living in an older home. Is your friend, from whom you rent the home, aware of the peculiar behavior & terrifying phenomena? Do you know any of the history of the home? City records can be very useful in discovering the history of a property (particularly land registry and property tax records).

I have read/seen/heard of similar levels of activity with two types of supernatural behavior: 1) poltergeist phenomena caused by repressed trauma [I do not think this is it]; 2) properties haunted by bigots, racists, and similarly self-righteous, antiquated moralists. I'm drawn to the second of these options, but I'm in Connecticut and working only from your descriptions. I suppose, given your profession, that *if* you have a magical practitioner detained in your facility who does not like you, then it *could* be a deliberately focused curse --but that feels like a long-shot to me.

I'm going to suggest a spiritual cleansing of the property; if the house is sub-divided into more than one apartment, or there are areas you cannot access, you're going to need to bring your friend in on this, too.

The redoubtable Rook has a cleansing ritual on his homepage, and I'll add a copy of it to the bottom of this message. It works with (or independently of) any religious belief system. It does take 3 days, but opening the windows in summer won't attract undue attention from neighbors, etc.

Take care to protect yourself from this harassment.

Best,
Biblio.

******Rook's Cleansing********

Rook's Cleansing and Shielding Method (as used by myself and many other members of this site)...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-07-16)
Sometimes remodeling stirs up some bad "juju". Once things get put back in order it may calm down. Reclaim the house as your own. Recite a house blessing prayer. Bless your doorways and make it be known this is your space now. If you believe in a religion, ask your minister or priest to give your home a blessing.

In the meantime, one advice I was given was that if you are at "war" over your new turf, don't let them claim the space and push you out. As hard as it is, I'd try to stick it out and not leave unless you have to. It's trying to scare you away. Stand your ground as your own. If you need help claiming it, ask for help from friends, family or church etc. Fill the house with your stuff, your music, your presence.

Hopefully it leaves or learns to live peacefully.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: