You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted House and Doppelgangers on Hancock Street

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted House and Doppelgangers on Hancock Street

 

When I was 11 my family decided to move to move to an old house in Oxford, NC. My parents were stumped as whether to buy this house or another, so they had us kids kind of make the final decision. We loved the place. It was huge... Well, compared to other places we lived. It was constructed in the early 1900s, and had been added onto through the years. My sister Therra and I loved it. My little brother Eric was too small to care.

The strange stuff started happening almost immediately. It was to be the first night we were going to stay in the house, and we had already mostly moved in. My mom was cleaning and dusting the kitchen and unpacking, while my dad was out picking up another load from the Henderson house. I was riding my bike up and down the sidewalk.

Upon passing one time, I looked through the wispy curtains into the house, and could see my mom placing a fancy porcelain soup dish on the dining room table. My stomach rumbled.

I rode my bike down the driveway and stashed it in the garage. I ran in one of the back doors into the kitchen, grabbed a bowl and spoon from the drainer. My mom asked what I was doing. I told her getting some soup! She asked, what soup, as I pushed through the swinging door into the dining room only to find it still empty. The table wasn't even in the house yet! I told my mom what happened, and she said maybe we had a ghost welcoming us home.

After that we had a series of strange instances, what can only be described as a doppelganger. Everyone in the house would experience someone in the house calling them... Only the person who had done the calling either wasn't there, or hadn't really done the calling. My parents still experience this, even now that my sister and I no longer live there. It mainly occurs right before we show up for a visit too.

Another instance of the doppelganger, skipping ahead in time a little, was when my sister and I were waiting for one of our parents to get home for work so we could go out for the night, Friday night! Therra and her group of friends, and my whole group of friends were all hanging out in the front yard. I was in my bedroom hanging out with my boyfriend. Well suddenly we heard my dad pull in the driveway. I saw the headlights and heard the music blasting and everything. So we headed out to the front yard and waited. And we waited and waited for my dad to come out. I peeked down the driveway thinking maybe he was finishing listening to a song or something. Low and behold, there was no car in the driveway! All of us kids kind of freaked out. And just as we were all in the driveway exclaiming to one another, my dad pulled up for real.

The car pulling in the driveway happened quite a bit after that. Even when I got the Volkswagen Fox, we had seen that night, and dad got a Toyota Tacoma, and mom got a Toyota Rav4. It mainly happened with whatever vehicle dad was driving for some reason.

The first Sunday we lived there, and many there after, we all would smell bacon, eggs, and sausage cooking in the kitchen around 7 am.

Another instance happened when I was about 15. Me, my sister, my mom, and my brother were all in the living room. I was on the floor watching playing with the cat, mom was helping Eric with schoolwork, and I don't know what Therra was doing but she was on the big couch. Suddenly, our dog Abby, and Tabby cat Steve, started going haywire at the area in the dining room, where there was what the Realtor explained as a Strawberry stain, on the rug, (I always thought it looked more like a blood stain.) Abby went mad barking, and the cat fizzed up hissing like crazy!

Ever since then, me and my mother will occasionally see a shadow that roams from the dining room, to the kitchen, and sometimes from the back room (adjoining the rear of the dining room, and is next to the kitchen) and go into the hallway, which is left of the dining room.

At the age of around 16, me, my sister, and my brother all got "new" furniture from an auction. It was antique mahogany and mine was an antique cherry set. I got a four post bed, beautiful dresser, and matching drawers. After this, me and my sister experienced our beds shaking, lightly, like the washer was on, and off balance on spin cycle. I never thought much of it until I experienced it, and I noticed the washer wasn't even on when I had gone to the kitchen for a drink. When I got back the bed was still shaking when I lay on it. I thought maybe it was my heart beating, and it wasn't the same rhythm. I also experienced the scent of a soft perfume wandering through my room sometimes after we got the new furniture.

When hurricane Fran hit us, shadows were darting everywhere around that house, and there was a definite charge in the air other than the excitement of the storm. It really felt like there were more people in that house other than us family, worrying. My skeptic father even mentioned something of it.

One last thing I think might be attributed to the friendly ghosts in that house was the welcoming feeling everyone would say they had at that house. Family and friends alike. You would just get a good feeling like you were where you were supposed to be. A sort of home coming feeling.

In my sister's room, there was a definite uneasiness. But that is the only place I really ever felt uncomfortable. That is all I can remember about that house. If I can think of anything, or my sister or mom reminds me of anything, I will post it.

Oh I just remembered something. This was kind of scary. When we were younger, my father had built me and my sister a loft bed. It was a queen bed on top, and my sister's twin bed and her desk underneath.

I lay on top not really able to sleep. I was staring down at the floor, when I saw a flash of a red dot. I perked my head up thinking that was odd. I remember suddenly getting a really bad feeling. Then I heard this growl. Shivers went down my spine. Then I hear, "Steph? Are you awake?" "Yeah," I say to my sister. "Did you hear that?" "Yeah," I told her. "Can I sleep with you?" "Uh huh!" And with her bed right next to the ladder she scrambled up like a monkey with a lion on her tail.

Shortly after she moved into my brother's room, and he moved into what was the family room. I remember seeing something that looked like a giant cocoon in the corner one night. I read about someone with the same exact experience on another site. But never could get a response from him. He had the growling, then later the cocoon thingy. Strange.

That is definitely all I can remember now! Thanks for reading! I look forward to your input!

Other hauntings by faerielike

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, faerielike, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

reaperkid (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Nice ghost story... Creepy... Like the others who have posted earlier, I am interested with that 'cocoon' thing... I don't believe it could be some manifestation of demons either... 😊
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
Thank you all so much for your input! And thank you Rhodes! Whitebuffalo I find it interesting that more people have experienced that cocoon. I can't say I remember wings, but that experience did happen a long time ago. I could just be forgetting it. What is interesting is from afar it looked like green webby material, and upon closer inspection, it looked more like a slimy green cocoon. But it was huge!
Well, anywhoo, thanks again. I am going to continue researching this oddity! 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
I had a friend whose only paranormal experience ever was that of a cocoon like vision in the corner of his den. The night before he actually saw it, he remembered hearing what could be described as either a growl, a loud purr (like that of a lion, NOT of a house cat), or a deep hum. He described the cocoon as looking like the threads in a spider web.
When my daughter went over to check things out (she is just naturally curious, and was wondering if she would also be able to see it), she described the cocoon a tad bit differently than he had. In HER eyesight, it looked as if the fibers were more closely resembling that of wings.
As my friend had only had the feeling of peace and tranquility in his home, he wondered at the difference of what it LOOKED like to two separate persons. Upon further reflection into the night BEFORE he saw the cocoon, he remembered another sound that was so quiet, if he had not been concentrating so hard on recalling the events, he may not have remembered it at all.
I asked my daughter to try and remember absolutely everything about the experience, and she also heard the sound.
It was that of WINGS.
Based solely on the experiences of my friend, and that of my daughter, I would almost HAVE to conclude that what was seen was actually the furled wings of a Guardian Angel.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Hi faerielike. My best wishes for Christopher's birth;may he live a long and happy life 😊.

I was pleasantly surprised by the welcoming feeling you got when entering your home, something which was obviously confirmed by others as well. I wasn't terrified by the doubles either as they didn't sound threatening. They were partly responsible for the welcoming feeling of the house. I was quite alarmed though by the cocoon-like object as to me it looks more like a warning of something to come or happen. I wish I could be of more help to you but I have absolutely no idea as to what it could be. I hope you keep us posted if you find sth out.

Tammy ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
I am also very interested in the cocoon type thing. I have never heard of this before, it makes me uncomfortable. Probably because of it being unknown.

it sounds as if with the house and the furnoture foerm the auction, there was quite a bit of activity in this house. I am glad that it was a welcoming feeling.

I am going to try to research the cocoon thing a bit.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
I wish I could help you here my friends but I never heard of the "coccoon" thing. But it does sound very creepy and I hope somone here posts you some information about it. Right now I wouldn't worry to much about it. Lets wait and see if anyone knows more
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
I can really refer to the "Coming home feeling" I feel it in this house.
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, I can't help you with the coccoon thing, if I think of something I'll let you know.
Thanks for sharing your experiences:) ❤
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Thanks everyone! I do agree with Oglegen, I am positive there is more than one spirit. There is definitely an older woman, who I felt did live there at one point, and there is a male presence (the shadow man) as well, which I think might have occupied/died on the property. I really get the distinct impression the male presence is a 30-40 year old black male.
I have also recently witnessed, with my mother, my deceased Uncle Weasel. I think he was just popping in to see us before he passed over as he hadn't seen us since we were kids. I have had dreams of that house being a "Spirit House" with many dimensions. The property used to be a nut orchard belonging to the Hancocks. Most of the land was used in their farming.
I am curious what this cocoon thing is myself! The story I read with someone having the same experience was having demon troubles, so I wonder if it is related to demonology, though I have never heard of demons manifesting in such a way. Any input on that will be much appreciated as it has baffled me for years!
Thanks again everyone!
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hi, I thought this was such a great story. It's hard to tell what it is because it sounds like quite a few spirits around and about the place. I've definitely felt more activity during storms, especially electrical ones. It's like the electricity helps the energies connect more to us, or show themselves more to us. Thanks for posting.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
I'm very interested in this "coccoon" thing. Anyone have any comments on this object? Have never heard of anything like it before.

Thanks.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hi faerielike. Good nick name. I believe that the place was hauntyed by a ghost who lived there before. I think it was a women. The ghost probably didn't know it died. That is why it was doing the every day chores. That is a theory. I think the antiques could have made the activity more active. But when the hurricane hit and the activity grew larger, that is hard to explain. Maybe that there was so much stress and fear that the entity could feed of of. I don't believe she wanted do do any harmI liked reading your story and I hope you share other ones soon. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: