I started working in an assisted living facility in June of 2004. I worked the 2nd shift, 2-10pm. There were two units in the 40 bed facility. Unit one was for patients who needed assistance with their everyday needs. Unit two was the unit that I worked all the time, the Alzheimer's/Dementia unit.
Most nights, I would be assigned to the until alone. At the time, there were only ten rooms filled out of the twenty rooms total. A year had passed and more patients moved into the facility. Staffing grew, and on most days, there were two staff members assigned to both units. During a three month period, we were short staffed, and I was working the unit alone. This never bothered me.
The building at the time was only a few years old, but many deaths had occurred since the opening of the facility. Working alone, you would always catch a glimpse of something moving out of the corner of your eye. Lights would be on in rooms that were unoccupied. The call light system, which sounded an alarm in the nurses station when a patient needed help, would go off in rooms that were unoccupied. These were normal occurrences, that didn't bother me.
On one particular night, I was assigned to the unit alone. This was nothing new to me, and I just accepted it, and went about my duties. In one room in general, the lights came on several times over the night. I would always go in, and shut them off. After multiple times of this, I just ignored them.
After a couple of hours past without me shutting the lights off, the call lights went off in the room. I went in, and shut them all off. After that, they all went off again, this time, I was getting a little bit scared. I walked over to the other unit, and told them about what was happening. Two other staff members and myself walked down to the room, and shut everything off. My co-worker announced to whomever was doing this, to stop immediately. My co-workers went about their duties on the other unit.
An hour before my shift was up, I was standing in the nurses station drawing up insulin for a 9pm dose for a patient. The call light went off, and assuming it was someone who needed help, I finished drawing up the insulin, and turned around to see which room had pulled the cord. To my surprise, it was room number 126, the same room that had been pulling it all night long. I called over to the other unit, and the same two staff members came over, and together, we walked down to the room to turn the lights off for what we hoped to be the last time that night.
When we entered the room, it felt at least 20 degrees colder. We walked into the living area, shut the call light off, followed by the bedroom, and the bathroom. When we turned around, we noticed that all of the cupboard doors in the kitchen were being swung open. This caused my co-workers to scream, and we all ran from the room. The administrator of the building was called, and she in return, called the owner of the building, and he said that it was all a part of our imagination.
A couple nights had passed, and still, lights went on and off spontaneously in the room. One night in particular, a patient was walking up and down the hallway, acting very agitated. I noticed her walking to the end of the hallway, and peering into the window of the room that had all of the oddities happening. When asked why she was staring into the room, she turned to me, and in a cold voice, stated she wanted to join in on the party. This woman had Alzheimer's Disease, so she could not have known what was happening whatsoever.
That same night, during shift change, we had a total of six staff members doing rounds, checking on every patient to make sure they were okay. While in the hallway of 126, we started feeling a strange vibration coming from the floor. The building was fairly new, and the flooring underneath the carpeting, was cement. We found it odd to feel such a vibration. As we continued to get closer to room 126, we noticed the vibration was turning more into a shaking type of feeling. The pictures on the walls were rattling, and the signs next to the door containing patient's names, were also rattling. It felt as if there was a minor earthquake, which is impossible in Michigan. As soon as the door to 129 was opened, which is the room number of the woman who stated she wanted to join in on the party, the rambling stopped.
This event was enough to make the six of us want to quit. Our administrator took it upon herself to call a local church who came in and blessed the room. A bible was placed in the room, and even though this all took place, strange occurrences have also been happening. Televisions will turn on, radios will turn on, and the bible will now even close on its own.
There is no explanation to why these things are happening, but we do know that the spirits in the building are very much alive.