You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost Soldier

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Soldier

 

I have had many paranormal happenings throughout my life however this one is fairly recent and is quite a bittersweet one at that.

It happened this year in around January, where I first met the ghost of a young man who had seemingly bonded with me. Not in a romantic way of course but more a confiding way, now I should say it was in my local graveyard.

This graveyard does indeed contain a war memorial, with the soldier's name on it, there are many names though. Due to safety and privacy reasons I will not be sharing his name or the location.

The Soldier - let\'s call him 'X' for the purpose of this account - was around nineteen to twenty one years old when he had died. His rank was a private and he died in the upper reaches of France in World War One.

I know this because his ghost had told me this information. Wether it be in my dreams or just outright telepathically.

The creepiest thing about this was is that I recently found a document which matched exactly everything he had told me about himself. Proving that this was indeed a real ghost who was confiding in me and not some delusion.

X had been quite solemn and depressed before I had met him, but over the next few weeks strange things had started happening as we grew closer together.

We would regularly talk about the war and his own life experiences. I had begun to notice he had started waiting for me sometimes. And, that he was easily curious. But for a man who died so young you'd probably have to expect that I guess.

I started finding pennies at my feet and even white feathers too. Now, it should be noted that I too was once very depressed. However, when I found these little things - Even in the most obscure and obvious of places - I instantly felt happier.

Not to mention X had started becoming happier as well, I visited his memorial often and he'd often visit me back. His presence had changed from cold and heavy to warm and light. I could tell he sometimes watched me when I was alone but not in a way which would scare me. It was more comforting and as if it was concerned.

The experiences increased in intensity where I eventually found a plastic poppy in my house, I stuck it in my room only to find it had mysteriously been moved a couple of times before it disappeared completely. And, that a shadow figure of a young man had been peering around my bedroom door when I woke up in the night.

It never felt malicious at all. Infact, I'd go as far to say I was amazed at what I saw before he quickly retreated into the darkness again.

I do believe X still watches over me and considers me a friend. I do still feel that warm energy sometimes and I do still find white feathers in my wake however they are always in pairs.

Maybe X is with my other ghost friend. But wherever he is... I hope he is indeed happy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cecil-XII, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+6
6 years ago (2018-08-18)
DC & lady-glow: Cecil's story is an odd one.

(Cecil XII... Interesting name... It's not a Papal reference, nor to the British noble family; perhaps Night Vale? Wish you were still here to clarify that.)

The families of serving soldiers or deceased soldiers used to distribute white feathers to men who were not in the military, demonstrating that the recipient was a coward for not enlisting. They had lost a loved one, so they felt that embarrassing others into enlisting was their right and, while expressing their scorn, white feathers are not menacing objects unless you have a severe allergy. The exact opposite of this old-fashioned public shaming was the distribution of bright red poppies, given distributed as a sign of having donated to a veterans charity. Eventually, the red plastic poppy -which lasts a bit longer- replaced the actual poppy for Remembrance Sunday, Britain's annual observation of the end of WWI.

I don't doubt that ghosts & spirits may leave gifts (there are multiple encounters on YGS that have specifically mentioned coins or colorful feathers), but I'd like to point out that Cecil provides the resolution to the phenomenon of finding pennies. "The pennies were in woods or paths that... People hardly ever go down." So: 1) very few people use these paths; 2) coins are lying around undisturbed; 3) you find & keep them. Who else would you expect to have found the coins? Don't overlook the fact you're in Britain where -about a decade ago- a man in a field found a sack of coins left by bloody Romans.

Just a few observations,
Biblio.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
DC,

I don't think anyone is super knowledgeable when it comes to the paranormal. 😜 Your input, opinions and experiences are always appreciated. 😊

❤ Dee
DirtCreature (guest)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
Hi Dee 😁

If I don't have much to say I don't typically comment. Plus I'm not super knowledgeable about paranormal/supernatural stuff so I leave a lot of the commenting to others lol.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
DC!

You little lurker! Where have you been hiding? Good to see your name pop up. 😊

Dee
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
I take a lot of ygs accounts lightly because I'm sure many of the posters and stories have not been truthful. But it still bothers me when people go out of their way to lie. Getting a kick out of mocking others maybe? Or wanting to be apart of the group?

Yeah I see now. Their details don't make sense at all.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
DirtCreature - here's the link to Cecil's other stories:

Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25902

Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25887

In my opinion, her comments on the second linked story, and her decision to close her account instead of answering our questions speaks volumes about the credibility of her stories. 😐
DirtCreature (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
I suspected falsehood with this author but I haven't been lurking for a while. When did the bubble burst on their story not being true? I'm outta the loop 😲

This comment from Cups is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
SleepingWithSteve - meaning no offense but, before assuming "Steve" is real, it would be a good idea to get a medical evaluation for possible behavioural disorders and, perhaps google about wet dreams?

Sorry to burst your bubble but, unfortunately, the author of this lovely story wasn't exactly... Truthful?
SleepingWithSteve (guest)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-10)
Your story is a lovely one.

Its hard to tell if we're dreaming or if its reality.

I have a regular visitor called Steven who visits me mosts nights. Just like you I wake up and question if it was a dream or real.

Steven never scares me.

For the first time last night I was courageous enough to ask him questions. I asked him his name, where he's from and how old he was.

I'm not sure if what he told me was the truth because he stalled before answering and said, 'OK, let's do this'. He then answered my questions.

All in all I think your friend has moved on and he probably has you to thank for that. You helped him find happiness again and in return he gave you happiness.

Tell us more. 😆
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-23)
Hello again Cups and lady-glow,

Do forgive me for the late reply, I got caught up in other things, but I thought I might as well merge these into one reply if you don't mind of course.

All things considered Cups, I have always been open-minded and bloody hell is life truly better this way, it makes things so interesting! Of course, I do try my best not to let people get me down. I appreciate your kind words, thank you.

Lady-glow, hello again. I would say I do have a tendency to get confused and over-think sometimes. But the coins are quite a convincing piece of evidence. I am leaning more towards the side he left them before he passed on.

Kind regards, Cecil.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Cecil,

Stay open minded; life is more interesting that way. 😉 I understand about non believers and skeptics... I only have a few close friends and family I can discuss these things with. I have opened a few minds along the way, which is wonderful. Also, just mentioning something that is considered paranormal or spiritual in certain situations has enabled the other person to 'unleash' their own experiences. It's always awesome to see the relief in their eyes when they are able to unburden themselves.

You never know when you'll encounter the next like minded person. 😊

Dee ❤
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Greetings, Z!

Hopefully you don't mind me calling you that. But it's okay! I understand we can misinterpret things sometimes and I often really don't like jumping to conclusions without hard reasoning...

Don't feel bad, I understand you meant no harm.

I'm glad at least some people are finding this credible, most people in today's society are indeed skeptics... Which is a shame.

I will indeed try to share some interesting stories if I do have time.

Kind regards,

Cecil.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+6
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Hello there Cecil!

I didn't mean to be rude from my comments. We do take stories here with an open mind. I do hope I didn't offend you in some ways. Please also consider that since you have left after posting this story, speculations from the reader will arouse. But since you're already here proves the credibility of your story.

Please do not be ashamed in posting your experiences in this platform because we all had that feeling before.

I would like to read more stories from you...

Peace,

Z ❤ ❤ ❤
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Thank you for the quick reply, Cecil! And thank you for clarifying things for me... The speaking in your mind is what I imagined, but I don't like to make assumptions.

Try not to let "non-believers" get you down! I realize it can be difficult at times; I've felt like a kookoo bird a time or two myself. Personally I tend to keep things to myself for that very reason.

I think you'll find this community to be very supportive & insightful if you care to share more of your experiences!

-Cups
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
", I was beginning to get a little skeptical about the whole thing at one point..."

IF it had been me, the pennies would have been convincing enough, though I would have asked for coins of a higher value as a proof that he's listening.🤑
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Hello, Cups!

I'm appreciative of your reply, do forgive my panicky mishaps... I'm just one who tends to overthink.

As for your questions, I'd be happy to clarify.

As for him communicating with me... It actually felt like he was talking in my minds eye. In my head. It felt like an actual person speaking.

As for the other question, it was my own self-doubt, I was beginning to get a little skeptical about the whole thing at one point... Confusion is a hard thing for me to deal with because I see things as just black and white... I have trouble seeing the grey.

It's just I've had so many people saying different things that it's hard to come to a proper conclusion... But in my own opinion I do think he did exist and that he did indeed communicate with me.

I guess other people's opinions got to my head a bit to much.

Still, I appreciate your curiousity! Thank you!

Kind regards, Cecil.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Hi Cecil,

Your account states, "Proving that this was indeed a real ghost who was confiding in me and not some delusion." and then later you say "I don't really think it was real... I was probably just imagining the whole thing". With all due respect, which is it? This is certainly not the place to feel embarrassed about unexplained encounters - we are all in the same boat. 😉

"We would regularly talk about the war and his own life experiences." Can you elaborate? Was this all a conversation in your "mind's eye"? I'm curious if it was more of a feeling, like a movie in your mind, or if you felt the soldier was speaking to you.

Glad you came back to join the conversation - we are an inquisitive bunch!
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
lady-glow,

Hello there, I would say I actually walked by the graveyard, he never actually followed me home, he seemed to respect my space and stayed at the graveyard.

I think he only came by once to stay, he didn't actually cause a ruckus but by that time I knew he was ready to somewhat leave.

By leave, I mean pass on. I think he was just there to say thank you for hearing him out and for helping him.

As for the pennies, they are quite a range... I've had a few from the 50's - 60's but most are from the 80's - 00's. I think they could have been pennies people had dropped... But I never understood why the pennies were in woods or paths that I know people hardly ever go down.

It's been nice hearing from you, your welcome of course, I may do post about the other ghost but it seems people are a bit skeptical, rightly so I guess... Not many people tend to believe in things that are very unusual.

Kind regards, Cecil.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Cecil - I'm glad you're back.

I have some questions about your experience and will appreciate your feedback:

"I had begun to notice he had started waiting for me sometimes."

Do you mean he would leave the graveyard and go looking for you, or do you have to walk by the cemetery on your way home?
I see that, eventually, he seem to have 'moved' into your place - how long did it take for him to go to your place after your first encounter?

About the pennies - are they from an specific year? Are they old coins or modern ones?

I hope you'll share a story about your "other ghost friend" one of this days.

Thanks for sharing and welcome back.
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Zaruje,

Hello, I would ask that you refer to lady-glow's comments, she seems to have some good points. I'd ask that maybe you take this story with a pinch of an open-mind, but I do believe 'X' has actually passed on. I do not hear from him anymore.

Kind regards, Cecil
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
lady-glow,

Hello, do forgive my sudden absence. I had left due to some panic after writing this. I thought I was just fantasising the whole thing.

What questions do you have? Maybe we could come to some sort of conclusion which is logical?

Kind regards, Cecil.
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
CuriousDee,

I think he may of actually, which is really nice. I'm kind of glad I was able to help him in a way.

I have always been open-minded and quite spiritually inclined, so maybe that's why I keep sensing these entities, I may have abilities but my family seems to think it's just all crazy fantasy...But, I think that's because they aren't really believers in the paranormal, so I don't blame them.

I do have some more stories I could share, however I feel a little apprehensive about posting them.

Thanks for your input, Dee.

It's really cleared the situation up.

Kind regards, Cecil.:)
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Cecil,

Ok, that makes sense. I know kids are usually open to spirit and energy. As an adult, it points to mediumistic abilities. Perhaps you fall in that category?

I hope X moved on as well. ❤

Dee
Cecil-XII (guest)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Hello, CuriousDee.

I will say I have, yes. With a few different entities. But, these mostly happened when I was a child, maybe I was just confused at the time.

I've been trying to come to a conclusion, wether this actually is something or just a trick of my mind.

He could be something like that, but he felt more like a ghost. I no longer sense or hear from him anymore which makes me believe he maybe passed on.

Kind regards,

- Cecil
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Cecil,

Please don't be embarrassed. Members ask questions to understand your situation better. I was wondering if you've experienced this before? Communicating with spirits?

Maybe X is a guide? I'm not sure, just a thought.
😊

Dee
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
I'll just stick around unless anyone does actually have anything to say. Anyway, I'd prefer it if you'd not talk about it.
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Maybe it's better if we just left this story in the dust. I don't really think it was real... I was probably just imagining the whole thing... I'm sorry.
Cecil-XII (guest)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-17)
Hello everyone! I'm sorry I left. I'm glad I have actually gotten some replies to my story.

I admit maybe I have been seeing or hearing things... But honestly I do not know myself what is happening.

Maybe I'm just an idiot... I left because of embarrassment after posting this.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+6
6 years ago (2018-07-16)
Zaruje - after the so many stories about children's 'imaginary' friends, I imagine it is possible to befriend a ghost, perhaps this happens because children might not be aware about where to go after their passing or, even worse, not knowing that they do not belong into this plane anymore.

For older people, their spirits tend to hold to the circumstances/moment of their death though, some of them might be afraid of what might be waiting for them on the other side. In some cases religious expectations can become a burden (just my opinion).

I'm not sure about this particular story... It reads like a teenage dream-romance. Only Cecil-XII holds the information that could help understanding her story.

But, she's gone!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: