You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Personal Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Personal Ghost

 

North Manchester-Haunted Houses -At 104 East 2nd Street there is a big brick house that has apartments in it. We had the entire house as we had a big family. It was months before we discovered it had a second attic, behind a wall in the upstairs kitchen. It joined the upper attic by a passageway. I have seen at least two ghosts at this house and on frequent occasions.

The main apparition is a tall, gangly man, dressed either in period clothing from the 1800's or like the Peabody/Amish ghost. I often wonder if it is not the same being. At least five times that I recall I have seen him and my friends have had a show from him also. He will walk right past you and discount you as anything out of the ordinary. People near me have joked "Maybe he thinks you are the ghost and he is afraid to look at you".

Once, as a friend of mine and I were sitting outside of my house, a shadowy outline of him stood in the window upstairs. I said nothing. I asked my friend if he wanted to go uptown and he answered "Yeah, as long as you don't say anything about that ghost in the window", I said "Oh, you saw that, huh?". We had just left the house, we both knew there was nobody inside.

About a week later that friend and his sister and I were walking late at night. We were going towards their house when we saw that same ghost walking up the steps and on to the porch, heading for the door. We were right behind him going in their front door but there was nobody there when we got inside. We had told her about my ghost before and asked her "Now do you believe?". The answer was yes.

The second known apparition was that of a young, red headed boy that accompanied the other ghost coming down the outside basement steps. If you drive through the alley behind the house, it has those Amityville House kind of eyes. (I always say "that's what you get for building houses with faces"). There were always the classic symptoms of a haunt there like doors shutting on you as you opened them.

The second house I lived at is at 207 West 4th Street. It appears to be the same gangly, Amish looking man I see here. You could not walk the upstairs hallway without shuddering, thinking something was just about to make itself known to you. Doors would open and shut, sometimes in your face as you tried to enter a room. Inanimate objects seemed to take life. Heavy footsteps are heard often from upstairs when nobody is there and in the living room when there is nobody in it. Pictures have fallen off of the walls and landed quite a distance from where they were hung.

I remember a time when a bunch of us were playing cards in the dining room. There came a noise above us that sounded like a soldier marching in his boots. My brother said "Dang your kids are making an awful racket up there" to which I replied "Ummmm, there's nobody here but us". Besides, the way the house is built we were under a flat spot that is the ceiling of the dining room and the slope in the roof. It was impossible for anyone to be walking there. There was an attic space but no access to it.

My sister swears the spirit of our mother lives on in the house. She said she woke up one night while visiting us and a picture of our mother seemed to float across the room and land beside her bed. She could not say she was 100% positive it happened like that, just waking from a sound sleep.

My Personal Ghost

My daughter, when she was an infant, was playing on the floor between the front door and the stairway that leads upstairs. Her focus shifted from her toys to the front door and her head seemed to follow someone walking. She had to reposition herself to crane her neck to see someone behind her and her gaze followed around and all the way up the stairs, crouching to see around the landing and the turn. She stared for a brief second as if the person walked around the turn of the stairs and could no longer be seen and looked at me with a slightly puzzled look, pointed her finger up the stairs and said "Mamaw". My mother died four years before my daughter was born.

An ex girlfriend was in the kitchen and, looking pale as a ghost herself, hustled into the living room and told me she heard a voice in the kitchen. Once, the bathroom door refused to let her out. We left the house later and when we returned, one of the bushes grabbed onto her. In a semi panic she bolted through the front door. I had an old candy dish that was a turtle with a hinged shell and when you pressed the head, the shell opened. As she passed the turtle, it's shell opened up and after a few "I rebuke thees" she vowed never to step foot in that house again, and she didn't.

The ghost got into a stomping fit in my living room when I was on the phone with her and she asked, knowing the answer, "is that him?". She could hear it over the phone. Across the street, the neighbors house burned to the ground. Two houses down, another neighbors house befell the same fate. The wood working factory cattycorner from me went up like kindling. Less than one month after I moved out of the house it too, caught fire.

Other hauntings by scruddud

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scruddud, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Wow this was a very interesting story. I found it very scary. It sounds that you have seen and dealt with a lot of paranormal. Sometimes people can get used to it. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Quite a fascinating account! You seem to have a lot of activity going on wherever you live!

I also think, like Mustang, that the burning of the neighbouring houses was rather the result of a spirit haunting the land than the particular house.

I liked the part about your friend's suggestion that the apparition thinks you're the ghost;it could be the case since he might not have realised he's dead. Strange and sad...
p3t3yo (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
Great story! Email me pics of your old houses! Hope to hear more,

Peter O.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
I am kind of with FRAWIN on his comment. What is it that you truly need help with? It reads as if things are pretty much under control, with the exception of the ghosts possibly startling someone or making them feel uncomfortable.
You know, I think your friend who jokingly suggested that maybe your "gangly" man thinks that YOU are the ghost may be more accurate than what you think. I also like your friend with the "I rebuke thees". Just wondering out loud here, did the candy dish stop opening after the power source was rebuked?
I am wondering if you are able to see the face of the apparition that you describe as a "Peabody/Amish ghost". I did not read any facial features, and was just thinking as I read through this that Quakers were in Indiana for a period of time. In fact, there still are a few communities about. So with the fact that there have been, and still are Amish communities and Quaker communities, there is a chance that this is NOT the same being. Only dressed likewise.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Hello scruddud. First let me say that I like your style, the way you presented the facts and incidents, though some hard to believe, you come across totally credible.
You stated that you need help with what you have experienced, what kind of help do you need as you seem to have a very good handle on the situation. I don't know much but I'll do what I can to help.

FRAWIN
😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Hi scruddud. It sounds like you had a lot of activity from different entities. The gangly man sounds like he was haunting the land rather than the individual houses. Did you ever look up the history of what was on that land before the homes? This gangly man might be a residual haunting since he doesn't pay any attention to anyone when he passes them. That is odd that all of those homes/business' caught on fire in the same area. Good thing you weren't in the house anymore when it caught on fire. Have you seen any paranormal activity in the home you moved to?

SHELBY ❤ 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Scruddud,
Wow. It sounds as if you have had a lot of activity in your homes.

Have you ever asked them why they remain? Have you ever asked them to cross over, to go to the light?

Keep us posted,
God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: