You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Walking Soldier

Real Ghost Stories

Walking Soldier

 

One morning at about 0430 on my way to work I was running late and didn't want to miss morning muster. I live in military housing in Camp Stover which is located on post in Wheeler Army Air Field (one of the first places attacked on Dec. 7th 1941).

It isn't unusual to see troops road march that early in the morning so I didn't think much of it.

As I was driving past the old Army Housing there was a Soldier dressed in Desert Cami's with a full pack on crossing the street.

I had to slow down in order not to hit this guy with my car. I began to get upset because he started walking slower. When I was finally able to pass him I rolled down my passenger window to yell at him, then he disappeared. As soon as the Soldier got to the curb he just vanished.

I had no idea what to think or do so I called my wife on her cell phone and woke her up and told her what happened. She didn't believe me at first but once she heard the fright in my voice she knew it wasn't a joke.

I don't know who that soldier could have been, but since the war started there have been many Hawaii based Soldiers from Schofield Barracks and Wheeler AAF have been killed in combat and helicopter crashes.

Whoever it was, I believe he was just trying to come home.

Other hauntings by tito412

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Hawaii

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tito412, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostreader1000 (34 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
tito,
thanks so much for the story and yes he was more or less trying to get home no thinking he was no longer living. I have seen a couple myself at ft. Sill ok. Just walking up the road in dcu uninforms and passed them looked back they were gone. I wish they just could find peace and go home god bless
jjowen (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
The same thing happened to my husband while we were stationed at fort sill. He said 3 soldiers in full battle rattle were standing in the middle of the road.

I get chicken skin just thinking about it!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Thank you for your story and your service. I feel so sorry for the souls of the departed men and women in arms who have died serving our great country. I wish only the best to them. I can't imagine what I would feel if I were in your position!
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
Great Story, the part where you said you rolled down your window to yell at him cracked me up.

Thanks for Sharing.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
I have said it before, and I can not help but type it again... Hawaii is so FULL of "missed opportunities". I can only imagine at the amount of victims of war that have been wandering the beautiful piece of history that is that island. How bittersweet a place Hawaii must be.
One of the major hardships of war, (and as you know, tito, there ARE many) is that there are those who simply wanted their family to know that they meant so much to them. In their last moments they must have been thinking on those that they loved, and simply wishing they were anywhere save where they were.
The pilot seems to be able to fly home and finish the mission, the foot soldier seems to be able to make it back to muster, and the sailor seems to be able to make that final voyage home.
Let us ALL pray that they ALL make it safely home.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
Thanks for sharring Tito. I liked this story. I wonder what your face looked like when you opened the window and he was gone 😜.Too bad that thsi lost soul can not cross over. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
I believe you 100%. Thank you for your service to our country.

Peace & Respect,

Brian
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
You had every right to be shaken up. Sounds to me like you saw a full blown apparition. Being a soldier I'm sure you don't scare easily so to me your story sounds like the real deal. Plus you are not the only one having these kind of sightings. People are afraid to speak out because of ridicule but the stories get around anyway. I'm sure the ones that have had those encounters are glad to hear it wasn't just them having it.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
I have really enjoyed both of your stories, tito412. Like rhodes68 and FRAWIN, I greatly appreciate your forthrightness and straight forward description. Thank you for taking time to share them.

Your experience must have happened very quickly, but did you happen to note any details about the solider as far as rank or insignia? And, at the time did you have any gut sensations about the soldier slowing? Did you think he was just oblivious to you or doing it deliberately? Thanks.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Well Tito, do you know what your story sounds like... A totally true and honest account of a ghost sighting. I love to read stories that you don't have to question their truthfulness - thank you for that opportunity.

Yes I believe that the soldier was just trying to get home. Let us all pray that all the soldiers that has fallen protecting us finds their way home to the rest and peace that they so richly deserve.

FRAWIN ❤ ❤ ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Thanks for another great account tito412.

Like you said, in a place where so many lives were lost, it's only expected that one would sooner or later come face to face with a lost soul still trying to go home or back to his camp. It's so sad when you consider the dreadful outcome of war even for a soldier like you. But then again, someone has to be there when our countries need us the most-when we count on the few to keep us safe.

I appreciate your honesty when talking about the terror you felt at the sight of the apparition since many of us would intentionally leave this part out to avoid embarrassment.

Hope to have you back soon again with another experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: