You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Were They Just Dreams Or Something More?

Real Ghost Stories

Were They Just Dreams Or Something More?

 

It's been quite a while since my last post on here. Where have those two years gone?

Nothing extra ordinary has happened in those intervening years that I had noticed until 4 months ago.

I was put out of work due to injury on the first of May this year. My surgery was two weeks later on the 19th. Due to the anesthetic my first few nights after the surgery were just straight up blackout sleeps. No dreaming or awareness of anything around me. On the fourth night, that Sunday, I felt like the anesthesia was out of my system enough that I finally wanted to try some of this Jack Daniels cola I had gotten a few days before my surgery. So I drank one before bed (it was decidedly meh) and laid down for the night. I had my door closed because the pull chain for my ceiling fan lights stripped out and if I wanted to have my fan on while I slept the lights had to be on too. I don't remember what time it was or what I was dreaming about, but I was awakened by four quick, sharp raps on my door, like *raprap**raprap*, jerking me out of a very deep sleep. I sat up in bed and listened for any follow up sounds but all I heard were my parents sleeping in the other room. I don't know if I dreamt the knocks or if they were perhaps a warning to wake me from a potentially longer, more permanent nap due to the alcohol and anesthetic. I told my mom about it the next day and she shrugged it off and said it was probably the dog slapping the door with her tail, but I know the difference between the dog's tail thumping against the door and someone knocking.

The other incident happened about a month and a half later and requires a bit of exposition.

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with night time. On the one hand I love that it's quiet and not so busy like during the day, however, to me the night has a sort of imposing feeling to it. Like a weight that settles over everything and makes things feel oppressive and lonely. I also hate sleeping at night as that's when I have the darkest (no pun intended) dreams.

I won't get into details, but the dreams will generally start normal and then will get darker, both literally and figuratively until I usually force myself to wake up. I typically wake up between 2:30am - 4am and my head feels heavy and my heart is racing.

This last time was the same but with a slight twist.

I don't remember exactly what I was dreaming about only that I was talking to someone, or something, when suddenly, for some reason, I lunged at the other with my right arm out as if to grab them. That sudden motion is what caused me to wake up as my body had followed suit in the motion. What makes this different from the other dark dreams is that even though my head was heavy at first the feeling passed almost as soon as I woke up whereas normally it would take a few minutes. Another thing is that at the moment I woke I was aware of something moving in the periphery of my right eye. It looked like something moved across my dresser and out the door (I had it open that night and my lights/fan off). I only caught brief motion and no definitive shape or features unfortunately. The last thing was that when my dream self lunged it had reached forward with its right arm, but when I woke my right arm was reaching towards my door to the right of me like I was reaching for whatever just ran off.

I don't know what to think about these two experiences. There hasn't been anything else happen since and I even questioned submitting them as they are dream related and I know the site's rule about those. Let me know what you guys think.

Other hauntings by 8-bitDemigod

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 8-bitDemigod, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-10-01)
[at] Twilight1011 & Batrav

Sorry for the late reply.

I'll have to check out your stories, that sounds interesting and terrifying at the same time. I'm interested in that shielding bracelette though.
Batrav (1 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2022-09-30)
iv experience many of these, most nights I can't get out of them as if I am stuck, I'm fighting to wake up screaming and trying my best to move to where I can feel my wife beside me, but she doesn't feel me. But luckily she wakes up hearing me. She said I sound like more of a low moaning sound, but in the moment I am screaming as loud as I can. Twilight1011 is my wife and she had told some of my stories. I had an episode last night seeing a white translucent figure, I wasn't wearing my relic and I got stuck screaming and fighting to get up, my wife wakes up smacking me awake. Glad she got to hear me in time because the figure was getting closer to me... I will keep my bracelet on from now on. It has protected me and has even giving me the power to fight back.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2022-09-29)
That's really ironic for me to hear what you described happening to you, upon waking from possibly a nightmare or whatever you would call it, as well as you having the "nightmare". My husband has had many similar experiences for years now, and has constantly questioned whether or not if there just bad dreams, or something more, which I've written about his account on my page as well, if you care to read? To get to my point though, my husband has had these dreams where he sometimes can either feel a presence in our room, or even will see very creepy looking figures in our room, some that will even choose to mess with him, whether it's whispering something in his ear, or messing with him, like making him believe that he has woken, and think that he sees me or our daughter beside him in bed, and then we'll start to mess with him, and morph into something more sinister looking. There's even times where he'll be attacked as well etc. He says a lot of the times, he'll be in a paralyzed state, where he's unable to move, and can only witness these happenings, until he's finally able to make a noise, that normally will wake me to wake him, from what I know is a paralysis episode of his happening. He's had some get so bad, to where he's unable to go back to sleep afterwards, from how terrifying his "nightmares" can be, and how real they feel to him, especially when he's woken up to see thing's moving away from him afterwards, and the feeling of a presence in the room. The odd thing lately though, that has really made him wonder about whether or not these happenings are real or not, is he's gotten into the Vikings beliefs relics, or whatever they're called, and has recently (about 2 months ago) bought a Vikings bracelet, that's meant to protect him, and ward off any evil spirits etc. He's went as far as sleeping with it on, and ended up having another one of these "nightmares", not long after deciding to sleep with it on him. In this "nightmare", he again had something evil like, approach him in his sleep, by our bedside (I sleep against the wall), and started to attack him he said. Except this time, he found that he was NOT in a paralyzed state, and was finally able to fight back at whatever it was, attacking him, and he said that it seemed very surprised that he was able to fight back. My husband has had so many of these "nightmares", to where he said it's starting to make him more angry then scared now, that they keep messing with him, which is why he was able to fight back that night. But he realized afterwards that he had slept with his bracelet on, and couldn't help but wonder if it is what helped him not be paralyzed and powerless that night. He's since then, chosen to sleep with it on every night now, and surprisingly hasn't had anymore attacks since then. Hopefully it'll stay that way though. We've come to believe that what he experiences in his dreams, that like to make him believe that he's really awake, aren't really just dreams. It makes me wonder if you're possibly experiencing something similar to what he has. At least you weren't put in a paralyzed state in yours though, and was able to fight back.
8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-24)
[at] Rajine

It is possible, but I didn't stay over night and the surgery took place at the same hospital I work at. Like you say though, 🤷‍♂️
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-09-23)
Hi 8-bitDemigod

I'm assuming that everything started after your surgery and stay in the hospital? Maybe some random spirit followed you home 🤷‍♂️ just an assumption based on your experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: