You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Paulding Light

Real Ghost Stories

Paulding Light

 

This story was a wonderful and comical experience.

A few years back I went to visit some friends in Houghton MI for a weekend. On Saturday night we went out to see the local haunting, a popular spot. If I remember correctly we went to what might have been a national park, there was a large path that took us through a field of tall grass.

After a few minutes of walking I would start to feel intensely frightened, would take two steps and feel fine. This happened two or three times. It was very unnerving, but we kept going. One person suggested that it may be residual feelings from other people who have come by.

I think it was a fifteen minute trip when we decided to stop. The sight its self was a simple. It was a white globe that was moving there was no tail while it moved and, from our distance, nothing that looked like it was man made. There was no pattern that I could see, it was graceful. It seemed peaceful.

After a while of watching the globe, we started talking about heading back to the house. When I looked down to see a figure that looked like a Romero zombie coming out of the ground! When it got closer I realized it was a very drunk girl who had decided to move in closer to the globe and was crawling up the steep incline we had decided to stop at. It was an odd way to end the night. We had a good laugh at that.

The legend I heard about the lights is about an old railway man who still walks his line after an accident. The trail runs along the line of an old track, but I do not remember if the track was still there or not. Either way it was an interesting time and one day I want to return.

I wish I could tell you exactly where it is, but I do not know the area well enough and it was out a ways from the town. Also, we were not doing any official ghost hunting, though one day I think I might want to go back and get closer.

I have terrible night vision from living in the city all my life.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shada, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
wow that was a very interesting story. I think I heard of this site but I'm not sure. Anyway thanks for sharring this very interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
I have heard of these lights and hope to visit the site one day.

Thank you for sharing your experience! It was entertaining as well as funny!

God Bless!
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
Shada, it sounds to me as if old railway men bob up in a lot of places! There are two legends in North Carolina of railroaders having been decapitated in accidents who are still looking for their missing craniums (crania? 😁) --the most famous is the Maco Light, near Wilmington, and the other is the Vander Light, near Fayetteville. I'm not entirely certain that the Vander Light legend wasn't inspired by that of the Maco Light.

The Brown Mountain Lights, now, are a totally different matter. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: