You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Burnt Soldier

Real Ghost Stories

Burnt Soldier

 

My experience of seeing a ghost happened around 15 years ago now, but I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I was 15 years old at the time and I was still living at my parents' house. There was absolutely nothing spooky about their house at all, it was very modern in a newly built up area, nothing to suggest that any hauntings would take place. In my bedroom, my bed faced the door which looked out onto our landing. One night around midnight I woke up and gazed towards my bedroom door and I saw a dark figure stood there.

At first I wasn't sure if I was imagining it but the more I focused on it, the clearer it seemed to get and I knew it wasn't my imagination. It was a tall gentleman and he was wearing what looked like to be an old British army trench coat. He was also wearing a helmet, so I guessed that he must have been a Solider. I didn't feel scared, in fact, I can remember feeling emotionless and very calm. He was stood at a slight angle, so I could only see the side of his face which looked very badly burnt and his head was swaying very slowly, it looked like he was in pain. I can't remember how long I was looking at him for, but I eventually drifted back to sleep.

The next morning, I told my Mum and she looked shocked. She told me that my Dad always says that he sees a burnt solider on the landing or on our stairs. My dad has never mentioned this to anyone else and it isn't something that he would make up or joke about.

I have since moved out and live with my husband and children. I recently asked my Dad if he still sees George (the nickname we gave him) and he replied that he hasn't seen him since I moved out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LydiaJacob, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-01)
Hi LJ, an interesting account.

Could 'George' be a relative of your family? I'm curious as he had been sighted by both yourself and your father?

Also, just one more thing, do you or your family know anything about the history of this location? Seeing somebody like a wounded soldier, makes me think that this area may have been used previously as a respite for returned servicemen (quite possibly from WWI or II)?

Cheers & thanks for sharing. 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-30)
Hi Lydia,

Very interesting account. I, like Cuddlebear, am wondering where the name George came from? I grew up in an 'active' house and my mother nicknamed the grumpy resident spirit George. Did your family do the same?

It's interesting that you felt no fear. At first, I thought you experienced something called Hypnopompic Hallucinations, but your family members saw him too, so that doesn't fit. Maybe some research will help answer your questions?

Looking forward to your response, thanks for sharing
Dee
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-30)
Hello and Welcome to YGS!

I am very curious - Did you see George only the once?

How did you come up with then name George?

I ask because this really reminds me of a ghost my mother used to see, that I saw, or thought I saw, once.

It is extremely interesting that you described him as a gentleman.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-30)
Perhaps, "George" was drawn to the home by you and your father- maybe he saw himself and an echo of the life he was never able to return to in you. I think some entities can influence our emotions- and, if that's so, it would seem as though he was doing all he could not to disturb you in any way - perhaps he even had a hand in your so quickly falling back asleep. It would seem to me as though he only wanted to watch you sleep - in a sweet nostalgic way, not a creepy one.

Maybe he has not been seen since because the image no longer fits - it was the youthful family unit that he missed - once you grew up and moved away, that was a portion of life he wasn't able to experience for himself so it was no longer relevant enough to hold him or was then more painful than pleasant.

Do you know the history of the development where you lived? Were there once older homes there? Perhaps a airplane came down there during the war? Perhaps some sort of army medical facility was there or nearby?

I do hope his gentle soul has found peace and home once more ❤
RSAChick (115 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-29)
Hi LydiaJacob, welcome!
I would have been terrified at seeing a stranger in my house, so your reaction is very strange to me.
How did you know it wasn't an intruder?
You also had no emotions seeing someone in pain and fell back to sleep. Any idea why you would have such a reaction?
Is it possible that George came to you in a dream instead of appearing on the landing as he did for your father? I believe that you both saw the same being, just wondering if you were perhaps in a dreamlike state?
I wonder what he wanted? Or if he was just a residual energy.
Anyway, it seems he has crossed over so hope he can now rest in peace.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: