You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Strange Happenings On Holiday

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Happenings On Holiday

 

We had a busy holiday this year. Well, I did. But it did not come without incidents. It started with my old Jack-in-the-box. It is old, circa 1978 (even though I wasn't born until 1981), but in good condition. It used to be a toy that my mom kept at my grandparents' house to play with whenever we would visit, so she wouldn't have to drag toys around with us everywhere. I have it now that my Pap Pap passed away and my grandmother lives with my aunt.

The first incident, in a series of incidents that my mother, aunt, cousin and I believe to be Pap Pap, started around the week before Christmas, and involved the Jack in the box. (Coincidentally, Pap Pap's name is Jack). I had the toy sitting on my dresser, and a wooden box of miniature rubber bands on top of it. This wooden box is small, but not very light.

That night I heard shuffling on my dresser, and ignored it and went to sleep. When I woke up, I was startled to see the Jack in the box, out of the box! Its clown face smiled blankly at me giving me a good spook! The first thing that came to mind was Pap Pap and what a prankster he was. What really made me think it was him was when I found the box of rubber bands sitting next to me on the night stand. Not only that, how did it come out of the box without music or waking me? Granted if it popped on its own I could probably sleep through that, but the box of rubber bands... I really think it was him.

The next incident was when I was putting up my Christmas tree; the set of lights I used started blinking. The strands of lights were in perfect working order, and DID NOT have the blinker light in place to make them blink. But for some reason they just started blinking. Then we got to my aunt's house, and she said Pap Pap popped in for a visit. And we asked what happened. She told us that her lights did the same thing; they just started to blink for no apparent reason. Grandma said that the blinking lights were Pap's favorite. So we really think he was popping in to wish us Merry Christmas.

The spookiest holiday haunt happened whilst driving the three and a half hours back from my aunt's house on the night before Christmas Eve.

We got a call from my Dad on his cell phone asking if we had heard from my brother Eric because he hadn't seen or heard from him all day. (And it was around 10pm by this point. Also my Dad has the tendency to forget when we would tell him where we were going.) But we hadn't heard from Eric and knowing Eric is a pretty responsible kid, especially when it comes to letting people know where he is, we begin freaking a little and repeatedly calling Eric's cell phone. No answer. Mom calls Eric's friend David. He hadn't heard from him. We call my brother in law AJ; he had no idea, and was just leaving work.

So I tell mom to blow up Eric's phone with phone calls, so he knows it is urgent. On about the fifth call, this robotic voice answers, "Hello?" Mom asks "Eric?" because the voice sounded so weird. And she says the voice said "He isn't answering a**hole!" And the line went dead.

My mom and I talk about it for about twenty minutes, about how weird it was, and maybe Eric was in real trouble somewhere and someone stole his phone. Just when we are at the peak of our awful thoughts of what terrible things might have happened; Eric called from his girlfriend's phone. He went to the movie and dad forgot. He was fine, and get this; he left his phone on his bed at home! Nobody was there to answer his phone!

There has always been a somewhat sinister feeling in that room in the house. Nothing harmful, just like maybe a grumpy person. Maybe the ghost got tired of the constant ringing?

There were a few more encounters during the holiday season, but those tales will come at another time. It is late!

Happy hauntings to you all!

Other hauntings by faerielike

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, faerielike, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lix80 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
eeeek! 😨 felt chills with the phonecall part.
And with the jack in the box, I have always hated those toys that move on its own. I got one of those really 'cute' clows, with a really cute facial expression that used to move their head with some music... I ALWAYS put the clown outside my room before I went to bed, cause one day the freaking clown started moving his head in the middle of the night, the music woke me up...
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Wow I like the ghost who screamed in the phone. Sounds like something that would happen to me. 😆 Thanks for the story.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Thank! Yeah sometimes it takes a while to get on here with that little guy crawling around getting into everything! Plus I try to space them out so the new ones get a chance to tell their tales! 😉 I can't wait to get a chance to submit more, yet I have to run! Good to hear from you! 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
Hey faerielike, at last you're BACK 😊.

Well, like you just pointed out, I also doubt the voice that responded to your mom's call was Pap-maybe what is in that room was irrited or even happy about your family's distress! Then again it is often said that at times of stress energies gain strength thus it wanted to make its presence known.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the encounters you mentioned so hope to have you back soon!

Take care

Tammy
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
I don't think the phone call was him but the other incidents that happened in the story. Sorry for the confusion. I was being rushed and failed to mention that. Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the confusion. 😉
kwghost (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
yup I agree with Tonithm, I don't think it was your grandfather that answered the phone. You know the jack in the box right? Well I've read some stories about sinister clowns and I would have been really afraid if I actually had a Jack in the box and the thing just leaped out at night 😨, haha thanks for sharing your story with us anyway
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Is that something your Pap would have said when irritated? Called someone an a**hole? If not then whatever is in that room may not be a visiting friendly spirit of Pap Pap but another spirit that has been residing there. If the room has always felt strange maybe that's the reason why. It was nice to see those signs from your grandfather but I don't think it was him who answered the phone lol.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: