You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandma's Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandma's Ghost

 

Hey everyone! Just like a lot of you, I've been reading stories on here for a while, but I eventually decided to write my own story because I think it's very interesting and very sweet. This happened Christmas Eve 2017.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've been sleeping out in the living room on Christmas Eve because I've always wanted to catch Santa. I don't necessarily believe in him anymore, but I still keep up the tradition because it's just what I've always done and it would feel extremely weird to not be sleeping on the couch on Christmas Eve. Anyway, I was facing the back of the couch, and all of a sudden, I felt this presence on my back. I just knew that there was someone standing behind me. I thought it might've been my grandma from my mom's side because we had an ornament with her face on it on the tree, but I listened to/felt the presence (I don't know what to call it), and I knew that it was my grandma from my dad's side. I don't know how I knew it with such certainty, but I knew without any doubt that it was her. I guess maybe the thought was put into my brain. Her presence was so strong that I thought that if I turned around, I would see her face. I turned around, but I didn't see her face. She stayed there, though. She wasn't freaked out by me turning around. I just stayed there for a while, enjoying her presence. In hindsight, I wish that I had talked to her. Even if she wouldn't have answered me, it would've been neat to let her know that I wasn't freaked out by her. I think she knew that, though. If I was freaked out by her, I think she would've left.

Eventually, I wanted to know what time it was, mostly because of the stereotype that ghosts show up at 3am. I knew that if I got up and checked the time, my grandma was going to leave, but I couldn't resist the urge. So I got up to grab my phone, which was charging on the counter, and it was 1:28 on Christmas morning. Sure enough, when I got back to the couch, she was gone. I wish I hadn't gotten up. Maybe if I would've stayed there all night, my dad would've gotten to see/feel her. When my dad was 14, she died of breast cancer. She came to him in visitation dreams 3 times, and it helped him accept her death. I know that's not really related, but I think it's interesting that she had come down to earth before, sort of.

I actually have a theory of why my grandma came to visit me that Christmas, out of all the other Christmases I've been alive. So that whole year, my aunt was sick with cancer and a whole lot of other stuff. In October of 2018, she died. So maybe my grandma knew that my aunt was going to die, and she came to warn me. I know that I'll probably never know for sure, but I think that's a pretty good theory. My aunt was also the first child of hers to die, so maybe that also played a part in it? I don't know.

Anyway, that's my story. This might be my only story. I don't have ghost experiences. Every once in a while I have this strong feeling that I'm being watched in my room, but that's not really concrete enough because I'm never sure if it's a ghost or not. I'm really bad at ending things, so bye, I guess?

Other hauntings by ghostsarecool

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostsarecool, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-05-03)
Granny came to see you. Christmas is not the same if there's an empty chair at the table. I miss my grandpa. 😭
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hello ghostsarecool, welcome to YGS. Like Miracles, I also enjoyed the narrative and every bit of your experience. People, who have departed, come back to look after their loved ones and make their presence known. And I like your name, ghostsarecool.

But, not all ghosts are cool.

With respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
ghostarecool, I love this. Truly love this. I normally read all comments before posting my own just so I don't say something that has been said more than once by others. But this time I want to get my thoughts out before reading the other comments.

There is no doubt in my mind that it was your grandma. I believe that we can feel with our hearts and minds, our souls, and believe that is how you knew it was your dad's mom and not your mom's. Even if there is no visual, audible, or olfactory clue to associate with them, I believe sometimes we just know.

One day, when I feel it's time, I'll share my sister's visits. I believe some of our loved ones find it easier to communicate with us in our dreams. Maybe it's because some people wouldn't be able to handle seeing their deceased love one in spirit form. Or maybe because our minds are less busy and they can get through easier. I'm sure there are probably thousands of other reasons why but those are my thoughts.

I don't know if it helps or hurts to think if you hadn't looked away, your grandma would still have been there. I would believe whichever helped me feel better.

Thank you for sharing this ❤
ghostsarecool (2 stories) (8 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
Tweed, I like the fact that I still sleep on the couch too. It's a tradition for me at this point, and like I said, it would just feel weird to not be on the couch. In fact, this Christmas, I was really tired earlier in the day, so I fell asleep in my bed, and when I woke up and saw that I wasn't on the couch, I got up and moved out to the couch. I am planning on keeping my inner child alive for the rest of my life, don't worry. Silverthane, I like to think all my future ghost experiences (if I have any) will all be positive because I'm an EXTREMELY optimistic person. That's one of the things I love about myself. I try to be an optimist no matter the circumstances. 😊
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative. I would like to agree with your suspicions concerning your Grandma as well as the reasons that you think she came by to visit. This story was very uplifting and positive and I am glad that you chose to share it with us.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Ghostsarecool, this is such a sweet narrative, thanks heaps for sharing. Puts a whole new spin on Christmas spirit. I love that you still sleep on the couch on Christmas Eve. Sounds like your grandma does too. Keep that inner child alive and well.
ghostsarecool (2 stories) (8 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Lady glow responded to my story! I've made it! Seriously girl, I see you everywhere! I think she wanted to spend time with us too. I don't think she was trying to warn me about my aunt necessarily. I just think she was trying to tell me that it was going to happen. Rajine, I agree.
Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Hello and welcome to YGS!

I believe that it was just your grandmothers way of saying that she's always around, and especially during a family orientated holiday like Christmas she would make her presence felt, especially to the ones that she were close with.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-08)
Welcome to YGS.

Hello ghostsarecool.

This is such a bittersweet experience. I'm sure that your grandmother came to spend some time with her loved ones in that important day.

Personally, I don't believe that ghosts and spirits come only at 3:00 am, there's a lot of evidence pointing to have paranormal encounters at any time of the day and/or the night, though the silence would help to take notice when something is off.

I'm sorry for your loss, I don't know for sure if your grandmother was trying to warn you about her daughter's passing but, in my opinion, she was telling you that death is not the end.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: