You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Former Skeptic, Now Beginning To Believe

Real Ghost Stories

Former Skeptic, Now Beginning To Believe

 

Some background: I'm a 40 year old male teacher in central New Jersey and for 38 years I've been skeptical about the paranormal. For 38 years I haven't had a single personal paranormal experience. That all changed in 2007.

My father passed in December of 2007 and about 10 days after his passing I was awoken to a strong scent of bourbon. It was his drink of choice. I don't drink it; I don't even have it in my home. Yet, the entire night I was awoken to this scent. At first I'd wake up, and peer at the clock and realize it's not time to get up. I'd roll over and fall back to sleep. I'd smell it but I wasn't really awake and sharp. After the 3rd or 4th time I woke up I became more alert. I realized that what I'm smelling was real. I sat up, got up, walked around, tried to identify its origin. I was unable. I do know that it was localized in my bedroom. I would leave my bedroom and the smell would be gone. I'd enter and it would be present. It was equally strong in all parts of my bedroom. I honestly had no explanation and really didn't think it was paranormal. All throughout the night I was awoken to the scent. I sat up a few times and investigated again. I got the same results. After being awoken more than 10 times throughout the night, I'm beginning to become spooked and it dawns on me that maybe this is paranormal. I think, maybe its Dad saying goodbye or something or just reminding me he's watching. Finally, in the 4 o'clock hour I said aloud, "I smell it, I know, I know, its you." and rolled over and fell back to sleep. I awoke a few hours later and the smell was gone. This is the first time in my life I'd had any sort of paranormal experience. This is when I became interested in this field.

I began reading a bit, finding some websites like this one, and even watching some ghost shows on television. Since the incident above I've had about 5 strange events happen. These events can be explained logically but they still give me pause. I'd like to share three of them.

When I arrive home from work, I walk into my computer area, empty the contents of my pocket on my desk and get changed into more comfortable clothes. The contents of my pockets are always my phone, keys and wallet. Sometimes there is some loose change if I get coffee of something. This is my routine.

On this particular day I emptied my pockets onto my desk like normal and it included some change. I finished getting out of my work clothes, changed and sat at my computer. I checked my email, surfed for a few minutes, and played a few computer games. After about an hour I was done, pushed out my chair and stood up. I glanced over to my left to where the contents of my pocket reside and I notice one of the 3 coins on my desk, the quarter, is standing on its edge. I just froze and wondered how this is possible. I played on the computer for a fair bit of time. If the coin was on its edge, why didn't it fall from the vibration of me playing? What really gave me the shivers is the way I put the coins on my desk. I keep them in my closed fist until the bottom of my knuckles touch the top of the desk, and then I open my first to let the coins fall onto the desk. As the coins are falling I continue to press down on the desk until the coins fall flat. I do this because I don't want the coins to go flying around. I never realized I did it this way until I tried to recreate the incident above. What I do, in essence is slap the coins down upon the desk. Could the coin have come out of my pocket then onto my desk on its edge? I don't think so because of the way I put the coins on the desk.

Two days later it's now Friday and I'm home from the gym. I had some muscle soreness and wanted to take some Aleve before I went to bed. I have 3 pain medicines in my cabinet, Aleve, Tylenol, and Advil. I have a standard medicine cabinet above my vanity/sink area and above the toilet I have this big cabinet that my dad made. I opened both cabinets and could not find the Aleve. I did not take out anything from the cabinets, I just moved stuff around. I found the Tylenol and Advil. No Aleve. I looked on the windows ledge, near the sink, no Aleve. I haven't taken any pain medicine over a month. I shrugged and took 2 Tylenol and went to bed. The next morning I woke up, went to the bathroom and on my sink/vanity is the bottle of Aleve just sitting there. It was on the edge of the vanity. The vanity is tiny and narrow. A bottle can't just sit there for weeks on end. I just have enough room on the vanity for a bottle of liquid soap. I still can't figure out how it got there. I played those events over in my head, the sequence of me looking for the Aleve and I'm certain I never took anything out of the cabinets.

The last strange event happened at my school and it was the most bizarre. One of our teachers every year gives an assembly to the 5th graders about the Holocaust. It's toned down to their level and most of the graphic details are left out but she tells a true story of her family and what happened to them and other victims of the war. She uses technology (clips from Schindler's List) to show how some of these events transpired and the 5th graders are always quiet and riveted on the story. Since this wonderful teacher is as old as God, she has no idea how to run modern technology. This is where I come in since I'm the technology teacher in my school. I help her run the clips, and hook up sound cables that go from the computer to the television. After about 20 minutes into the presentation she is done with the clips and that's my cue she doesn't need me anymore. I disassemble the technology and return it to the proper classroom.

On my way back from dropping off the borrowed equipment I pass by the room again with the assembly. I decide not to go back in because it always makes me sad. I've heard this presentation for years and I have too much empathy for the victims and get too emotionally invested. I am on the second floor of my school, and begin to approach the double doors leading to the stairwell going down. As I approach the stairwell I hear a child sobbing. Concerned, I open the doors and I can hear it coming from below me. It's a sob, very different from a child's hysteria, or an injury cry. It was emotional, loud, sorrowful, and powerful. I can hear the sound in my head as I type this and I can accurately describe it as anguish. I hustled down the steps thinking something was wrong. I'm on the landing halfway down and the sobbing suddenly stops. In front of me I can see the two double wooden doors that lead to the 1st floor hallway. These doors make a racket when you open them. They have a push handle that goes CLANK and the sound echoes in the stairwell. I did not hear them open. I hit the bottom of the steps and turned left toward the emergency exit behind the stairwell. There is a nook in that area where you can stay unseen if you want to. There are also two steel doors, similar to the wood hallway doors. They open the same way and make the same noise. I ran to the back of the stairwell to see if a child was hiding back there. There was nobody there. I didn't hear the door open to the outside or the hallway but I opened it anyway and peered right and left. There was nobody outside the school. I closed the door and walked to the wooden doors that lead to first floor hallway. I saw two teachers walking up the hall talking and a receptionist at the front desk not 25 feet from me. I saw no child. I asked the receptionist if she saw anybody come out of these doors, she said no just me. I asked her if anybody was crying recently and she said no. I walked to the nurse's office, asked her if anybody came in crying, she said no.

The next day I approached the teacher who gave the assembly and asked her if anybody left upset or emotional during her presentation. She said no, nobody left. So now I'm wondering what exactly happened? Was it a spirit related to the holocaust assembly presenter? Was it a real kid I just couldn't find? How could a spirit cry? They don't have tears, vocal chords, etc. It leaves me with more questions than answers.

I'm a little apprehensive about mentioning these experiences to my friends for fear of being ridiculed or looked at in a negative way. I finally opened up about this to my sister hoping she wouldn't think me insane but I was surprised and blown away but what she told me was happening at her home since my father passed. I'm going to ask her permission to share her experiences with the community and if she says it's alright I'll post them here in the future. This is a great supportive community that gives me a place to share my experiences and to also get views and opinions on what I'm experiencing.

There is one thing I wanted to ask the community here. Is it possible I'm beginning to experience more things because I'm more open to it?

Thanks for listening.

Other hauntings by Scoops

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scoops, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
Daz and granny - talk about being a few slices short of a loaf of bread. I missed these comments and find out I also missed out on chicken AND meatloaf! Oh come on!

πŸ˜†
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Scoops--A good, honest series of encounters. Signs from the Other Side appear in a huge range of degrees in their ways & means. In your sensing these are signs from your father, I'd say there's no reason to doubt yourself any more than you'd doubt any other intuition or flash thought you have.
Of course, I also question the statement "No one knows what's on the Other Side." Of course there are people who know. Most of them just happen to be on the Other Side now. But thoughts and words are invisible, anyway, so why think communication stops when people are not visible to each other? We do it all the time every day. ~ James
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Ahhehh... That's better wrong basket, that one belongs to miracles, "see guys" told you all I was improving, look how many bananas they put in mine this week and look that's new!... A packet of cashews and guess what I don't need anymore marsh mellows they just increased my medication, πŸ˜† what ever you do scoops don't read any of my stories I'm the only one who believes there true, oh God help me could I dig the hole any deeper, πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
HEY GUYS: There's a lot of COLD CHICKEN in my picnic basket!...LOL πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Come to think of guys there no meatloaf in my basket as well? What does that say about meπŸ˜† 😭 😭
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Scoops, mention our four names you will be in big trouble, no stopping at goπŸ˜•you will be fitted with a customized straight jacket and straight to the funny farm πŸ˜†πŸ˜­ sorry mate, there some here who think where a sandwich short of a picnic basket.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
Scoops: I think you got something there... When we have unexplainable experiences, it does make you realize how much we don't know... That we're on this site, and trying to figure things out is a step in the right direction, I think! 😊...Never stop searching for answers! (right w.b.?)...And when everyone else calls you crazy, just tell them you're in good company with miracles, AussieDaz, Whitebuffalo, and me!...We'll save you a room!... πŸ˜† ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
Scoops - good luck with the journal and I hope it helps you as much as mine does me.

Marjie
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
A journal is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestions. Weird stuff doesn't happen often for me, but if I experience anything else, I'll write it down. I already have a small notebook set aside for it near my bed.

To the poster who remarked that my experiences were tantamount to a Demon which wants to lead me astray of God... I can say that before these experiences I didn't believe in God. Not really anyway. Now I'm a believer that there is more than likely a being which has created our universe and life.

These experiences have brought me closer to a belief in a God.

I'll never dismiss anybody's comments and we as a species don't really know for sure what lies beyond our physical lifetime. Demon? God? Another existence? Energy? Nobody knows. What I do know is that science can not explain it all for me anymore. I'll be keeping my eyes, ears, and senses open and approach every experience with a healthy dose of science, skepticism, and an all encompassing sense of wonder.

Thanks for listening.

Scoops
no_XIII (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
Wow, great story, and I'm sorry about your loss. I can't really explain what happened about those things cause I'm just a newbie and rookie but I do know things like Demonologist thingd and stuff like that though not much. Speaking of Demons and Hell, does anyone know Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy, you know, the poem. They say there's different factions called Circle's (Nine to be exact) in Hell. Starting from Limbo, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Anger, Heresy, Violence, Fraud and Treachery. I'm just going to tell you if anyones interested (I've never read the poem but I do know the details).

1st Circle, Limbo. I know it sounds weird but its is Limbo. Its where people who doesn't believe or doesn't have that much faith to God suffer there.

2nd Circle, Lust. Where the lustful shall be blown away by the constant wind of pure fire, never seeing they're loved ones again.

3rd Circle, Gluttony. Lets just skip this one cause I don't know much about this circle and its to gross to tell inj this website.

4th Circle, Greed. Where the Greedy boils in molten gold, never attaining the gold cause you know, its molten gold.

5th Circle, Anger. Where the Angry drowns in a river of rotten blood or poison forever.

6th Circle, Heresy. Where Heretics tortured for eternity in either barbequed in flaming coffin or being Swiss Cheesed in the spiked on if I'm not mistaken.

7th Circle, Violence. Its divided into three faction. The first is for the one being violent to other humans where they'll be boiled forever. The second is for the ones being violent to themselves (I forgot about this one but I know it has something to do with Woods). And the third and Last for people who's being violent for the name of God I think.

8th circle, Fraud. Where people who lied to get sorts of thing (Money, fame, etc). Its to long cause it has many factions each for they're own kind of lies, about 8 to 10 I think.

Last but not least, 9th Circle, Treachery. Where traitors are tortured for eternity. There three factions. There's one where people commited treachery to thier country, one for people who commited treachery to their guests, and one for people who commited treachery to their master (I don't know they're punishment is but I do know the place in a Frozen lake called Cocytus and they say that The Prince of Darkness himself is in the center of the lake.

Thats all I know about the poem and I hope you enjoy reading it cause I put a lot of effort into (Mainly the typing).

Keep us posted Mr. Scoops.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
Hi Scoops:

First I would like to commend you on this well-written account of your "happenings".

I have been "insightful" for my entire life although there was a period of my life when I had to block it out. It sounds to me as if you are becoming more in-tune to your spiritual surroundings. I believe we all have the ability to "see" but most choose not to. Here is my take on your personal experiences; I think you either were missing your dad very much and because of that started realizing your insight. (Or you may have a very persistant father). But either way, you are becoming more insightful because of this initial contact with your father. I believe that you will be experiencing many more paranormal occurrences in the future.

Suggestion; do not live your life around it rather enhance your life with these experiences. Good luck to you!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
Daz? Wow, I was right with granny trying to figure that out. There is NO WAY there are 2 of you!

Reminds me of when Sundaydrive posted on one of mine under Seeker's name. Got quite a laugh!

Marjie
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
Scoops - great story, by the way. I second granny's journal suggestion. I have been keeping one since 2002. That's when I started thinking I was slipping over the edge. The journal has helped me realize I'm not crazy or imagining things. It also helps "debunk" some things that I don't know whether or not are my ghosts.

I do it on an event-by-event basis. It works for me. If nothing else, it'll give my loved ones proof, when I'm institutionalized, that I was completely nuts πŸ˜†, right granny, Daz and whitebuffalo?

Marjie
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
I have been doing a study on the subject of hell. So far, I've discovered that not every instance of the word "hell" carries the same meaning.

I think that there are basically four or five different words, with different meanings for each time the word appears, and considering the context in which it is used.

My focus is primarily aimed at how and when Jesus used the word hell while speaking to different audiences, and of course the particular context must not be ignored.
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
I was raised while attending a few churches that were part of what is recognized as an organized religion. I have had some bad experiences attending these churches, as well as some good. All of that is just personal stuff.

However, I did develop an appreciation for having a sacred book, the Bible, which could easily be referenced to present as evidence of what we hope for, and believe in, and for consolation, and healing, and protection, and wisdom and joy, and see us through our grief, and numerous other things common to us all in life.

As a sacred book, we all understand that adding our own beliefs, or omitting scriptures that we don't want to believe, one's sacred book has been desecrated.

If one fails to recognize the need of a sacred book, we will be pulled and pushed in possibly any direction. We end up lost.

Having nothing but your personal beliefs will ultimately leave you unable to pass your faith along to your children, your friends and other relatives..., and a very good chance of becoming the victim of a clever deception.

You could also miss out on many things that truly inspire you, and others.

I like learning more about what other religions people live by, and I like to know what they believe.

It becomes impossible to know what anyone believes until their beliefs are found within the context of some sacred text or book.

In my opinion, living life hopping and skipping from one belief to another is not a good way of developing or sharing your faith with anyone.

Oh, I am no expert or interpreter of any ancient manuscripts, but I do read english translations of the Bible. ❀

I am in my fifties, so I've seen some history as it was happening. I've seen people covering up their treachery. I've seen people being killed. I've see a lot of real life. And, I've seen things that might make your skin crawl, or cause paralysis, or terror.

I still care for everyone I meet. The Bible states that we should be at peace where ever it is possible, and to treat others the way we wish to be treated. I wish you all well.

God Bless 😁
Joshua8888 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
I do not mean to shatter your illusions or trivialize your empathy, but what you heard was a demon masquerading as a crying child. The same is true for the smell of bourbon in your room. The Bible is clear: when the dead die, they do not stay here. They go permanently to the places called paradise or torments to await the final judgement. But, there are spirits here, that is, the fallen angels, who can and do physicially manifest and pretend to be deceased humans. They are tricksters and love to mislead and deceive us into believing things that are not bibically true. If you listen, they will tell you all manner of lies to cause you to doubt God and His word, to your destruction. For some reason, you were and are ripe for this deception.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Aussie: I figured it was something like that...That's why I put the wink πŸ˜‰ at the end!...You're too funny! πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Sorry scoops, that was embarrassing rainman shares the same computer with me, his my alterego, just joking that's my older brother he is living with us and has been for a while, forgot to log out, god help me if I had to go down that path, It sounds like your dad is trying to communicate with you, although your story doesn't secure ultimate proof it does suggest that there is something going on, perhaps start logging down each experience as it occurs, maybe over a period of time that will convince you that he is with you.
Daz
footsteps (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops...you know sometimes I have to laugh at things especially with all the stuff that happens... When you said that your father was probably letting you know that there is more than death, he was doing that too. That is another thing I am working on... Separating my thoughts from the spirit world's. Just as they read our thoughts we are able to hear them and at times you hear them as if a person is talking or you hear them as a thought. I had that very thought about the life after death when I was writing you but I wasn't sure if it was my thought or his. Well you pretty much threw it out there. They make it easier for me at times when I get butterflies in my stomach,however, not always. You can practice this too which is good for all to do. Learn to know yourself... I know it sounds strange, but learn to know if you are thinking the thoughts or if a thought just came out of no where. The first time I was taught this, I thought the person telling me this was nuts. I had never really thought about how I got the information when I was growing up, I just thought I knew it. However, I did learn that he was not lieing. It's all part of picking out things and paying close attention.
I also want to tell you that it is very good to be skeptical, even with all the experiences I've had, I still am. You have to be. Let's face it, not every little thing that happens in life is paranormal. I've even dismissed things that were paranormal. Of course, the spirit's involved didn't allow me to continue dismissing them. I could tell you some strange stories.
I still go in circles trying to figure out how life or the spirit world started. In our lifetime, this is one thing we will never learn. But as you are learning and as I know, what really matters is that life continues after we leave here. That is the important factor now. If anything at all, this is the best information I've gotten through all of this.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops; Sorry, but I have a question for Rainman... Why did you sign your name on your post as "Daz"?...I know of only one "Daz", and I don't think he's you... πŸ˜‰
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops: Well, by the sound of your name, you like to dig deep and then report about it!...May I suggest keeping a journal?...It helps to document these things, as you can look back and say, "well, I know it was this", or "I know it couldn't have been that"...It will also give you some insight as to when stuff may occur, or under what circumstances, such as time, weather conditions, your mood, etc...

Then you can report back to us!...Love to hear more... πŸ˜†
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Rainman, I don't have any trouble falling asleep, jumping or being nervous. It was just that one time that I smelled something, that was in late Dec of 07. No smells since.

A week after that incident I was trying to fix my mom's spotlights outside and I couldn't find an electrical box to stuff the outside wires in, I got frustrated and left. I had looked all over where the parts 'should' be in dad's workshop to no avail. I came back the next day not intending to work on the spotlight and I see a light shining from under his workshop door (in the garage). It was the sun shining though a window. The window has an old kitchen curtain and it was pulled a little to the side. The curtain wasn't supposed to be pulled aside. I moved the curtain closed and I saw the cabinet to the right of the window open about 1 inch. I said aloud, ok, what am I missing, and I opened the cabinet and the electrical box was right there in front. I chalked up as coincidence but part of me wants to believe he was sending me a message.

I think if this is paranormal in nature, it doesn't seem at all scary or creepy. It's almost like a cry for attention.

It's little stuff like that which makes me begin to wonder what I'm missing. Stuff that can be coincidence that maybe isn't. It's not creaking floor nor is it ghostly images or seeing stuff move, it's little stuff that just don't add up.

Scoops
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Hi;

Maybe nothing, but maybe demonic low - level harassment. Things disappearing, and strange smells / wisperings are suspect. I'd have Catholic Holy water close at hand, just in case. I'd use this Holy water, especially at night. It may or may not progress. If a demon, it'll most likely step up the harassment. You can always say Jesus, Mary and St. MIchael the Archangel; it'll help. Good luck. Dukes2352atAol.com.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops: That was a touching story. To answer your question. Yes, spirits can cry, sob, laugh, mumble, hum or be just angry and mean! The emotions that they carry while alive are the same emotions that are carried into the spirit world. If this child was a part of the Holocaust and was a tortured soul, of course this yearly event given by this school teacher allowed this spirit of this child enough energy to come through into our dimension. You have to understand, spirits are all around us anyway. They see everything we do and hear what we talk about. Our minds are just so cluttered with our everyday events that a lot of our minds aren't open to them. Those who do have an open mind or who are sensitive are just like a lighthouse in the ocean. They shine bright and spirits are very much attracted to them because they are happy someone can see them. Most of these souls don't even know they are dead, so it's like being in a foreign country, not knowing anyone, unable to speak the language, and then running into an American or someone who speaks the language you speak, you're very happy and this person in your mind is going to stand out more than all the others you've met or will meet.

Spirits do exist!

Thank you again for sharing!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops: I forgot to mention, the reason I went to my facebook page was to wish my Dad Happy Birthday... 😒
Rainman (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops, I have to tell you when I was 30 years old, I was an atheist, not frighten of death nor was I insecure about death being final, even when I lost my father too... Because being a bit too sensitive loosing someone close to you, can play on yee old imagination, but a lot of crazy stuff started to happen after his death and seeing him with my own eyes was enough for me, to reevaluate my thoughts and beliefs, like BadJuujuu pointed out, when you open your mind to it... Well here I am today, one question for you? Do you find yourself jumping just at the brink of falling to sleep!
Daz
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scoops: This is a really interesting story...I'm one of those who believe that the spirit world is around us at all times... All we have to do is pay attention... And also, keep a healthy bit of skepticism... Always best to search for "normal" before claiming "paranormal"...So yes, your experiences will definately happen more and more, now that you know what, and what not, to look for...

The child in the stairwell, I think, may have been viewing the presentation as well...Or, like you said, picked up on your vibes, or those of the other children...

To expand on what footsteps says about our loved ones visiting on occasion:...April 22nd is my Dad's birthday, and this year I felt the loss a little more than normal (I have two grand-daughters who will never know him)...I went to my facebook page (yes I have one of those, LOL!), and while I was waiting for it to load, I glanced down at the floor beside my chair... There was a little white feather... We don't have anything with feathers in our house, not even a bird!...I sat and cryed for 15 minutes!...I think my Dad knew how much I was missing him, and came to visit...

Good story, and sorry, I like to ramble!

πŸ˜† ❀
AmandaNoelle2 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Scary... Good luck. I agree with all the other posts!

JkOmgJk
Bluper, Friend, Mentor.
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
"You have to understand, just like God, the entire spirit world can hear your thoughts, including what you are feeling."

It's amazing you said that. When I walked past the assembly on the way toward the stairwell I thought to myself 'It must have been so awful to never see your brothers and sisters again and watch your loved ones die, I could not bear that.' and I kept walking toward the stairwell. About 4 seconds after the thoughts popped into my head is when I began to hear the sob.

You also asked my state of mind. I was not sleeping well prior to that night of the smell. I did a lot of crying and thinking over those 10 days or so. After the 10th day I began to finally accept it and it was the first night I got to bed and fell asleep right away. Thinking about it now it makes me laugh because I really needed and wanted to sleep the entire night and I was unable.

I'm still a person who somewhat skeptical of strange events but I'm paying a lot closer attention to things. I don't want to be that person who thinks every weird noise is something or every shadow is something. I think, no, I know that there is more to life that I can possibly know or imagine and that I'll probably never have all the answers I want. Still, Dad wasn't religious and believed once you die, that's it. You are part of the earth and no more. We used to have discussions about stuff like that but what's amazing is he said I may believe that there is nothing after death, but you have to say this... Before there was something, there was nothing. Who or what created the something? At one time there had to be nothing. NO rocks, NO space, no nothing. Maybe that smell was him telling me, yes, there is something past physical body's lifetime.
footsteps (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-14)
Now you have wonderful knowledge knowing that more exists then what the average eye sees. We are like opposites in a way. It took you 38 years to believe and it took me almost 38 years to search what I already experienced. My experiences stem back to when I was a little girl and for the most part I ignored most things. I won't lie... It freaked me out a bit. Things have gotten more difficult and much more complicated since I've gotten older. I can't ignore them anymore.
I wouldn't look too far into what you experienced at school. I feel it was a spirit taking notice that you have opened up a little and it was just messing with you a bit. You have to understand, just like God, the entire spirit world can hear your thoughts, including what you are feeling. If you plan to continue doing research on this subject, opening yourself even more, please do research on protection too. Just like in our world, you need to learn protection from the spirit world too. Of course, I got through it for 30 some years without, but being prepared is better. The important part is to stay positive and think positive.
It is a wonderful feeling knowing that our loved ones do come back and visit us and check up on us. How were you and your sister doing emotionally when your father had passed? This is an important factor too. Sometimes when our loved ones pass away, we are on an emotional rollar coaster and that at times sort of keeps them on the limbo for a while so that they cannot fully pass over to where they want to be. Of course, I'm not saying that once they pass over they won't come back and check up on us. I'm just saying that emotionally we have to let them go so that they can cross that line comfortably knowing that we are alright. Just something to think about next time a family member passes in the future. It sounds like your father really wanted to let you know, "Hey...I'm still here and watching you". That is why he was determined to stick around until you admitted outloud that you knew he was there. It was his way of letting you know that he was okay. Not everyone gets that experience, so congrads.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: