You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Wail Out In The Mountains

Real Ghost Stories

A Wail Out In The Mountains

 

My story involves a close friend from the office whom I shall refer to as Edna.

Edna is what one would consider very sensitive to the otherworldly. From the stories that she's shared to me and our friends, she could see ghosts and spirits since she was a child. I think she inherited it from her mother.

I, on the other hand, don't consider myself sensitive but I do acknowledge some unexplainable occasions where I could smell things that aren't there or nowhere near like incense, flowers or some earthly putrid smell. At other times, I hear unexplainable noises and sounds. On my own, I attribute them to an active imagination but when Edna comes into the scene, it's a bit hard to dismiss and makes me question what if? And this is one of our shared encounters.

We were out on a two-day team bonding activity and staying overnight on a remote mountain farm. The mountain farm was a quaint collection of huts spread out and up the slopy mountain side. On the eastern side was a river which can be accessed from the farm's side gate and onwards to the south, behind the huts, was the forest.

Upon arrival, we had a bit of time before the morning activity so we explored the grounds. One of the first things I noticed were the dark humanoid totems situated on tall wooden columns around the place. I saw one by the river gate and then a few more scattered in the back of the farm going to the wooded area. I just dismissed the idea as a bit of ethnic embellishment to the farm. In the afternoon, we got more free time so a few of us including Edna went upriver to check out the waterfalls. The river wasn't too deep so we could trek and wade across it. The trek upriver was fun since we talked amongst ourselves most of the way, but I remember feeling the rocky riverbanks foreboding and desolate. At some point, I surmised that the waterfall could be too far for me, so I decided to give up and get back to the farm. I went back to enter through the river gate and again noted seeing one of the totems perched on top a column as if standing guard.

By dinner, everyone was back in the farm and Edna, I and a few more friends, one of which I shall refer to as Javin, decided to play some board games, talk and have a few bottles of beer after dinner. We played until 1 in the morning (we love board games) and decided to call it a night. There were 7 or 8 of us staying in the same hut, some sleeping on beds, the others on sleeping mats. The hut was a wooden house on a slope with the north side on stilts. There were 3 beds parallel to each other and a loft with a few more sleeping mats in it. Edna chose the farthest bed, Javin in the middle, while I took the bed nearest the door. The rest took the loft and some slept on mats on the floor. There was no air conditioner and the windows were quite large. Overall, the hut was airy and well-ventilated by the cool night air.

I was able to take a few winks and then it started. There was a high-pitched sound that was almost barely audible. Now this being in the Philippines, there's a big chance this was just a mountain side echo from someone singing karaoke out in the mountains. I considered it. And so, I waited a few more minutes expecting the sound to abate waiting for the next song to get queued. It didn't. The sound continued. It had an ethereal quality to it like a soft wail which carried a feeling of longing and anguish. And the sound seemed to emanate from the earth and the surrounding woods. Oddly, it still felt like I could pinpoint the direction it came from, which to me felt like she was walking back and forth in an arc, not coming nearer or farther, always equidistant from my point of hearing. The thought of it approaching scared me and I couldn't sleep, not to mention the wailing sound kept me awake. A few hours later, must've been before dawn, it finally stopped, and I was able to sleep.

Later around 9 in the morning, I complained about not getting enough sleep and Edna looked at me and asked if I heard it. She heard it too and it kept her from sleeping. Like me, she just laid in bed forced to listen to the wail until it finally stopped. We asked Javin, who was in the middle bed between ours, if he heard anything the night before. Guy slept through it not hearing a thing. While the rest of our friends slept peacefully, only Edna and I despite each being on opposite sides from Javin's bed, were able to hear it. Javin should've heard it too. That baffled us.

Edna and I looked around outside and see if we could get a general direction of where it came from and I saw those totems and a thought came to my mind - could it be that those totems are perimeter guardians? It seemed like whatever was making that sound couldn't get past it. I should've asked around what the totems are for but I was too sleepy to bother and quite unnerved then. The rest of the second day activity was unremarkable and I was able to put it out of my mind. We had fun and took a dip in the small adjoining pool by the outdoor dining area and finally we went home.

I've read stories about wailing banshees, and considered a local version of it, but as the legends tell of a warning and impending doom, no morbid events unfolded after hearing that sound.

Other hauntings by mighty_light

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mighty_light, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-30)
Hello [at] Miandra,

My mother called my sister and I banshee's when we argued. (She'd
say: You're both screaming like a pair of banshee's)

I can imagine. I have three nieces (my sister's kids) and I've seen them act as such when they were little:)

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.
Cheers!
MiaG (29 posts)
+2
9 months ago (2023-07-24)
Hello Mighty_Light,

Looks like you've got heaps of help on this post. There's not much I can contribute here.

I just wanted to say it was interesting.

My mother called my sister and I banshee's when we argued. (She'd say: You're both screaming like a pair of banshee's)

If I knew what they were back then I'd be scared, but I actually thought they were witches.

Best wishes,
Miandra/SWS
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-22)
Hello CrimsonTopaz,

Yes, it sure is a good weekend getaway spot to relax and commune with nature. The huts are quite spacious, open and airy. The trails, I haven't explored much since we mostly lounged about but I suppose you can hike up the mountain through the back woods. Glad you found it interesting.
Cheers!
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
9 months ago (2023-07-20)
Mighty light, That place looks amazing. The huts, the green hills, pool, trails and springs. Simply amazing. It should be showcased on one our holiday destination tv shows. Thanks for giving me the location. It's always nice to put a picture to post.
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-20)
Hello!

[at] Lady-glow
I'm always open for a rational explanation but the possibility of a paranormal nature sure fires up my imagination and interest.:) As for asking the locals, perhaps on my next visit. The place is quite far.

[at] CrimstonTopaz
I don't mind. You can look up "Lava Mountain River Farm Cebu" on google. There are lots of pictures of the place, including the hut on stilts on a slope that I was referring to. I think there's even 1 photo of the humanoid totems among them.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-19)
Mighty light, You probably don't want to give out the location, but I just wondered roughly where this happened. It sounds very tranquil. I just wanted to bring it up on Google maps live view.
Lovely LadyGlow, * 'pig-footed-three-headed-fire-spiting monster roaming the forest' * I was in stitches reading your take on what the monster looked like. Lol
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+5
9 months ago (2023-07-18)
Hello mighty_light.

Your story has opened an interesting thread of comments. Personally, I still think that there is room to do some research before jumping to the paranormal conclusion... I guess one always tends to think in accordance to their own experiences.

Perhaps something you could do if ever have the chance, would be to ask the locals if they hear this sound regularly and if they know what it might be. Maybe there's a well known source of its nature... At least well known to the locals.

If Edna is a sensitive, I'm not surprised if entities follow her. They would know that she can see them and may be trying to ask for her help in solving whatever unfinished business that is keeping them earthbound.

Perhaps being so close - physically and emotionally - to Edna made you sense an event intended for her. Maybe the sound has a mundane origin... Or it could have been a pig-footed-three-headed-fire-spiting monster roaming the forest...it's hard to tell.

Once again, thanks for sharing.
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+4
9 months ago (2023-07-16)
Hello Everyone!

[at] Rajine,

After having read your story, I think I'm a little bit thankful mine was a soft spooky wail instead of a frightening shriek in the woods. Your dad was a brave man wanting to go check that out in the woods.

[at] Tweed,

Yes, kind of like a muffled sound of a music filled room. I guess I was on edge that night. As I mentioned, the windows were quite large and we didn't close them to let the cool night air in. We were close to the woods and I didn't feel secure knowing that anyone or anything could just climb up the hut and jump in on us from the large window opening.

[at] CrimsonTopaz
This is the first time I've seen this list and wow, I didn't expect it to be so many entries. I only know a handful. There aren't so many who make sounds though, just a lot of hideous looking ones. As for the spelling, no worries, the message came through, that's what's important 😉

[at] The_Lost_Voyage_11

Thank you for the comforting words. Makes me feel better. It's one thing to encounter something somewhere, it's another to have it follow you home. Curiously, I didn't ask Edna if she still heard the sound when she got home. I was too afraid to get confirmation it might be true. Most likely it didn't bother Edna as much as I did. She has more "visual" encounters to worry about. From what she's shared with me, there are times when she mistakes some ghosts as normal people and when she makes eye contact with them, they often follow her home.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (243 posts)
+5
9 months ago (2023-07-15)
Hello mighty_light, great story, thanks for sharing!

My impression is that what you picked up on was spot on accurate. As I read your story I could see in my mind's eye something, wandering the perimeter of the farm back and forth, making that sound. I picked out the color red, but it was too far away, kind of like seeing something from atop a hill in the distance.

I believe the totems were a kind of protective circle, just as you stated. I don't get a feel of malevolence from whatever was out there that night, but it did want attention. In some cultures, the totems and statues, are a physical representation for a spiritual barrier, if that makes sense.

It seems that whatever it was, knew you could sense it's presence, and it tried to visit you again after you left. I believe again, the totems protected you. They may not have been there physically, the totems at your home, but since the totems are just an anchor for the spiritual protection, they could still provide it for you.

Again, I don't feel it was dangerous, just a wandering spirit/entity that wanted attention for whatever reason. I don't believe you'll be bothered again by it. It's just what I picked up on, hopefully it helps.

BTW did you talk to Edna again after the trip to see if she had a 'visitation' as well? Good luck!
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
9 months ago (2023-07-15)
MightyLight, I found a list of known mythical creatures from the Philippines. I thought it would interest you. I was interested to see how many there are. Scary really.
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Philippine_mythological_creatures
Also thanks for spelling *screech* correctly, my spelling is atrocious. I like using big words, I know what they mean but spelling isn't my forte. Lol
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+4
9 months ago (2023-07-15)
Hi Mighty Light,

What an odd encounter. I also wondered about Banchees but I don't know if they're a part of the culture in the Philippines. There are a few people from the Philippines on this site, I hope they can help with what you heard.

I like your description in the comments, how you said it sounded like stepping out of a music filled room, into another and hearing it muffled. That's like the sound equivalent of how I took your experience. You know how when you stay in a new place you're a little on edge. It doesn't mean the place is bad, it's more a natural adjustment thing we all do, even if only subconsciously. Well maybe this adjustment put your senses in touch with something else, this wailing. No idea what or who it was, but that might be how you heard it, while the other dude slept through it.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a beautiful place to stay.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+4
9 months ago (2023-07-14)
Hi mighty_light

That is indeed unsettling, it's hard to say exactly what that could have been, reminds me of one of my older stories that I posted here some time ago about my parents hearing a shrill screaming that emanated from the wooded area behind their house.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-14)
Mighty Light, Thanks for your reply. Sure does sound spooky. Keeps us posted.
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+4
10 months ago (2023-07-13)
Hi CrimsonTopaz,

Thanks for the link. I didn't know banshees screech. I had previously assumed they just wailed and sobbed in a singsong way.

An irish banshee would indeed seem totally out of place in the Philippines. I was wondering if our local folklore had a local counterpart akin to banshees doing the harbinger of death thing. As far as I know, we don't.

As for the karaoke thing, it's like having someone sing a lullaby with a microphone in a room and then you step out and close the door and all you can hear is a certain tone and pitch with a reverb and echo but you can't distinguish any words. I guess, that's the best I can describe the wailing sound.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
10 months ago (2023-07-13)
Mighty light, Karaoke and wailing are so different. Banchees tend to skreetch from my understanding.
This link best describes what's commonly known as a banshee.
Https://www.britannica.com/topic/banshee
I'm just helping you eliminate the possibilities by way of research.
Banshee is from Irish /Celtic folklore and I can't imagine them being in the mountains in the Philippines, but anything is possible.
The wailing, from how you recall is perhaps a local creature synonymous to that part of the land.
Creatures making what are weird noises to the human ear, maybe totally natural to the creatures of the mountains. Some kind of wolf? Who knows. I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing.
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+4
10 months ago (2023-07-12)
Hi Lady-glow,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, quite possible it was just a naturally occurring sound.
I don't think it was from a machine hum, though, as it's normally at a lower frequency.

I recall we had fine weather that night. It wasn't windy or raining.
As for the fauna, didn't see much except the farm dogs and cats. I saw some fireflies in the trees.

As for Javin, yes, he could just be a heavy sleeper and probably not sensitive enough to high pitch noise.

Edna doesn't normally share things she sees so as not to scare people, esp ones who're trying to enjoy an outing. But I recall she made mention of shadow people on the river banks. No comments on the totems or the farm though except about the wailing at night.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it as I clearly recall it being a continuous wail for hours and stopped sometime before dawn. I couldn't recall birds chirping.

Perhaps it was a high pitched sound of the river combined with the silence of the area.

One thing to add though, few days after we went to the farm, I recall hearing that same high pitched wail again at home which spooked me. It was the same sound. Then again, I probably had a bad case of tinnitus.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+5
10 months ago (2023-07-12)
Welcome to YGS.

Hi mighty_light.

By the way you've described it, I imagine this place to be very beautiful.

In my opinion, there's not enough evidence to consider the wailing as an unexplainable event, much less something paranormal.

Do you remember what was the weather like that night? Was it windy? Perhaps the sound was the wind hitting the totems?
Are you familiar with the fauna of the area? Would it be possible that this was the call of a bird or some nocturnal animal?

"only Edna and I despite each being on opposite sides from Javin's bed, were able to hear it. Javin should've heard it too"

Maybe Javin is a heavy sleeper, or was too tired to take notice of what was happening around, or wore earplugs during the night.

What was Edna's general impression of the place? Did she sense anything unusual during the trek and/or around the totems?

I'm glad you're able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: